Menu

Who knew so many people want a build a bear?

lynn

47 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Dd was at Woodfield Mall today and the line was crazy. She felt so bad for one little girl- her family drove 2 hours to get to the mall for her birthday surprise and they were turned away. They didn’t know about the promo. 

That's so sad!  I have fond memories of our special birthday trips to babw.

I'm surprised they (babw) didn't expect chaos and handle it differently.  

• Like 3

When I saw the story on the news, all I could wonder was what kind of idiot at BABW thought this promotion was a good idea? Seriously, they were going to practically give away toys to everyone who walked into the store on one specific day... and they didn’t expect crowds of people to show up? How could they possibly have thought for even a minute that they would be able to accommodate that kind of demand? 

I feel so sorry for all of the little kids who were so excited about getting a bear today. It’s not like they are dollar store toys, so many parents wouldn’t normally be able to afford to buy them for their kids, and especially not for all of their kids on one day. 

I hope BABW finds a way to make this up to the people who planned on getting bears today. As it appears right now, they really made a mess of things!

• Like 5

When I first heard about it I didn't realize it was a one day thing.  Obviously that was going to be insane.   Would have made more sense to have people register for a coupon or something they could use anytime.  They could have drastically increased their marketing contact list that way too.

ETA:  I heard people turned away and anyone with an account are getting a $15.00 voucher.

• Like 1

We braved it. Thought it would be a three hour wait, ended up being exactly 8 hours. My girls wanted to keep going so we stayed. If it were up to me we would have been out of there but I told them at the beginning we would stay as long as they wanted to. At least they are thrilled with their new toys. 

• Like 6

I avoid promotions like this because I am highly averse to line standing.  I don’t mind waiting as a general rule but waiting for a prolonged period with my children in a large crowd of people is my idea of hell on earth.  It doesn’t make a bit of sense to me to wait in line for hours for something I could buy by working a fraction of that time, should I choose to spend the money on whatever it is they are selling.  

• Like 4

My dil was at the mall at opening with my two grand-daughters in tow.  The line was already 6 hours long.  They didn't wait.  Thankfully the girls are too young to realize what was going on.  Dil said that there were a lot of sad, tired kids at the mall.  She said at our local mall they were handing out $2 coupons to those turned away from the line.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

The basic bears are maybe $15-25 (branded characters are more) but the clothes and other accessories are what jack up the cost.

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

It would cover the most basic bear, without any accessories.  

I feel like a $15 voucher is a pretty great deal really - the bears weren't going to be free regardless. That being said, no way I'd ever wait in line for hours for any deal, but certainly not for a cheap bear. That's absurd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I feel like a $15 voucher is a pretty great deal really - the bears weren't going to be free regardless. That being said, no way I'd ever wait in line for any deal, but certainly not for a cheap bear. That's absurd. 

We have several small BAB gift cards floating around so the $15 voucher that was emailed will actually allow my son to go in and build quite the bear.  When it is not crowded.  When my family's neurodiverse brains could deal with it.  

Like the meme floating around said:  I would pay my weight to not have to stand in line all day at the mall. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

My poor children haven’t even heard of build a bear. They barely even register American Girl Dolls as something they need to have. They think My Life dolls are the same thing. 

Thier mother won’t even brave Cow Appreciation day. These kiddos never had a chance.

You are my hero. My kids don't even know about American Girl dolls much less bears or anything else like that. And no way will I brave Cow Appreciation Day (or anything else having to do w/crowds of people all waiting to get something).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

How far would a $15 voucher go? 

My kids bought their bears as birthday presents many years ago for $10 and $20. DS12 choose a traditional light brown bear which was $10 while DS13 choose a snowflake special edition bear which was $20.  They didn’t want to buy accessories so that’s what we spent. My kids bought the small sized ones for $5 each a year later. Their bears share their bed. DS12’s bed also has the IKEA shark, a penguin, three cows and a chicken, plenty of soft toys on his bed. 

DS13 was asking for a rainbow bear and there is two rainbow designs bear going for $10.

https://www.buildabear.com/stuffed-animals/shop-by-category/teddy-bears?srule=price-lo-hi&sz=18&start=0