Menu

So what do you secular hsers use for language arts?

mo2

I'm still kicking around the idea of using LLATL and just trying to modify the religious parts. But to help me make my decision, can those of you who are secuar hsers tell me what you use to make up your language arts program? I mean to include phonics, handwriting, grammar, spelling, writing.

Thanks!

My oldest was a natural reader. I didn't really use anything to teach her to read. My middle dd had an auditory processing delay that affected her speech. I used Reading Reflex to improve her speech and it had the added benefit of teaching her to read as well. All the other programs in the list were used with my dyslexic dd only. Dyslexics need far more reading instruction than other kids. Either you buy a lot of different things or you end up endlessly repeating the same thing over and over. My dd couldn't deal with doing the same thing more than 2 or 3 times, so I had to keep getting other things to give her something else to practice with.

Reading Reflex

Explode the Code (My oldest used ETC for spelling; my middle used it for reading; it moved too fast for my youngest.)

Headsprout

I See Sam readers

Funnix level 2 (starts where Headsprout leaves off)

Phonics for Reading from Curriculum Associates (remedial reading program)

Rewards Reading (remedial reading program)

Grammar:

SL LA didn't work well for us and required adapting.

Easy Grammar was okay, but my kids didn't retain it at all.

Flashkids Language Arts worked fine for my middle dd, but it got tedious after she'd used it for 3 years.

Hake Grammar worked great for my oldest, but would have driven my other two kids insane.

Winston Grammar is working fine for my two younger girls.

writing:

Wordsmith Apprentice was just busywork for my kids. It didn't help at all.

Writing Strands was torturous. None of my kids made it past the 4th lesson.

SL's writing instruction was nonexistent - great writing assignments, but no instruction

Four-Square writing looked like a good program, but it didn't have enough instruction.

Institute for Excellence in Writing is the first program that has really worked here.

My two older girls did Student Writing Intensive level B.

After that, my oldest did US History-Based Writing Lessons and my middle dd just used IEW methodology.

This year my oldest is using IEW methodology, my middle is using US History-based, and my youngest is using Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales.

spelling:

My oldest hated Spelling Workout and did well with Spelling Power.

My middle hated Spelling Workout and Spelling Power, but does well with Megawords.

My youngest (dyslexic) didn't do well with any program until Sequential Spelling.

handwriting:

My oldest used Getty-Dubay Italic.

My middle used Handwriting without Tears on the recommendation of her occupational therapist. She has fine motor delays that are never going to go away, so her handwriting is not the best. It's legible though.

My youngest also used HWOT.

Some of the things we've used:

ABeCeDarian

Megawords

Sequential Spelling

Apples and Pears

Rod and Staff Grammar (not secular, but it was the best grammar program I could find, so we modified it)

We tried lots of different writing programs and didn't like any of them, until we caved and bought IEW. It's not secular but I didn't have any problems with it. It was hands down the best writing program, for us.

We are now using K12 for 6th and 8th grade. I am very happy with their Language Arts program. I don't know anything about K12 for younger grades though.

Phonics - Hooked on Phonics

Handwriting - We just pick up workbooks. (B&N, Borders, Target, school supply stores) We also do quite a bit of copywork.

Spelling - Sequential Spelling (Also copywork and dictation in Classical Writing)

Grammar - First Language Lessons 1/2, Michael Clay Thompson's grammar and vocabulary and Good English (free on Google books)

Writing - Classical Writing and Michael Clay Thompson's writing (I also have Put That in Writing on the shelf in case I feel like we need it.)

Here's what we're using

For 1st grader

Phonics--Hooked on Phonics

Spelling--All About Spelling Level 1 at a very casual pace

Grammar--Growing with Grammar 1 (I love this one as it's completely secular and dd is really retaining with it)

Handwriting--Handwriting without tears (we were using Happy Scribe copy books, but they love HWOT much better and there handwriting has really improved)

Writing-- Writing with Ease, I'm really enjoying this program, and love that the workbook lays it all out for me.

For my 4th grader we're not doing phonics anymore but he also uses GWG, WWE, HWOT, and AAS were doing level 1 at an accelerated pace to make sure we fill the gaps here. We're also going to start Wordly Wise for vocab soon.

HTH

Handwriting/Copywork

-- Getty-Dubay Italics (this is working out very well)

-- For copywork we use amusing stories with rich vocabulary. Currently DD is copying some of Kipling's Just So Stories when I do our history read alouds. I purchased the font from Educational Fontware.

Grammar/Writing/Vocabulary/Poetry

-- Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts Program

-- We do little in the way of formal writing at this stage because DD is only 6, preferring to concentrate on copywork instead. She writes her own stories, poems, and songs, but this is not required.

