Menu

Being in the bathroom by yourself

school17777

• 3 weeks later...

That’s obnoxious of him to come into the bathroom without knocking and getting your permission first.  The fact that he picks locks and breaks into the bathroom when you asked him not to tells me he has abusive tendencies.  Frankly, I would  get a locksmith to put a lock on the door that is break-in proof and use it.  Full stop.

Edited by Reefgazer

Our bathroom has the toilet in it's own little room so that's not as annoying but just once I would love to have a full shower/get dressed/dry hair without being bothered. I can't lock the door because we have french doors. Who ever thought that was a good idea?

1 minute ago, ashfern said:

Our bathroom has the toilet in it's own little room so that's not as annoying but just once I would love to have a full shower/get dressed/dry hair without being bothered. I can't lock the door because we have french doors. Who ever thought that was a good idea?

They do make locks for french doors. Or, you can get your point across with a hair scrunchy or bungee cord. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ashfern said:

Still not a good idea.  If you were to list one room that people most want complete privacy, I'd say it was the bathroom.  I am assuming that the doors have big glass areas.  

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

Still not a good idea.  If you were to list one room that people most want complete privacy, I'd say it was the bathroom.  I am assuming that the doors have big glass areas.  

Thankfully this house has solid doors. Our old house did indeed have glass french doors into the bathroom. Very annoying when one is trying to sleep & the bathroom light was turned on. 

On 7/13/2018 at 7:01 AM, school17777 said:

There is a lock on the door, but he will just unlock it.  Even figured out how to unlock the door at the beach the other day. 

He knows I can’t stand him him in the bathroom when I’m using it, but he doesn’t care/respect that.  He acts like it’s the first time hearing that it every time and he thinks I’m being ridiculous not wanting my husband in the bathroom when I’m using it.

does he get "off" on being in there with you?   if you stood there staring at him with a camera when he was doing his business - would he object?  maybe get the message to STAY OUT when it's your turn?   does he think you're having fun in there and he's getting left out?

does he realize his behavior isn't juvenile - it's babyish.  baby must have mommy at all times and only gets a moments peace when she goes to the bathroom.

eta: that he will unlock the door to be in there with you makes me think this is not about privacy in the bathroom, but his control, or perhaps something else.  this is a big flag to me.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ashfern said:

someone with an open floor plan master - bath with NO doors. . . . .  (I had a friend whose master was like that.   and my brother just bought an older house like that.)

On 7/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Catwoman said:

I have been thinking about this. If calm discussion, heated discussion, and even a locked door doesn’t work, maybe it’s time for a different approach.

You know how they say that if you want to keep the cat off the kitchen counter, give him a spritz or water from a water gun every time you catch him up there?  Well... how about every time the OP’s husband walks in on her while she’s on the toilet, she blasts him with a Super Soaker?

I’m only half kidding about this. Maybe less than half kidding. 

Okay, I’m totally not kidding. 

Whether she warns him about it in advance or not is up to her. ?

if he wants to act like an animal that doesn't want to control itself - he has no cause to complain about being treated like an animal that can't control itself.

(says kristen, who is trying to teach puppy he can't jump up on the coffee table - now that he's big enough.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

I saw this thread had been bumped back up to the top and I was hoping the OP had posted an update.

DH was just asking me about this thread.  When I said OP hadn't been back he said it was the ultimate troll job.

13 minutes ago, Katy said:

DH was just asking me about this thread.  When I said OP hadn't been back he said it was the ultimate troll job.

Hmm. I thought she was a long-time poster. But given the subject matter and our responses (justifiable concern IMHO) she may not want to respond at this time.

• Like 2

OK, I read this whole thread a little while ago, and I didn't post because I didn't want to do a pile on, but I can't shake the feeling that I should say something about this.  Which is:  IT SOUNDS THREATENING.

I mean, there you are, at your most vulnerable, having very clearly set a boundary which is being lied about, obviously uncomfortable, and there is this absolute insistence, beyond the point of rudeness all the way to aggressive behavior (because picking a lock is definitely aggressive!)--what is that except threatening/intimidating?  This isn't just kinky or weird or rude.  It's just about an attack.  Thiiis close. 

And that is entirely unacceptable.

PS  I only know one couple who agreed on the 'in the bathroom while on the toilet' thing, and I still think it's weird.  So...

• Like 2

Long time poster. Not a troll!! And I simply hoped that she would be comfortable participating regularly on the forums, after this thread. She has every right to let it die (or hope it will)! 

We all have a lot of assumptions, opinions, and advice. But we don't really know what's going on in her home, or how serious this is (or isn't), or anything. And I hope we get to keep our forum friend. I don't regret anything that any of us said, but you know what, we said it. Ball's in her court and we aren't owed a thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Hmm. I thought she was a long-time poster. But given the subject matter and our responses (justifiable concern IMHO) she may not want to respond at this time.

she is.  just not prolific - but at 2300+ posts - not a troll.

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

She is not a troll. She is a lovely, real human being whom I have met in person. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

Long time poster. Not a troll!! And I simply hoped that she would be comfortable participating regularly on the forums, after this thread. She has every right to let it die (or hope it will)! 

We all have a lot of assumptions, opinions, and advice. But we don't really know what's going on in her home, or how serious this is (or isn't), or anything. And I hope we get to keep our forum friend. I don't regret anything that any of us said, but you know what, we said it. Ball's in her court and we aren't owed a thing.

I agree, Tibbie. I was surprised to see that the thread had been bumped after more than 2 weeks of inactivity, so I was hoping the OP had returned to post a happy update that everything had worked out. 

I don't think anyone believes that we are entitled to an update, but I’m sure many of us have clicked on this thread today hoping to read some good news.

• Like 2