Menu

Catholics--do you fast and abstain when you don't technically have to?

AnnE-girl

I'm sitting under my nursing, mostly sleeping 15-month-old, and my stomach is growling. I've done pretty well fasting today, even though I don't technically have to as a nursing mom. I had half of a toaster waffle and coffee for breakfast and an avocado filled with tuna salad for lunch. And I'm debating a snack. Dinner won't be until 7:00. I'm torn between feeling like I should be able to stick it out and not worrying so much since I'm technically exempt.

Anyone else feel similarly?

I didn't fast when I was nursing. I also believe myself to be hypoglycemic. I've actually been reading about the rules today to see what is a good fit for me. I might even forgo the level of fasting on Good Friday and substitute it/supplement with another thing like no internet or tv that day. I don't do well when I don't eat throughout the day.

I urge you to just eat normally today. You can observe Lent in another capacity. It might affect your milk.

• Like 3

I did end up having a bowl of cereal. I definitely don't fast while pregnant or nursing a young baby. My little one is eating lots of table food now, so my milk isn't quite as important for him as it was during Lent last year. So that's my struggle of how strictly I should adhere to the fast.

We do abstain from meat as a whole family on Ash Wednesday and Friday's even though my kids are below the age requirement for that too. It seems silly to think that they can't skip meat for seven days throughout a six week period.

• Like 1

I'm not Catholic, but DH was raised Catholic, and my in laws are.  

Would you, or anyone really, care to explain the fasting rules to me?  

I have no idea how it works, and would like to know, just for the sake of knowing.  :)

I kind of gave myself a pass last Lent. Dd wasn't a young baby, but I figured our bodies still need fuel to nurse. It's between you and God. He'll know your intentions.

I packed ds non-meat today and plan to serve a non-meat dinner, but if push comes to shove I will let the kids eat something else (not sure if they'll eat what is planned). When I worked in a daycare run by a Catholic woman the kids got fish sticks every Friday. I kind of laughed to myself at that as they were so young and not all Catholic. But hey, whatever works.

I have no idea how it works, and would like to know, just for the sake of knowing.   :)

Well, let's just say I was in my 20s before someone informed me of the "right" way to fast :laugh: Growing up my parents weren't that strict. I mean, we couldn't eat meat and we were supposed to limit our food, but they didn't give me the speech about this small meal or snack plus that small one should not equal exceed a full meal. What I read earlier today was basically one full meal and then two lesser things that together don't equal your one full meal? I'm scrupulous. This drives me nuts. What's a meal?! I really hate the way rules are worded.

http://www.catholic.org/lent/abfast.php

*the college student told me equal I think. This link says exceed.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

I have no idea how it works, and would like to know, just for the sake of knowing. :)

On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, Catholics 18-59, except invalids, pregnant and nursing mothers, are called to fast. One modest meal, and one to two smaller meals that less than a full meal combined, are allowed. Between meals only liquids are allowed. On Ash Wednesday and all Friday's in Lent, all Catholics above the age of 14 are to abstain from eating meat.

• Like 1

Well, let's just say I was in my 20s before someone informed me of the "right" way to fast :laugh: Growing up my parents weren't that strict. I mean, we couldn't eat meat and we were supposed to limit our food, but they didn't give me the speech about this small meal or snack plus that small one should not equal a full meal. What I read earlier today was basically one full meal and then two lesser things that together don't equal your one full meal? I'm scrupulous. This drives me nuts. What's a meal?! I really hate the way rules are worded.

I really think the rules are meant to be interpreted as our consciences allow. Which is still plenty aggravating for those of us who want some clear direction.

• Like 1

On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, Catholics 18-59, except invalids, pregnant and nursing mothers, are called to fast. One modest meal, and one to two smaller meals that less than a full meal combined, are allowed. Between meals only liquids are allowed. On Ash Wednesday and all Friday's in Lent, all Catholics above the age of 14 are to abstain from eating meat.

Does this include diabetics, hypoglycemic sufferers, and those who must take meds at regular intervals with food?

Does this include diabetics, hypoglycemic sufferers, and those who must take meds at regular intervals with food?

