Menu

Update on new vehicle.....Toyota Sienna awd or Honda Odyssey

Ottakee

It looks like Subarus are out just due to the number of passengers they seat. Mini van just makes the most sense for now for Grandma to drive/be transported in.

We are looking at 2014 or newer low mileage/possibly new Toyota Sienna AWD or FWD or the Honda Odyssey. Any pros or cons to either of these or does it come more down to price and availability?

I have a 2008 Honda and it is fine. I am not overly picky, just need safe and reliable. Grandma wants CD player, leather seats and heated seats.

Is the 8th seat in the Toyota easy to store? Install when needed? Which has better cargo area? Better gas mileage?

Anything else to consider? Feature you have and love or ones you wish you had?

Edited by Ottakee

I think they are very similar. I would go drive both. I think you might lean towards Toyota--but it's like the difference between a Canon and a Nikon camera. It really comes down to personal preference as they are slightly better in different ways.

The newer Odysseys have variable cycle engines. I have mixed feelings about how they drive.

• Like 1

I have grown up with Toyota's/  My parents got one in the 70's and had one my entire growing up years and then when I moved out they gave me the one I used in college. Toyota was all I ever knew.  When it came time for me to buy a vehicle for the first time, I expected Toyota would win.  However, after doing the driving and riding comparison, the Odyssey won because it was just a more comfortable ride.  Round two of buying a vehicle years later resulted in the same experience.  They are both very good vehicles but I just find the Odyssey to be much more comfortable to sit in (my kids all voted separately on are last purchase since they have to be comfortable too, every last one of them voted for the Odyssey too).

• Like 1

When we needed to get a wheelchair conversion van, I thought I would have to get a Sienna, not knowing an Odyssey conversion existed. We got a Sienna for a rental on vacation, and it just wasn't as nice inside as our old Odyssey. I was kind of depressed thinking I would have to step down to a Sienna. We were thrilled to find out we could get a conversion Odyssey (and we kept our old one, so we're a 2-Odyssey family). If we didn't need a conversion van, I would love it even more because the back middle set folds down to a little table I think with cupholders--they take this seat out to convert to a rear-entry wheelchair van. But I don't know if there is a difference between the two for towing or snow driving as those weren't needs for us.

Lots of things to consider. AWD would be very nice here in winter weather and snowy/icy roads but is it enough to maybe have a slightly less comfortable ride, etc. I do hate the Honda's low clearance but do love the comfort. Guess I need to go see them in person.

We love the AWD sienna, but I’ve never se had an odyssey since we need AWD.

You can’t convert an AWD sienna for handicap acces though if you need to consider that.

we wont need to convert the van. My mother though does have a Honda Odyssey van with wheelchair lift. She loves it.

Just keep in mind, when soliciting opinions, that Honda and Toyota redesign their vans every few years to match or outdo the other one. So you really need to look at exactly the year you are interested in.

One Sienna buying tip—when we were buying, the only option I cared about was leather. Leather usually only comes on the XLE, which also has tons of options I did not want to pay for. We looked at lightly-used Siennas with leather, but it ended up making the most sense to buy the mid-level version new and have the dealer add leather. We saved many thousands off of a slightly-used XLE.

I looked at an AWD Sienna today. 2014 with 29,000. It comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty which is a bonus. No time to test drive it as I had to travel 3 hours away with DD to get ready for surgery tomorrow.

Off to research the 2014 models....and compare the costs to newer ones.

I faced the exact same dilemma when we were van shopping.  I really wanted 8th seat option and leather.  At the time, you could get the Toyota with either the 8th seat OR the leather, but not both in the same vehicle (that may have changed by now -- you should check).  Both had heated front seats.  Only the Toyota had AWD available.  I opted for the Odyssey so that I could have my 8 leather seats.  I wish very much that I had put more importance on AWD.  My Honda is absolutely useless on snow/ice.  It just slides sideways toward the nearest ditch (we live in the mountains).  I really only needed the three middle seats for a short time, so that all three of my kids could be near me, not way in the back.  In hindsight, I could have just put ds in the very back sooner (which is where he wanted to be anyway), and I wouldn't have to let my car sit any time there is snow and ice on the ground.

That being said, I absolutely love my Odyssey.  It has been super reliable.  It is comfortable on long trips.  I love the leather seats, even though the kids aren't nearly as messy as they used to be.  I seldom need the 8th seat, but it comes in handy occasionally for carpool.  I just wish it had AWD.  

I have a 2016 Sienna (& still have the 1999 Sienna too - it's still ticking along).

I did not like the look of the Odyssey in that model cycle so I did not even go to drive it - I knew I wouldn't want it.

Mine came with heated fabric seats and it seats 8. We keep that 8th seat in all the time - it's handy for dumping stuff on, my big guys manspread all over that seat, and it keeps any cargo in the rear (including the dog crates) more securely in the back to have that seat there.  We at first thought we wouldn't like it (because our 99 just has the 2nd row captain's seats and we wanted the same) but I actually like that 8th seat now. I store dog gear in the little cubby the seat is supposed to fit into. 

We bought separate snow tires and install them in the fall. It handles just fine for the urban slushy icy snow driving we occasionally get here.  I honestly thought they were pretty much the same car so I'd just go for what you like the look of and can find at a good deal. 

