Menu

WTMA has posted their 2017-18 schedule and course descriptions

Course Description:

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/

Master Schedule:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rLBAOQluifT3iqQhe3LlLPIrp7gDu0JuxfMe7526-nA/edit

They haven't posted anything about diploma program yet, but that might be in the works.

Is there a diploma program in the works? Or is that just wishful thinking? I would looooove to see that, but sounds too good to be true! In all honesty, I could probably never limit myself to one provider or to all online, but I'd love a secular option!
  • Like 1

I've been greatly anticipating this  :001_smile: and especially thankful that the classes we are taking elsewhere do not conflict with this schedule.  

I wish I could say the same...  :glare:    ;)

Feeling extra thankful for the delayed lecture options... :thumbup1:

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 2

I see they added second year French and German. Do you think we can safely assume they will continue to add level 3 and 4?

I still do not understand why online providers do not hire a NATIVE French speaker?!  It is so frustrating!  Spending summers in Europe is not equivalent. Teaching ESL in Europe is not an equivalent. Having a BA or MA in French from an American university is not an equivalent. Someone who's done these things will probably have better spoken French than someone who hasn't, but they are unlikely to be as good as a native speaker.

I was a French lang & lit major, at a selective college where all the French lit classes were conducted solely in French. I spent a year in French-speaking Geneva as a fully-matriculated student, with a full course load, at the University of Geneva. I graduated with honors. Yet, I would not teach French here! There are better options; native speakers who, assuming they are also good teachers, can, obviously, teach their native language better than I can.  For my own children, even with a French husband and with all the exposure my kids get to French from my husband's speaking to them only in French and from his entire side of the family in France, I want a good teacher, who is a native of France, to teach my kids the language. 

An online provider who hired a native speaker would have the corner on the market. There must be some issue I just don't see. Otherwise, someone would have done it by now.  In the meantime, as consumers, we have to just look for the best of the less-than-ideal online class options we have available. (And supplement with a native speaking tutor.)

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 6

Online G3's instructor is native, but it really wasn't a good fit for us.

I still do not understand why online providers do not hire a NATIVE French speaker?!  It is so frustrating!  Spending summers in Europe is not equivalent. Teaching ESL in Europe is not an equivalent. Having a BA or MA in French from an American university is not an equivalent. Someone who's done these things will probably have better spoken French than someone who hasn't, but they are unlikely to be as good as a native speaker.

I was a French lang & lit major, at a selective college where all the French lit classes were conducted solely in French. I spent a year in French-speaking Geneva as a fully-matriculated student, with a full course load, at the University of Geneva. I graduated with honors. Yet, I would never presume to teach French here! There are better options; native speakers who, assuming they are also good teachers, can, obviously, teach their native language better than I can.  For my own children, even with a French husband and with all the exposure my kids get to French from my husband's speaking to them only in French and from his entire side of the family in France, I want a good teacher, who is a native of France, to teach my kids the language. 

An online provider who hired a native speaker would have the corner on the market. There must be some issue I just don't see. Otherwise, someone would have done it by now.  In the meantime, as consumers, we have to just look for the best of the less-than-ideal online class options we have available. (And supplement with a native speaking tutor.)

• Like 2

Online G3's instructor is native, but it really wasn't a good fit for us.

That's promising!  My kids are diligent students, but they aren't gifted. I just looked at their site. It looks like G3's French is focused on conversational skills. We needed a combination of conversational and traditional French reading/writing/grammar instruction.

But if I had a gifted younger child, I'd consider the G3 courses for the oral fluency!

Okay, I'm looking through the handbook for the WTMA, and this is a sample 9th grade schedule (below). This seems really heavy to me. I'm teaching some smart cookies at co-op this year, and they would never keep up with the book list in the Lit section if they had two other LA classes.

Course                           Credit        Taken At        Area

Ancient History                1               Academy        Social Science   

Ancient Literature             1              Academy        Language Arts

Expository Writing III       1             Academy        Language Arts

Advanced Grammar          .5            Academy        Language Arts

Biology with Lab              1              Academy        Natural Science/Lab

Algebra I                           1        Academy            Math

Intro to Music Theory       1        Academy            Fine Arts

Phys Ed                             1        Home            P.E.

