Menu

Funny conversational quirk -- southern maybe?

Janie Grace

I've encountered this twice in the past month and I am wondering if anyone else has encountered it. It might be southern.

Me: I hope your husband feels better soon.

Lady: Oh, he will.

Me: I hope you have a great visit with your family!

Different lady: Oh, we will. 

It's not said in a cheery, light-hearted way... it's very serious, like they thought I was doubtful that my well wishes would come to pass and they need to reassure me. Very firm and no-nonsense.

Have you ever heard this? Do you say this in a serious way? Both ladies were southern, so maybe it's a southern thing?

I never heard that sort of thing in Florida, Texas, or Oklahoma.  I don't recall hearing that sort of thing in other places in the South where I've traveled.

I do remember hearing that sort of thing at a church in the Midwest that was very much in the "name it and claim it" and "never speak anything negative or doubtful or you're putting a curse on yourself."  Is it possible these people are part of that sort of church?  The kind where you can't be honest or you're opening yourself up to demons or something?

I'm not southern but I was raised mostly in Atlanta by parents born and raised in Pennsylvania.  I say that, but I know my parents never did, and neither do my sisters who were already teens when we moved to Atlanta. 

I'm not sure I say is with the same tone you mention, though. Mine is more of a lighthearted reassurance.  So if I'm going to the beach and someone says they hope we have a good time I'll respond with, "Oh, we will."  But when dh was recovering from heart surgery and someone said they hoped he recovered quickly, I said, "thanks."

• Like 2

Hmmmm. Both were women at church. I don't know if they are from name it/claim it backgrounds (our church is not like that) but they could be.

Their personalities are pretty different. One is spunky but reserved in public; the other is very shy and somewhat critical. I don't know either of them well, though, so I'm mostly spitballing. What kind of personality would you expect to say it, Seasider?

I am southern and hear this kind of response often, though I wasn't aware it would be considered a conversational quirk...so maybe you're right about it being southern.

I mean no disrespect to those who say it -- it just took me by surprise, so it felt "quirky"! (Not the actual words -- I say "I will!" plenty when someone says "have a good time" or whatever -- it is the seriousness/sobriety/firmness that took me off guard.)

• Like 2

I do remember hearing that sort of thing at a church in the Midwest that was very much in the "name it and claim it" and "never speak anything negative or doubtful or you're putting a curse on yourself."  Is it possible these people are part of that sort of church?  The kind where you can't be honest or you're opening yourself up to demons or something?

I wondered if they might be "Word of Faith" type people, too. From wiki: "The Word of Faith movement has many distinctive teachings including physical, emotional, financial, relational, and spiritual healing or prosperity for any who has the right belief-filled confession. The movement emphasizes choosing to speak the promises and provisions that the speaker wants..."

Or maybe they are just especially firm ladies.  :) It's probably best not to speculate on their beliefs based on this alone. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Hmm...I am pretty sure I do this. I live in the south now but I wouldn't consider myself a southern lady by any stretch and I am Catholic.

I can tend toward socially awkward for sure. I think this has probably come out to diffuse what I felt like was complaining. "Woe is me. Dh is sick and wearing me out, yardda yadda." When someone wishes him recovery I feel bad for whining and turn more positive "oh he will" and inside I tell myself to quit complaining.

I will also admit I feel like I have,since childhood, had a very negative disposition. I work very hard to combat this and not transmit it to others. I think I might make those responses in an effort to be positive, upbeat, no worries, etc.

So that is the insight I have. Not a southern, religious, or intentional thing. I will analyze the next time I catch myself doing it!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

Hmm...I am pretty sure I do this. I live in the south now but I wouldn't consider myself a southern lady by any stretch and I am Catholic.

I can tend toward socially awkward for sure. I think this has probably come out to diffuse what I felt like was complaining. "Woe is me. Dh is sick and wearing me out, yardda yadda." When someone wishes him recovery I feel bad for whining and turn more positive "oh he will" and inside I tell myself to quit complaining.

I will also admit I feel like I have,since childhood, had a very negative disposition. I work very hard to combat this and not transmit it to others. I think I might make those responses in an effort to be positive, upbeat, no worries, etc.

So that is the insight I have. Not a southern, religious, or intentional thing. I will analyze the next time I catch myself doing it!

Hmmmm.  You might be my MIL.  :)

She does this, and the above is exactly how I would have described the way I imagine her inward conversation goes.  

The interesting thing to me is that I would never in a thousand years have called her Southern.  I have a truly Southern family, and I don't recognize DH's family culture as even slightly "Southern."  They are borderline geographically, apparently, though, and she does indeed consider herself Southern.  (It's an odd thing, they are in a state north of the mason dixon line, but in a part of it that dips south.)

In the vacation thing, I think I would have said we will.  About travel, if someone wishes me a good trip, I say I will.  Of course, I don't really know if I will but I have enjoyed all my vacations so far though some more than others.  If my dh had a cold, I may also respond he will get better.  I don;t think I would respond the same if he had pneumonia since people do die of that.  People don't die from plain colds.   I do live in the South, was born South of the Mason Dixon line and grew up in VA.  I am not a Name It/Claim It person. Also, I don't know that I would answer it so seriously but maybe more laughingly.  Though overall I do tend to be a more serious person.

• Like 1

I wondered if they might be "Word of Faith" type people, too. From wiki: "The Word of Faith movement has many distinctive teachings including physical, emotional, financial, relational, and spiritual healing or prosperity for any who has the right belief-filled confession. The movement emphasizes choosing to speak the promises and provisions that the speaker wants..."

Or maybe they are just especially firm ladies.  :) It's probably best not to speculate on their beliefs based on this alone. 

Thank you!  I couldn't remember "word of faith."

• Like 1