Menu

Just for fun share your irrational fears.

Excelsior! Academy

Child abduction...I watch too much crime scene tv. I didn't like the look of our flooring installers so snuck by DD out of the house and took her to a friend's house where my girlie stayed until the flooring was done.

I can't sleep at night when DH is gone.

Armadillos....dead, alive,....I don't care. Apparently they carry a bacteria that causes leprosy...

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Butterflies and moths. (But not bees.) They don't bite, they don't sting, but they are unpredictable and get right in my personal space--I've even had one LAND ON ME and another one FLUTTER AROUND THREE INCHES AWAY trying to get its attention.

Also, sleeping on a boat. No idea why this would be a problem (Titanic?). My dad served aboard a submarine when I was a kid, so IDK.

I'm afraid of making phone calls and usually angry at receiving them. Ugh.

Snakes in a toilet.  I look and lift the lid every time just to be sure.

I have HAD it with these monkeyfighting snakes on this monday-to-friday toilet! (But at least if the lid is keeping the snakes in, you can't trip and drown.)

I'm scared that if I'm in a car driving down my block, the driver will run over my cat. If a friend drives me home or I take car service, I either get off at the corner or backseat drive the entire way. "This is ridiculous, of course I'm not going to hit your cat!" "Yeah, I believe you but... just... drive really slowly. No, slower."

And for those of us scared of quicksand, I present this article on the rise and fall of quicksand in the media.

• Like 2

Electricity. I am terrified of being electrocuted. Even changing lightbulbs and plugging things in freaks me out. (I think this is because of several very strong shocks I got as a kid.)

Fireworks, because of Follow My Leader.

I had to laugh about the quicksand being "everywhere" on TV in the '70s. The very first nightmare I had (that I remembered and told my mom about) was about quicksand. I think I was 3 or 4. I'm wondering how I even knew about it -- must have been a big ubiquitous thing back then! I'm wondering if my elementary kids have even heard of it...

• Like 1

Someone hiding under my vehicle and slashing my achilles tendon.  Sorry, kinda gross, and I know it has happened for real, which is why I'm terrified.  However,. sometimes I'll worry about it during other situations where it is HIGHLY improbable, like my feet/legs hanging out over the side of my own bed (um, my mattresses are on the FLOOR, lol) or sitting on a dock at the lake with my legs dangling into the water.  Not afraid a fish will nibble me, no, I'm afraid that someone will slash my achilles from under the dock or in the water.   :huh:

For those afraid of things under the bed, be like me...We only have one bed, the guest bed that is not a mattress on the floor.

When I was young, perhaps nine or ten I came up with a password. That way if I ever developed Alzheimer's or had an experience with time travel I would also have a password that my younger (well at least ten year old) would know. so I'm less worried about how I would, or my younger self would deal with those situations.

It's good to be prepared for anything. :p

• Like 1

Choking. Not irrational though. I could have died from choking once, so I am terrified for me and my kids.

I am terrified of my kids getting ran over by a car. You couldnt imagine how many family members I have on both sides of my family that have been injured or killed my vehicles. Some families have bad hearts or lung cancer, but cars accidents have devastated our family.

I am also (not as much now the kids are getting bigger) afraid I will die while dh is working overtime and the kids will be there with my corpse and they will be hungry and soiled and crying and scared. That makes me want to puke. Like I said, oldest is almost 6, I am sure he would get a neighbor now, but when my boys were both under 2 I thought about that a lot.

Oh and being taken to jail. I went through a traffic checkpoint and the officer wrote me a ticket for having a headlight out and all I could think was Im going to jail. I dont even speed, I am not a criminal, but I feel like they are always going to haul me off to jail. My kids crying and screaming. I cant imagine who they would have looking after them until dh showed up.

Raw meat. When I put raw meat on or in a certain bowl, plate or whatever, each time that dish pops up again for a long time I just inagine it is covetered in death and germs. I am not much of a germaphobe either, but raw meat makes my skin crawl.

I have a lot of fears regarding death, cemetaries, funeral homes, hospitals. With each of my kids I sat in the hospital bed and wondered how many people died in that bed. Yuck it makes me horrified. Hospitals tertify me. Any 90s kid remember tbe Are YoU Afraid of the Dark episode set in a hospital. Om freaking out right now just thinking..

Yes I do have issues.I better stop. Dh has left for work and now Im freaking out.

Butterflies and moths. (But not bees.) They don't bite, they don't sting, but they are unpredictable and get right in my personal space--I've even had one LAND ON ME and another one FLUTTER AROUND THREE INCHES AWAY trying to get its attention.

Also, sleeping on a boat. No idea why this would be a problem (Titanic?). My dad served aboard a submarine when I was a kid, so IDK.

Butterflies and moths are out to get me too.

• Like 1

Well, I have discovered that one of my biggest irrational fears is that I was the only one with those fears. You ladies have set my mind at ease :) I find I have many kindred spirits here at the Hive who fear some of the same things I do. May not change anything but at least I know I'm not the only one looking for serial killers in showers and sharks in the deep end.

Edited by PuddleJumper1
  • Like 1

I used to fear that my husband was replaced with an alien during the night...I'd get up to use the bathroom and be afraid they'd left a clone of him. So I'd question him to make sure...asking him things only he would know. 

This isn't a fear, but my ice maker makes REALLY weird clicking sounds and "pees" on the floor regularly. Part of me sometimes feels there is someone or something trapped inside (like a spirit) trying to communicate with us. The tapping sounds just like Morse code. 

I get angry when the phone rings, too. My dh looks at me like I'm crazy, because honestly? Why get so angry? The phone will ring and before I mean to the words will pop out of my mouth, "Oh seriously? Someone is calling??!" And it's not about calling vs texting. I felt this way loooong before texting was invented.

Perhaps it's because the only calls I get are for favors or from telemarketers or if there's some sort of problem with something. Phone calls are never because of good news. If the phone rings, it's either a telemarketer interrupting me or there's a problem I'm going to have to solve.

"Hey Garga...I was wondering if you could babysit my wild children for 4 months for me?"

"Mrs. Garga, we've finished the oil change, but it looks like your engine is about to disintegrate and so you'll need a new one. It'll be about $20k to fix."

Oh and being taken to jail. I went through a traffic checkpoint and the officer wrote me a ticket for having a headlight out and all I could think was Im going to jail. I dont even speed, I am not a criminal, but I feel like they are always going to haul me off to jail.

I have always figured that if I'm ever called in for questioning that I'll be innocent, but they won't believe me. I'll accidentally give a "tell" that makes them think I'm lying and no matter what I say, they'll be convinced I'm guilty. In books or movies where this happens the character always knows some fancy lawyer who can help, or they figure out a way to knock out the officers and escape. But I don't know any fancy lawyers or how to knock people out, so I'll be stuck trying to convince them I'm telling the truth, but the more desperate I get, the more guilty I'll look.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I have always figured that if I'm ever called in for questioning that I'll be innocent, but they won't believe me.  I'll accidentally give a "tell" that makes them think I'm lying and no matter what I say, they'll be convinced I'm guilty.  In books or movies where this happens the character always knows some fancy lawyer who can help, or they figure out a way to knock out the officers and escape.  But I don't know any fancy lawyers or how to knock people out, so I'll be stuck trying to convince them I'm telling the truth, but the more desperate I get, the more guilty I'll look.

Hey, I have this skill, except it's with doctors.  Something about me convinces them that I can't possibly be telling the truth and it's all due to stress.  I gave up.  I'll let an autopsy figure it out at some point.  My mom had the same skill, so it's likely inherited.   :glare:  

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2