Menu

Pantyhose memory

Night Elf

On 4/6/2017 at 9:55 AM, shawthorne44 said:

I can't believe I didn't remember this until just now.  A week ago we were at my MIL's.   TV was on in the background but no one was watching it.   Threes Company came on.   The blonde wore pantyhose with shorts.  Shorts!  The conversation turned to marveling at the clothes and how they could they have not seemed super weird at the time.  

That was pretty normal here in Florida. If you wanted to look a little dressy you just added pantyhose to your shorts outfit. 

On 4/5/2017 at 5:56 PM, poppy said:

The best ones came in those eggs . L'eggs maybe? Great packaging . Like pringles .

L'eggs were everyday pantyhose, like for work. For special occasions you paid more for silky ones like Hanes (who also made L'eggs but made higher end ones too).

On 4/5/2017 at 6:18 PM, Spy Car said:

So some pro footballers, including my hero Joe Namath of the Jets, began experimenting with wearing pantyhose to serve the same purpose,

I'm sure you remember the Joe Namath pantyhose commercial as well as I do. 

On 4/5/2017 at 6:27 PM, alisoncooks said:

My mom, who is a-very-pulled-together-lady, wears them every time she is dressed up.  Along with full jewelry and makeup.

I did not get those genes.

My mom never left the house without putting on lipstick. She was horrified that I didn't get that gene, especially since my lips are rather pale. 

On 4/5/2017 at 6:32 PM, bettyandbob said:

I am so glad they are out of style!

I used to where them year round with suits. Long hot subway rides and walking down busy sidewalks sweating. Ugh.

I'm glad too because they're too hot to wear here in Florida. 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, J-rap said:

I wore gold fishnets before nylons.  I felt so hip and grown-up!

I wore a pair of navy blue fishnets to school in 9th grade. I thought I was so grown up and fashionable! 

• Like 1

Well I had some occasions this spring that I just needed pantyhose. My legs are a mess and can’t go bare. 

I googled and found out that they are back in. So there. Google told me they have come back on the runways. So I am just ahead of my time in the small town south with my nude pantyhose.

• Like 7

I know this is a zombie thread, but I think this topic is fascinating. I wear hose in any dress that is not a sundress. I know it is considered out of fashion, but I think my legs - and really, practically all women’s legs past twenties - look much, much nicer in hose than bare. My legs have many issues, from veins to very light skintone, and a good pair of sheer hose just airbrushes over all that and greatly improves the look. 

Dh does not like pantyhose and every freakin time I wear them, he makes a remark; “Are you wearing pantyhose?!?!” Yes, I freakin am! I even said one of the more recent times, when we were attending a wedding, “YES! And, whether or not you like them, I am guaranteeing you I will wear hose every time I wear a dress for the rest of my life, so you can stop commenting on it!” It just really bugs me he thinks he gets a vote on this. 

Last summer I bought hose that have the toes open so I can wear open-toed heels while still wearing hose. I think they’re awesome.

• Like 6

I wear black pantyhose to work. I have to wear awful black flat granny shoes and they are only comfortable with socks. Which look ridiculous with a dress. So I feel better wearing black pantyhose with them.

mind you I probably still look ridiculous 

no no idea why part of the sentence underlined itself. I am using a tablet in a motel room and it seems to be ever so helpful with adding it’s own ideas to whatever I write

• Haha 3

Oh! Also, when I was in France, I noticed a lot of women, especially younger ones, wear hose, often black, with shorts and short skirts or dresses. It was a common look I saw very frequently. 

If you google images of shorts with tights, you will see what I mean. 

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't remember when pantyhose became popular or when I started wearing them, but I know I started wearing stockings with a garter belt first. It's possible that pantyhose were more expensive so I had to stick with stockings until I could afford pantyhose (or until the price of those newfangled hose came down). I think my first pantyhose were L'eggs. I wonder if they even still sell those eggs. 😄 Pantyhose were the sliced bread of women's fashion. Those and self stick menstrual pads, eliminating the need for that awful belt they used. Or safety pins. Pads kept in place with safety pins. Yeah, I'm old lol. 

Oh my gosh, where's that rolling on the floor laughing emoji? Scary flashbacks of middle school and those horrible belts... Yep, I'm old, too... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Oh! Also, when I was in France, I noticed a lot of women, especially younger ones, wear hose, often black, with shorts and short skirts or dresses. It was a common look I saw very frequently. 