-- I'm leaning towards using at least some elements from Writer's Jungle when the time comes for more formal writing, but I haven't yet looked at Michael Clay Thompson's middle school series.

Spelling

-- Megawords, and formerly Sequential Spelling. I don't have a recommendation for 1st-2nd grade spelling.

I have the opposite problem than you. I am trying to inject my religion into our school day in the right way. But anyway..

FLL 1, 2, and 3 are sooooo good. Writing with Ease program is also good. It's easy for me and the kids.

HWT for handwriting though I am thinking of moving the oldest to something fancier like the Spencerian program.

Writing

Writing with Ease

Just Write

IEW

Handwriting

HWT

Startwrite

GD italic was great for my ds. my dd hated it so we do hwt for her.

Grammar

FLL - I tried FLL 1/2 with dd,but it didn't work for her. I plan to use 3 for her next year. I used SHurley grammar for my ds and I have also used WInston gammar. If FLL3 doesn't work next year, then we will probably go with AG later on. For now doing grammar in context of the writing and copywork is enough for second grade.

Spelling

copywork made with startwrite

Phonics and Reading

Leapfrog and Phonics Pathways

lots and lots of rich literature and reading. especially folk and fairy tales from many cultures and countries.

I'm still kicking around the idea of using LLATL and just trying to modify the religious parts. But to help me make my decision, can those of you who are secuar hsers tell me what you use to make up your language arts program? I mean to include phonics, handwriting, grammar, spelling, writing.

Thanks!

We use Hooked on Phonics and Explode the Code for phonics, Handwriting without Tears for handwriting, Growing with Grammar for grammar, All About Spelling for spelling, and Writing with Ease for writing. I'm very happy with all of them. :)

I'll be starting Lively Latin with my third-grader probably in January.

ETA: Reading aloud is also a big part of our school. :) Lately I've been reading a different chapter book to each child because they have different interests and it gets LOUD when I try to read the same book to all of them.

Edited by Veritaserum

Learning to Read

Reading Reflex

Bob books

Phonetic Readers

Then just books. When they could read books I pretty much let them read, alone and with me, and relied on Sequential Spelling to help me reinforce phonetics.

Spelling

Sequential Spelling staring in 2nd grade (no spelling before then) I actually also use this program to reinforce phonetics and to cover basic grammar at this stage. It lends itself very well to this.

Spelling Wisdom - I've just started using this for my natural speller who isn't really in need of instruction, but she loves spelling.

Grammar

Editor in Chief - starting in 3rd grade and ongoing

Punctuation Puzzlers - I've only added those this year in 5th

Easy Grammar - also added this year, started in 5th grade with level 6.

Foreign language - they are learning two, started preK. I think this may be why I haven't felt the need to hammer them with lots of grammar.

Also, I'm a grammar and language weenie and have felt very comfortable just injecting this stuff organically where it comes up.

Before third grade I mostly just talked about it as things came up in Sequential Spelling. Mad Libs are always fun.

Writing

Barbara Mariconda's Best Writing Lessons Ever - did this in a class, but I think it would be very easy to implement at home.

Writing with Ease level 2, just added only for my youngest who is almost 8 - she needed extra, and this is really fitting the bill.

Handwriting

Getty-Dubay Italic series. This has been great.

Thanks!

For grades 1-3 I use Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code, First Language Lessons, the ideas behind Writing With Ease, and whatever handwriting program comes to hand.

For later years I use Classical Writing and Latin.

We are still in the learning to read stage, but this is what we use/used:

LeapFrog Talking Letter Factory and Talking Word Factory

ABeCeDarian Reading

http://www.readingeggs.com

http://www.starfall.com

For practice we have a Dick and Jane reader, McGuffey's Primer, BOB Books, and Nora Gaydos readers

We tried ETC, but it moved too slow for us, with too much writing at the time.

For handwriting we use Handwriting Without Tears.

Once we finish ABeCeDarian, I'm planning to use Sequential Spelling and Moving Beyond the Page, since it covers LA, SS and science.

We're secular here and we use LLATL. I find it easy to tweak so far, but I've only used Blue & Red.

We also use Explode the Code. Outside of these two, we mostly just read. We practice writing by writing to family & friends.

We used Blue & Red, too. Those are easy, and I found them nearly secular -- secular enough for me. The big shocker is getting to Yellow (gr. 3) and finding several weeks worth of lessons all completely devoted to scripture passages and bible stories. :scared: You'd have to rewrite all of that to get around it. No thanks. That turned me off completely to LLATL, which is too bad because BLue & Red were really nice.

