Menu

Annual AP exam commiseration thread, 2017 edition

Has everyone nailed down testing sites fir this year's exams?

I decided to not even try to find a school near us. D will be taking her exams at the same school as last year about an hour away. They use Total Registration---so easy to register and pay online!

D is just taking 3 this year--US Gov and both econs.

• Like 7

We managed to register DS through school's portal and I will be meeting with the counselor in a few weeks just to make sure again. About 30mins away. If you hear a ear shattering scream reverberating around the country in a few weeks, you will know what happened. ;)

• Like 4

We decided to try a private school this year. So far it's been a much better experience. The public school we used last year was fine, but it wasn't ideal. Earlier registration and better communication have been two pluses with the private school thus far. (ETA: Third plus --- more welcoming overall.)

I'll echo quark sentiments about screams heard 'round the country...for us it will be if switching schools turns out to be a bad mistake...

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 5

Our school district high school counselor has been extremely accommodating for us. Not only she let my children take AP tests and AMC tests that school offers, but she arranged proctors and ordered tests for other AP's that my kids are taking- I am talking about something like AP Latin and AP Art History. After seeing so many homeschoolers struggling to find the school to take AP tests, I once again feel so grateful for what I have. 

• Like 5

This will be our third year using the same school. It is a smaller public school near my parent's house. The staff is wonderful, and they love my daughter. They look forward to seeing her every year and hearing about her education plans. 

• Like 4

Our location is not an issue -- but there is no one in charge of test coordination and administration, at least no one I've been made aware of.  I emailed the school counselor at the beginning of the year with the list of exams, but haven't heard squat.  I re-submitted my query this morning, but I am growing nervous.  We have a slew of AP exams this year:

DS (junior) AP English Language & Composition, AP Comp Gov't, AP US History, AP Statistics, and dd has two: AP Stats and AP Comp Gov't.

Next year will have even more!

Oh man. Lisa, you must be tied in knots!

Thankfully my youngest did the last of hers in her junior year, and we didn't have that mess this year. All I'm dealing with right now is senioritis when it comes to her physics class, and the ACT on Saturday because she needs a better math score for placement.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

Oh man. Lisa, you must be tied in knots!

Thankfully my youngest did the last of hers in her junior year, and we didn't have that mess this year. All I'm dealing with right now is senioritis when it comes to her physics class, and the ACT on Saturday because she needs a better math score for placement.

Next year is our "big bulge" for AP, and then things start going way, way down.  I did get a reply with the email for the new AP Coordinator, so I dashed off a follow-up email.  Hopefully, there won't be any problems!

• Like 2

This will be our first.  The pub HS down the street is offering it (AP HUG).  I called them just this past week to ask about getting in.

They have to let us, right?  I realize it may take arguing - but I thought part of the 'rules' for proctoring an AP test is that you have to allow anyone to take it.  no?

• Like 1

This will be our first.  The pub HS down the street is offering it (AP HUG).  I called them just this past week to ask about getting in.

They have to let us, right?  I realize it may take arguing - but I thought part of the 'rules' for proctoring an AP test is that you have to allow anyone to take it.  no?

I believe it depends on the state or even school district. I heard sad stories saying they were rejected to participate AP tests after a month of not hearing from the school. Because the school doesn't have a "room". I suggest that while you communicating your school district high school, have couple of back-up options. I think the registration for AP test starts in the middle of February and ends by the middle of March. Good luck!

• Like 2

Yes. Definitely do not assume and ask as early as you can. Our school district apparently has a "policy" about outsiders taking AP exams in their schools. I tried the neighboring district, same problem. So although the coordinators were apologetic (except for one who was very rude :glare: ), there was nothing they could do.

I then reached out to private schools and thankfully, the first one I called said yes and sounded so welcoming. Then it was several months of waiting (because I inquired early, in October or so) before they sent me a link to order the tests. I need to call them again next week just to make fully sure that everything went through, they have him taking the correct exams, and that DS will definitely have his place for both exams.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

No, they don't have to let your student take the exam.  

