Menu

Swimsuits for just developing preteen girls?

rbk mama

10 yo DD is in that in between stage where she needs a thinly padded bra, but isn't developed enough to wear a women's swimsuit.  The girls' sections in stores only carry swimsuits with zero padding - she needs something more.  I ordered an XS women's tankini top that looked like it would work, but the pads are too big.  DD tried it on and laughed "I could put a deck of cards in each of these!"  LOL  She has swim shorts; we're looking for a tankini type top.  She wears a size 14 girls normally.  Any ideas?

Does she have to have a swimsuit with padding? I have a pretty average chest- not small, not huge- and my swimsuit doesn't have any padding. It has an inner liner, so two layers of fabric, but no padding. I've never seen anyone at the beach ogling my chest trying desperately to get a glimpse of the outline of a nipple through my suit. ;) 

Does she have to have a swimsuit with padding? I have a pretty average chest- not small, not huge- and my swimsuit doesn't have any padding. It has an inner liner, so two layers of fabric, but no padding. I've never seen anyone at the beach ogling my chest trying desperately to get a glimpse of the outline of a nipple through my suit. ;)

It's not really about ogling nipples but rather about irregular size and shape.  Especially if one side is developing faster than the other.

I picked up a tankini from Justice for DD. It has nicely lined cups. They had a few styles so you might want to go into a store to see the different linings.  

I despise Justice, but, I hear they do make good swim suits.

• Like 1

Do you sew? Bathing suits are actually pretty easy and so far all of our older daughters have gone through at least a season where that was the easiest option. DD12 is currently about there but she swims competitively now and we've had to work with commercial suits for meets (I am just not that talented!) so I guess she is a bit more adaptable.

• Like 1