When I was in high school, it was considered very stylish to wear what we called "walking shorts" with hose under them, paired with a matching blazer, a blouse and flats. Here's a good example: Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, although I think she is not wearing hose like we did. 🙂 

• Like 2

On the west side of Jerusalem,  which is the Jewish part of town, they wear black tights. There seem to be very few secular Jews here. On my side of town, which is Palestinian,  you see mostly Muslim women wearing abayas or other very conservative dress, with the occasional teen in a hajib and jeans. At Christian parties (engagement or baptisms, for example) the Christian Palestinians wear Western clothes. 

Pantyhose for church, unless it is in the middle of the summer!

• Like 1

Yes, I wore them daily with a suit for year for work. In the heat and humidity, and then when I was pregnant -- AGONY! I bought my hose online, twenty pairs at once.

I still wear them or tights to church in the winter, although some women wear pants there now. Summer though? No way. 

14 hours ago, Quill said:

I know this is a zombie thread, but I think this topic is fascinating. I wear hose in any dress that is not a sundress. I know it is considered out of fashion, but I think my legs - and really, practically all women’s legs past twenties - look much, much nicer in hose than bare. My legs have many issues, from veins to very light skintone, and a good pair of sheer hose just airbrushes over all that and greatly improves the look. 

Dh does not like pantyhose and every freakin time I wear them, he makes a remark; “Are you wearing pantyhose?!?!” Yes, I freakin am! I even said one of the more recent times, when we were attending a wedding, “YES! And, whether or not you like them, I am guaranteeing you I will wear hose every time I wear a dress for the rest of my life, so you can stop commenting on it!” It just really bugs me he thinks he gets a vote on this. 

Last summer I bought hose that have the toes open so I can wear open-toed heels while still wearing hose. I think they’re awesome.

DH and I used to have the opposite discussion.  He thinks that he can look dressy in shorts and a nice shirt.   As in dressy enough that I should be wearing pantyhose.  No no no.  I made the rule that I will only wear pantyhose if he is wearing pants.   Since those days are few and far between, I am pretty safe.  I eventually got through to him back when we were just dating when I said Me in pantyhose and Him in shorts would make me look like I was trying too hard, and pathetically so.  

It is the complete waste that I hate about them.   It is not unusual for me to ruin at least one new pair every time I wear them.   I never got into tights, but I wouldn't mind wearing those.   I'd like fish-net if they didn't have the trashy connotation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Am I the only one wondering who Guest 1, 2, & 3 are?  😏

You’re not! I wondered, too! 

19 hours ago, Quill said:

I think of tights and pantyhose differently. Tights are popular with big shirts here. Pantyhose have been out of style in my area for a long time.

• Like 1

I remember finally being able to afford nicer hose, but they still stretched our budget.  One day, DH and I were out and it had been raining.  For some unknown reason, my husband poked at my leg with the tip of an umbrella and instantly the hose got a rip in them.  I remember wailing, “Noooo!  These hose were so expensive!”  

I like the way they make my legs look, but they do love to get holes in them if you so much as glance at them the wrong way.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 7:06 AM, PrincessMommy said:

I still wear them occasionally, especially right now during the change of season.  Too warm for tights ( which I wear on most Sundays) and too cool for bear legs.  Plus, at my age, my legs don't look so great.  Pantyhose act like the foundation makeup for my legs.  

Yes!  If I wear a knee-length skirt in fall or spring, my legs just look better with a bit of cover. And, I also hate the feel of bare feet in shoes and I think those little socky things don't stay put. Bah -- who cares what's in style?  Wear what you want. 

• Like 1

Everyone wore pantyhose to church!  Then one day my cousin came to church with no pantyhose and a sleeveless top!!! LOL  And immediatly everyone else started doing it too!  It was summer and everyone was tired of being hot!

• Like 1

Pantyhouse were the bane of my existence! They were so expensive, always ran, were uncomfortable, UGH!

I used to buy the L'Eggs in those little containers. I wore "Nude, size B, Reinforced toe, Regular tummy support". Do you know how many times they would actually have that specific one? Never! 

I would stand in front of a literal jungle of pantyhose choices and they would have the right size but the color would be wrong, or some combination like that. 

I hope and plan to never have to wear pantyhose again.

• Like 1