• Like 1

No, they don't have to let your student take the exam.  

hmm.   I sure thought I'd read that they did.   But - checking again, I can't find anything that says that.

I wasn't worried before, but NOW I am.  <fingers crossed>

No, they don't have to let anyone take APs.

Our zoned public school test coordinator has been very willing to let us register for the AP exams they offer, except for language tests with listening. I don't know why my students can't just bring their own CD/MP3 player or whatever is needed, but I'm so appreciative of her letting us take the other tests that I don't want to push it and rock the boat.

We do have to pay an additional $20 administrative fee for each AP when we register.

They will not order and let us take an AP exam they do not give.

OP--The AP HUG exam might be an easier one to find than others like AP Latin, but you still might want to seek out at least a of couple of local options for the AP exam, just in case your PS won't let you register. Our local PS's AP registration window ends at the end of Feb. and that deadline is set in concrete.  Registration deadlines vary, so you may or may not have a bigger window.

• Like 1

This will be our first. The pub HS down the street is offering it (AP HUG). I called them just this past week to ask about getting in.

They have to let us, right? I realize it may take arguing - but I thought part of the 'rules' for proctoring an AP test is that you have to allow anyone to take it. no?

Not a requirement from College Board, though they do encourage it.

Some states require high schools to allow homeschoolers to test if the school offers it.

There are strict seating arrangements required by college board. So a space not available response can be just that.

• Like 1

Yeah, so not arguing, but more like groveling, lol.  jk.  Actually, be super nice and grateful, tell them you will pay any fees, and that your student won't require accommodations (if true of course).  

• Like 4

Just signed dd up for her AP US Gov't test. We are very fortunate that a nearby high school offers a ton of AP exams and we just email the organizer for the link and sign up online! Super easy!

We just decided to have dd take this exam for sure (she was contemplating taking the CLEP later instead) - so we have a little intense studying to plan out for her over the next couple of months.

• Like 2

Oh, when I heard AP US Gov't test, I remembered my funny -or not so funny- experience.

So I met the counselor and signed up my two DS's at local high school in Feb. last year for AP US Gov't test. On the test day, I gave boys breakfast and drive them to school. About 30 minutes later, I got a phone call. Boys said I needed to pick them up because the school doesn't offer "AP US Gov't test"! :crying:

When I met the counselor back in Feb., I gave her the written list of AP tests that my kids are planning to take. I confirmed with her a week before the exam. All those time, the counselor was thinking it was "AP Comparative Gov't and Politics" which her school usually offers. I felt like I was going to faint, literally. What about all those time and preparation? Does this mean do they have to wait another year to take the test? 

Good thing is that this story has a happy ending. On that same day, the counselor called me and said she will order late testing for my boys (bless her heart). After all, my boys earned one more week to prepare for the exam and I am glad to say that they did well. The end.

Moral: There is no such thing as too much confirmation. And yeah, be kind to someone who is trying to help you. 

• Like 5

Ugh. I thought I had 3 of our 4 AP exams scheduled. In addition I am to have a counselor call me back about the fourth today.

Now, I get an email saying our school district is no longer testing homeschoolers. They've canceled our registration and refunded our money. We had two different counselors at two schools test in past years and agree to test again this year. We were signed up and paid. Now I'm starting over at step one and I've already previously been turned down by every other school in our area.

I'm beyond frustrated at the moment.

• Like 1

Ugh. I thought I had 3 of our 4 AP exams scheduled. In addition I am to have a counselor call me back about the fourth today.

Now, I get an email saying our school district is no longer testing homeschoolers. They've canceled our registration and refunded our money. We had two different counselors at two schools test in past years and agree to test again this year. We were signed up and paid. Now I'm starting over at step one and I've already previously been turned down by every other school in our area.

