Menu

Pants for skinny little boys

Elizabeth86

At this age elastic waists are your friend. Gap has some skinnies. My son was in95%ile for height, 20ths for weight which put him at 5th% for height/weight. He’s 22 now and ratios are the same.

It is hard to clothes-shop for this kid!!!!

Thanks. I didnt realize they sold slim sizes. I dont think they have them in toddler sizes. This is our first year of big kid clothes. I guess thats the difference. I just picked up a few pair at the goodwill the other day. I will look for slim from now on.

Depending on your local stores, slims can be hard to locate. When I had to buy husky sizes for my other child they were so much easier to find.

• Like 1

I've been buying children's place slims for several years now, online. They also have shorts in slim. In store, wrangler offers slim, which I have found at Walmart and target. I also bought cat and jack from target last year. My son is 10, I feel like I have to switch brands every year now, because one brand will be good one year, but too short the next year. His size 10 pants will def. be too short, but he can't wear a 12 even in slim with adjustable waists! I'll have to try several brands again, why can't they make boys size 9, 11, etc!!

• Like 1

Doesn't everyone have to sew a stitch in the back of their kids jeans?  For years my skinny mini's had to have me fold over the back of their pants, and sew a deep tuck to keep their pants up, even with the adjustable waistband.  

http://mesewcrazy.com/2015/03/how-to-take-in-a-jeans-waist.html

sort of like this only not nearly as nice - I tried to find a lazy sewing tutorial, but only found people doing a nice job....  I'd just fold over the pants, with the excess toward the inside of the pants, sew the deep  tuck right through the waistband, and leave the excess inside of the pants...  I would usually fold that to one side and add a couple of zigzags to hold that in place.  As long as the kids were under about 8 years old, they didn't care or really notice the tuck.  As they have gotten older, I have gotten better at matching seams and making things look nice...

Edited by wendy not in HI

We used the types of pants that had elastic and buttons in the side: where the elastic had a button hole about every inch all the way around.  They could be narrowed down to around the thickness of a typical litre bottle.  Levi's and LLBean both had this type in some styles.  Can't recall models for Levis but for LLBean it included their basic little boy and big boy jeans style.

Some items that we wanted for some reason and did not have this sort of waist had to have a piece of elastic of proper length put into the waist band.

Land's End Little Boy sizes start at size 4 and come in slim, regular, and husky. They have 2T-4T in their toddler sizes, but those do not come in slim and there is no 5T. They switch to the Little Boy sizes at that point.

I've found the size charts pretty spot on and their jeans come with both an adjustable waist and "iron knee" so they are a little more resistant to holes if the child spend all their time on the floor crawling around pushing trucks. My son could still get holes in the knee of the Land's End jeans, it just took a lot longer. They also have a lot of sales this time of year. If there isn't a coupon code/sale now for jeans then wait awhile, there will be one coming.

Doesn't everyone have to sew a stitch in the back of their kids jeans? For years my skinny mini's had to have me fold over the back of their pants, and sew a deep tuck to keep their pants up, even with the adjustable waistband.

http://mesewcrazy.com/2015/03/how-to-take-in-a-jeans-waist.html

sort of like this only not nearly as nice - I tried to find a lazy sewing tutorial, but only found people doing a nice job.... I'd just fold over the pants, with the excess toward the inside of the pants, sew the deep tuck right through the waistband, and leave the excess inside of the pants... I would usually fold that to one side and add a couple of zigzags to hold that in place. As long as the kids were under about 8 years old, they didn't care or really notice the tuck. As they have gotten older, I have gotten better at matching seams and making things look nice...

Just wait until they are in men's sizes and you are still altering the waist to fit. Even in brands that run small.

• Like 1

My skinny ds, at that age, hated jeans. He only wanted "comfy pants". So, he wore warm-up pants and sweats. We'd get them from Lands' End, Old Navy, Gymboree, Gap, Children's Place, Sears, and JC Penney.

Elastic waist with a drawstring usually did the trick.

I never thought I’d hate a safety feature as much as this but we had the hardest time finding pants with a functioning drawstring until ds was in a size 10. They were all the little fakey two little ties that didn’t actually tighten the pants.