Menu

May I just vent for a minute?????

8filltheheart

Our Aspie is crippled by his anxiety. He is 26 and finally reached the conclusion that he needs to go back to school. We have submitted his complete application and are waiting to understand how his FA will work.

He has already been wavering bc it is change. He has made several comments about thinking he should just stay at Goodwill. 

Well, I could just scream. They know he is considering going back to school. He just called me and told me that they offered him a promotion and a $2/hr raise.  So, of course, he is now thinking he should not just go back to school and just stay there. 

Ugh!! I am so upset. He was going to learn a trade and he really could turn it into a career. This could just be his excuse to stall.

He is on our insurance for 2 more yrs bc dh's company is awesome. But, after that it is a big ???? This is really the best opportunity to go back to school he is ever going to have. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Oh, 8! I'm so sorry. Having a spectrum ds myself, I totally get how little excuse they need to stall and avoid change. I know your guy is super smart and I hope he is able to look past this offer and consider the long term benefits of the trade he is considering pursuing. 

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me vent. Ds accepted the job this morning. He has promised to still go to school in the fall. We looked and he can take all night classes. If it becomes too much, he says he will quit the Goodwill position.  Only time will tell. It is next to impossible to predict how he will react to any given situation.  I am concerned he will shut down from too many changes at one time. It sounds way too overwhelming for his normal coping level.  

But, for his self-esteem, the promotion has definitely boosted his self-confidence.  He hasn't talked about his future like he did last night in a very long time. So, I am going to count the blessing hidden in there. He has really struggled with his younger siblings growing up and moving on. 

• Like 27