Menu

Let's play a game called "Common Theme" -- help me figure out DS5

AimeeM

There are a few shows that The Marvelous Flying Marco is absolutely terrified of. I mean, headphones go on, screeching, stimming, hands on his ears over his headphones, eyes closed, non-verbal. He will NOT discuss WHY he's scared of these shows. In fact, even the mere mention of these three shows sends him into the aforementioned state. He one time, over a year ago, saw one of these shows on the waiting room television at his ped's office, and now will not enter the ped's office until he is curled into a fetal position on Sissy's shoulder, headphones are on, and he will not look at or speak to anyone until we are safely in the back exam rooms -- even though it's been over a year. 

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Curious George

The Cat in the Hat (Knows A Lot About That)

Super Why

I'm trying to find a common theme here, because occasionally he adds a show to that list, but we have no clue it's been added until someone mentions it or he sees it, and starts either throwing himself around the room or pacing and screeching/covering ears. 

Anything come to mind (something common to these shows)?

Edited by AimeeM

I don't know all of those, but the common theme I see are animals that have human-like traits?  Perhaps that seems scary? 

Does Super Why? I haven't actually watched it except in passing. I didn't think it had animals with human traits in it.

You could be right!

Have you analyzed the music? My daughter used to be afraid of shows that had "scary music." Which was the first five minutes of EVERY Disney movie. We were leaving every movie until she watched Winnie the Pooh.

It might not even be that specific. He could be hearing a flute and deciding flute=bad.

Or maybe talking, upright walking animals creep him out?

• Like 2

Does Super Why? I haven't actually watched it except in passing. I didn't think it had animals with human traits in it.

You could be right!

Super Why has a talking pig.

I was also going to add that the characters in these shows often talk to the audience and look directly at the "camera", so to speak. That might be creepy, too. (I find it kind of strange, myself.) Of course, George doesn't do that.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1

My child has a condition that causes the fight/flight response when hearing very specific sounds. In this case, certain voices, especially male, with deep/bass/scratchy/grovely tones in them. Or the sound when a radio is just a smidge out of tune and there is a bit of static. Or hearing/feeling music vibrations coming from another car in traffic.

So, maybe not thematic, but tonal/pitch commonalities.

Eta, the experience is strong enough to cause huge panic at the thought of re-exposure, stimming, etc, so we carry a music player and headphones 24/7, and make sure the kid had them on before entering a Dr office waiting room.

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 1

So many common themes! Animals that walk and talk, the music or pitch, and PBS. I didn't even put that last one together (PBS). 

I read an article the other day about how autistic kiddos "love" Daniel Tiger and I laughed. And laughed. And laughed. I wish this one did! His big brother (also autistic) DOES love Daniel Tiger and all of the shows I've mentioned in this thread -- and frequently, even at 8 years old, sings the social-skills' songs from them. 

Not this little guy, though.

• Like 1

Going with the PBS Kids theme - will he watch Sid the Science Kid, Bob the Builder, or (gulp) Caillou?  Sid is cartoony with songs but no talking animals, Bob has songs and talking construction equipment, and Caillou has neither (as far as I remember, I've blocked most of that show out of my head).

I'm guessing Dinosaur Train, Peg + Cat, and Wild Kratts would also be out, if it's an anthropomorphic animal thing.

• Like 1

The animals talk like people and in many cases wear clothes; they live in houses and do all the people stuff. And nobody refers to it. I can see how it would freak a kid out to have that treated as normal on the show. Why is a pig one of Whyatt's best friends? Why does a tiger's dad sing to him? Why does the cat take people for rides? Why is the monkey eating at a restaurant?

• Like 2

Well, I thought it might be the animal thing because he also reacts very negatively about Dinosaur Train and Peg + Cat... but he loves Julius Jr., Micky Mouse Clubhouse, Max and Ruby.

He likes Ninjago, with the exception of two very specific episodes, according to Big Brother, who is giving me the "what Marco will watch" run-down. Marco won't watch "Misfortunes Keep" (?) and "a time blades episode."

They do all have a similar feel; I don't know how to describe it either.  You would not mistake them for a show from the 90s, for example.

Even as a kid I had trouble with some shows with talking animals, especially where there were also humans.  Do the humans eat cow for dinner?  Do the talking animals?  Does bacon not exist in this universe? Do only food animals not talk in this universe?  Wouldn't that tiger be eating that human at preschool?

All those shows have both talking animals (who dress and act like humans) and actual humans, as far as I remember.

Well, I thought it might be the animal thing because he also reacts very negatively about Dinosaur Train and Peg + Cat... but he loves Julius Jr., Micky Mouse Clubhouse, Max and Ruby.

He likes Ninjago, with the exception of two very specific episodes, according to Big Brother, who is giving me the "what Marco will watch" run-down. Marco won't watch "Misfortunes Keep" (?) and "a time blades episode."

All the ones he dislikes are PBS. I agree, I bet it's a commercial or some kind of teaching moment PSA that freaked him out. 

The other ones you listed are not PBS. 

What about the fact that Curious George and The Cat in the Hat are always breaking rules which could potentially get them into trouble.  I'm not as familiar with the other two shows.  My dd had a hard time when she was little watching someone do something that she knew would get them into trouble because of bad choices.  George and The Cat cause quite a bit of mischief.  

All except cat in the hat have lots of pauses. Maybe cat in the hat but I'm not sure.

The others... strange pauses and prolonged silences (usually after asking the audience a question).

Could be unrelated to the show - bad thing X happened during Daniel Tiger and now all Daniel Tiger is unbearable. Maybe he thinks they're boring or confusing but can't verbalize why?