Menu

Poll time! Just for fun -- clear up an argument for me

rose

If a tea towel falls on your kitchen floor approximately how long will it stay there?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. If a tea towel falls on your kitchen floor approximately how long will it stay there?

• Whoever walks past it first will pick it up.
    • Which ever adult walks by it first will pick it up.
    • It will be picked up next time the kitchen is cleaned up.
    • On laundry day.
    • When I need the tea towel to dry something.
    • Other - if you must.
    • Exactly one person will pick it up. Me.

So, while the forums were down dh and I had a bit of a friendly argument. I've been chomping at the bit to run this by you all. Dh claims that it's not normal for people to have a tea towel lying on their kitchen floor. I argue that I can't possible notice every tea towel in my path and that surely other people are like this as well. This is really just about tea towels though. If I tried to notice everything out of place I would never get any school work done, ever. So, give me the honest truth. Do tea towel grace your kitchen floor? If so, for how long.

well, we don't have tea towels. We have bar towels. And if one is on the floor, I assume it was there to catch a drip. It may get grabbed with a toe to clean up another drip in another spot, but tends to remain until someone tosses it in the laundry, which is usually on whatever day I run a load of towels. I'll sweep through the common areas of the house and pick up towels, hankies, etc. 

I answered only me - but tbh, *sometimes* dh will pick it up because it's on the floor, and sometimes he'll pick it up becasue he wants to wipe up a spill.

Usually, If I'm picking it up off the floor, I'll throw it in my towel laundry pile and get a new one.

If it is on the floor, then it goes to the laundry.  Everyone except dd11 will pick it up and toss it under the sink when they notice it.

I often toss towels on the ground if I am making a big dinner to wipe up drips. It is always the dirtiest towel that gets surrendered to the floor, so no one would put it back into use if they found it down there after a meal, but they would toss it under the sink in the dirty bucket not put it on the counter.

I am fussy about clean towels in the kitchen and start every day with clean towels and rag. I also put  out a fresh towel and rag in  the kitchen during the day as well, if at any point I completely clean the kitchen (usually after a big meal).  We can go through 5+ hand towels in the kitchen a day if I am cooking. We don't really use paper towels in the kitchen, so that partially explains the number. 

• Like 2

I am a compulsive picker upper.  I have to fight the urge or I would do nothing else all day.

Nobody else in this house suffers from this problem.  :P

Everyone of course has an excuse.  Can't bend, too busy, didn't see it, thought someone intended for it to be there, I am not your slave, ....

• Like 2

I'If a tea towel, or anything else, dropped on the floor I would pick it up the moment I saw it and I see pretty much everything (but I'm a bit of an oddity I think?).  DH might but only if he noticed it and the kids "might" but only if they dropped it.... maybe.

If you're asking where it goes AFTER it is dropped...

DH and kids would likely put it back on conter.  I would also IF I had recently cleaned the floor or it was a dry tea towel not expected to be used for dishes.  Otherwise (dirty floor, it's wet etc.... ) I probably grumble and put it in the dirty bin.

We have lots of what you are calling tea towels but we call dish towels.   There are two main reasons they get on the floor- they fall down or the cook throws them down because they are dirty and need washing.  As to who picks them up- either me or my dh usually since we are the only people who live here all the time- but they always go to the wash pile by the stairs where we put dish towels, hand towel from the kitchen, and tablecloths/cloth napkins we may have used.