Menu

Medicaid frustration

Janeway

I don't want to come off as heartless saying this because I do feel bad that individuals have to deal with it but, on the whole, I support making public assistance uncomfortable. Just recently new work requirements have reduced the number of people on food stamps. WIC enrollment is down since parents don't want to sit in a waiting room for a couple hours, answer tons of questions, and make their kids get a finger poke for $35 worth of basic foods per month (enrollment is down so much that military bases are closing wic clinics). When it's unpleasant to use only people who really need it will sign up.

It's never been easy or pleasant.

Or people who really need it no longer have access and now we have a bunch more hungry children.

If you're going to make it too hard for poor people to get aid, so that you can weed out the grifters from the legit more easily, you're going to need to do two things:

1. Like the ghost of Christmas present taught Scrooge, you should be quiet about decreasing the surplus population when you obviously don't even know who that is! Full time carers of children, elderly, and disabled persons, that's who you want trying to overcome impossible inconveniences in order to secure a little food for themselves. There are many women living in abject poverty because they are taking care of someone helpless. You want to break their hearts and their spirits, just give them a crap ton of bureaucracy and shame that they have to neglect their charge to sort out, before you'll let them have a little beans and rice. So our society offers no safety net for truly desperate people, and then we punish those who sacrifice everything to care for them...stop the world. I want to get off.

2. Face that the other category of people that you think you know about - the addicts and the grifters - might just let it go, and let their kids starve, if you make all the processes too time consuming, difficult, invasive, whatever, for people who do barely lift a finger. Of course they exist. Not in the numbers some suppose, and more because of addiction and generational problems than lack of love. But whoever they are, and however they got that way, you just judged their kids as less deserving of food. How does that feel? Have you ever been hungry as a child? I was. Many American children are. They need supper tonight, not some meal way off into the future after their parents gave proved that these children might be worthy of nourishment.

Get educated. Learn what is already being done. Feed children first and rank humans by worth later.

• Like 20

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know this?

It seems a bit presumptuous, particularly with all of the evidence to the contrary and the demonstrated differences from region to region in this thread.

I entirely believe that there are a ton of children in this country who are going without medical care.

My parents used to be foster parents, I have several friends who are or were foster parents. At minimum the children recieved vaccines, scheduled check ups, and counseling. All the infants were on WIC. My parents took in medically fragile children and all the doctors visits, OT, PT, and speech, medical equipment, was covered by medicaid. They never had problems getting the medical. When they took in a child with severe emotional problems the mental health care, the hospital stays, and even the long term favilities were paid by medicaid.

All the foster children have state mediciad.

*Note due to the extensive needs of the children I am familiar with, parental rights had been or were being severed. Many of the children came from extreme poverty and would not have had private insurance.

ETA To your second point. I agree there are probably children not getting medical care they need. I do not believe it is the case for children in foster care.

Edited by Χά�ων
  • Like 3

I don't want to come off as heartless saying this because I do feel bad that individuals have to deal with it but, on the whole, I support making public assistance uncomfortable. Just recently new work requirements have reduced the number of people on food stamps. WIC enrollment is down since parents don't want to sit in a waiting room for a couple hours, answer tons of questions, and make their kids get a finger poke for $35 worth of basic foods per month (enrollment is down so much that military bases are closing wic clinics). When it's unpleasant to use only people who really need it will sign up.

My father was in the Navy and my parents qualified for food stamps with one child.

Did you just imply that my father, while serving his country, was lazy?

Edited by Χά�ων
  • Like 12

$35 of food per month. Begrudging kids $1.16 per day, which isn't even enough to protect them from malnutrition. You see? Even with parents working as hard as they can to jump those hoops, if they aren't also working to provide for their children in addition to that, their kids are still gonna starve. Which most don't, because most families (including poor folks on assistance) are WORKING to provide for their kids. Not lazy. Not grifters. Working to provide for their own kids, like everybody else, but falling short.

• Like 14

'Sit in a waiting from for a couple hours'--during working hours? So that they lose their jobs? During school hours? So that their kids miss school and they have to deal with a truancy notice?