German    I                        1        Academy        Foreign Language

That's promising!  My kids are diligent students, but they aren't gifted. I just looked at their site. It looks like G3's French is focused on conversational skills. We needed a combination of conversational and traditional French reading/writing/grammar instruction.

But if I had a gifted younger child, I'd consider the G3 courses for the oral fluency!

There is some reading and writing, as well. I really felt like the oral fluency wasn't a strength, other than turns of phrase the instructor pointed out.

To be honest, the number of students in the class really didn't give enough time for speaking. This would be a problem in any language course that meets for an hour a week, though.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm looking through the handbook for the WTMA, and this is a sample 9th grade schedule (below). This seems really heavy to me. I'm teaching some smart cookies at co-op this year, and they would never keep up with the book list in the Lit section if they had two other LA classes.

Course Credit Taken At Area

Ancient History 1 Academy Social Science

Ancient Literature 1 Academy Language Arts

Expository Writing III 1 Academy Language Arts

Advanced Grammar .5 Academy Language Arts

Biology with Lab 1 Academy Natural Science/Lab

Algebra I 1 Academy Math

Intro to Music Theory 1 Academy Fine Arts

Phys Ed 1 Home P.E.

German I 1 Academy Foreign Language

Where did you find this schedule? Edited by Roadrunner

It would be really hard to fit in 2 1/2 full-load LA courses just to cover high school English.  The private, college-prep high schools seem to include grammar and composition skills in their lit-based English courses, but I've noticed that most online class providers split out lit, composition, and grammar into separate classes.

I wonder if the majority of home schoolers are coming to high school English classes with limited grammar and writing skills, necessitating the focused work on grammar & composition.  Or maybe home schoolers just have the flexibility to focus on whatever aspect of "English" that they most need to work on.

ETA: If Rhetoric works on speeches and oral argumentation, I can see that adding a different, useful dimension that wouldn't necessarily be covered in a lit-based (with writing) English course.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm taking it out of context? Maybe this is just a sample of what you can do?

I can see a "speech and rhetoric" type class or a "research writing" class at the high school level. Beyond that, I think those "composition and grammar" type classes need to be in place of a lit class, not along-side it. Closely study some short stories and poetry with some solid grammar and comp instruction. Do it well, but don't over do it (Wait, isn't that kind of WWS?)

ETA- To answer the question as to if high school students who join online classes know how to write, I suspect the answer is sometimes no. I've gotten high schoolers in my co-op classes where mom has thrown up her hands and said, "Time to outsource!"

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 2

Also, have you noticed their aops sequence completely skipped over Intermediate Algebra book? They went from Intro to Algebra to Precalculus text. Aren't we lacking on polynomials without the Intermediate book? My kid doesn't know how to multiply or divide polynomials (I know it's not hard to teach), so their sequence assumes he is ready for precalculus? As somebody not versed in those issues, are we to assume Aops Intermediate textbook is just optional fun?

• Like 2

Also, have you noticed their aops sequence completely skipped over Intermediate Algebra book? They went from Intro to Algebra to Precalculus text. Aren't we lacking on polynomials without the Intermediate book? My kid doesn't know how to multiply or divide polynomials (I know it's not hard to teach), so their sequence assumes he is ready for precalculus? As somebody not versed in those issues, are we to assume Aops Intermediate textbook is just optional fun?

That's a blended-text class. Perhaps they've covered that with the other book?

Maybe I'm taking it out of context? Maybe this is just a sample of what you can do?

I can see a "speech and rhetoric" type class or a "research writing" class at the high school level. Beyond that, I think those "composition and grammar" type classes need to be in place of a lit class, not along-side it.

It is definately an example.

Looking at the sample schedule that was quoted,

These two would have been merged into 1 LA course at my kids assigned high school

"Expository Writing III 1 Academy Language Arts

Advanced Grammar .5 Academy Language Arts "

For the below, we need a fine art credit and 2 PE credits which can be completed anytime in high school. The fine arts can be any course acceptable as a fine arts credit.

