Menu

After countless phone calls, and emails to Rival I've been unable to get to get a simple question answered, namely: "Is there any lead in the glazes used in crock pots?"

I've been totally stone-walled, and given "non-answers" to this question.

Reading between the lines of the non-answers it seems clear there either is or may be lead used in the Rival crock pot glazes, but Rival will not answer the question directly.

I'm promised a call back from a higher level executive tomorrow, but it seems pretty evident the company is unwilling to share basic consumer product safety information.

The most they will say is "if" there is lead it is with-in safe limits and there has never been a recall over the presence of lead.

If you ask if that means there maybe some "safe" amount of lead in the glaze you will get no direct answer to that question. And will be told to have it tested yourself.

We love our Rival crock pot and have used it for years, but after learning from another thread here on WTM that Rival Crock pots were turning up positive for the presence of lead I've become concerned for the safety of my family, and felt I should share my concern with our community here.

If you want to frustrate yourself, here is the Rival consumer information phone number:

1-800-323-9519

I'm sorry this thread is a "downer" but lead exposure is pretty serious and I don't think this company has been straightforward in addressing the issue.

Bill

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you hop on down to the hardware store and buy a lead test kit?

(Then you'd know for sure.)

Do we know how accurate these test kits are?

I honestly don't know, but if memory serves, I've seen the accuracy of DIY kits questioned. And from what I remember the news reports showed the glaze gave off more lead when the units heat up. So I don't know what to do at this point.

In any case, I do think a manufacturer has a duty to share safety information with its customers.

Bill

I honestly don't know, but if memory serves, I've seen the accuracy of DIY kits questioned. And from what I remember the news reports showed the glaze gave off more lead when the units heat up. So I don't know what to do at this point.

In any case, I do think a manufacturer has a duty to share safety information with its customers.

Bill

Spy Car, my husband is a chemist. When he gets back from work I'll ask him an accurate way to test for lead in/on your crockpot. It will probably be late this evening before I have an answer as to what might work.

After countless phone calls, and emails to Rival I've been unable to get to get a simple question answered, namely: "Is there any lead in the glazes used in crock pots?"

Reading between the lines of the non-answers it seems clear there either is or may be lead used in the Rival crock pot glazes, but Rival will not answer the question directly.

I'm promised a call back from a higher level executive tomorrow, but it seems pretty evident the company is unwilling to share basic consumer product safety information.

The most they will say is "if" there is lead it is with-in safe limits and there has never been a recall over the presence of lead.

If you ask if that means there maybe some "safe" amount of lead in the glaze you will get no direct answer to that question. And will be told to have it tested yourself.

We love our Rival crock pot and have used it for years, but after learning from another thread here on WTM that Rival Crock pots were turning up positive for the presence of lead I've become concerned for the safety of my family, and felt I should share my concern with our community here.

If you want to frustrate yourself, here is the Rival consumer information phone number:

1-800-323-9519

I'm sorry this thread is a "downer" but lead exposure is pretty serious and I don't think this company has been straightforward in addressing the issue.

Bill

Thanks for this update. Based on the previous thread and my own reading I went ahead and purchased a Hamilton Beach replacement. HB claims that their glaze does not contain lead. The clay, however, does but at very very tiny levels. I think I can live with that.

Bill

Wow - again, this is something I've never given any thought to. We use a Rival crockpot on a regular basis, and now I'm concerned.

FWIW, when we bought our 1902 house in 2002, we tested all of the paint on the doors with a DIY kit because some of them were original and had been repainted countless times. One of them tested positive. In the end we replaced all of the doors anyway, but my dh was satisfied that the DIY kit, in that case, was accurate.

You got me concerned about my Rival slow cooker I use frequently, so I started researching. Aside from many blog and forum postings, I found this: http://www.kutv.com/content/gephardt/story.aspx?content_id=f8eb08d7-f588-462b-a113-447426ea4816

I also read on another forum that the Elite Gourmet transparent slow cooker is made out of tempered glass, is available at Walmart and Target, and contains no lead.

So I guess I'll be throwing away my Rival!

Kris

I must have missed the original thread and I can't seem to find it when I do a search. Can someone link to it or to an article with more information on this? I have a Rival I love and use often.

I know I asked about this recently

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60745&highlight=la+creuset

Spy Car - that's a very weird run around you're getting from Rival. Certainly doesn't give one a warm & fuzzy feeling, does it?

Thanks you, Zelda. I didn't want to check, but was happy that my smaller one is HB. I'm pretty sure my bigger one isn't...Off to check the dungeon. (aka the basement) for the big guy. And can I just say....&^%$# to the manufacturers!:rant: (Apology given as I don't normally have such a mouth, but dang it...We're talking kids and families being exposed to this stuff.)

Update from the dungeon...Rival. Big old Rival...

Thanks for this update. Based on the previous thread and my own reading I went ahead and purchased a Hamilton Beach replacement. HB claims that their glaze does not contain lead. The clay, however, does but at very very tiny levels. I think I can live with that.
Edited by Tammyla

I know I asked about this recently

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60745&highlight=la+creuset

Spy Car - that's a very weird run around you're getting from Rival. Certainly doesn't give one a warm & fuzzy feeling, does it?