Wic is for pregnant or postpartum women and young children. School age children do not qualify so truancy is a non issue.

$35 of food per month. Begrudging kids $1.16 per day, which isn't even enough to protect them from malnutrition. You see? Even with parents working as hard as they can to jump those hoops, if they aren't also working to provide for their children in addition to that, their kids are still gonna starve. Which most don't, because most families (including poor folks on assistance) are WORKING to provide for their kids. Not lazy. Not grifters. Working to provide for their own kids, like everybody else, but falling short.

I in no way, shape, or form begrudge a child some milk and beans. My personal experience with this in military circles (where very few moms of young kids work) is that when they started requiring longer appointments, nutrition classes, and so on people stopped using the program. So many quit that offices on bases have closed. These are not people whose children are starving, they're people who were taking advantage of a program simply because it was easy to get some free stuff from. Once it wasn't so easy they realized it wasn't worth the hassle and started paying for those groceries out of pocket instead.

• Like 1

My father was in the Navy and my parents qualified for food stamps with one child.

Did you just imply that my father, while serving his country, was lazy?

No need to jump down my throat. Actually many military families qualify for food stamps, it's not all that uncommon. The military does now have a separate program which increases pay for those who qualify for food stamps so they won't have to use it. This in done in recognition of their difficult jobs and service to the country so no one is trying to say your relatives are lazy.

I in no way, shape, or form begrudge a child some milk and beans. My personal experience with this in military circles (where very few moms of young kids work) is that when they started requiring longer appointments, nutrition classes, and so on people stopped using the program. So many quit that offices on bases have closed. These are not people whose children are starving, they're people who were taking advantage of a program simply because it was easy to get some free stuff from. Once it wasn't so easy they realized it wasn't worth the hassle and started paying for those groceries out of pocket instead.

So a pp was right: you do think enlisted military families are grifters who make plenty and don't need public assistance. I didn't expect that!

• Like 11

I'm walking away from this. So much for having a dialogue where differences of opinion are discussed in an open and adult manner without nastiness or accusations.

Most people in the Hive are open to different opinions. Some of us have a really hard time when people think poor people should be shamed or made to feel bad about their circumstances. Especially children. Children should never do without just because their parents didn't do things the way other people think that they should. Are there people that take advantage? Sure, but most do not. Most would rather not have to ask for help, which is sad, people shouldn't feel ashamed to say "I need help". If it wasn't your intention to make people feel ashamed, then please take a second look at your wording.

• Like 9

I'm walking away from this. So much for having a dialogue where differences of opinion are discussed in an open and adult manner without nastiness or accusations.

There are many disagreements here. After you've been here a while you can pretty much predict who will respond in what manner. There are people I've tangled with (or they tangled with me) on one thread, then applauded or at least agreed with on another thread the same day. Differences of opinion and rational discourse are welcome here, and are quite common.

However, coming in as a relatively new poster with a low post count and immediately calling people lazy isn't really welcome. We have many, more than you know, members here who need Medicaid, WIC, food stamps or other assistance; some longer term than others. You might think your name-calling is about "others" but you actually insulted and offended a good number of long time, well-known, respected hive members. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 18

There are many disagreements here. After you've been here a while you can pretty much predict who will respond in what manner. There are people I've tangled with (or they tangled with me) on one thread, then applauded or at least agreed with on another thread the same day. Differences of opinion and rational discourse are welcome here, and are quite common.

However, coming in as a relatively new poster with a low post count and immediately calling people lazy isn't really welcome. We have many, more than you know, members here who need Medicaid, WIC, food stamps or other assistance; some longer term than others. You might think your name-calling is about "others" but you actually insulted and offended a good number of long time, well-known, respected hive members. 

Yes, this, exactly.

• Like 1

Then perhaps you should have stopped right there.

Extra irony points for the fact that there are low-ranking people in the military who are on some form of assistance. I guess you also think they don't work hard enough and should be made "uncomfortable" in order to access the help they need?

Add a few more irony points for the fact that US military personnel and their families​ have full access to the military health care system an exemplary socialized medical system.