But, we've moved on.... and are happier for it. :001_smile:

Things that have been good:

Oak Meadow

Growing with Grammar

SpellWell

ETC

. . . my son is using:

• Classical Writing Aesop (with samples I dug up to coordinate with his history/literature reading)
  • Galore Park English Prep Book 2 (skipping the writing, since we're doing CW). This covers grammar (which we review and put into use in the CW assignments), reading comprehension and some very basic literary stuff. In theory, it could cover spelling, too, but we're doing only a very half-hearted job with it.
  • Word Roots software for vocabularly

For handwriting, I'm just making him do some of his assignments in cursive. I have a free cursive font my husband downloaded for me a couple of years ago, and I type out his rough draft and print it in that. Then he copies it.

We're past phonics nowadays, but I used some plain vanilla, off-the-bookstore-shelf workbooks (FlashKids, McGraw Hill) along with Starfall (www.starfall.com) and the Nora Gaydos Now I'm Reading books.

We're Christian, but use a number of secular resources.

B is using the following, all of which are secular:

Growing with Grammar

Writing with Ease

Handwriting without Tears

I've ordered Calvert's spelling 4 CD for him, though he's a pretty good speller. It's mostly to make sure he's doing something for spelling. :)

Phonics -- we used Phonics Pathways

Spelling -- we used Sequential Spelling for awhile. My dd is not a natural speller at all, and had been very frustrated with spelling. She really liked this program. The problem is that it didn't seem to be "sticking", so we are trying Calvert's Spelling CD now. Too soon to review it, though.

Handwriting -- Handwriting Without Tears. Great program.

Grammar -- KISS Grammar, which is completely free online. The website is a bit confusing at first, but this is a great program, so I think it's worth the little bit of hassle in getting started. Once you get going, it's really easy to implement. We also started Latin this year, so she's getting grammar through that.

Writing -- we haven't done any formal writing program yet, just narration. But I'm leaning towards trying Writing Tales when we do.

We are Jewish, but use many secular materials to get away from the Christianity of many curriculums. DS is 8.

Phonics: I started reading board books and simple picture books to DS when he was 2 weeks old(yes single-mom and only child), BOB Books, Phonics Pathways, Explode The Code workbooks from A, B, & C primers through the 1 - 8 books, now using the Beyond the Code 1 - 4 books. He is reading on 8th grade level currently.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears from Pre-K to now using Cursive Handwriting, but he basically taught himself cursive from the cursive sticker after he had done about ten letters in the workbook. We are also planning to use the HWT book on Hebrew Script to improve his script writing, he can do block print just fine.

Spelling: We have done Spelling Workout just fine from book A. He is currently in book D and almost done. I have told him he can skip the writing portion at the end of each lesson, as it could take all afternoon to write three sentences. Now, after reading Writing With Ease beginning chapters I understand why.

Grammar: Tried FLL 1/2 and couldn't take the repetition. I still use it occasionally for poetry and picture narration, but we switched to Growing With Grammar 1/2 and he loved it! It is a workbook style, short lessons, and totally secular, but kind. GWG has complete programs until 6th grade at this time; I think they are planning to go to 8th grade.

Composition: I have fudged on this topic due to my own writing fears. I have many Writing Strands books and have read most. Used WS to get DS comfortable with words and playing with them. Tried to do Level 2 last year when I was in nursing school, and I fell down on the job. I have Classical Writing's Aesop Core, Workbook A, Instructor's Guide A, Homer Core, and am very interested in them as they have a plan to keep publishing books through 12th grade. As far as secularism is concerned, Aesop A is secular until the last 3 lessons which are Jewish(although they call them Old Testament stories); my problem with Aesop is in the B book where the last 3 lessons are based on New Testament stories. It makes me wonder what the models are in the Homer and more advanced books. I don't know if I can find appropriate substitute models that teach the lessons in writing intended, that are not Christian, on my own. I don't want to keep inventing the wheel every year for every subject. Now, I have the Writing With Ease book, and the Level 1 Workbook, and am inclined to print the copywork pages in the HWT cursive font in Word that I have from Educational Fontware, and just do it at twice the pace since he is 8 years old, do Level 1 and Level 2, and pray that the Level 3 Workbook will be out by August and do Level 3 and Level 4 during 4th grade. The Level 1 Workbook does have Lesson 27 that is based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, but that seems very workable. I am wondering when Writing With Skill will be out for 5th through 8th grades? I am hoping to fit in CW's Poetry for Beginners in 5th and 6th grades. I think my plan will be a combo of primarily SWB's programs and CW's. These writing decisions are the hardest for me.

Also, forgot to say DS loves to write stories about monsters on other planets - nursed him to sleep to Star Trek theme songs! They must have stuck!:D

Edited by Chocolate Lover

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears

Phonics: Explode the Code, Bob Books, other readers, a UK phonics programme called Superphonics

Copywork: Hannah's Aesop copywork on Lulu

Spelling: Lists pulled off the internet - many public schools publish them

General programmes: Junior English from Galore Park (aged 7-10), So You Really Want to Learn English, also Galore Park (age 10 - 13).

