Menu

Help! 40 year old Princess Party!

Garga

When I turned 40, I invited about 50 people to a laser tag birthday party for myself. It was awesome. Everyone had a great time. So, I love themed parties for 40th birthdays. I think it's hilarious to have kid-themed parties for 40 year olds.

A friend of mine is turning 40. Her friends are throwing her a surprise Princess Party for her 40th. (Don't worry--she adores surprise parties.). They're telling her it's a family reunion and when she arrives, her fairy godmothers (a hair dresser and a seamstress) will whisk her away and get her into a tailor made Cinderella dress and do her hair. She will LOVE it.

Men and women are all invited to the ball. Everyone is encouraged to dress up: knights, pirate, princesses, whatever.

My dh is going to find a frog hat somewhere and go as a frog.

At first, I was thinking of heading to the local Goodwill and finding a "princess" type of dress. But...I'm me.

I'm the person who tends to do the unexpected thing (like throw myself a laser tag party when I turned 40.).

I can't just show up as another princess.

So, I was going to go as Xena, Warrior Princess, but the costumes are $70 and I didn't want to put out that much money. I really, really, really wanted to go as Xena, but $70 is too much for a couple of hours.

So, then I thought of going as Princess Leia. I found online how you can turn a sheet into her white dress costume and I can put buns in my hair. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going with.

But I thought I'd run it by you guys. Is there any other obscure princess I haven't thought of? Part of me thinks it would be fun to go as a Disney type princess with a tiara, but the quirky part of me (which is somewhat of a defining characteristic) just loves the idea of going as a different kind of princess.

What other princesses am I missing? Or does anyone know of a way to get a Xena costume for $30 or less? I can't sew At All.

ETA: And my friends won't care in the slightest if I'm not in a traditional princess costume. It won't spoil the fun at all. They know that people will be coming in all sorts of get-ups. I suspect there will be a number of frog-princes.

Edited by Garga_
  • Like 1

To bad you aren't going as one of the fairies... It would be your chance to wear wings! They have them at Dollar Tree. :D

I think the Princess Leia thing sounds great! It's very recognizable. Here's an Instructable for Xena but I don't how widespread knowledge of that is. http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Xena-Warrior-Princess-Costume/

Oh, I know!! You could be the princess that goes with the frog... Tiana. Any blue dress and a dollar tree tiara and you'd have it.

Look up homemade Xena outfits! People do cool stuff with cheap stuff. I don't remember what it was at the time but once I was buying something on Amazon and a reviewer left a pic of how she'd turned it into a Xena costume.

Warrior princess is such a great idea for a princess party!!

Go to Google and put in "xena warrior princess costume cheap," hit the shopping tab, then sort on price low to high and see if there's anything that might be workable.

This list of forgotten Disney "princesses" might be helpful. http://screencrush.com/forgotten-disney-princesses/

Megara's costume from Hercules would be easy to do if you did a real chiton. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/144818944239954282/

A link for ideas and tutorials http://cosplaying-on-a-budget.tumblr.com/post/70664208831/this-costume-is-part-of-big-family-cosplay

Pocohantas?

Kida from Atlantis looks pretty simple--blue bandeau bikini top and a blue sarong.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

Hmmm... I think it would be cool to do one of the Disney villains if you want to be different:

Maleficent 

Ursula

Ugly step-sister (that could get funny fast)

Or any of the "extras":

one of the seven dwarves

one of the mouse helpers from Cinderella

Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast

It would be fun to be a couples costume of Gaston and Belle

You've already thought of Leia, so I'm sure you've thought of Padmé as well.  BTW, I made my dd a killer Leia costume using a white tablecloth and a belt made of shiny duct tape, plus a gun made of a papertowel tube and a piece of cardboard wrapped around and shaped into a handle.  She looked AWESOME!  

What if you modified one of the prince costumes and made it your own.

Or go as Prince!!!!???

Going as Prince is hilarious. I need to look into that for myself or for DH.

Hmmm... I think it would be cool to do one of the Disney villains if you want to be different:

Maleficent 

Ursula

Ugly step-sister (that could get funny fast)

Or any of the "extras":

one of the seven dwarves

one of the mouse helpers from Cinderella

Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast

It would be fun to be a couples costume of Gaston and Belle

You've already thought of Leia, so I'm sure you've thought of Padmé as well.  BTW, I made my dd a killer Leia costume using a white tablecloth and a belt made of shiny duct tape, plus a gun made of a papertowel tube and a piece of cardboard wrapped around and shaped into a handle.  She looked AWESOME!

I was considering going as an evil fairy godmother. The ugly step-sister is an awesome idea!

There is a lot to consider and everyone has had great ideas on this thread. Honestly, when I first got the invite I felt half-hearted about it. I mean, it would be fun to dress up, but...I dunno. And then when it hit me that I could be *any* kind of princess I wanted to be, I started getting excited about the idea. I like the idea of being an extra (dwarf, etc). It opens the door even wider.