Menu

I've got the Men's Dress Shirt Blues (because they *only* seem to come in blue!) Help!

Suzanne in ABQ

I need to buy my husband dress shirts for work -- button-front, can be semi-casual, like oxford.  He doesn't wear a tie.  Must be no-iron fabric.  Can have subtle plaid or stripe.  Needs to fit well, so must come in measurement sizes (15 1/2 X 34 to be exact), not S/M/L.

All I can find are solid blue, striped blue, plaid blue, and sherbet colors (mostly seersucker).  

He would like brown, or gray, or a soft sage green.  (No pink, or lime green, or yellow, please)  He doesn't want to look like an Easter egg, and he's tired of blue.

Lands' End?  No

LL Bean?  Nope

They only have blue, pink, yellow, and lime green.

I hate going to the mall and department stores, but I will if I have to.

Any ideas?

Have you tried Brooks Brothers? Their website filters seem really helpful - I think you want the Non-Iron Supima Cotton (the regular non-iron seems to only be available in white). There seems to be some gray. Sage and brown may be a tall order. 

We are also non-iron-ers here, and I've found Brooks Brothers shirts always look sharp and they hold up well.

• Like 1

Brooks Brothers no-iron are DH's favorites. If you have a nearby store, go and make friends with a salesman. Ask when the shirts go on sale next. They will call you just before the sale starts and pull things for you. 

Costco has some no-iron shirts that are decent.

Also Eddie Bauer, and they have lots of greens and browns. https://www.eddiebauer.com/view/men/shirts/features-wrinkle-free/

• Like 1

We don't have Brooks Brothers, but I will check them out online.

Eddie Bauer seems a bit safari-ish in my mind, but I haven't looked.  Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Van Hausen are nice.  The ones he's had before were beautiful, but didn't seem to last very long.  Maybe we're just hard on shirts.

I've bought them from Costco, but the sizing was way wrong, and I have since let my membership go.  Thanks for the idea, though.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

He would like brown, or gray, or a soft sage green.  (No pink, or lime green, or yellow, please)  He doesn't want to look like an Easter egg, and he's tired of blue.

Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory nearby? They have the colors that you are looking for and good brands as well.

• Like 1

We were in NYC last summer, and it seemed like every professional man that we saw while walking around or riding the double decker bus around town was wearing a blue dress shirt. Not joking.  Every single one. I wonder if it was a Friday? Casual friday? Or does no one wear white or grey?  

I'm no help on buying shirts, but your post (and the recent driving in NYC post) made me think of that.

Van Heusen usually has them. I think Kohls and Pennys have them online so if you do not need it right away, you can order while eating chocolate and sipping iced tea!

VH is our brand of choice too.

I buy dress shirts at Goodwill. This requires trying them on, of course. I don't like blue either. The last time I went I think I found one in a sort of sage green, one in a light drab green. 

My suggestion to you is to tell your DH to go buy his own shirts. That way he can't blame you if they aren't satisfactory to him.

Years ago I tried to buy clothes for my DH. His main issue was pants. I got tired of it. After a brief period where he was literally down to wearing sweat pants (good thing he was a student!) he discovered that he could buy pants online and return what didn't fit, so that's what he does now.

Dh and all three boys must have the slim fit, so they are my best supplier. Tall, thin guys. And tone of them needs a 14 34/35 and generally VH is the only one I can get them from for less than $65.

Yes! My husband has very long arms and legs and at least our oldest boy inherited them. I've been really pleased with VH in the tall cuts because, outside of custom tailoring, we have few options that don't ride up or pull on him.

And I'm allergic to any ironing that doesn't involve a sewing craft (and cut corners even then!) so for wrinkle free is the only way to go. We toss them when he wears holes in the elbows or cuffs but that usually takes awhile and we still haven't found a better brand anywhere near that price point that fits properly (and doesn't have some ridiculous neck measurement better suited for a body builder!).

I swear tall, long limbed men aren't that unusual - but you wouldn't be able to tell by the selection at your average department store. Sheesh

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yes! My husband has very long arms and legs and at least our oldest boy inherited them. I've been really pleased with VH in the tall cuts because, outside of custom tailoring, we have few options that don't ride up or pull on him.

And I'm allergic to any ironing that doesn't involve a sewing craft (and cut corners even then!) so for wrinkle free is the only way to go. We toss them when he wears holes in the elbows or cuffs but that usually takes awhile and we still haven't found a better brand anywhere near that price point that fits properly (and doesn't have some ridiculous neck measurement better suited for a body builder!).

I swear tall, long limbed men aren't that unusual - but you wouldn't be able to tell by the selection at your average department store. Sheesh

My Dh is a fourth Danish, and his dad and uncles were half Danish. After our trip to Iceland, I came back convinced that "long and lanky" is the official description of Viking DNA! Any chance your hubby is Scandinavian?

I'm not familiar with those, I will have to look. My dh has a long torso and is tall. I get shirts at King Size Direct and Casual Male XL.

Van Heusen is great - the problem we have had with a lot of the big and tall specific brands is that they're just enormous, but not long enough or tailored enough. His arms are like 37 cm and many 36/37 shirts are almost a little tuggy when he types. But his torso isn't that huge, he's solid but not heavy. So he ends up with billows in some dress shirts or he is stuck buying designer stuff (ha! Cheap engineer says NO WAY).

Faith, he's 100% German in the last few generations, but whatever intermarriage may have occurred prior to the 20th century is anyone's guess. His mom, in particular, is extremely tall and his dad is no slouch either. Looooong limbs.

Van Heusen is great - the problem we have had with a lot of the big and tall specific brands is that they're just enormous, but not long enough or tailored enough. His arms are like 37 cm and many 36/37 shirts are almost a little tuggy when he types. But his torso isn't that huge, he's solid but not heavy. So he ends up with billows in some dress shirts or he is stuck buying designer stuff (ha! Cheap engineer says NO WAY).

Faith, he's 100% German in the last few generations, but whatever intermarriage may have occurred prior to the 20th century is anyone's guess. His mom, in particular, is extremely tall and his dad is no slouch either. Looooong limbs.

Ah. Tall people problems lol. We have some issues with the big and tall items as well. They aren't long enough because they don't take into consideration that he has a very long torso and the "extra long" ties are not long enough. I say can't you just shift the tie and he says no because the width of the tie is not the same everywhere and then you'd have the wrong part in the wrong place and/or the knot looks funny or the back of the tie won't stay down with the tie clip or whatever.

OP, I hope you can find something!

try here: /www.paulfredrick.com/intro/intro.aspx?pg=best_t7mpmb&sc=t7mpmb&pagetype=introbluec&MC=PAIDSRCH&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20%2424.95%20Offer&utm_term=paul%20fred. Offer is for no iron,   I've been buying shirts here for 35 years.  But I only get 100% cotton,   So I have not worn this shirt.