Menu

Prescription goggles for swimming - experiences?

Raifta

DD has been asking for some for a while now.  I get it.  I can't see either without my glasses and it sucks not knowing when you are getting to the end of the pool, if there are swimmers around you, if your friends are throwing you the beach ball.

So I've been thinking of getting her some but I'm wondering if anyone has real life experience with them and has any wisdom to share - things to look for, things to avoid, should we just get the not too expensive off the shelf ones (she's nearsighted and it's already pretty bad but likely to get worse)?

Anything helps!  I have no experience with this and know no one IRL who has them.

• Like 1

My son had poor vision. They are around -6.5 or so.

Years ago I ordered goggles from Amazon in his prescription. Several years ago, they cost around $15. He thought the goggles were amazing. I’m sure they weren’t the best quality, but when you go from practically blind to pretty good vision, it is great.

Since he was younger, I wasn’t going to invest in a doctor’s prescription goggles. Sure enough, they were eventually lost.

• Like 2

I think we used swimoutlet.com also. All of my dc use prescription goggles and have had the same pairs for years. They don't need to change with every prescription change, so the cost is not too high. They also don't need to be able to do close work in them, so for my bifocal kids I could get the background (?) prescription, they didn't need bifocals (they probably don't even make those.)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, corrective goggles are the best. They make swimming so much more enjoyable (and I love swimming). Mine are -7.5. It doesn't give me perfect vision but good enough that I can walk out to the pool without tripping on things.

No need to spend more than $10 a pair. Goggles wear out (and get lost) so it's not just a one-time investment. I buy 2-3 at a time.

• Like 1

Well it sounds like that is an idea I need to get right on (swimming starts tomorrow).  Hoping I can find something local but if not, I know where to check!  Thanks Hive.

I also got them from swim outlet for dd. Go slightly less if they don't have the exact correction you need. My dd's eyes were the same, but if not, order two pairs, one for each number and then just switch out the sides and you'll have two pairs with the right correction.

And that is genius.  Especially for me, as I think my eyes are considerably different compared to DD.

DD has been asking for some for a while now.  I get it.  I can't see either without my glasses and it sucks not knowing when you are getting to the end of the pool, if there are swimmers around you, if your friends are throwing you the beach ball.

So I've been thinking of getting her some but I'm wondering if anyone has real life experience with them and has any wisdom to share - things to look for, things to avoid, should we just get the not too expensive off the shelf ones (she's nearsighted and it's already pretty bad but likely to get worse)?

Anything helps!  I have no experience with this and know no one IRL who has them.

I got some about two years ago -- and they are SO useful when I thought I'd left them behind at the in-laws house and they could not find them, I went out and bought a SECOND pair!  I bought off the shelf prescription goggles from Amazon. (These most recently: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JBJDY2C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It is not an EXACT prescription -- but in the water that does not matter. "Close enough" is good enough.  I got the ones that are -9 in both eyes (Restricts what is available commercially to be SO near sighted).  But it makes it so I can see what time it is and see my kids in the water as something other than a colorful blur of color.  It's made swimming while in charge of others much more enjoyable.

I can't wait to take them to the beach with me. I can only imagine how much more fun it will be to be at the beach when I can see what is going on around me -- even if a little blurry still. -- But still able to go under the water and not worry about losing glasses.

Edited by vonfirmath

Another vote for swimoutlet.com and relatively-cheap Rx goggles.  Speedo brand runs ~$16-18. 

If feasible, get her 2 pair: one clear for evening/early-morning/night swimming and one "smoke" (tinted) pair for swimming in sun.  Plus, when one pair starts to disintegrate from chlorine, she'll have a back-up pair until you can replace them, even if tinted or clear.

If you swim in any kind of sport, you need to be able to see the clocks!  

Plus, it can be disorienting when you get out and can't see anyone/anything on the deck.  When swimming at larger pools without lanes or at waterparks, I don't like feeling like I can't see if someone's jumping in over my head. Rx goggles help with all of that.  I actually think they make swimming safer because I can actually see where other people are, LOL.  

BTW, in regards to losing goggles, DC and I have an agreement: I buy the first, good pair of goggles for the season.  If lost, they will replace them with their own $.  My kids are young, but I don't think they're too young to learn to take care of their stuff in locker rooms, etc.  It's strict, but my hope is that it will build some regard for what gear costs and how to take care of their own things.  

For reference, my Rx is around -6.0 and the Speedo Vanquisher goggles are perfect.  For some of you mentioning getting goggles from an eye doctor: if your Rx is around mine or lighter, I wouldn't waste the time or $--not necessary!  Goggles do wear out over time, so they're something you have to eventually replace.  

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-vanquisher-optical-goggle-7789/?color=208

10% off first order and they're running around $17 +shipping.  I usually buy a few during their sales.  

(I'm not a rep for them or anything, LOL.  Just really pleased.)

Yeah, I went the Amazon route too.  I love them.  Sometimes we'll buy ourselves something on the expensive around our birthdays and that will be out birthday present from the other person.   We discuss this ahead of time.  Last birthday, I didn't really need anything, so I didn't get anything like that.  A few weeks after my birthday, I bought the Amazon goggles.   When DH handled them to me he said, "Happy Birthday" in an upset tone.  It took me awhile, but I realized that he thought they were an expensive birthday present to myself that I hadn't discussed.  At that time, we weren't buying expensive stuff, but <$20 was fine.