Menu

Costco - I gave in! Healthy/organic finds?

Familia

Well, I cancelled our Best Buy dishwasher purchase (appreciated the warning, Tap) and bought the same model online from Costco.  The slight savings on the product brought the membership down to reasonable.  I am glad to be back there to get our ice-cream, shampoo, quinoa and salmon burgers!

But, we are trying to eat better foods.  I do like their organic ground beef.  

What are your finds in organics or healthier options there?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by secretgarden

In the fall and winter, they are my go-to for brussels sprouts, which I roast a really yummy way that we all love. There is also a kale/cabbage/sprouts salad in a bag that is good. They do have good Quinoa, too.

• Like 4

What I buy:

Chia seeds

Organic meats

Coconut milk

Soy milk

Nuts

Gluten-free bread

Green beans

Various portable snacks for my college kids

Depending on the needs, we also buy jeans, shirts, paper towels, TP, batteries, vitamins, water, toothpaste, and a host of other things.

Just three people here, so I don't buy the huge amounts, but it's still worth it for me. It's 30 minutes away, but near enough to other things that I don't mind.

• Like 1

In the fall and winter, they are my go-to for brussels sprouts, which I roast a really yummy way that we all love. There is also a kale/cabbage/sprouts salad in a bag that is good. They do have good Quinoa, too.

I've roasted brussels sprouts, but I always wing it.  Do you mind sharing your way...I could adopt it for consistency's sake.=)

Fruit and veggies (not always organic).

I love their cheeses.

Organic fresh chicken.

Fish. Nuts.

I went too hog-wild on produce there in the past and purchased so much that was wasted due to poor planning.  I intend to be a better steward this time.  I've heard their cheeses are awesome -- a snack we should eat more often!

I've noticed that Costco has been replacing their usual products with an organic version. I don't really mind but it raises the prices without giving a conventional lower cost option. E.g. Almond milk is no only organic and the price went up from 7 dollars for 3 to over 9 dollars for 3. Not huge but it does add up. I guess over the course of a year I'll be paying 100 dollars more for almond milk.

• Like 1

Pure Maple Syrup

Raw honey

Nuts and seeds

Rice

Organic eggs

Kerrygold butter

Organic chicken

Organic Hummus

Grass fed beef

Oils- olive, avacado

Ghee

Avacado mayo

Organic fresh and frozen frozen fruits and vegetables

I found we only have organic beef at our Costco, not grass-fed. Recently, I asked if that would change anytime in the near future and the answer was in the negative. What a boon it would be for farmers & processors who could contract with Costco with their grass-fed animals. I guess the supply-n-demand equation is a bit off-balance at the current time.

• Like 1

What they have varies. When my mil visits by car she always takes me to her Costco on the phone and gets whatever hers has that mine doesn't and visa versa :-)

But if yours has the rice and amaranth ramen, buy all of it!

They also sell some boss salsa. And the lime tortilla chips are v close to chipotle chips!

Meat is hit or miss at this one but we used to live by one that had the best grass fed organic pastured Everything :)

Batteries lol but for real. Snap circuits don't power themselves.

Bully sticks for the dog.

Dh gets sparkling water.

CHEESE IN HUGE AMOUNTS like I like it

Wine

Peanut butter

The good tuna... Uh blue cans? Sorry forgetting the brand.

Pink salt

Almond flour

Nuts and dates

Oh you gotta get the avacado oil and coconut oil.

I've roasted brussels sprouts, but I always wing it. Do you mind sharing your way...I could adopt it for consistency's sake.=)

!

Here's my way:

I toast about 1/2 cup pecans (I get these at Costco too) in a 350 oven for just a couple minutes, then turn oven up to 425. I coarsly chop the pecans and set them aside (not in oven). I halve the sprouts and cut off the stem ends. Drizzle them with a very good olive oil. Chop 2 slices thick bacon into small dice (i get this at Costco too). Place the sprouts on a foil-lined baking sheet or casserole dish. Sprinkle liberally with course sea salt and freshly geound pepper. Roast for about 20-25 minutes; stir once in a while to even out the browning. In a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 T balsamic vinegar with 1 T maple syrup (Costco again). When finished roasting, add in the pecans and pour this glaze over the roasted vegetables.

So yummy!!!

• Like 4

Here's my way:

I toast about 1/2 cup pecans (I get these at Costco too) in a 350 oven for just a couple minutes, then turn oven up to 425. I coarsly chop the pecans and set them aside (not in oven). I halve the sprouts and cut off the stem ends. Drizzle them with a very good olive oil. Chop 2 slices thick bacon into small dice (i get this at Costco too). Place the sprouts on a foil-lined baking sheet or casserole dish. Sprinkle liberally with course sea salt and freshly geound pepper. Roast for about 20-25 minutes; stir once in a while to even out the browning. In a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 T balsamic vinegar with 1 T maple syrup (Costco again). When finished roasting, add in the pecans and pour this glaze over the roasted vegetables.

So yummy!!!

Yum, pecans and bacon --  did not expect those additions!  This is perhaps obvious, but you put the bacon in the oven initially with the sprouts?

