Menu

Thankful for a handy hubby

BlsdMama

If you have one, give him an extra kiss today.

We're remodeling the kitchen using our existing cabinets which makes it inexpensive because we can do the labor.  But after seeing the quotes for labor, wow, I am SO grateful that he is handy.  I guess I'll never complain about the costs of tools ever again.

• Like 10

My husband cooks dinner every night, built our bedroom, just replaced some fan thingy in our furnace, replaced our front door, and has replaced insulation and sheetrock in our house.  In his day job, he tests pharmaceuticals. 

We would like to do some remodeling but he's unlikely to be able to do much of the work himself.  He works quite a few hours.

• Like 2

My dh is handy, too, and I'm very thankful!  So is my next-door neighbor!  She flagged him down at the end of our walk last Saturday and asked him if it would work to cut the legs off a decorative scrolly-thing she bought and have it just sit on its base. He said sure and that he'd do it for her. About 30 minutes later he was finished and she was super happy!  

• Like 1

If you have one, give him an extra kiss today.

We're remodeling the kitchen using our existing cabinets which makes it inexpensive because we can do the labor. But after seeing the quotes for labor, wow, I am SO grateful that he is handy. I guess I'll never complain about the costs of tools ever again.

My husband had a coworker who had a nightmare one night. He said he dreamed his wife sold all his tools for what he told her they cost. My husband thought that was the funniest thing ever.

I looked at my husband and said I didn't care how much they cost, I wanted to know the truth. 😉

• Like 3

Well, your husband could be so handy that he insists on doing everything himself and then nothing ever gets entirely done in a timely fashion....

Going on, geez, I forget, maybe 8-9 years here on our house remodel.

Hubby can do it all (plumbing, painting, electric, carpentry, drywall, concrete, cabinetry.....)  Not to mention fixing our vehicles and gardening, etc...Of course, I am right there helping but, still...

Thank heavens he agreed to have some of it contracted out or we would still be living without heat.

Hidden (or unplanned) cost of the tools is having to build a workshop in which to house and use them.

Edited by nevergiveup
  • Like 1

Well, your husband could be so handy that he insists on doing everything himself and then nothing ever gets entirely done in a timely fashion....

Hubby can do it all (plumbing, painting, electric, carpentry, drywall, concrete, cabinetry.....)  Not to mention fixing our vehicles and gardening, etc...Of course, I am right there helping but, still...

Thank heavens he agreed to have some of it contracted out or we would still be living without heat.

Hidden (or unplanned) cost of the tools is having to build a workshop in which to house and use them.

When I learned the 'trick' it speeded up the getting it done stuff around here. Trick? Walk around with his cordless drill and ask him if I have the right battery or bit thingy in it to do the job. He gets right on it. sssshhhhhhh.

• Like 6

My latest Handy Hubby Project: he dismantled a 26 year old, double-paned window, replaced the broken pane with a $12 cut pane from Lowes, reassembled said window, and reinstalled it.

Also brought to you by Super Handy FIL Who Takes the Time to Help His Kids and Their Families. :)

• Like 2

My hubby is thankful for a handy wife. ;) All those hours of hanging out with my Dad have paid off.

Funny story, DH took my drill to work one day to hang a sign or something. The next day a co-worker asked if he could borrow his drill for the weekend. He said "I'll have to ask my wife." His co-worker was aghast that he had such a monster for a wife who wouldn't let him loan out his tools without permission until DH told him that he doesn't have any tools, but his wife has a whole bunch - did he need any other tools for his project because she also has a jigsaw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, air nailer, and all sorts of hand tools. :lol:

• Like 6

When I learned the 'trick' it speeded up the getting it done stuff around here. Trick? Walk around with his cordless drill and ask him if I have the right battery or bit thingy in it to do the job. He gets right on it. sssshhhhhhh.

You. Rock. :rofl:

• Like 3

Also brought to you by Super Handy FIL Who Takes the Time to Help His Kids and Their Families. :)

Yep! Fil just built a boat, with dh doing specialty parts on it.

Dh is very handy, we're about to owner build our own home and I'm excited because he's going to do a great job!

• Like 1

My husband is ridiculously amazing in this area. He is handy, code compliant, and creative. The only thing he isn't is fast, because he has so much else to do. Small issue in the scheme of thing.

High five for handy husbands!

Yep, I tell Dh I keep him because he's handy to have around, then he makes a joke about being handsy.... But I love that I can draw something (I took drawing/drafting classes in College) and say "can you build this?" I always get a yes.

And yes, asking where his drill is or telling him I'm going to Lowes to buy wood usually gets the project going.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

So my hubby is both handy and Type A.  We started on Saturday.  All cabinets and counters are removed, soffets are removed, wiring is moved to be re-routed.  Half the plywood floor and insulation in the attic is moved.  Last night we did nothing because I had one of my top ten awful days and tonight we drywall where the soffits were.  The next two days - taping and mudding, with the new texture scheduled for Saturday.  Cabinets back up on Sunday. :)

I will say the basement is taking longer than planned but really once the kids had rooms, we lost our motivation. :D  And summer hit and we planted stuff.

LOL, this gives him panic attacks.  I'm fairly handy.  I can't/won't learn or do electrical.  I thought I'd do him a favor on Monday and rip out one of the soffits and I actually think I shortened his life expectancy.  But, just so ya know, it looked darn good. :P ;)

My hubby is thankful for a handy wife. ;) All those hours of hanging out with my Dad have paid off.

Funny story, DH took my drill to work one day to hang a sign or something. The next day a co-worker asked if he could borrow his drill for the weekend. He said "I'll have to ask my wife." His co-worker was aghast that he had such a monster for a wife who wouldn't let him loan out his tools without permission until DH told him that he doesn't have any tools, but his wife has a whole bunch - did he need any other tools for his project because she also has a jigsaw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, air nailer, and all sorts of hand tools. :lol:

Cute story! <3  

I have been trying  to learn more/do more.  I can use the saws.  The reciprocating saw was new to me this week.  I'm great at demo.  What I'd like to learn is how to build furniture a la Ana White! Maybe some day.......

That is funny :lol:

Dh isn't handy. At. All.  But he is thankful that I am and that I have been trying to teach ds.   ;)  

Years ago my mom gave dh a big drawer tool chest.  It become mine   :D   I would much rather get a tool or something than jewelry. 

• Like 2

That is funny :lol:

Dh isn't handy. At. All. But he is thankful that I am and that I have been trying to teach ds. ;)

Years ago my mom gave dh a big drawer tool chest. It become mine :D I would much rather get a tool or something than jewelry.

Right!! I get way more use out of a tool than jewelry.

• Like 1