• Like 9

My parents used to be foster parents, I have several friends who are or were foster parents. At minimum the children recieved vaccines, scheduled check ups, and counseling. All the infants were on WIC. My parents took in medically fragile children and all the doctors visits, OT, PT, and speech, medical equipment, was covered by medicaid. They never had problems getting the medical. When they took in a child with severe emotional problems the mental health care, the hospital stays, and even the long term favilities were paid by medicaid.

All the foster children have state mediciad.

But the access to state medicaid varies from state to state.  That's the point.  It's not a question about whether it's difficult to get on medicaid.  Rather, it's a question about receiving medical care while on medicaid.

• Like 1

deleted since differences of opinion are not welcome here

Oh it's not a difference of opinion that's the issue. Everyone has opinions. The issue is that you are flat out wrong.

No one should be punished for poverty. No one should lose their job because the had to wait hours for WIC, SNAP, TANF or Medicaid.

If you qualify, you should be able to access these programs without shaming.

• Like 13

Having a dialogue means allowing others to speak their opinion which may or may not counter yours.  Counter arguments are part of healthy discussions.

Of course, no dialogue can happen with you if you walk away at the first sign of lack of sycophants.

• Like 7

Or maybe these women can't find childcare.  I would assume these women are on a military base far from where they grew up, so there are no grandparents or aunties local.  They move around a lot, so no local trusted bff or next door neighbor.  I would also assume it isn't that easy for dad to take off work (if he is even in the country) for mom to do this.  I guess they could take a screaming baby and squirming toddler with them to these long appointments and nutrition classes, but it may not be worth if for some "milk and beans".  

• Like 14

I actually worked for a while on a task force that had the goal of getting more people on programs such as WIC, food stamps, free school lunches, and the summer food program. We knew the need was out there, and actively recruited people in need to apply for benefits. The goal was to decrease hunger in all people, not to kick people off and save money. One of the cool projects someone else worked on was getting farmers' markets to accept food stamp benefits.

I was on WIC 20+ years ago. It was routine to arrive at the office and wait hours to be seen (no appointments - first come, first serve). I also had to go to mandatory nutrition classes. The formula vouchers they provided were priceless for poor families. They definitely promoted breastfeeding, but for babies who were formula-fed, WIC really helped out a ton.

• Like 17

I actually worked for a while on a task force that had the goal of getting more people on programs such as WIC, food stamps, free school lunches, and the summer food program. We knew the need was out there, and actively recruited people in need to apply for benefits. The goal was to decrease hunger in all people, not to kick people off and save money. One of the cool projects someone else worked on was getting farmers' markets to accept food stamp benefits.

I was on WIC 20+ years ago. It was routine to arrive at the office and wait hours to be seen (no appointments - first come, first serve). I also had to go to mandatory nutrition classes. The formula vouchers they provided were priceless for poor families. They definitely promoted breastfeeding, but for babies who were formula-fed, WIC really helped out a ton.

This sounds like a great program!

• Like 1

And that is what the goal should be: decreasing hunger!

• Like 2

But the access to state medicaid varies from state to state. That's the point. It's not a question about whether it's difficult to get on medicaid. Rather, it's a question about receiving medical care while on medicaid.

And every state has children with significant health issues in foster care who are on medicaid and recieving medical care. A simple way to find out is to look at online adoption websites and see the number of older children with significant medical needs who would be dead without medical care. They are obviously being seen.

For nonfoster care families on medicaid, I am not disputing that there is a lot of work involved in finding providers. I will not dispute that people on medicaid moght have to drive a bit further to see a doctor. That is all part of why it is hard to be poor in America.

The furthest I have driven for my son is 4 hours each way. I have sat down and called every single provider medicaid lists to find one for my son. He has private insurance and medicaid now, I wish I could say I spend less time dealing with the insanity, I do not. I have to find providers who are accepting new patients and will take BOTH. I still have waiting lists. I still have to deal with driving to a provider. Frankly, I spend just as much time dealing with the crapola.

Currently I am out $75 because the private insurance company is being jerks and did not pay their portion. I have to appeal and deal with their hoops, something I never did with medicaid. With medicaid the boggest hoop was finding a provider, after that it was smooth sailing.

People had an opportunity to educate someone here, and ran them off instead.

That's understandable, but not productive.

In my experience, people on the internet who get their jollies shaming the poor have no interest in being educated. They're trolls who build themselves up by kicking people who are down.

• Like 9

In my experience, people on the internet who get their jollies shaming the poor have no interest in being educated. They're trolls who build themselves up by kicking people who are down.

I respect you Mergath but don't think that comments like this contribute to a dialogue of ideas. I disagree with the PP but her opinion is a common one in some circles. Characterizing anyone who expresses such an opinion as a troll is a personal attack that doesn't achieve anything constructive.

Challenging the thinking behind the opinion just might.

• Like 2

Soo a mom of a young child has to attend long appointments and classes. Does the WIC provide ways for the children to attent or were to families required to find child care? Does the military send deployed service members home so their spouse can attend a WIC class? Is the amount a family would get from WIC more than what a babysitter would charge? Why would a program that encourages breastfeeding make demands that would intefere with nursing?

I am picturing an exhausted mom with a new born, a 2 year old, and a 4 year old wrangling the kids to sit through a 2 hour nutrition class while her partner is deployed.

• Like 7

These are not people whose children are starving, they're people who were taking advantage of a program simply because it was easy to get some free stuff from. Once it wasn't so easy they realized it wasn't worth the hassle and started paying for those groceries out of pocket instead.

I'm not sure how anyone could have known this.  Isn't it entirely possible they just cut back on their groceries even more, rather than paying out of pocket?  How would anyone know whether they left the program voluntarily or the circumstances forced them to leave the program because the couldn't jump all the hoops?

• Like 7

There is always going to be somebody taking advantage of the system.  I don't have any illusions about that.  We should keep trying to address it the best we can.  But "addressing" it to the point where actually needy children don't get food or healthcare is not the answer.  I'm not willing to have ONE child go through that even if ten moochers get kicked off.  It's not worth the exchange, at least to me.

• Like 5

Soo a mom of a young child has to attend long appointments and classes. Does the WIC provide ways for the children to attent or were to families required to find child care? Does the military send deployed service members home so their spouse can attend a WIC class? Is the amount a family would get from WIC more than what a babysitter would charge? Why would a program that encourages breastfeeding make demands that would intefere with nursing?

I am picturing an exhausted mom with a new born, a 2 year old, and a 4 year old wrangling the kids to sit through a 2 hour nutrition class while her partner is deployed.

Also there are a quite a few moms who themselves are active duty; how are they going to find time to go off base and sit through long classes?

I wouldn't have signed up for WIC when I was active duty if it was a long arduous process far from where I worked--I wouldn't have been able to manage it logistically.

This is a nutrition program designed to get babies and children off to a healthy start through education and resources provided to parents. I can't imagine any positive to making it hard to access! Our society does not benefit from the long term impacts of poor prenatal and childhood nutrition.

• Like 6

But that can't be done if the person throws up their hands and leaves the discussion.  More likely than not, this person came to a homeschooling board with an opinion that they assumed was going to be applauded by stereotypical homeschoolers.  The problem for him/her is that the Hive is largely populated by intelligent women and men who do know the principles of debate, logic and rhetoric.  When faced with less than a sycophantic chorus, the poster quickly departed.  Perhaps challenged thinking is beyond their wont, or beyond their abilities.  I suppose if they have truly left the discussion, we'll never know.

• Like 2

But that can't be done if the person throws up their hands and leaves the discussion. More likely than not, this person came to a homeschooling board with an opinion that they assumed was going to be applauded by stereotypical homeschoolers. The problem for him/her is that the Hive is largely populated by intelligent women and men who do know the principles of debate, logic and rhetoric. When faced with less than a sycophantic chorus, the poster quickly departed. Perhaps challenged thinking is beyond their wont, or beyond their abilities. I suppose if they have truly left the discussion, we'll never know.

I remember being fairly new to the forum and expressing an opinion that got piled on. I think I left the conversation too, it was just too uncomfortable especially with the dynamic of many posters having long term associations and supporting each other while I felt like I was in my own.

I do learn a ton on here, I hear so many different perspectives; some I agree with and some I don't but when everyone in a discussion is willing to remain respectful true mind stretching happens.

When disrespect is met with more disrespect nothing good happens.

• Like 4

And every state has children with significant health issues in foster care who are on medicaid and recieving medical care. A simple way to find out is to look at online adoption websites and see the number of older children with significant medical needs who would be dead without medical care. They are obviously being seen.

For nonfoster care families on medicaid, I am not disputing that there is a lot of work involved in finding providers. I will not dispute that people on medicaid moght have to drive a bit further to see a doctor. That is all part of why it is hard to be poor in America.

The furthest I have driven for my son is 4 hours each way. I have sat down and called every single provider medicaid lists to find one for my son. He has private insurance and medicaid now, I wish I could say I spend less time dealing with the insanity, I do not. I have to find providers who are accepting new patients and will take BOTH. I still have waiting lists. I still have to deal with driving to a provider. Frankly, I spend just as much time dealing with the crapola.

Currently I am out $75 because the private insurance company is being jerks and did not pay their portion. I have to appeal and deal with their hoops, something I never did with medicaid. With medicaid the boggest hoop was finding a provider, after that it was smooth sailing.

You have proven my point.

Poor people don't necessarily have the means to drive 4 hours each way, nor do all people eligible for Medicaid have the skillset or time or presence of mind to call every single provider on Medicaid lists.

I believe that foster kids are on Medicaid because that is the law.  I don't believe that that necessarily means that they are well provided for medically, and I see that as a problem, along with everyone else who is on insurance of various kinds, including Medicaid, and still can't reasonably access medical care.

• Like 2

I respect you Mergath but don't think that comments like this contribute to a dialogue of ideas. I disagree with the PP but her opinion is a common one in some circles. Characterizing anyone who expresses such an opinion as a troll is a personal attack that doesn't achieve anything constructive.

I've tried countless times over many years to get people to at least consider the other side on this topic, but when it comes to poverty-shaming I've never had a single person so much as say they'll consider the other POV. At this point my main concern is standing up for the people being shamed rather than trying to educate the jerk doing the shaming. The only thing that ever seems to change someone's views is unexpectedly being tossed into poverty, and even then half the time the person is like, "But MY situation is different from all those lazy welfare queens out there."

Honestly, at this point I've just had it with people who think this way about the working class.

ETA: I can even tell you the exact moment I gave up on trying to educate people on this stuff. It was a few days ago, when someone on FB said that poor women who can't afford diapers can just use t-shirts as cloth diapers, and if they don't have a washer and dryer they can wash the poopy t-shirts in a stream.

Nope. I'm done. My patience with this stuff is officially gone.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 2

ETA: I can even tell you the exact moment I gave up on trying to educate people on this stuff. It was a few days ago, when someone on FB said that poor women who can't afford diapers can just use t-shirts as cloth diapers, and if they don't have a washer and dryer they can wash the poopy t-shirts in a stream.

Nope. I'm done. My patience with this stuff is officially gone.

I don't know how to do the shocked face emoji on my phone so I guess you'll have to imagine it.

Yikes!

Yes, there are people in the world who live that reality, but It is a horribly shameful thing for the better off part of humanity that it happens that way and certainly not something that should be defended as good and proper and OK when other possibilities are out there.

I can understand the frustration.

• Like 2

You have proven my point.

Poor people don't necessarily have the means to drive 4 hours each way, nor do all people eligible for Medicaid have the skillset or time or presence of mind to call every single provider on Medicaid lists.

I believe that foster kids are on Medicaid because that is the law. I don't believe that that necessarily means that they are well provided for medically, and I see that as a problem, along with everyone else who is on insurance of various kinds, including Medicaid, and still can't reasonably access medical care.

I agree.

Medicaid is not an easy system to use...at all. I have used it for over 100 foster children as well as worth my own now young adult disabled kids (adopted through foster care). I am a college educated person with some medical background, was able to stay home most of the time I had the kids home, and had reliable transportation and I STILL spent hours and hours trying to access services...and we live in a good area for services.

Some people on Medicaid are adults with special needs who sadly often don't have others advocating for them. Picture a person with the developmental level of an 8-10 year old child with no transportation trying to navigate the system.

