Menu

It started with a single bird feeder. . .

Pegasus

and now I'm worried that I may have toppled off the cliff of sanity.

Younger DD and I really enjoy watching birds (older DD and DH could not care less).  We started with one feeder and added others over time.  We now have four types of feeders and set out four types of food.  We get a nice variety of birds.  We also are visited often by squirrels and chipmunks, both of which are very amusing to watch.

A couple years ago, we had a bad drought and I started putting out dishes of water. I've kept it up as it is fun to watch birds and other critters drink or bathe.   

I was outside one day recently, refreshing the water, putting out more seed, sweeping up the debris, when I saw an insect flying around the water dish but unable to reach the water from the edge of the dish. So, now I'm placing a few rocks in one dish so that insects have a place to land and creep down to the water.  

Too far?  DH noticed the rocks and asked about them. When I explained, he only said "makes sense". However, he loves me and I'm not sure if he'd tell me if he thought I was nuts.

• Like 15

I don't think 4 feeders & what you've described is all that bad.  But, I have very fond memories of my grandparents enjoying their backyard bird-feeder.  I also used to be a beekeeper so having water access for bees makes perfect sense to me.... so I may not be your best judge.

Now, if you started adding lawn ornaments..then maybe we'd have a problem.   :001_tt2:

I know that of which you speak (write). We love our bird feeders and our birds. It's not an inexpensive passive activity as I'm sure you're finding out. So worth it though.

We've also planted some friendly plants. I have one that attracts hummingbirds and butterflies (firebush) and our beautyberry attracts all kinds of birds. They love those purple berries.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I was outside one day recently, refreshing the water, putting out more seed, sweeping up the debris, when I saw an insect flying around the water dish but unable to reach the water from the edge of the dish. So, now I'm placing a few rocks in one dish so that insects have a place to land and creep down to the water.  

I  :001_wub: this.

I don't think you're insane. I think you have a lovely hobby that benefits other creatures as well. What could be better? :thumbup1:  

• Like 3

I would love to have a bird bath in our yard as we love bird watching, have a couple of feeders, and are actually studying birds of N. America this year.

But is there a trick to having a bird bath that makes it so it isn't a mosquito breeding program? The advice around here is that you should never have any standing water around, even just a little bit, because it draws mosquitoes and gives them a place to hang out.

Thanks everyone. It is reassuring to hear confirmation as to my sanity.  Yes to the comments about cost. It isn't cheap but not too bad compared to many hobbies. 

I figured if it was nutty to "water the insects" that it must be hereditary.  I have fond memories of my grandmother's very large yard with mature trees.  Every summer, she would set a can of water at the base of every tree to ensure that any squirrels or other wildlife would have a place to drink.  I can envision her making the rounds, dumping and refilling each can.

But is there a trick to having a bird bath that makes it so it isn't a mosquito breeding program? 

Mosquitoes need still water and several days to breed.  So, the strategies include using circulating water (a fountain) or changing the water frequently. I dump and replace my dishes of water twice a week.

• Like 7

I have three seed type feeders and several hummingbird feeders. We have planted a lot of hummer and butterfly friendly plants--Turk's Cap has been very popular with the hummers this year. 

Birds tend to like water that moves a little--we get lots of birds when we turn on sprinklers in a flowerbed. 

In the winter, I keep suet out as well as seeds. 

• Like 1

Absolutely not insane. Watching nature is a great joy. I've even taken it as far as putting two different type of feeders in different places on my front porch just so the cats (and the humans) can watch the birds from different windows. I planted butterfly/hummingbird friendly plants around the window that's next to my favorite sitting chair so I can watch and enjoy them in comfort. The hummers never fail to awe me. 

Enjoy your nature friends. Small pleasures really do amount to great joy.

• Like 4

When I was a kid our older next door neighbour loved bird feeders. He had whole bird hotels, Huge bird houses.

Our cat loved to hunt, espically birds. We put a bell on her, and she just hunted with a paw held over the bell.

Our neighbor, who in his younger days loved to hunt took to hunting our cat. For the last few years of his life he would put on his hunting vest and bright orange hat and sit outside watching the birds, When our cat came near he would be ready with the newest and latest high powered water gun. He would then try his best to blast our cat.

When our cat died he really moarned the lost, he came to the funeral and everything. Her absence took away the Challenge and sport of bird watching.

• Like 7

Yes, just say "butterflies" instead of "insects." Rocks are also good for the smaller birds.

I don't think you're crazy. I have ten feeders out right now.

Yes definitely say "butterflies" instead  :laugh: 

When you said "insects" and "dishes of water" my mind jumped to "mosquito breeding ground."