• Like 1

Yum, pecans and bacon -- did not expect those additions! This is perhaps obvious, but you put the bacon in the oven initially with the sprouts?

I do. In the original recipe, it was oven cooked before the sprouts, but I do not do this. My bacon is usually semi-frozen so I can sort of cube it up and put it in with the sprouts. It is all cooked completely by the time the sprouts are done.

• Like 2

Oh and do NOT get the cashew cluster things in the yellow bag. They're flim flam friggity fracking delicious.

Must try!

If I may switch vendors...during ds's treatment, a friend always supplied me with bags and bags of Sea-salt Caramel Chocolate Covered Almonds from Aldi!  They were so delicious!  The nurses on each shift during the week were treated to them, and they were a quiet, non-smell food (for ds's sake) that I could treat myself to.

Choceur brand.

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 1

Also - you could, of course, not have the bacon or pecans if you need or want to leave those out, but I would probably add a bit more olive oil and maybe use a little more glaze so you still get a love of flavor.

• Like 1

Must try!

If I may switch vendors...during ds's treatment, a friend always supplied me with bags and bags of Sea-salt Caramel Chocolate Covered Almonds from Aldi! They were so delicious! The nurses on each shift during the week were treated to them, and they were a quiet, non-smell food (for ds's sake) that I could treat myself to.

Choceur brand.

Sounds delicious. You should fershur never pick up the honey and sesame seed covered nuts at trader Joe's, either.

Here's my way:

So yummy!!!

This is one of my very favorite dishes. FIL's fiancée makes it for holiday dinners every year. Now I can't eat it without consequences because vegetables hate me. And the serving size I'd like to eat would REALLY hate me. Argh.

Oh and do NOT get the cashew cluster things in the yellow bag. They're flim flam friggity fracking delicious.

I'll have to look for those.  I was there today - dang it, wish I had seen this thread - and I saw something that looked like cashew clusters but was granola, I think. We used to get some sort of nut clusters at Sam's Club - True North brand - that were so so good but they haven't had them in a while.  We need more cashew cluster things in our life.

This might not fit the definition of healthy, but the Kirkland "isigny" brie has become a staple in our fridge. At my Costco it is $5.49 for a 13.4 ounce round.  It's in a cute wooden box.  There is a sort of chart on the back that describes the character of the cheese as it ages.  It is the best thing ever on Costco bakery's baguettes.  Even better if you make cheese toast in the toaster oven - just for a  little while, not so it melts all the way but so it's warm and a little bit melty and the bread has a slight crunch... ahhhh....

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I'll have to look for those. I was there today - dang it, wish I had seen this thread - and I saw something that looked like cashew clusters but was granola, I think. We used to get some sort of nut clusters at Sam's Club - True North brand - that were so so good but they haven't had them in a while. We need more cashew cluster things in our life.

This might not fit the definition of healthy, but the Kirkland "isigny" brie has become a staple in our fridge. At my Costco it is $5.49 for a 13.4 ounce round. It's in a cute wooden box. There is a sort of chart on the back that describes the character of the cheese as it ages. It is the best thing ever on Costco bakery's baguettes. Even better if you make cheese in the toaster oven - just for a little while, not so it melts all the way but so it's warm and a little bit melty and the bread has a slight crunch... ahhhh....

These things. https://www.google.com/search?q=costco+cashew+clusters&client=ms-android-google&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHq6Pv0KXWAhXBwVQKHW_GBwgQ_AUIEigC&biw=486&bih=736#imgrc=fJ80kNCglHkN1M:

Perfect (horrible) blend of salty sweet.

Not quite a healthy or organic thing, but I got tired of DH killing the lids (killing the LIDS autocorrect, not kids!) to our glass leftovers dishes from carrying them back to his work desk from the kitchen with hot food in them. He claims he doesn't really have a way around that. Costco has the big packs of those rectangular take-out food containers, BPA free and made in Canada. Now if he ruins a dish lid I just throw it in the recycling box and give the kids the container to do whatever with. Plus I can store individual servings of leftovers in the freezer beyond what we can eat quickly. They hold more than the square ones you can get at Target, but still fit in a lunch box.

They are great for hauling snacks around too, instead of using Ziploc bags.

I guess that's healthier than actual take-out and fast food or individual bags of junk food!

• Like 1

We buy Madras Lentils there. Short ingredient list, all real foods. Just quick.  Great for a hearty, hot meal fast. Or as a snack for my always hungry tweens. 

cheese

wild salmon

produce sometimes - I don't have much room, so their large quantities don't help me.

wine sometimes

EVOO

I too wish they would have grass fed beef. I buy that locally, though and wouldn't want to not support my local farmers. Wish they had pastured eggs too.

• Like 3

Here's my way:

So yummy!!!

We eat lots of roasted sprouts.  My kids favorite vegetable side!  I do this except without nuts. (can't leave out the bacon!)-I love Costco bacon.  The thick slices.

• Like 2

Cheapest source for organic eggs unless you know someone with chickens.

