Menu

Is it enjoyable for anyone to come here anymore?

I can not get over this Us vs. Them mentality so many have! I think it definately goes deeper then our different political views too. This used to be an enjoyable place to come. I wonder if it ever will be again.

Edited by Momto4kids
enjOyable

Sometimes not so much. But I have always been a fringe character. Never fit into a group of any kind. I am too much of an oddball with contradictions all over the place. But a lot of it has to do with my mood lately and the political aura. I don't like politics or confrontations or debating of any kind. I like other stuff.

Yes, for me it is very enjoyable to come here. I very rarely post in the obviously heated threads, especially when the topics are religion and politics (just another religion, if you ask me). Not because I don't enjoy a good sinus-clearing debate (Lord knows *that's* not true); but, rather because I use this forum more for good conversation. I have very little outlet for adult interaction and conversation in real life (and dealing with some of my supposedly adult patients definitely does NOT count), so I treat this space as a friendly gathering.

I also very proudly don't fit into any one ideological/political group. I find that much too limiting intellectually. I'd rather judge an idea (or whatever) on its own merits without having to toe some party line. Therefore, I don't get overwrought when, for instance, someone posts in a decidedly partisan manner (about either candidate).

I'm quite the eccentric in real life as well...:)

Yep.

I don't look at posts involving politics or religion. Of the rest of the posts I look at the ones that will contribute positively to my life. I try very hard not to let negative posts enter my mind. There are just too many things I must deal with that are hard for me to knowingly add more stress to my life.

Jenne in AZ

(dealing with a job relocation, moving, MIL death, dd's birthday on Monday and a ton of other stuff)

Yes, for me it is very enjoyable to come here. I very rarely post in the obviously heated threads, especially when the topics are religion and politics (just another religion, if you ask me). Not because I don't enjoy a good sinus-clearing debate (Lord knows *that's* not true); but, rather because I use this forum more for good conversation.

I feel the same way. I admit to seeing both sides of many of these debates, so I try to stay out of them (though sometimes I can't). However, no matter how frustrated I get, my enjoyment of this site and the degree to which I value the advice and discussion here still outweigh that.

I can not get over this Us vs. Them mentality so many have! I think it definately goes deeper then our different political views too. This used to be an enjoyable place to come. I wonder if it ever will be again.

I find it more enjoyable knowing there are others who share similar ideas to me. The social groups, in particular, make it easier for like-minded people to find each other.

Wow, your post completely shocked me. I wouldn't imagine it's any better or worse here than it's ever been. There all always people who enjoy debating or who can't read an opinion without firing off an emotional response. I've only visited a few boards over the many years of being on the net, but this is one of the best ones I've seen.

Keep in mind, politics and religion are always topics that have a high potential of being emotional and heated. This election will be over soon and we can move on. (well, here on the board anyway)

I'm not one to ever get involved with arguments or conflicts if emotion and hurt feelings are involved. I just don't really read or participate. I like to chat, hang out and socialize. :)

This really is an awesome board and many people have been here for many years.

Wow, your post completely shocked me. I wouldn't imagine it's any better or worse here than it's ever been.

Eh, someone else will start another thread almost verbatim to this within about 3-5 months. I remember at least one other thread like this since I joined last spring.

It's pretty typical, it seems, on forums. Every few months people start lamenting that things just aren't like they used to be.

I like hearing all POV and I learn a lot this way. Also the us-es and thems are not always in the same groups. I may agree with one person on one issue and totally disagree with them on another. In all the time I have been here (six years) I have never yet found a single poster that I disagreed with on all issues. Nor do I think there is a person that I have agreed with on all issues. I really like the diversity I find here. This years has been the first time that politics have been allowed and I have to admit I am a bit surprised at how heated things have become. Religious discussions do sometimes get a bit heated but for the most part are usually civil. Somethings (Halloween & Christmas) come and go with the seasons and you just learn to ignore them if you have been around awhile.

Eh, someone else will start another thread almost verbatim to this within about 3-5 months. I remember at least one other thread like this since I joined last spring.

It's pretty typical, it seems, on forums. Every few months people start lamenting that things just aren't like they used to be.

I have been off and on these boards for about 5 years. I must not have been here around the last election. There definately is a Us vs. Them mentality lately. I was just observing that IMO it isn't as enjoyable lately as it usually is. I am hoping once the election is over we can return to "normal". :D

Yes, for me it is very enjoyable to come here. I very rarely post in the obviously heated threads, especially when the topics are religion and politics (just another religion, if you ask me). Not because I don't enjoy a good sinus-clearing debate (Lord knows *that's* not true); but, rather because I use this forum more for good conversation. I have very little outlet for adult interaction and conversation in real life (and dealing with some of my supposedly adult patients definitely does NOT count), so I treat this space as a friendly gathering.

I also very proudly don't fit into any one ideological/political group. I find that much too limiting intellectually. I'd rather judge an idea (or whatever) on its own merits without having to toe some party line. Therefore, I don't get overwrought when, for instance, someone posts in a decidedly partisan manner (about either candidate).

I'm quite the eccentric in real life as well...:)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I was just thinking today how I always do feel good after coming here. Yes, it can get heated, but I don't get into that either. I might read some of it, but I have enough heated in "real" life.;)

You got that right. And in the meantime, the complaints are hurtful. Knock it off and use the boards.

SWB