Menu

Wedding invitation wording

Hyacinth

I would think that a civil ceremony has already happened and now the pretty ceremony is going to happen.

(One of my husband's coworkers got married on very very short notice, like 24 hours or something, to qualify for health insurance because the the spouse-to-be suddenly needed it NOW. They had a pretty ceremony with the dress and the tuxedos a few months later.)

• Like 1

I'd be unsure.  Could be a wedding, a wedding that happened recently, or something like a renewal of vows.  I guess it would only make a difference if there were some practical issues - like am I supposed to bring a gift.

I might try and find out so I'd know what I was supposed to do.

• Like 1

It is hard to know for sure. Marriage celebration is what my niece called her celtic handfasting. It was done by a registered officiant so know civil ceremony was required. She didn't use the word "wedding" because she was afraid people would expect the traditional church wedding.

At any rate, I'd dress up and go prepared to just "go with the flow".

I would think that means the reception, although I wouldn't be 100% certain.  I read it as "our marriage has already happened [by that point], and now we want to celebrate with you."  Wouldn't matter to me if it was friends or family -- I'd go to whatever it meant. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

It won't matter to me, I'll happily go and assume it is a reception. It won't affect how I dress or the gift anyway.

For my friends, it would mean the civil ceremony is already done or that the church wedding portion is family only due to the church size or other reasons. A long time neighbor was married in a small church and family already filled most of the pews. I was there as the free babysitter for her ring boy as he is used to me as the emergency babysitter.

I would generally assume that it was a wedding and that they just got overenthusiastic about creative wording, but it could be any of the other possibilities people have mentioned too. If you're uncertain for some reason that actually matters, see if someone in the circle of mutual acquaintances can discreetly clue you in.

It would be confusing to me.  I've been to  a couple of events where it wasn't an invitation to the wedding ceremony because it was an LDS temple wedding (I'm not LDS and therefore, cannot enter their temple) or because it was a courthouse signing ceremony for just the bride and groom. I have a daughter planning an out of state elopement and a reception in town later for everyone.

The possibilities are endless these days, so being as precise as possible is the best route.  Some people get crazy about all sorts of wedding related stuff and they can't wait to be offended and hurt by something. Confusion and misunderstanding just throw fuel on the fire.

• Like 2

Turns out it's a reception. The wedding will be a smaller event a few weeks earlier. And the confusion is apparently widespread as many were asking.

Now the mom is concerned that some people will be expecting a ceremony and will feel bamboozled when they find out that they aren't going to be witnessing the actual vows.

I'm with Homeschool Mom in AZ. Clarity is key :)

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 2

Turns out it's a reception. The wedding will be a smaller event a few weeks earlier. And the confusion is apparently widespread as many were asking.

Now the mom is concerned that some people will be expecting a ceremony and will feel bamboozled when they find out that they aren't going to be witnessing the actual vows.

If it were my child and I had any influence on the wording of the invitation, I would have sent a wedding announcement with an invitation to a reception

Something more formal and Miss Mannerly but like this:

Mr. And Mrs. Rebel Yell are pleased to announce the marriage of Daughter to Son in Law at Town Hall, Last Month.

Please join us for a reception to celebrate their marriage.

Date/time/etc.

• Like 5

I wouldn't feel bamboozled but I think I might feel a little disoriented by not knowing what to expect. It seems like it might be a way to avoid coming out and plainly stating that people won't be attending the actual wedding, which is a bad idea because they're going to find out anyway.

I'm curious, is the earlier "smaller event" in the same town?

I'm not sure bamboozled is the right term, but this is the kind of thing I don't really understand. I personally would wonder why I wasn't invited to the actual wedding. Some may wonder why they are considered "B" list guests. Not saying that's the "right" way to feel, just that some may take it that way. Edited by Seasider

I'll be at an LDS reception at the end of the month.  Here's what the invitations says, "The honor of your presence is requested at a reception held in their honor..."  See.  Crystal clear.

No, I'm never offended that I'm not invited to everything. I'm happy to be invited to whatever people invite me to. No entitlement mindset here. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be offended at all. The wording would have led me to believe something along those lines. The times I've heard of something like that it's been because of a destination wedding or an opposite coast wedding.

But, good grief. This is why things should just be made clear. "The couple is making their vows in a very small, private ceremony on ___. They'd like to celebrate with as many friends as possible at ___ on ____, etc. etc. We hope you can come, etc. etc." 

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't be offended by not being invited to the ceremony, I would just be put off if I thought they were trying to be cagey about it.

I agree with you.  Though maybe they weren't trying to be cagey but just thought it would be fun to be different, and didn't get it that it would be confusing to guests.

Do people really get offended at not seeing the actual wedding ceremony?   I think unless it was a close family member (like one of my own kids); I wouldn't care about seeing the ceremony.   I'm happy to be included in the celebration, but seeing them make their vows doesn't matter a bit to me.  Invite me to the party, though!  

I remember a thread a while ago where someone wasn't invite to the actual ceremony (but was to the reception) and was upset, and it seems like a lot of people agreed that it was offensive.  Maybe offensive isn't the right word. But, unhappy to be invited to only part. 

Once I was also invited to the ceremony but not the reception; that was pretty disappointing, though I didn't find it offensive. 

My brother and sister in law secretly eloped. When we found out about it after the fact and wanted to throw them a reception, we worded it "To celebrate the recent marriage of X and Y we request the honor of your presence at a casual reception"

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad I saw this. Celebration of the Marriage of blahblah to blahblah around here, IME, means wedding.

Marriage in our church is a sacrament, which is "celebrated."

It didn't even occur to me that it could mean something else!

lol--the more you know... :-)