Long shot, but maybe you can come back to them and explain that it's putting you in an untenable position to cancel your registration this late in the year.  If they wanted to exclude homeschoolers, the right thing would be to do it at the start of the year, not when it's nearly too late to locate another site.  They should grandfather you in for this year, and make the policy change at the start of next year.  Long shot, but this is grossly unfair.  

• Like 3

Long shot, but maybe you can come back to them and explain that it's putting you in an untenable position to cancel your registration this late in the year.  If they wanted to exclude homeschoolers, the right thing would be to do it at the start of the year, not when it's nearly too late to locate another site.  They should grandfather you in for this year, and make the policy change at the start of next year.  Long shot, but this is grossly unfair.  

I agree. Julie, is this for a senior? That could give you more room to discuss and argue your point.

I am so sorry. I hope it works out soon.

• Like 1

Yes, two tests are for a senior - needs them to place out of classes for the fall. Two are for a sophomore.

The school counselors have been very friendly, tested us in the past and agreed again this year. I've always maintained very good relations with the counselors and been very appreciative. One of the counselors has gone out of her way to help us find a school that the district logistically couldn't give (due to district plans). I don't think it has anything to do with us, but the district testing coordinator has sent down word to the schools that they are not to test homescholers this year. 3 of my 4 tests were confirmed and paid for at the beginning of Feb., but now cancelled.

I will address the district at some point, but I don't have the time and energy at this time. I'm working on calling other schools now and will update later.

• Like 3

I think you are doing what you have to do at this point (calling other schools).  Are you calling schools in another district?  We had trouble with AP Music Theory last year - the local high school refused to allow anyone from outside of their school.  I found the course at a school in one of the next-door districts, and they allowed my daughter to test there.  I will say that at first the vice principal was sounding like it could go either way.  (I decided to just show up, rather than call  because  think it is easier for them to say no over the phone.) Fortunately, my daughter volunteers at a very community supported cat rescue in that town, so I mentioned that and it swung things to an immediate yes.

I hope you are able to get this worked out.  

• Like 1

How awful!

Why are some schools so resistant to extra students? Don't they get a little bit of money for every student that takes a test? In which case it would make sense to be welcoming.

From Collegeboard

"Regular Exams

Student pays school $93 per exam

School pays the College Board $84 per exam

School rebate $9 per exam" http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/ap_coordinators/exam_ordering_fees/exam_fees_reductions/index.html

At $9 profit per exam, and having to write down exam candidates ID on the classroom floor plan for submission to CollegeBoard, as well as AP exams being held on school days make other exams like SAT and ACT which are held on Saturday more profitable and less of an administrative pain.

My friend sub for a public elementary school and is paid $160 per day for being credentialed, $100 per day if she doesn't have teaching credentials. So sub teachers staffing isn't cheap.

The private centers we looked at charges $120 and $125 for outsiders, much lower for their students. At $120, the profit becomes $36 which isn't so bad for private centers. We toured one private center and the center suspends all classes during AP exam season so the whole center is on "lockdown". The local public high schools have lessons as usual.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Why are some schools so resistant to extra students?    Don't they get a little bit of money for every student that takes a test?   In which case it would make sense to be welcoming.  

Reasons why a school might not want outside students:

Strict seating requirements set by College Board may legitimately restrict their ability to seat extra students.  If a school has a big conference center that can hold lots of students, great.  But if they are limited to library seating or classroom seating, they may not have much space available.  Interestingly, I've had this come up for both uncommon and really popular tests.  Some less common exams have little extra space, because the school isn't expecting to test more than a dozen or so students.  There were fewer than 10 students taking Comparative Government with my kids a few years back.  So they schedule that one for a small room.  The Comp Govt test actually had students from several different schools in a district at the one site.  On the other hand, the same district had so many students doing US Government that they scheduled it in facilities at the local fairground site.  They couldn't take us, because the demand for the test was already so high that they were at capacity.