Thanks Hornblower, it was your thread that "enlighted" me that lead might be an issue.

The way Rival is "stonewalling" makes me suspicious of this company and their commitment to our safety. They stick to a "script" (literally) and refuse to acknowledge that there is lead in the glaze (or to say there is not lead in the glaze).

You get the feeling Rival has "lawyered up" and that this story is only beginning to unfold.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Uggghh, I hate to read this!!!!!!

I love my crocks and use them all the time. I have two... one new.

The response from Rival is definitely telling in my opinion. Apparently there's enough lead in there that most people wouldn't be happy about, but uncle fda is ok with. hhummm.

Wow - again, this is something I've never given any thought to. We use a Rival crockpot on a regular basis, and now I'm concerned.

FWIW, when we bought our 1902 house in 2002, we tested all of the paint on the doors with a DIY kit because some of them were original and had been repainted countless times. One of them tested positive. In the end we replaced all of the doors anyway, but my dh was satisfied that the DIY kit, in that case, was accurate.

We did lead tests on paint since we live in an old house as well. And found some areas that were "positive". Some things we removed, and some things we "buried" (following "good practice" directives such as not sanding items with lead paint).

But are the DIY kits which show gross amounts of lead in paint, good enough to show more minute amounts in a glaze? I don't know. But I am concerned. And Rival is not helping.

Bill

Bill

I suppose I was just thinking of the lead test kit as a "first response" measure. If, for instance, the lead kit showed positive, I wouldn't go any further--the crockpot would be gone. If it showed negative, I'd still have suspicions, and would follow it through further.

Well...I don't know how helpful this is going to be! I'll ask him if there's anything you can do at home when he gets back (this is from his email).

---Find a chem lab with an atomic absorption spectrometer or and

inductivityy coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometer (we have an AA

here at [the college he works at]). Fill the crock pot with distilled white vinegar

and let it cook for a few hours (to simulate cooking under highly

acidic conditions). Run a sample of the vinegar through the AA and

test for lead. You should also run a sample of the vinegar uncooked

as a control.---

1-800-323-9519

Bill

I'm in the market for a crock pot right now. This is all the info I need on Rival and a good warning in looking for others. With that evasive behaviour I simply won't be bothered. Thank you , sir.

You could do a science project......

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1410/lab-Env-07.html

I am a little doubtful now of a number of casserole dishes I have too. :glare: Now I worry about the glazed ones, & the glass ones - well, I'm the person whose glass measuring cup exploded recently, so each time I use the glass ones, I'm kind of flinching.

(lots of other great experiments there, btw http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1410/index.html)

Anyway, I know what I'm waiting for to go on sale - - Le Creuset :001_smile:

Well...I don't know how helpful this is going to be! I'll ask him if there's anything you can do at home when he gets back (this is from his email).

---Find a chem lab with an atomic absorption spectrometer or and

inductivityy coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometer (we have an AA

here at [the college he works at]). Fill the crock pot with distilled white vinegar

and let it cook for a few hours (to simulate cooking under highly

acidic conditions). Run a sample of the vinegar through the AA and

test for lead. You should also run a sample of the vinegar uncooked

as a control.---

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish we were in the same area, and we could film the test and make a YouTube video.

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish we were in the same area, and we could film the test and make a YouTube video.

We're just about a whole country apart!

Hey...I just had an idea!!!!

I'm going to bundle up the kids and take them to the Goodwill...see if I can find one of those crockpots!!! If I can, dh can test it (I'm sure we could even youtube it...you can do the intro!)

Hey, I've got one of those...let's see, it's around here somewhere...now where did I put that thing? Too much homeschool supplies piling up...

:lol: Oh, boy. I sprayed the computer screen trying to pronounce it. "ectomino-dometer...spectomino-sorption.."

atomic absorption spectrometer or and

inductivityy coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometer

Edited by Blessedfamily

I so wish it was easier to live healthfully. I suppose the stress of worrying over all the areas about which I choose to be concerned is worse than the health risks themselves... but doggonit!! :glare:

Our Rival is used frequently. If I had an actual income, I might have replaced it awhile ago because it cooks too hot for my liking. (Just this week, I set some nearly cooked black beans to 'Warm' and left home for a few hours. When I returned, they were boiling, even on the warm setting. Gah!) Now, I have another reason to replace the thing as soon as possible. And, one more thing to try to block out of my worried head for the time being while repeating my mantra: "I'm doing the best I can."

Bill, you got any jobs to offer? ;)

Oh yea, scratch the worries of aluminum leaching and insert fears of plastic toxins leaching :tongue_smilie:

What a world we live in.

Bill (who just wants to avoid poisoning his family)

It's getting so I may just eat straight off of the table and hope the wood doesn't have a toxic finish. I would use a paper towel, but they're bleached. :001_huh:

Just checked and I have a Rival Crockpot. Great. We got it as a wedding gift 16 years ago and it's still in good condition. Tell you how often I cook in it.

My husband will not be happy that I have now found one more reason to quit cooking.

Seriously, how frustrating.

I have six Rivals of various sizes. I use those a holiday times to keep food warm during holiday dinners. I thought I was so clever! Now, I see I've poisoned everyone!

I think that I'll throw them all out and just get a couple for standard uses. What brand is recommended now???