Menu

Walking/jogging burning feet?

Murphy101

So when I’ve been walking for a while I start to feel like the bottom of my feet are burning. Especially the balls of my toes. It feels sorta like I’m giving myself a carpet burn as a step as my foot slides in the shoe?

I think I have good shoes. Sketchers, several pairs, but it doesn’t seem to matter which sneakers I wear. I’ve changed socks and knit socks and that doesn’t seem to help either. 

Anyone have a remedy for this? It’s really aggravating after an hour or two and I’ve never had his problem before. 

Edited by Murphy101

Hi Murphy,

I'm far from an expert. . . so if I'm on the wrong track, I apologize.

As I've been working with a neurologist trying to figure out what my problem is, I've learned about something called neuropathy. I have it in my two big toes. My toes are semi-numb, but apparently neuropathy usually comes with pain.

I'd say, take this seriously and see a podiatrist and don't let anyone blow you off. My understanding is that neuropathy doesn't get better on it's own.

Take care,

Alley

7 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Hi Murphy,

I'm far from an expert. . . so if I'm on the wrong track, I apologize.

As I've been working with a neurologist trying to figure out what my problem is, I've learned about something called neuropathy. I have it in my two big toes. My toes are semi-numb, but apparently neuropathy usually comes with pain.

I'd say, take this seriously and see a podiatrist and don't let anyone blow you off. My understanding is that neuropathy doesn't get better on it's own.

Take care,

Alley

But if it’s neuropathy, wouldn’t it be that way no matter what shoes I’m wearing?

It only happens when I wearing socks and sneakers. Heels? No. Sandals? No. Barefoot? No. Sneakers? Every time.

You could be having a problem related to allergy to your shoes, or allergy to detergent the socks are washed in that takes a while rubbing to manifest. You could even be having an allergic reaction to something you are going past. 

I have had similar reactions, and if yours is allergy related rather than something like neuropathy you need to suss out what is the thing provoking the allergy. 

Does the same thing happen if you walk an equivalent distance in some other shoes and such as sockless sandals?  And does it happen no matter where you walk? 

Also, look at the bottom of your feet, do the look red or chafed?

If there is actual chafing, you probably do need different shoes, and as well, if you go to a good runner store they may be able to help. For example there are spray on things that runners can use to avoid blisters. Insoles that can improve fit. ...

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

I switched shoes, simply needed a better sole and cushion for my foot.  Clarks and Asics.  Also build up, don't go from an hour a day to four of walking,

Neuropathy for me has a lot to do with room in the toe box, it takes some searching. 

I’m not trying to build up. I walk a lot and always have. The only time I sit is when knitting or driving. I’m antsy by nature. But this burning is new. 

Sometimes it is the fatigue from the exercise that is triggering the neuropathy. So if you only walk or run long distances in the "gym" shoes then maybe that is why you only notice it when you are wearing those shoes.

I agree that burning could be a sign of neuropathy. Neuropathy could be caused by a lot of different causes, including vitamin deficiencies, neurological disorders and diabetes. I do recommend you get to a doctor to start investigating it.  It can take 3-6 months to get into a neurologist here. Even if it is nothing, getting the ball rolling is pretty important. 

I have that happen when I have shoes too tight on the top of my feet. I do something like this, but I tend to skip 3 holes, then at the top I do this loop trick to keep the shoes from slipping on my heels.  I'll try to find a picture of that too.

Shoe-lacing_high-arches_I.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

I have that happen when I have shoes too tight on the top of my feet. I do something like this, but I tend to skip 3 holes, then at the top I do this loop trick to keep the shoes from slipping on my heels.  I'll try to find a picture of that too.

Shoe-lacing_high-arches_I.png

I do have high arches and that's why I like sketchers bc they are wide without presuming flat footed.  I'll try this lace trick and see if it helps.

ugh.  So what's the point of seeking help for neuropathy if there's no cure or much treatment for it beyond pain killers? It's not bad enough that I'd take pain meds, not even Tylenol.  Tho I do go to a chiropractor for maintence bc of a bad back. 

Is it all the toes?