Limited required tech or concerns about damage to tech.  The modern language tests have a listening and recording component.  The school may not have enough systems or may not have an ability to add a student to the network to use their system.  

Concerns about an unknown outside student disrupting the exam and invalidating the test for all students.  There have been cases where a set of scores was cancelled because of an irregularity.  Some school might be reluctant to bring in an unknown element to what is a high stakes test.  Some might also think that the student's scores will go into the school's score average.  This isn't correct, but it could be a reason for reluctance.

And some schools may just have decided as a matter of policy not to serve students who are not registered at that school or district.  I don't think that schools make much extra on AP exams.  I actually think the bulk of the fee goes to College Board.  A few years back, the district we lived in required all students in AP courses to take the exam.  The district had been paying all the exam fees and tried to put that on the family.  There was a pushback that since the exam was not optional, the school had to pay for it.  A school can charge more for students outside the school or district.  When we've paid extra, it has been around $35 extra for an exam that was already scheduled.  I make it clear that I am prepared to pay the cost of the exam, and don't assume my students to fall under any fee provision made by the school for their own students.  

This is the page for homeschoolers regarding AP exams.  Coordinators are not required to host outside students, but are asked to be helpful.  http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/ap_coordinators/exam_ordering_fees/ordering_materials/232006.html

Page 21 of the Coordinator's Manual encourages coordinators to assist home-schooled students and students whose schools do not offer exams.  https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

When we lived in VA, there was a section of the state law governing homeschooling that required schools to provide access for tests like PSAT and AP.  I think this is something that could be addressed at local school board meetings or through state legislation.  All students are future voters and active contributors to society.  The community benefits from having all of its students educated to their full potential.  Restricting access to AP exams to select portions of the community raises questions of equity.

• Like 2

:grouphug: Julie

I feel a bit embarrassed to admit this because of all the problems people are having but we got an email yesterday asking if ds wanted to take any exams at the school we have always used. They had Statistics this year so we signed him up. The review book just arrived! :lol:

For the record last year was not easy.....we had been told they would order and administer things they didn't normally offer so we were planning on Latin and Calc BC. Neither happened due to policy change.

• Like 2

I also was a bit hesitant to post something positive, but I got a recommendation from another homeschool mom for one of the nearby public schools, and when I emailed the contact person (which was a different person than the College Board had listed as the AP coordinator) I got an very nice email back in less than an hour saying they would put my dd on the list and be back in touch after spring break. They are not charging us anything beyond the College Board fee. It will be dd's first APs and she is taking Physics 1 & 2.

• Like 2

I am waiting to hear from the public high school that my daughter used for the AP HUG test last year.  They were gracious enough to accept us when our zoned high school wasn't giving the test. One other public school and a private school turned us down, before we found a school to let her test with their students.  She is studying for 2 tests this year and we would prefer to do them at a place that she is already a little familiar with, if possible.

• Like 1

This will be our third year using the same school. It is a smaller public school near my parent's house. The staff is wonderful, and they love my daughter. They look forward to seeing her every year and hearing about her education plans. 

An update - Yesterday my daughter went to the school to pick up the paperwork for the APs and she was stopped in the hall by someone who did not know her. This person demanded to see her student ID and when my daughter told her she didn't go to the school but was coming to register for the APs, this person got very angry at her. She said she couldn't be at the school and that she should never have been allowed to take the APs there. My daughter came back out to the parking lot with tears in her eyes, and as she was explaining to me what happened, the lady that always helps my daughter came out and gave her a big hug and brought her back in the school to get her paperwork. 

My daughter is still a bit shocked that someone at a school would treat her like that but in the end it all worked out and she is signed up for her 3 AP tests. 

• Like 2

An update - Yesterday my daughter went to the school to pick up the paperwork for the APs and she was stopped in the hall by someone who did not know her. This person demanded to see her student ID and when my daughter told her she didn't go to the school but was coming to register for the APs, this person got very angry at her. She said she couldn't be at the school and that she should never have been allowed to take the APs there.