They always have a mineral type sunscreen in a big package at the beginning of summer.

I love their sulfate free shampoo/conditioner.

Their manderins are excellent.

And their bottled margarita.  Yes, margarita does fall into the healthfood category. :)

• Like 3

I have often wondered if that seaweed snack is good.

I don't know.... I Do think it is good and so does DS. But DH thinks some of the food I like are weird tasting  :)

I think Whole Foods and Sprouts sell similar ones (but not in those huge packages), so you might want to try it there. I like salty and crispy snacks like potato chips too much, so for me seaweed snack is healthier alternative.

Edited by MasaMama
  • Like 2

Not organic, but they have this dried nut/fruit thingy by Sahale Snacks that is like crack.  It's pecans, cashews, dried apples, dried peaches, and cinnamon.

We buy frozen shrimp and the frozen ground beef that comes in the one pound packages/tubes, boneless chicken thighs, etc.

Cheese! Almond flour, Costco organic chocolate milk boxes, oatmeal, pink salt, and their pepper grinder.

I used to be able to find the best Kirkland brand chocolate chips, but lately I've only seen Nestle.  I miss those chocolate chips.

Frozen organic mixed veggies.

Cage-free eggs and milk.

Fruits and veggies.

• Like 1

I really love their dates- the blue package by the other dried fruits.  

Everyone keeps mentioning their cheese- it's all good.  I'll have to try that brie and baguette soon!  

Baguettes and bagels.  Their muffins are pretty good also, but they are quite large and we have a hard time eating that quantity before they go south.

The guacamole in the single serve packets is fabulous for tucking in lunches or using as a sandwich smear.  

The box of frozen chicken breasts are individually portioned and reasonably sized.  Those are a staple.

The large tub of Greek yogurt, chocolate milk and quarts of whipping cream.

The frozen mandarin orange chicken is amazing.  Not healthy, and not organic I don't think, but a delicious and east treat. 

Kirkland brand coffee has become our everyday cuppa.

• Like 1

Also - you could, of course, not have the bacon or pecans if you need or want to leave those out, but I would probably add a bit more olive oil and maybe use a little more glaze so you still get a love of flavor.

I've lived my whole life without the bacon & pecans on my Brussels sprouts, I do not intend to go on that way any longer!!!  :laugh:

We need more cashew cluster things in our life.

This might not fit the definition of healthy, but the Kirkland "isigny" brie has become a staple in our fridge. At my Costco it is $5.49 for a 13.4 ounce round.  It's in a cute wooden box.  There is a sort of chart on the back that describes the character of the cheese as it ages.  It is the best thing ever on Costco bakery's baguettes.  Even better if you make cheese toast in the toaster oven - just for a  little while, not so it melts all the way but so it's warm and a little bit melty and the bread has a slight crunch... ahhhh....

Perfect for my relatively new finally-found-a-Christmas-tradtion-that-grows-up-with-the-family tradition...an hors d'oeuvres Christmas Eve meal!

Thanks - seeing the package will allow me to zero right in when I go!  Yum!

Not quite a healthy or organic thing, but I got tired of DH killing the lids (killing the LIDS autocorrect, not kids!)

:lol:

Our favorite is organic seaweed snack.

Also,

Organic olive oil

Organic spinach

Hmmm, couldn't get youngest to step near them, but might work for the male kin.

Cheapest source for organic eggs unless you know someone with chickens.

They always have a mineral type sunscreen in a big package at the beginning of summer.

I love their sulfate free shampoo/conditioner.

Their manderins are excellent.

And their bottled margarita.  Yes, margarita does fall into the healthfood category. :)

All great suggestions...got the eggs covered out back!

I really love their dates- the blue package by the other dried fruits.  

Everyone keeps mentioning their cheese- it's all good.  I'll have to try that brie and baguette soon!  

Baguettes and bagels.  Their muffins are pretty good also, but they are quite large and we have a hard time eating that quantity before they go south.

The guacamole in the single serve packets is fabulous for tucking in lunches or using as a sandwich smear.  

The box of frozen chicken breasts are individually portioned and reasonably sized.  Those are a staple.

The large tub of Greek yogurt, chocolate milk and quarts of whipping cream.

The frozen mandarin orange chicken is amazing.  Not healthy, and not organic I don't think, but a delicious and east treat. 

Kirkland brand coffee has become our everyday cuppa.

Thank you...all added to the list!

Oh if you buy the Brie, buy the red pepper jelly. 

Why had I not thought of this before?  Great elegant appetizer, thank you!

• Like 1

I've noticed that Costco has been replacing their usual products with an organic version. I don't really mind but it raises the prices without giving a conventional lower cost option. E.g. Almond milk is no only organic and the price went up from 7 dollars for 3 to over 9 dollars for 3. Not huge but it does add up. I guess over the course of a year I'll be paying 100 dollars more for almond milk.

I find this annoying - I don't have much use for industrial organic - it has most of the same problems as conventionally grown, and sometimes it can even be worse.  So I don't tend to pay for organic foods of that kind - I see it as mostly a money grab.

• Like 1