Best wishes

Laura

We are Christian, but use the following secular LA curricula because they are so good:

HWOT

ETC

FLL

WWE

That leaves spelling - I'm using SWR with my oldest, but I also have Spelling Plus (and the Dictation Resource book that goes with it) which I think I would use if he were a natural speller. I like SWR, but have a hard time recommending it because it is harder to use. (I guess I have a love-hate relationship with it).

Good luck!

-- Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts Program

I had never heard of this program before I read your post last night. I've been browsing their website, and I'm very impressed with the philosophy behind it. It's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I first started pursuing Classical homeschooling. But if I am understanding how it works (and I did download and read the PDF curriculum guide), all the books, both student's and TMs, that I would have to buy for 3rd grade would cost about $245. :eek: Whether or not it's worth it (and I don't doubt that it is) I simply can't afford it. Did you buy the entire program, or just some components of it? We have a grammar program that we're happy with -- but would I really need to buy his grammar book if I were going to use the rest of the program?

Also, just curious if you have Classics in the Classroom and if you find it to be helpful. I could probably afford that. :D

I had never heard of this program before I read your post last night. I've been browsing their website, and I'm very impressed with the philosophy behind it. It's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I first started pursuing Classical homeschooling. But if I am understanding how it works (and I did download and read the PDF curriculum guide), all the books, both student's and TMs, that I would have to buy for 3rd grade would cost about $245.
While it's still not cheap, you need only purchase the TM's for the elementary series (I don't know about the middle school series, but there's a Yahoo! MCT group called MCTLA where you'd be able to get more information). Even with the practice books, you can purchase them TM and write out the sentence to be analyzed yourself. Also, if you're studying Latin, there's no need to use the very first vocabulary book, Building Language.

would I really need to buy his grammar book if I were going to use the rest of the program?
No. The vocabulary and poetics books are standalone. Short sections of the writing early writing books might seem a little strange, but for the most part, these could also be standalone.

Also, just curious if you have Classics in the Classroom and if you find it to be helpful. I could probably afford that. :D
It's a slim volume, and I was terribly disappointed the first time I read it. Since then, I've read it about a dozen times and have come to greatly appreciate MCT's words of wisdom. Here's something from another post of mine:

I can't compare the two, but I've read the MCT about a dozen times. My favourite section gets its title from a quote by a professor from his college days: "Any book worth its salt will provide you with the terms for its own interpretation!"

[Authors] do not write [books] hoping to be STUDIED. They write their books in rich, resonant, self-interpreting language, and this language is to be folded back on the book. With care. Each book is designed to open itself. [Followed by examples.]

What is gained by asking if Holden Caulfield is a
protagonist
? I do think that such terms should be part of what students learn, but we need not deceive ourselves that such helpful concepts are the path to enlightenment. That path is left by the author within the book, and if we do not make ourselves transparent and take the author's path, then it is pointless to look for external assistance in understanding the book.

My oldest is only 6, so we're not doing formal literature study. But I do use some of his techniques when she initiates discussion about something we're reading.

While it's still not cheap, you need only purchase the TM's for the elementary series (I don't know about the middle school series, but there's a Yahoo! MCT group called MCTLA where you'd be able to get more information). Even with the practice books, you can purchase them TM and write out the sentence to be analyzed yourself. Also, if you're studying Latin, there's no need to use the very first vocabulary book, Building Language.

Moira, are you saying one could purchase the TM alone and not buy the student book?

Sorry if I'm dense on this, I had a strange nights sleep and not enough coffee (yet).

These materials interest me :001_smile:

Bill

Moira, are you saying one could purchase the TM alone and not buy the student book?
Correct, though I can only vouch for the elementary series.

Zaner-Bloser handwriting

Wordsmith Apprentice

Wordly Wise

I do our own spelling as needed, and we do our own journal writing and book reports. Wordsmith Apprentice has a tiny bit of non-secular stuff, and I'm not sure how helpful it is yet, but my dc enjoy it. They do not enjoy Wordly Wise, and Writing Strands was torturous. We also cover some grammar through Lively Latin.

~Growing with Grammar - daily

~Spelling Workout - daily (I use the Spelling Wisdom copywork/dictation for cursive copywork on Fridays after SWO test just so he doesn't forget how to write in cursive)

~Writing Strands 3 and up - 2x/week

~Journal Writing using Dayle's (in Guatemala) journal prompt links - 3x/week

~Inside Stories (formerly Novel Ideas) by Prufrock Press for literature

study or sometimes just read and discuss with no guide.

~Poetry workbook from Teach-Mart (between literature studies)

~Read & Understand from Evan-Moor (between literature studies)

hth,

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW