Menu

if you feel like talking about anxiety

summerreading

I am a bundle of nerves today. I want to "accept the anxiety" and let it roll off my back but of course I am thinking all doom and think other people can do that but I will "never" be one of them. My anxiety can get really bad. I throw up and instead of it being a 15 min. anxiety attack, it rolls on for months. I am feeling that jittery now. I am beginning to second guess my decision to stop my SSRI (Still taking it but weaning under dr's supervision). I have a wedding to go to tomorrow and I feel like skipping out. Social situations are so hard.

that is all, just wanted to commiserate for a moment. 

I'm sorry. 💜 Anxiety is difficult. BTDT. I weaned off of a SSRI at one point, too. It wasn't horrible, but I had a few side effects. I got pulled over by a cop late one night because he said I kept swerving. I kept thinking I saw bright lights in my periferal vision, so maybe I was swerving when I saw those. I think they call these "bursts." That was the worst side effect I had, though.

• Like 2

I'm sorry. 💜 Anxiety is difficult. BTDT. I weaned off of a SSRI at one point, too. It wasn't horrible, but I had a few side effects. I got pulled over by a cop late one night because he said I kept swerving. I kept thinking I saw bright lights in my periferal vision, so maybe I was swerving when I saw those. I think they call these "bursts." That was the worst side effect I had, though.

Thank you. Were these side effects of being on it or weaning off?

What about something like L-Theanine when it gets rough?  You don't have to take it regularly--you can just treat the moment.

Yes, I just posted about taking this as helpful at night. I ran out! :/

• Like 2

Do you have a non-meds plan in place? For example, are you getting CBT?

You may need to slow down your weaning process.

Personally, I can only do acceptance on meds, which doesn't cure, but dials down the intensity.

Sorry you are suffering. Distraction and strenuous exercise worked a bit for me before meds.

For the wedding, I'd probably use distraction. Anticipation can be very provoking, so maybe try to avoid some of it through distraction.

I'd probably think of the worst thing that could happen, and make a plan for that.

But otherwise, I'd just go. Not even give myself an out. Plan for the worst, distract, distract, go to wedding, have mini breaks in the loo! and leave early if really not coping.

I have never done CBT. I guess if I am going to be med free, I should get that in place. See, when I was on the SSRI full strength, well that fixes it enough that I don't feel the need to pursue CBT. And I don't have good insurance, so there's that. I get caught up in thinking it's bad to be on medicine. I don't like the flu feeling if I miss a dose by even an hour. I have decisions to make. It helps to hear what others deal with. thanks

• Like 1

No advice, just :grouphug:

I'm dealing with stone intense anxiety right now myself. I really don't want to go on synthetic meds if I can help it. However since you're already on them, I think I agree with another post to wean more slowly or stop weaning altogether until you have a viable plan in place.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

Thank you. Were these side effects of being on it or weaning off?

Yes, I just posted about taking this as helpful at night. I ran out! :/

Weaning off. I had been cutting meds in half, but this happened about halfway theough my reduction.

Anxiety runs in my extended family so I am familiar with it. In addition, I, too, have done an SSRI in the past for a particularly stressful time in my life. When I decided it was time to wean off, I went very very slow as I had read getting off of them can be difficult. 3 weeks of 3/4's strength, then 2 weeks of 1/2 strength (of original dose), 2 weeks at 1/4 strength (of original dose), then every other day for a bit. Never had any side effects that I had read about.

Once I was totally off, I took a good look at my sugar intake. I find when I consume too much (which doesn't have to be much, in my case), it can make my anxiety skyrocket. I notice the same thing in one of my boys.

At any rate, anxiety is awful. One of the best things I find to do, besides pray, is to focus on someone else and what I can do for them. Something as simple as writing out encouragement or thank you cards to someone helps me to get the focus elsewhere. And you bring a smile to someone's mailbox a few days later.

~melissa

• Like 5

Yeah,anything other than mild anxiety needs treatment, and if it's not meds, it needs to be therapy. CBT is standard non-med treatment.

It's not bad to take meds. Bet you wouldn't say that to a friend who needed insulin for her type 1 diabetes? Anxiety is no different.

Personally, I'd stop weaning till I could talk to the Dr about this increasing anxiety. You may need CBT in place before you wean. Or a slower wean. Or a different med.

It's not about effort of will.

((hugs))

Highly agree with above post esp the last sentence: It's NOT about effort of will.

• Like 6

Yeah,anything other than mild anxiety needs treatment, and if it's not meds, it needs to be therapy. CBT is standard non-med treatment.

It's not bad to take meds. Bet you wouldn't say that to a friend who needed insulin for her type 1 diabetes? Anxiety is no different.

Personally, I'd stop weaning till I could talk to the Dr about this increasing anxiety. You may need CBT in place before you wean. Or a slower wean. Or a different med.

It's not about effort of will.

((hugs))

Thank you. This is helpful. I'll give a call in. I was on a low dose originally so hopefully if we decide it's best, it won't be too bumpy of a ride getting back on. 

I was just chatting with my sister who is a counselor and she said I need to practice CBT when I'm not anxious so I can fall back on it when I am. 

• Like 6

Yep. The time to engage with CBT is when you don't really need CBT! Weird but true.

I personally need to be on meds to use CBT techniques. Off meds, my anxiety is so overwhelming that I can't do CBT.

It's really common, though, what you describe - feeling OK on meds, so why do I need to do CBT? And then you come off the meds, and wham! you need CBT.

Btdt!

It really makes me feel a bit grounded to read that this is a normal reaction. The world is not imploding and my anxiety is not some crazy defect only I have, but across the board common. I need to remember this. 

• Like 2

I agree with Sadie, I need meds to get me to a level where I can do the therapy work. I'm on them pregnant and still struggling. It's really really hard!

But every doc I've seen has said the same thing: this is a medical condition and there's no shame in treating it, even if pregnant (again the blood pressure or diabetes illustration - you wouldn't go off those if pregnant)

• Like 4

I was just chatting with my sister who is a counselor and she said I need to practice CBT when I'm not anxious so I can fall back on it when I am. 

This, 100%!

I did CBT for years, then eventually switched to DBT (Dialectical Behavorial Therapy), which seems very helpful for people who experience really strong emotions. I enrolled in a group that did "skills training," a series of modules for learning techniques that work for us. We would practice practice practice, working our way through very minor things, seeing what was most effective for us as individuals, and then learn to apply them to increasingly stressful situations. 

For example, there were 10 different breathing techniques described in one worksheet. Our homework for the week was to give them a try for a few minutes each day, seeing which version suited us, and come back to group prepared to talk about how we felt before and after. There would always be a few people in the group who said they never got a chance to practice their skill for the week, as they were in constant crisis. But, for those of us who could set aside the time, it was time well spent. 

• Like 3

hope it doesn't bother you I can see your reply in my email. hugs back to you. It does help in some super weird way to know others go through this. I feel bad for everyone lol

It doesn't bother me at all. 

I hope it gets better for you. I really, really do. 

• Like 1

This, 100%!

I did CBT for years, then eventually switched to DBT (Dialectical Behavorial Therapy), which seems very helpful for people who experience really strong emotions. I enrolled in a group that did "skills training," a series of modules for learning techniques that work for us. We would practice practice practice, working our way through very minor things, seeing what was most effective for us as individuals, and then learn to apply them to increasingly stressful situations. 

For example, there were 10 different breathing techniques described in one worksheet. Our homework for the week was to give them a try for a few minutes each day, seeing which version suited us, and come back to group prepared to talk about how we felt before and after. There would always be a few people in the group who said they never got a chance to practice their skill for the week, as they were in constant crisis. But, for those of us who could set aside the time, it was time well spent. 

This sound so helpful! Good that you were able to get benefit from it.

I think emotions for me have started to mellow with age. But I deal with the feeling of constant sensory overload. Like my kids are too loud, too many people are talking at once, etc. Does DBT address stress like that?

I think emotions for me have started to mellow with age. But I deal with the feeling of constant sensory overload. Like my kids are too loud, too many people are talking at once, etc. Does DBT address stress like that?

Hmm.. Well I don't recall it focusing on it specifically, but DBT helped me with that. I am also highly sensitive to lots of other things besides emotions: sounds, smells, flavors, clothes, etc. I also have a very sensitive gut (IBS) and when I get super anxious my gag reflex kicks in. So, I hear ya...

Actually, I remember them saying something about highly sensitive people being told from a young age that they were TOO SENSITIVE, leading to feelings of invalidation, and an inability to properly process/express emotions. That rings true for me.

DBT helps you manage your response to whatever your stress is. It helps you learn to adjust your focus of attention. They have modules on Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness. I found them all helpful. Emotion Regulation is partly about taking care of your body: getting enough sleep, proper nutrition, taking medication as prescribed, and elimination of alcohol and other things that throw us off. Keeping that balance makes the other stuff easier.

Here is a link to a self help site for DBT. 

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/dbt_lessons.html

It probably won't be helpful to try it on your own, but you can have a look at it and see what you think. Most DBT groups have a rule that you have to have a regular therapist outside of the group, too, for CBT or other therapy since the group sessions are supposed to focus on learning the skills, rather than problem solving everyones issues for the week.

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 4

It's hard. I hate the side effects of my SSRI, but I love that it helps me function closer to normal. Sometimes meds are just necessary. There's nothing wrong with using them if you need them.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Did the feeling of sensory overload start after you began weaning off the meds? Because that can be a side effect of medication withdrawal.

There's no shame in being on medication. I have OCD and I've been on one SSRI or another most of my adult life. If you're happy on the meds and tolerate them well, you might want to reconsider whether going off them is the best plan for you. I learned very quickly when I was younger that no one is going to show up and give me a medal for suffering through mental illness without medication. ;)

• Like 4

I recently weaned off of my SSRI, but I do take an occasional Xanax for anxiety. I've suffered from anxiety since childhood and it's been horrible at times, especially social anxiety. (High school was a nightmare!!)  I also periodically suffered from panic attacks. I'm about 80% better now, but I still avoid certain situations. I can't handle crowded malls or noisy, bright restaurants. I think I have some sensory issues at play in these situations, which adds to the anxiety. I've recently noticed a huge reduction in my anxiety when I changed my diet. I eat very clean now and take some supplements, not specifically for anxiety. I had been on a low dose SSRI, increased the dose when I was diagnosed with MS, and then weaned off when I started feeling less anxious. I'm not against going on them again if I need to, I just don't feel like I do right now. Thankfully the SSRI I was taking didn't give me any negative side effects, even when weaning off of them.

A few years ago I found out I had Hashimoto's, and was put on levothyroxine. I noticed a moderate decrease in anxiety after that. Have you had your thyroid checked? My sister had horrible anxiety before she was diagnosed with it as a teenager. 

• Like 1

Are you familiar with the designation "highly sensitive person" or HSP? Check out http://hsperson.com and take her online quiz and then see resources. Or just google articles. It was so helpful to see there there is set of predictable cause/effect dynamics at play on my life- some of which, if ignored or overlooked would manifest exactly like anxiety. It's not an either/or, but more a both/and for me 😜

Undestanding that my nervous system is highly sensitive to stimuli helped me unpack my feelings of anxiety quite a bit. There is a subtle difference between panic/anxiety disorder and HSP and yes you can be both. But until I differentiated it all felt like anxiety and snowballed.

Just a suggestion based on what you said. (((hugs))

• Like 3

Do you have techniques or medications you can use when you feel anxiety going nuts?

I am an "anxious person" -- always have been, surely always will be -- and I deal with it in a variety of ways. You need a plan to deal with the anxiety, and just having the plan can make a huge difference in your anxiety levels, IME. 

Motherwort tincture is a nice herbal remedy. (I get it locally hand made, but I'm sure you can order it online.)

Marijauna is the bomb for anxiety if you live somewhere you can have it legally. If you live somewhere you can get/use it legally and haven't tried it, I'd suggest you look into it. Much safer and more effective than most pharmaceuticals.

Xanax is awesome, but only for occasional use, and it's a controlled substance, so you need a doctor to prescribe it. For me, it's been a huge help, as just having it on hand reduces my anxiety massively, so over the years, I needed it less and less. Knowing I have it to fall back on is a huge stress reliever, as it gives me total control. I've never used it more than occasionally, maybe a handful of times per year on average. I wouldn't want to be on it daily for long term, but for the occasional disaster control method, it's fantastic and legal. (Can't drive, though. And probably not a good idea if you have addictive tendencies, and you need to keep it securely stored, as you do with any dangerous drug.) I've probably not taken more than an average of 5-10 doses per year over the last decade, but it made a TREMENDOUS difference in my quality of life. (If I lived somewhere marijauna was legal, I don't think I'd need or use Xanax, FWIW, but it's not legal where I live. Yet.)

Outdoor exercise is a *tremendous* help IME. If you can find time to walk or run or bike or paddle or whatever outdoors for an hour or so daily, you may find a dramatic reduction in your anxiety. (Lots of) running pretty much cured me of regular anxiety, relegating my severe anxiety "spells" to rare and severe situations. Running got me through my mom's Alzheimer's and other terrible stressors . . . 

Frequent TeA is a great anxiety reliever, IME. If it's a possibility in your relationship/marriage, daily TeA is pretty awesome for overall mental health and stress/anxiety reduction, IME. I'd encourage anyone to give themselves a RX of daily (good) TeA for a month just to give it a try. 

Speaking of TeA, I tried a SSRI for anxiety for a couple months once many years ago. It made me "numb from the waist down" so to speak, and I am certain that if I'd stayed on it, both dh and I would have become severely depressed, lol. I wouldn't try it again.

• Like 1

I think others suggesting anxiety meds to take as needed are on the right track. My awesome doctor prescribed me a generic for Ativan last year when I was switching from one SSRI to another, because the transition process is anxiety-ridden. Since you're weaning under a doctor's supervision, I suggest asking for a script for Ativan or something to help take the edge off.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't want to make it a thread about me, just if anyone wanted to vent. I made it through the wedding. There were tons of people, it was super noisy. I took GABA before going and did deep breathing. We also had a legit excuse to leave early.

It's hard. I hate the side effects of my SSRI, but I love that it helps me function closer to normal. Sometimes meds are just necessary. There's nothing wrong with using them if you need them.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I agree completely there isn't anything wrong with meds. I have put on some weight too since starting and I am concerned about that too though.

Did the feeling of sensory overload start after you began weaning off the meds? Because that can be a side effect of medication withdrawal.

There's no shame in being on medication. I have OCD and I've been on one SSRI or another most of my adult life. If you're happy on the meds and tolerate them well, you might want to reconsider whether going off them is the best plan for you. I learned very quickly when I was younger that no one is going to show up and give me a medal for suffering through mental illness without medication. ;)

No, I feel over stimulated all the time, with or without medicine.

Are you familiar with the designation "highly sensitive person" or HSP? Check out http://hsperson.com and take her online quiz and then see resources. Or just google articles. It was so helpful to see there there is set of predictable cause/effect dynamics at play on my life- some of which, if ignored or overlooked would manifest exactly like anxiety. It's not an either/or, but more a both/and for me 😜

Undestanding that my nervous system is highly sensitive to stimuli helped me unpack my feelings of anxiety quite a bit. There is a subtle difference between panic/anxiety disorder and HSP and yes you can be both. But until I differentiated it all felt like anxiety and snowballed.

Just a suggestion based on what you said. (((hugs))

I just took this quiz again. I remember trying it a long time ago. I was a "yes" to almost every question. I picked up the book at the library and hopefully it will give me some insight.

Do you have techniques or medications you can use when you feel anxiety going nuts?

I am an "anxious person" -- always have been, surely always will be -- and I deal with it in a variety of ways. You need a plan to deal with the anxiety, and just having the plan can make a huge difference in your anxiety levels, IME. 

Motherwort tincture is a nice herbal remedy. (I get it locally hand made, but I'm sure you can order it online.)

Marijauna is the bomb for anxiety if you live somewhere you can have it legally. If you live somewhere you can get/use it legally and haven't tried it, I'd suggest you look into it. Much safer and more effective than most pharmaceuticals.

Xanax is awesome, but only for occasional use, and it's a controlled substance, so you need a doctor to prescribe it. For me, it's been a huge help, as just having it on hand reduces my anxiety massively, so over the years, I needed it less and less. Knowing I have it to fall back on is a huge stress reliever, as it gives me total control. I've never used it more than occasionally, maybe a handful of times per year on average. I wouldn't want to be on it daily for long term, but for the occasional disaster control method, it's fantastic and legal. (Can't drive, though. And probably not a good idea if you have addictive tendencies, and you need to keep it securely stored, as you do with any dangerous drug.) I've probably not taken more than an average of 5-10 doses per year over the last decade, but it made a TREMENDOUS difference in my quality of life. (If I lived somewhere marijauna was legal, I don't think I'd need or use Xanax, FWIW, but it's not legal where I live. Yet.)

Outdoor exercise is a *tremendous* help IME. If you can find time to walk or run or bike or paddle or whatever outdoors for an hour or so daily, you may find a dramatic reduction in your anxiety. (Lots of) running pretty much cured me of regular anxiety, relegating my severe anxiety "spells" to rare and severe situations. Running got me through my mom's Alzheimer's and other terrible stressors . . . 

Frequent TeA is a great anxiety reliever, IME. If it's a possibility in your relationship/marriage, daily TeA is pretty awesome for overall mental health and stress/anxiety reduction, IME. I'd encourage anyone to give themselves a RX of daily (good) TeA for a month just to give it a try. 

Speaking of TeA, I tried a SSRI for anxiety for a couple months once many years ago. It made me "numb from the waist down" so to speak, and I am certain that if I'd stayed on it, both dh and I would have become severely depressed, lol. I wouldn't try it again.

I believe if you discuss the problems which you are facing then the level of anxiety and depression goes down. So always address issues with your friends or family members to get the solution.

Great advice above. I think finding an emergency supplement would be ideal. I can see how just having it on hand would take the edge off. I can't go the perscription route for that. Someone recommended Gaba Calm. 

• Like 2