Menu

Ladies, Do Your Hardwood Floors Look Dull and Lifeless?

Spy Car

Then have I got a product for you :D

But seriously. Now perhaps I'm late to the table (again) and everyone already knows this, but....

First the back story (because—you know me).

So I was at my neighbor's house the other day. She keeps a lovely home. And her floors were sparkling. "Did you refinish them I asked?"

"No," she said, "I've been using this great stuff." Then she fetched the nearly full bottle, which she passed on as a gift.

So today, I cleaned my hardwood floors. Ones my wife complained were looking very dull this week (which is true) and now (after applying miracle solution) I'm sitting waiting for the first coat to dry. Should be any moment.

Already looking good.

The stuff? It is called Holloway House Quick Shine. Some sort of polymer based product methinks. I believe there are other similar brands.

After laying on a coat I started wondering about how bloody expensive this miracle product must be. So I looked it up. Shock!!!

Walmart sells it for $5.47. Unbelievable.

So if you have hardwood floors (hear it works on laminates too) that are looking a little dull, this stuff is the bomb.

Bill (who enjoys giving domestic advice to the fairer sex  :001_tt2: )

Edited to add link

https://www.walmart.com/ip/19758081?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227015539637&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40343067752&wl4=pla-78303459512&wl5=9031149&wl6=&wl7=9031159&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19758081&wl13=&veh=sem

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 19

OK. It dried in the time it took to post (of course I'm long winded :p) but LOOKING GOOD!

I can see the areas I missed (huge difference) so now I'm going in for another coat. Didn't even take that much product.

I'm applying with a microfiber mop. 

I'd really been wondering if we'd need to refinish the floors as they were looking blah. Not anymore.

Bill

• Like 5

So since my last post (timestamp 1:51) I put another coat on the living room, the dining room a hallway, a den, and the boy's bedroom.

I'm not saying I do careful work, but a man job.

The overhead lights are bouncing off the floor. Looks like professionals came in (save the odd footprints :D)

I'm going to earn some hero points tonight.

Bill

• Like 7

How do you think it would work on floors that are very worn? I've read some labels of floor stuff that say not to use unless the floors are fully sealed.

This I don't know. I suspect the polymer enhances the polyurethane and that's what makes it shine.

Bill 

• Like 1

This sounds like a product we used to use in the 1970s and 1980s - Future floor polish. They don't make it anymore but we used to put it on linoleum or other floor tile and the shine was incredible. The only thing was if you got water on it, you would have milky-looking spots. The remedy? More Future applied over the spots.

• Like 2

I use it! And it is wonderful. HOWEVER: make sure You do a super-excellent job of vacuuming and mopping first. It will glue down dog hair, rug fuzz, and dirt. This is definitely a project for after kids and other moving creatures are gone for an hour. It also is best if you remove what furniture you can- for example, take the dining chairs out of the room to do under the table, don't work around them. And don't leave puddles. No reason to fear it, just sharing my experience. And it will wear off eventually.

• Like 6

I use it! And it is wonderful. HOWEVER: make sure You do a super-excellent job of vacuuming and mopping first. It will glue down dog hair, rug fuzz, and dirt. This is definitely a project for after kids and other moving creatures are gone for an hour. It also is best if you remove what furniture you can- for example, take the dining chairs out of the room to do under the table, don't work around them. And don't leave puddles. No reason to fear it, just sharing my experience. And it will wear off eventually.

Yes on all points. The floor needs to be clean first. I do think having a coat of this stuff will make keeping the floors clean much easier, as it seems to make a protective barrier against dirt. We will see.

It also feels weird if it dries on your hands.

The good news is that while it has a slightly weird smell is that I (who tends to be like a canary in a coal mine when it comes to toxic chemicals, had no issues with this stuff.

Bill (who is having a long-drink of water while admiring his work)

One warning--my flooring guy said not to use this kind of product if you ever might want to have your urethane professionally screened off and reapplied.  Because once you use this, the standard industry techniques for refreshing the surface professionally don't work anymore.  So a professional would have to sand off the top layer to put on new urethane. 

ETA:  He recommends the Bona system, too, except not the similar Bona product that has a little urethane in it. 

Also, generally, CAUTION!  Sweep first, thoroughly.  Then dust mop.  THEN Bona.  Otherwise if you have pretty new floors, you can scratch the finish.  (On older ones, it's probably scratched already; but I have some nice new hardwood in a couple of rooms and I want to keep it that way!)

Edited by Carol in Cal.

How do you think it would work on floors that are very worn? I've read some labels of floor stuff that say not to use unless the floors are fully sealed.

I was wondering that too, and the link Bill share (thanks Bill!) says this:

Not recommended for unsealed, oiled or worn wood floors. 

• Like 1

I've cleaned houses for 10 years now and used to use this product but after about a year (or sooner if you rearrange furniture), you'll notice a build-up...which is why the same people also offer a remover.

Bona is now my go-to.  The cleaner + high-gloss polish is just as good, without the build-up.

Speaking of buildup... I applied it about 3 times a tear and di not notice buildup. Removal is always a concern I have. For those noticing buildup, how often has it been applied?

It was about 2-3 times a month for a year or so with the cleaner and every other month for the polish.

ETA: forgot to mention which products.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

I'm pretty sure nothing can help my poor old Hart pine floors at this point. Sigh.

Those sorts of floors don't need product.

Iâ¤ï¸ old pine floors and almost bought a house based on that exclusively.

Plus, not all hardwoods are meant to shine. I wanted and got a more matte look myself.

• Like 3

Yep, mine are in a satin finish on purpose. High gloss shows all the spots that aren't, well, glossy 😄

Mine are also satin (on purpose). But when satin fades (like mine have after 10 years) this stuff is rejuvenating.

We just got home from lacrosse practice and when I walked in the floors looked fabulous!

I'm very stoked.

Bill

• Like 3