My district was very strict about visitors reporting to the general office and being escorted by staff everywhere else. They had lockdowns before due to armed robbery. Parent volunteers had to wear their volunteer badges when on volunteering duty. Someone stopping your daughter would be normal here but the person was rude. The person should had just walked your daughter back to the general office to wait.

• Like 2

My district was very strict about visitors reporting to the general office and being escorted by staff everywhere else. They had lockdowns before due to armed robbery. Parent volunteers had to wear their volunteer badges when on volunteering duty. Someone stopping your daughter would be normal here but the person was rude. The person should had just walked your daughter back to the general office to wait.

Actually my daughter checked in with the security guard and was told to walk to the person's office that she was going to see. She was stopped in the hall on the way. I imagine the person who stopped her was just having a bad day, at least that is what I told my daughter. 

I think this could have been avoided if the security guard had given her a visitor's pass. He did call the person she was going to see and verified the appointment. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 2

Here's my update. I "think" I have everything scheduled - out of state. I've talked to over 40 schools in the process of getting my AP tests scheduled this year.

Edited to add that the four exams are scheduled through three different schools as I couldn't find one to do them all.

Lessons learned:

• Just because the school district always has been very nice to homeschoolers doesn't mean that it'll remain that way. (I have no idea of the whys of what happened).
  • When the school counselors and principals agree to do the tests and you sign up and pay for them, it doesn't mean it will happen. The district coordinators can send down word to all the schools that they are to no longer test any homeschoolers (no matter how willing the schools are).
  • Small town schools are nice to talk to but not really very helpful in testing the less common tests.
  • Private schools also change their minds.
  • College board is not helpful.
  • Accommodations make it harder (but that hasn't been our main problem as I can't schedule our tests for my son without accommodations)
  • Sometimes going out of state is easier.  I've spent way too much time scheduling my tests and then having them cancelled. It will be easier to simply drive two hours each way rather than waste my days trying to find someplace closer. 
  • HSLDA is interested in advocating for homeschoolers in this situation.
Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 6

Oh Julie, 40 schools! I am so sorry. Our plan B was also going to be a 2hr drive but instate (CA).

I hope everything is ordered and secured now for your DC.

I got in touch with the private school and received confirmation that DS is all set but I cannot help keeping fingers crossed and worrying. This just feels so unfair that we homeschoolers cannot have some certainty of testing location. :(

• Like 4

• Just because the school district always has been very nice to homeschoolers doesn't mean that it'll remain that way. (I have no idea of the whys of what happened).
  • When the school counselors and principals agree to do the tests and you sign up and pay for them, it doesn't mean it will happen. The district coordinators can send down word to all the schools that they are to no longer test any homeschoolers (no matter how willing the schools are).
  • College board is not helpful.
  • HSLDA is interested in advocating for homeschoolers in this situation.

I am sorry to hear what you had to go through. Since my family have a great relationship with this counselor lady at the school district, I've been thinking that we are pretty 'safe' when it comes to tests. Last month I was told that soon she will retire and another guy will take over her job. I haven't met him, but thinking about starting a whole new network is not what I necessarily wanted. I guess you just have prepare for the worst, sadly. 

I wonder how much HSDLA is "interested" in this case. 

• Like 3

I registered dd for her exams on Friday.  I went to one of the high schools at which she tested last year.  They had been very nice, and very accommodating.  In fact, last year they tried to contact us to have dd come register before the test.  They had the incorrect phone number, so one of the women actually volunteered to drive to our house to let us know!  Unfortunately, the address was a UPS store, where we have our mail delivered.  Undeterred, she left everything there for us, and I got it just in time to register. They were so very, very nice.

This year, the person in charge wasn't there when I went in, but I was allowed to register upon saying she allowed dd to test last year.  I hope that, given last year, they won't change their minds and send me a cancellation!

• Like 3