Menu

Grape tomatoes

Night Elf

I bought too many last night. We made quesadillas and guacamole and I thought I needed more than I did. So I now have 1.5 pints of grape tomatoes. What do I do with that many? I can make a green salad for tonight but that won't use up that many tomatoes! And we're not such big salad eaters that we want it every day until the tomatoes are gone.

I sauté in olive oil with garlic. Add balsamic at the end. Some add a bit of sugar as well as salt. Ina Garten has a recipe.

ETA

Reading Marcel's post below, I remembered original recipe calls for basil. I use fresh thyme instead, but dried herbs of either would be fine.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

I do as Allesandra and Heigh Ho.  Sometimes I make salsa if I have enough (and if I have the other things that go into salsa, which isn't an everyday occurrence).  

Expanding on Allesandra's post... stir in some pesto rather than balsamic, and serve with pasta.

You could make bruschetta.  Here is a recipe (link to Simply Recipes) that is easy with the type of tomato you have (no peeling).  In this recipe I would use granulated garlic rather than fresh, because my family doesn't like the taste of raw garlic.  At this time of year, I'd use dried basil unless I was feeling flush with $$$ and wanted to buy fresh.  :-)

Hm, I might add this to our Christmas Eve appetizer dinner!

• Like 2

Put them in an omelette or on a pizza.

Make a salad with the tomatoes and feta cheese and oil.

Put them in an attractive bowl on the table and ask your kids to eat them.

Add a handful to each person's plate for every meal.

Put small quantities in little baggies and hand them to family members as they leave the house.

• Like 1

I had a crazy amount of cherry tomatoes ripen all at once this summer and ended up putting them in quart size freezer bags and popping them in the freezer. I've been taking out a handful at a time (they don't stick together so it's super easy) and adding them at the last minute when I am sautéing veggies, or during the last few minutes of roasting veggies. They are awesome roasted or sautéed with garlic and olive oil- that's delicious on pasta. 

I'm guessing cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes are similar enough that you could freeze them and use them for cooking.  I'm sure you'd rather just use them all up right now but if you can't, freezing is better than them going bad and being tossed in the trash. 

• Like 1