Menu

Wasp in my trousers

Laura Corin

My work jeans were hanging up on the back of the door and I started to pull them on.  I felt something sharp, like a forgotten tag, scooped it out and found a wasp in my hand. I managed to flick it to the floor and kill it, and I don't think it had fully stung me.  I went and found Husband, just in case I had a reaction, but apart from feeling a bit shaky and having a sore hip I'm fine.  Glad it was just the hip though....

• Like 4

I would put on a baking soda poultice. 

The baking soda takes the sting out, if it is still stinging a bit.  

I'm not an "alternative med" person, but I've used it for bee/wasp stings, fire ant stings, and jellyfish stings.  It really gives super-quick relief.  You just mix up a bit of baking soda and some water into a paste and slather it on the sting.  

(Not trying to pressure you into using it Laura, just adding to Jean's post so other readers can file it away in their "just in case" mama toolbox.)

Obviously, if allergies are involved, that's something else altogether for which baking soda is NOT a solution, but for removing the initial pain from the sting, baking soda is a good, cheap, quick solution.

• Like 8

The baking soda takes the sting out, if it is still stinging a bit.

I'm not an "alternative med" person, but I've used it for bee/wasp stings, fire ant stings, and jellyfish stings. It really gives super-quick relief. You just mix up a bit of baking soda and some water into a paste and slather it on the sting.

(Not trying to pressure you into using it Laura, just adding to Jean's post so other readers can file it away in their "just in case" mama toolbox.)

Obviously, if allergies are involved, that's something else altogether for which baking soda is NOT a solution, but for removing the initial pain from the sting, baking soda is a good, cheap, quick solution.

:iagree:

Another way to take the sting out and keep swelling down is to apply apple cider vinegar to the spot. It really works, and it works amazingly FAST! (I know this from an unfortunate personal experience when I lost a battle with some yellow-jackets several years ago.) Vinegar also works for mosquito bites. :)

I'm not telling you to try it, Laura -- like Jean and justaque, I just wanted to share what worked for me in case anyone else wants to file it away in their brain for future use. I'm glad you're okay -- that must have been so creepy!!!!

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

Yikes!

When I was very young my big sister got stung by a wasp that had crawled into her jeans while they hung on the laundry line outside.

It made such an impression that decades later as I take in my laundry I still give every piece of clothing a good shake in case of wasps!

• Like 2

I think wasps venom is alkali so try vinegar, while bees are acidic so baking soda... but I always found that baking soda helps the best even if it's wasp venom.  

As for wasps in clothes.... as a kid I had to bring the wash in from the line and no matter how much I hit the hanging clothes with an old golf club there was often a wasp or two who refused to vacate the clothes until someone tried to fold them or put them on.

• Like 1

I would put on a baking soda poultice.

This reminds me of when I was a kid, we would slap a glob of mud on it. As the mud dried, the stinger would be pulled out. Didn't help with the pain, though, after the mud stopped feeling cool!

Sorry about that awful surprise, Laura.

• Like 2

Yikes! When I was hanging clothes on the line, a grasshopper started crawling inside my jeans, which I scrambled to remove without any regard to who may have been driving by.

I've also used the baking soda mixture on a wasp sting before. Hope it doesn't swell too much. I was always more bothered by the intense itching a few days after than the initial sting.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

My mom told me a story years ago about my grandfather having a wasp in his trousers that got in there somehow in the middle of a busy food court. It proceeded to sting him in all the wrong places. His response was to violently smack himself in order to kill the wasp! 😨😂 I can seriously only imagine what the onlookers thought of him.

• Like 3

Wow! That's a nasty surprise! I wondered momentarily if that was an idiom, like "a bee in one's bonnet"; to mean something you're bothered about. "Well, I have a real wasp in my trousers over Betty taking an hour and a half lunch break every day when I'm hustling back to my desk in 45 minutes!"

• Like 6