Is the 8th seat in the Toyota easy to store? Install when needed? Which has better cargo area? Better gas mileage?

Anything else to consider? Feature you have and love or ones you wish you had?

Yes, the 8th seat is very easy to install and store. We love that about it. We also like the timing chain that should never need replacement.

The AWD Sienna does not have an 8th seat option but 7 should be adequate for our needs.

I get that Honda's are not so great on snow and ice. They are great for good roads and very comfortable. Thing is we live in West Michigan so AWD might tip the scale.

Our 8-passenger Sienna is old (2005), but I still love it. The Odyssey's 8th seat was a small one (like the Sienna's is now - it is like the engineers for one went to work for the other company  :cursing: ) and we needed all of the second row able to handle car seats. I don't know what we will do when we have to replace it.

Uggg. Now I see that the AWD Sienna has the run flat tires and they need to be replaced every 15-20,000 miles. That is a huge added expense to that model. You can put regular tires on but there is no spare then.

What do you mean that there is no spare if you use a different type of tire? What about when you change to winter tires? 

What do you mean that there is no spare if you use a different type of tire? What about when you change to winter tires?

The AWD Sienna does not come with a spare and there is no place to store a spare....unless you keep it in the cargo area which defeats the purpose of a mini van to haul stuff.

Lots of things to consider. AWD would be very nice here in winter weather and snowy/icy roads but is it enough to maybe have a slightly less comfortable ride, etc. I do hate the Honda's low clearance but do love the comfort. Guess I need to go see them in person.

We have the Toyota, and drive in a lot of snowy and icy conditions in north-east Ontario. We always put on winter tires, and this makes a huge difference. The clearance is good, but those plastic bumpers that are on both the Toyota and Honda vans are pretty easy to rip if you happen to drive over a hard snow bank. We managed to rip the lower bumper on both our Honda and Toyota vans.  :tongue_smilie:  Other than that, though, they are both great vehicles.

We have the Toyota, and drive in a lot of snowy and icy conditions in north-east Ontario. We always put on winter tires, and this makes a huge difference. The clearance is good, but those plastic bumpers that are on both the Toyota and Honda vans are pretty easy to rip if you happen to drive over a hard snow bank. We managed to rip the lower bumper on both our Honda and Toyota vans. :tongue_smilie: Other than that, though, they are both great vehicles.

Do you have the AWD? I am so torn as to what is best. I have a Honda Odyssey and it has been fine in our winter weather but I am a cautious driver and have been driving west Michigan winter roads my entire driving career....starting with a rear wheel drive car.

Do you have the AWD? I am so torn as to what is best. I have a Honda Odyssey and it has been fine in our winter weather but I am a cautious driver and have been driving west Michigan winter roads my entire driving career....starting with a rear wheel drive car.

No, I've never driven an AWD. I've been driving my entire life in either Canada or Norway, where there is a lot of snow and ice. In Norway they use studded tires, but AWD isn't common (suv's are not common, either). Norway has some of the worst winter driving conditions I've ever seen.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

For the run flat issue we use the run flats until they start to go (This is our second Sienna). Then we replace with all weather tires and for long trips out of town, dh puts a spare on the roof since I nixed the spare inside the van plan. We have a full size tire in an extra wheel as our spare. In town I just don’t worry about it, I’ve got AAA.

I do wish they’d find a spot for a spare on the AWD versions instead of run flats only.

But I still choose the AWD over the regular. I could always get up my steep dirt driveway when cars without AWD could never.

ETA- spare on roof plan does not work well with roof top cargo pod.

Edited by Hilltopmom

I love my Sienna.  This is my third.  I've had a 1999, 2006 and 2013.  I drove both until they had 200,000 miles on them.  Currently i have 118000 on van.  I think that they are roomier than the Honda van.  Especially the second and third rows.  

• Like 1

I love my Sienna.  This is my third.  I've had a 1999, 2006 and 2013.  I drove both until they had 200,000 miles on them.  Currently i have 118000 on van.  I think that they are roomier than the Honda van.  Especially the second and third rows.  

Ha!  And we thought just the opposite!  That's funny to hear. :)

We had 2 5 pt harness carseats, an infant carrier, and a booster seat.a preteen, and a teenage boy. LOL And lots of room for groceries AND a double stroller!

• Like 1

I love my Sienna. This is my third. I've had a 1999, 2006 and 2013. I drove both until they had 200,000 miles on them. Currently i have 118000 on van. I think that they are roomier than the Honda van. Especially the second and third rows.

So we have one vote for each for more space but spec online show measurements are almost exactly the same :-)

• Like 1

It might come down to how each drives for you. I felt like the Odyssey drove car-like and the Sienna truck-like, for the same year that we were looking at.

My engineering friend thinks the Sienna is safer because she thinks the Odyssey compromised on the frame in order to get higher mileage.

I love how opinions are divided :-)

Some reports have Honda safer than Toyota and others the reverse. Some say one rides better while someone else the other.

After driving home from my daughters surgery today on horrid roads.....35mph on one of the main expressways in the state, the AWD is looking appealing :-)