Menu

Tax return rejected *update in post 20

maize

ugh

Just e-filed my return and got the following email back:

2017 Federal Tax Return Rejected To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.

Incorrect Social Security Number for Dependent
The IRS is rejecting your tax return because the Social Security number and/or a last name you entered for at least one of your dependents doesn't match the IRS records. Please make sure you entered each dependent's last name and Social Security number correctly. 

Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I don't have everyone's SS cards in front of me, but I did check them against last year's return and they all match. 

Except of course for the baby and I checked his against his card.

Several Times.

And the last names are all identical. And all the same as last year. And the year before. And...

Edited by maize

We've never had that happen. 

I was actually really worried ours would be rejected this year because it's the first year I'm filing that ds' name and gender are different than the past 17 years. It's all been legally changed and done but I still expected it to get flagged or something. When I checked today, it was accepted and said we would have our refund in the next few days. 

I'm really surprised and wonder what it is they do that flags anyone. Hope you get it figured out soon. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

Oh, that's disappointing. Yes, a few years ago we got the same message. After calling the tax office, we discovered that someone else had used one of our childrens' SSN when filing their taxes. It may have been a mistake (a digit off or something), but I never found that part out. I'm sorry byecause I can't remember if that delayed our taxes getting filed or not or if they fixed it right then. :/

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 2

Oh, that's disappointing. Yes, a few years ago we got the same message. After calling the tax office, we discovered that someone else had used one of our childrens' SSN to when filing their taxes. It may have been a mistake, but I never found that part out. I'm sorry because I can't remember if that delayed our taxes getting filed or not or if they fixed it right then. :/

Ugh this is what I am afraid of.

I wanted to file the first weekend filing was available but Taxact said one form wasn't ready yet. Though I think now that was a glitch.

Sigh.

I want my refund.

And I don't want to spend more time and energy on taxes.

• Like 2

Ugh this is what I am afraid of.

I wanted to file the first weekend filing was available but Taxact said one form wasn't ready yet. Though I think now that was a glitch.

Sigh.

I want my refund.

And I don't want to spend more time and energy on taxes.

:grouphug:  

I would check against the kids original cards. Personally I would reenter all the ssn digits just to avoid not being able to see my own mistake.  Also check names for spaces and capitalization to all be identical to the original cards.  For instance if the persons name says " Ann Marie E. Smith" make sure there is a space between Ann  Marie and that if there is a place for an initial, make sure to use it. 

I bill insurance for a living and it is hard to see your own mistakes sometimes.  And the gvmt is getting more fussy about making sure every detail matches the SS card when billing Medicare.  I can imagine that this could be true for taxes now too. 

• Like 1

ugh

Just e-filed my return and got the following email back:

2017 Federal Tax Return Rejected To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.

Incorrect Social Security Number for Dependent

The IRS is rejecting your tax return because the Social Security number and/or a last name you entered for at least one of your dependents doesn't match the IRS records. Please make sure you entered each dependent's last name and Social Security number correctly.

Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I don't have everyone's SS cards in front of me, but I did check them against last year's return and they all match.

Except of course for the baby and I checked his against his card.

Several Times.

And the last names are all identical. And all the same as last year. And the year before. And...

This has happened to us at least twice with regards to Dss' SS number. We had to paper file it via mail and it went through no problem. I did get a letter in December of 2017 after that issue early 2017....and it said basically please be sure you can file this person on your taxes.

I think criminals are stealing SS numbers and filing before we do.....

• Like 1

This has happened to us at least twice with regards to Dss' SS number. We had to paper file it via mail and it went through no problem. I did get a letter in December of 2017 after that issue early 2017....and it said basically please be sure you can file this person on your taxes.

I think criminals are stealing SS numbers and filing before we do.....

After reading your post, I'm remembering that we had to file through the mail too. 

• Like 1

We had this happen a number of years back. Someone had been using our sons ssn. I was furious because it not only drug out our tax return for ages that year, we found out said person had used it in California to get phone service and for other reasons that he then never bothered to pay his bills. I had to go through a whole process to prove that this was my son's ssn.

maize I have not personally had a return rejected by the I.R.S. system, but you can be absolutely positive there is a glitch in the information they are receiving from you.  As others pointed out, there is a possibility someone has already used (by mistake or for criminal purposes) the SSN of one of your Dependents. However, it is also possible that there is a glitch in the information they received from you. It could be a "Hidden character" that you cannot see, but that is embedded within one of the SSN numbers.

My suggestion is that you (or someone   else) erase and then enter the SSN numbers of your Dependents again and that you then resubmit your return to the I.R.S. system.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is something simple like that and that it will be accepted by the I.R.S. system.

If not, I would call the I.R.S. Monday morning, because it could also be that someone else has used that SSN number.

Also, you might contact TaxAct Support. 

You should have the Social Security cards in front of you when you do that...

I figured it out!

I first tried re-entering all information, verified against SS cards. No dice.

Then I was poking around and found this tidbit on the taxslayer website:

"The e-file database is normally looking to match the first four letters of the third name listed on the social security card, and in the case of hyphenated and/or multiple names at times this can result in a mismatch. This reject can occur even when the name has matched when electronic filing a previous tax return and nothing has changed in the name presentation from the previously filed return."

Ah-ha! I have a couple of kids with double middle names. I went through and deleted all middle names and re-submitted. Bingo! the return was accepted.

Hoping the state return goes through as well now.

I had the double middle names in last year and it didn't give me any issue, but at least now I know it is better to leave them off.

• Like 16

Those double middle names, double last names, hyphen or no hyphen can cause lots if headaches when preparing taxes. Last year I had a foster with 2 middles names and 2 last names. Some of his papers listed with,some one, some the other,still others with a hyphen. It took us a lot of tries and paper filing to get it to go through.

Glad you figured it out.

• Like 1

I figured it out!

I first tried re-entering all information, verified against SS cards. No dice.

Then I was poking around and found this tidbit on the taxslayer website:

"The e-file database is normally looking to match the first four letters of the third name listed on the social security card, and in the case of hyphenated and/or multiple names at times this can result in a mismatch. This reject can occur even when the name has matched when electronic filing a previous tax return and nothing has changed in the name presentation from the previously filed return."

Ah-ha! I have a couple of kids with double middle names. I went through and deleted all middle names and re-submitted. Bingo! the return was accepted.

Hoping the state return goes through as well now.

I had the double middle names in last year and it didn't give me any issue, but at least now I know it is better to leave them off.

Thanks for posting about this! I have one child with two middle names. I’ve never had trouble e-filing with all of his names included, but now I know what to watch for.

• Like 2