Someday , if I figure out how to become independently wealthy, I want to be a medical social worker/advocate to help people who struggle with this.

• Like 6

Wic is for pregnant or postpartum women and young children. School age children do not qualify so truancy is a non issue.

A significant portion of 3 and 4 year olds on WIC are in publicly funded preschool slots, either because they meet income qualifications (e.g. Head Start), they qualify due to a disability, or they live in a place with a UPK program.

Many of these programs do have attendance requirements, and a child's spot can be jeopardized if the child misses.

• Like 1

I love you post. And I thought you'd like the link --

Free breakfasts and lunches in NYC during the summer months, at schools, pools, parks, libraries, also several food trucks. Menus are posted at the link, and there is an app for finding locations. For anyone 18 or younger, no ID or documentation required.

http://www.schoolfoodnyc.org/sch_search/summermeals.aspx

The meals sound good -- Stonyfield yogurt, organic cereals, fresh fruit for breakfast. Deli sandwiches for lunch, plus more fruits and veggies. So much for pp's milk and beans.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

Oh it's not a difference of opinion that's the issue. Everyone has opinions. The issue is that you are flat out wrong.

No one should be punished for poverty. No one should lose their job because the had to wait hours for WIC, SNAP, TANF or Medicaid.

If you qualify, you should be able to access these programs without shaming.

I can agree for the most part here.   Wic though is not based on poverty.  it's based on income.  As airforce mom says, I've seen folks collect wic who aren't poor although they meet the income requirements.  I live in an area with lots of middle class folks who have project based work with one large payment then much, much less.  In that regard, I agree with her that more hoops are needed.  It's really irksome.  

On the other side, we have working moms who skip the extra food $ because its too little to miss work for after the babies are off formula.  What I'd like to see is more of the mobile wic clinics which go to the library reading hours to go to the poorest corridors of our city in the morning and evening for a couple of days  each month and to accept doctors records/vaccinations reports  instead of needing to see the child.  If our goal is truly the children, then the services need to be accessible. 

• Like 1

I love you post. And I thought you'd like the link --

Free breakfasts and lunches in NYC during the summer months, at schools, pools, parks, libraries, also several food trucks. Menus are posted at the link, and there is an app for finding locations. For anyone 18 or younger, no ID or documentation required.

http://www.schoolfoodnyc.org/sch_search/summermeals.aspx

The meals sound good -- Stonyfield yogurt, organic cereals, fresh fruit for breakfast. Deli sandwiches for lunch, plus more fruits and veggies. So much for pp's milk and beans.

There are free summer lunches at some schools in our area but the food is typical cheap school cafeteria food--the kind where everything comes out of a can and the budget doesn't allow for quality.

Better than no lunch.

• Like 3

Once it wasn't so easy they realized it wasn't worth the hassle and started paying for those groceries out of pocket instead.

What did they give up in order to pay for those groceries out of pocket? A pair of shoes for a growing child? Putting gas in the car to get where they needed to go? Saving for a pair of eyeglasses? School supplies? OTC allergy medicine? 

• Like 7

I can agree for the most part here.   Wic though is not based on poverty.  it's based on income.  As airforce mom says, I've seen folks collect wic who aren't poor although they meet the income requirements.  I live in an area with lots of middle class folks who have project based work with one large payment then much, much less.  In that regard, I agree with her that more hoops are needed.  It's really irksome.  

I'm confused. Why is it irksome to have people use a program that they qualify for financially? If people are paid on a contract basis, that money has to carry them through the times when they have no contracts. It isn't as if their living expenses go away. Is it that you think they shouldn't qualify for benefits when they have received a payment for a contract? Can't they save some of the money to meet their future expenses, such as housing? If they receive WIC each month, then they can stretch the contract money further into the lean months. 

• Like 4

Making everyone jump through extra hoops adds a burden not only to every person who needs the benefit but also to the tax payers who fund it--more man hours are required to verify and process more complex applications.

Really it is better to let a few people who don't maybe really need the benefit have it than to unnecessarily complicate matters for the people who do need it.

• Like 11