I couldn't find a hard and fast rule about hypoglycemia which is why I say I might supplement on Good Friday with another thing. I haven't taken an official test, but I appear to be and my mother is. Growing up as far as I know my mom fasted but not sure how close together her meals were, etc. Anyway, yes, there are several exceptions. http://www.catholic.org/lent/abfast.php

I remember one time we went to an event where all they had was meat pizza and my parents told us to just eat it because of the circumstances (or I guess we could pick it off).

• Like 1

I'm sitting under my nursing, mostly sleeping 15-month-old, and my stomach is growling. I've done pretty well fasting today, even though I don't technically have to as a nursing mom. I had half of a toaster waffle and coffee for breakfast and an avocado filled with tuna salad for lunch. And I'm debating a snack. Dinner won't be until 7:00. I'm torn between feeling like I should be able to stick it out and not worrying so much since I'm technically exempt.

Anyone else feel similarly?

When I was pregnant or nursing I would abstain from meat but not do a strict fast.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

My baby is 12 months (today!) And is eating about 30% solids. I opted to fast. Amid my stair-step children, I've been exempt for the past 8 years. I felt I was capable this year, so I decided to.

That said, if I had ever felt woosy or terribly drained, I definitely would have eaten. As it is, I'm doing fine. :)

Edited by carriede

When I was pregnant and nursing I did not fast from food but did fast from another activity. Most times it was television. On days of fasting I would not watch television in order to fulfill the meanibg behind fasting but within safe parameters for myself and my child.

I am not pregnant or nursing and it takes everything I have to maintain the fast. If there was a loophole I'd be all over it.

When I was pg or nursing I tried to be mindful about what I ate. I wouldn't have indulged in sweets or rich foods. I would have eaten as needed but focused on very basic, plain foods. (Not homemade Mac and cheese or fried chicken or cupcakes , etc)

I'm constantly ravenous while nursing, so I haven't fasted for the past 8 years (nursing and/or pregnant the whole time). We did abstain from meat and I tried to limit my snacks to only what was necessary and only plain, whole foods.

And just in case there's any confusion... the Church doesn't define seafood as meat. And around here you're allowed alligator.

I live in the Archdiocese of Boston, and St. Patrick's Day is on Friday during Lent this year. Those of us with Irish ancestry will get a dispensation for corned beef that day. (You couldn't pay me to eat that stuff. Ick.)

I live in the Archdiocese of Boston, and St. Patrick's Day is on Friday during Lent this year. Those of us with Irish ancestry will get a dispensation for corned beef that day. (You couldn't pay me to eat that stuff. Ick.)

Last year those who came to the local Catholic high school's Friday night spaghetti dinner fundraiser (for the theater program) got special dispensation from the bishop to have meatballs on their spaghetti.

• Like 1

Even incredibly devout Muslims allow small children juice and rather blah snack during Ramadan because is now known to be too hard on the body. I am sure God will understand a need for you to take your child's safety into account. Something tells me that might be sort of important to the Creator.

Even incredibly devout Muslims allow small children juice and rather blah snack during Ramadan because is now known to be too hard on the body. I am sure God will understand a need for you to take your child's safety into account. Something tells me that might be sort of important to the Creator.

I don't think anyone would have been in danger had I followed the fast more strictly. It was more that I probably could have safely pushed through my discomfort, but I didn't really have to because of the nursing mom exemption. I think Catholic fasting rules are pretty lenient compared to those for Ramadan and Yom Kippur, which is part of why I feel somewhat bad if I don't follow them well.

• Like 1

I'm constantly ravenous while nursing, so I haven't fasted for the past 8 years (nursing and/or pregnant the whole time). We did abstain from meat and I tried to limit my snacks to only what was necessary and only plain, whole foods.

Lol. I'm Irish but who cares, it shouldn't apply to some and not others partaking in a holiday meal. I'd probably order the meal to-go and save it in the fridge for the next day.

I don't think it is just those with Irish ancestry!  Our bishop (Arlington diocese) just gave everybody a dispensation.

• Like 2

Maybe they were figuring it was just the Irish that would be interested :laugh: Years ago we used to do a corned beef and cabbage meal with my grandma. I miss those. We went to Crackle Barrel one year for theirs.

I don't like corned beef and cabbage enough to make a big meal with leftovers, so sometimes we make Reubens instead. Not exactly Irish, but it has all the same elements. I think I'm going to use our dispensation this year to have the Irish breakfast at the Irish pub in our town. They actually have a priest say morning Mass at the pub on St. Patrick's Day.

• Like 2