I struggled over a number of years with Morton's Neuroma. It just came on suddenly if I recollect, and worsened over time. One early sign for me was burning in that area. It's been a while since I've struggled so I can't remember whether I felt that was all toes, but I suspect it was in the area of the neuroma itself. 

From my experience, if changing shoes doesn't help you I would see a podiatrist.

I initially tried all kinds of things to manage my foot pain (not knowing was it was) and got far worse as a result. I wished I had been diagnosed and treated long before I was. 

13 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I do have high arches and that's why I like sketchers bc they are wide without presuming flat footed.  I'll try this lace trick and see if it helps.

ugh.  So what's the point of seeking help for neuropathy if there's no cure or much treatment for it beyond pain killers? It's not bad enough that I'd take pain meds, not even Tylenol.  Tho I do go to a chiropractor for maintence bc of a bad back. 

If you have neuropathy it is important to rule out cause being something treatable like B12 deficiency.   Or diabetes .  Or other things that something could be done about in part or perhaps completely  

If it were me and I thought neuropathy could be the problem I would probably be self medicating with B12

I'd say step one (ha), different shoes.

I was getting burning discomfort there on the elliptical through two different pairs of shoes.  On a third pair, it almost never happens.  When it does, I think I usually have my laces too tight.  For what it's worth, the third pair is my only pair of high top style shoes, and the soles are less "flexy" than the other two. (Adidas cross trainers)

• Like 1

I had that problem for years.  I went to a podiatrist. It was a long time ago and other than Dr Scholl's arch supports from the drugstore, the choice was custom orthotics. He made me some, and the relief was near instant once I put them in my shoes. Since then I have learned that my problem is overpronation. Now I buy stability shoes that keep my foot from rolling.  And I use Katy's lock-lacing lacing method.  

Before trying the doctor, you could go to a store that specializes in running and walking shoes. They will fit you and analyze your gait.  

I have read that Skechers are not particularly supportive.

When you say you've been wearing your shoes for years, do you mean that brand/style, or those particular pairs of shoes?  I'm hoping not the same walking shoes for years.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I had that problem for years.  I went to a podiatrist. It was a long time ago and other than Dr Scholl's arch supports from the drugstore, the choice was custom orthotics. He made me some, and the relief was near instant once I put them in my shoes. Since then I have learned that my problem is overpronation. Now I buy stability shoes that keep my foot from rolling.  And I use Katy's lock-lacing lacing method.  

Before trying the doctor, you could go to a store that specializes in running and walking shoes. They will fit you and analyze your gait.  

I have read that Skechers are not particularly supportive.

When you say you've been wearing your shoes for years, do you mean that brand/style, or those particular pairs of shoes?  I'm hoping not the same walking shoes for years.  

No, just that brand/style.  My shoes wear out to fast to last years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I guess it could be, but I've been wearing these shoes for years. Hmm.

Have you literally been wearing the shoes for years?  lol  Because you may need new ones just to get proper cushioning.  (I don't find Skechers to be all that awesome for support or cushioning, honestly. I would go to a running shoe store and get fit with something better!)

For pain on the top of your foot: You can buy elastic laces, if you aren't up for different lacing styles. It helps reduce pressure on the top of the foot.

For pain on the bottom of your foot: You could have plantar fasciitis. Get shoes with the best support you can, and change them out after a year, or sooner depending on how much you walk/run. Try going to a specialize running store. The brands I've used with success are: Asics, Nike, Brooks, Mizuno, Adidas, Yonex (tennis). Be prepared to spend around $100 at least.  To help with the pain, you can use a foam roller or tennis ball to massage the bottom of your feet.

For pain from rubbing: Body glide. You apply it like deodorant in areas where you feel friction pain and rubbing.

Edited by wintermom

It sounds like a friction issue.  I would start with changing socks, choose well fitting socks without cotton in them. I prefer socks with a lot of cushioning in the forefoot like Balega, but there are a ton of brands. 

My next step would be a different brand of shoes and/or a good insole like Power Steps. Go to a specialty store and get properly fitted. Feet change as we age, lose weight, and gain weight. Also, shoe manufacturers change their shoes frequently. I may like version 1,2,and 3 of a shoe but when 4 comes out something has changed that no longer works for me. 

Good luck!