Menu

Found a house we love... but should we do it??? - update #83

PrincessMommy

We've decided to put an offer on the house.  In typical fashion for us, my husband and son are leaving on a father/son trip to the Caribbean TODAY.  The house is expecting  several offers.   We will put one in for less than asking because it does need work.  Not too low, but we wanted to be upfront, rather than come back after the inspection and nickle and dime.   If they don't accept it as that, I hope they will counter, rather than rejecting outright.  It is priced lower than any comps in the neighborhood for the last 6months.   They've priced it to sell.   It's been on the market for less than a week, which doesn't work in our favor.  We want to go lower, but I don't think that will work, given the market.

• Like 8

The design doesn't bother me at all. You have a bedroom and bath on the first floor which gives you what you need for aging in place (I'm assuming the hall is wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair and the bedroom door is also wide enough or could be made so). It looks like you could have a chair lift on the stairs. It has so much of what you want (even the sauna!), and sounds like it would make a great lure for grown children and grandchildren. It doesn't need that much work, so it's still within budget.

The location does trouble me. I drive in the DC area sometimes (hate, hate, hate doing that!), so that colors my thoughts. 27 minutes from church is too much for me. What is likely to happen to traffic over time? Would changing churches break my heart? That's what I'd be thinking about.

• Like 1

We've decided to put an offer on the house. In typical fashion for us, my husband and son are leaving on a father/son trip to the Caribbean TODAY. The house is expecting several offers. We will put one in for less than asking because it does need work. Not too low, but we wanted to be upfront, rather than come back after the inspection and nickle and dime. If they don't accept it as that, I hope they will counter, rather than rejecting outright. It is priced lower than any comps in the neighborhood for the last 6months. They've priced it to sell. It's been on the market for less than a week, which doesn't work in our favor. We want to go lower, but I don't think that will work, given the market.

I did a little sleuthing on zillow based on your clues :) and unless there are some undisclosed problems I think that house looks fantastic! BTW, we went to an open house in that neighborhood awhile ago and met some of the neighbors. They raved about how friendly the neighborhood is.

The commute on Sunday mornings shouldn't be too burdensome.

• Like 2

It looks like a great "family" home--in that it is large enough and has enough outside kind of space for everybody to enjoy themselves and time together without feeling too cramped.

ETA: I hope you are able to get it!

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

I did a little sleuthing on zillow based on your clues :) and unless there are some undisclosed problems I think that house looks fantastic! BTW, we went to an open house in that neighborhood awhile ago and met some of the neighbors. They raved about how friendly the neighborhood is.

The commute on Sunday mornings shouldn't be too burdensome.

If you moved close-by that would be fantastic!!!    My friend who lives in the neighborhood also raved about the neighborhood being friendly.  She said there were a couple of homeschoolers as well as some large families on her street.   It would be such a nice change from our current neighborhood.  It's like going back to jr. high school.  So unfriendly.

(shhh...it's the red house).

Edited by PrincessMommy

If you moved close-by that would be fantastic!!! My friend who lives in the neighborhood also raved about the neighborhood being friendly. She said there were a couple of homeschoolers as well as some large families on her street. It would be such a nice change from our current neighborhood. It's like going back to jr. high school. So unfriendly.

(shhh...it's the red house).

We don't have plans to move any time soon (because we love our current neighborhood and it is convenient for DH's work and all the kids' activities. A bonus is that we have a pretty low mortgage considering the area), but we keep our eyes on that neighborhood because 1. How awesome would it be to be able to walk to Church?! and 2. This house is not set-up for the possibility that a parent might need to live with us in the future or for "aging in place" - we have a sunken family room, sunken living room, and no bedroom or full bath on the main floor.

• Like 2

Just talked with my realtor.  We got the house at asking price!!   Whoot...

Now there's a crazy amount of work to get this house ready.   We downsized when we moved 5yrs ago... and it doesn't look like it at all. :scared:

This was the fastest house buying that I have ever (virtually) witnessed. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 4

Fantastic news!

And I think it's great that the house needs less work than the other type of houses you were originally thinking of getting into - seems like it'll be much less stressful to make the move when Little needs addressed. Redoing floors is a fast project to have tackled, way nicer than having to redo kitchens and such!

What a fantastic backyard - is the play equipment remaining? Such fun. You could always host the next local meetup, lol.

;)

• Like 2

This was the fastest house buying that I have ever (virtually) witnessed. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Believe me, I would have much rather sat on it for a week or two and looked at more houses and pondered a little longer!!.. but the market is crazy and my dh was leaving the country early Monday morning through Sunday night. 

My realtor had warned me a few weeks ago that if we found a house we really liked that we would need to go quickly.  She said the market is moving fast because people are chomping at the bit to move and there's not a lot for sale. 

She said we really have an extra 7-10 days because of the home inspection.   It's an older house, so who knows what kind of surprises are in store for us?

• Like 1

Fantastic news!

And I think it's great that the house needs less work than the other type of houses you were originally thinking of getting into - seems like it'll be much less stressful to make the move when Little needs addressed. Redoing floors is a fast project to have tackled, way nicer than having to redo kitchens and such!

What a fantastic backyard - is the play equipment remaining? Such fun. You could always host the next local meetup, lol.

;)

Thanks.  That would be crazy fun!!   I'm actually going to be a little closer to the meet-up spot at the new place.

• Like 1

What did the inspection reveal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we haven't had it yet.  There was some issues with getting the contract finalized due to a switch to a later closing date and the fact that two signees were traveling.  Anyway, it's happening later this week.

• Like 1

We had the home inspection. I don't want to go into too much detail because this is a public forum.  But, it did reveal several concerning problems.   Of course, it's an older house, so there's that.  But, several of them point to a consistent lack of upkeep on the house, if that makes sense.

Anyway, we've asked the owners to have some of these fixed by a professional. Still waiting to see if they will accept this or counter.  It's holy week and there's so much going on.  I vacillate between wondering if should have asked for a lower price to getting excited about some potential projects for the house.  It is more of a fixer-upper than I wish..  But, It has so much potential.  The old gal just needs some TLC to bring her up to all her beauty.  

We decided to void the contract.   There was some going back and forth between us and the owners last night and then this morning.  I think they didn't believe our inspector or something.  But we had decided late last night to void it because we just knew it wasn't going to work out.  

It is the right decision.  The house is over-priced for its condition.  Some of the issues I do not want to take on at the current price and the owner are unable to come down any further.  There was serious water issues coupled with black mold.   I'm very thankful that the day before our inspection it rained hard all day.  The house had 3 sub-pumps and french drains, but there was still a problem.  

I went with our realtor today to look at 2 houses.  Both were cheaper and in very good condition, but they were meh.  The yards were not what we're looking for either.  But, it was good to see the comparison.

I suspect more will come on the market in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for talking me through this.  It was really helpful to write it out and get some feedback.  It is a is a cool house.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 9

Just talked with my realtor. We got the house at asking price!! Whoot...

Now there's a crazy amount of work to get this house ready. We downsized when we moved 5yrs ago... and it doesn't look like it at all. :scared:

WOOHOOOOO! That's awesome and the house looks great. Really excited for you.

ETA - darn, just read the other update. Bummer but if it was a money pit then saying no was very wise.

Edited by Arctic Mama