"Intro to Music Theory 1 Academy Fine Arts

Phys Ed 1 Home P.E."

Also, have you noticed their aops sequence completely skipped over Intermediate Algebra book?

... As somebody not versed in those issues, are we to assume Aops Intermediate textbook is just optional fun?

Looking at the WTMA syllabus for algebra 2 and for precalculus, the intermediate algebra book is skipped.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12WwhrH7Z8BPh24kZelazK2tpaE5Vand0Sf8Kj3zHYas/mobilebasic

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gbOuda_I4oLiN9DrIY4SJK8tUlvaBvi_jaO67ARszkQ/mobilebasic

Both my kids have the most "fun" with the intermediate algebra book. No idea about the optional part.

• Like 1

The separation of writing and literature is problematic for kids heading into STEM. It's too much language arts. It's a great combo for those opting to emphasize English. Our local PS incorporates They Say, I Say into their standard English class, which also covers lit.

That's interesting. I was thinking maybe STEM students preferred separating them out, being able to just do writing.

It seems that some STEM programs feel that lit isn't necessary. (I disagree, just like I would disagree with the idea that science isn't necessary for a humanities-oriented student.) Those programs might only do writing and skip lit altogether.

It seems odd for classical ed programs not to combine lit/comp/grammar. There must be some reason behind it, though.

• Like 1

Looking at the WTMA syllabus for algebra 2 and for precalculus, the intermediate algebra book is skipped.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12WwhrH7Z8BPh24kZelazK2tpaE5Vand0Sf8Kj3zHYas/mobilebasic

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gbOuda_I4oLiN9DrIY4SJK8tUlvaBvi_jaO67ARszkQ/mobilebasic

Both my kids have the most "fun" with the intermediate algebra book. No idea about the optional part.

They seem to be covering the polynomials with supplemental workbook.

That's interesting. I was thinking maybe STEM students preferred separating them out, being able to just do writing.

It seems that some STEM programs feel that lit isn't necessary. (I disagree, just like I would disagree with the idea that science isn't necessary for a humanities-oriented student.) Those programs might only do writing and skip lit altogether.

It seems odd for classical ed programs not to combine lit/comp/grammar. There must be some reason behind it, though.

See, for me literature is synonymous with English credit, and education in general. I would never dream of skipping it STEM or not. We are going to bypass the rhetoric classes though. Too much.

• Like 1

I think the schedule is fine for a kid not headed into STEM.  My oldest is did that type of schedule and it really worked well for him.  His reading and writing skills are excellent and he is at a liberal arts college now.  He handles the workload well while his peers really struggle with the reading/writing load.

I love all that reading, I really do.  But my second kid just wouldn't have it.  He would be miserable.  He did just the basics.  We did them well and he is college bound. He is not as well read or as confident as the oldest and the difference is not intelligence but background.

I had a similar schedule planned out for my rising 9th grader.  I loved the idea of it and he could have handled it but he wants to be an engineer! I nixed the extra lit class and he will just take Expository Writing 3 as his English 9 class.  Another year he will take a lit class as his English.  But not both every year.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

I still do not understand why online providers do not hire a NATIVE French speaker?! It is so frustrating! Spending summers in Europe is not equivalent. Teaching ESL in Europe is not an equivalent. Having a BA or MA in French from an American university is not an equivalent. Someone who's done these things will probably have better spoken French than someone who hasn't, but they are unlikely to be as good as a native speaker.

I was a French lang & lit major, at a selective college where all the French lit classes were conducted solely in French. I spent a year in French-speaking Geneva as a fully-matriculated student, with a full course load, at the University of Geneva. I graduated with honors. Yet, I would never presume to teach French here! There are better options; native speakers who, assuming they are also good teachers, can, obviously, teach their native language better than I can. For my own children, even with a French husband and with all the exposure my kids get to French from my husband's speaking to them only in French and from his entire side of the family in France, I want a good teacher, who is a native of France, to teach my kids the language.

An online provider who hired a native speaker would have the corner on the market. There must be some issue I just don't see. Otherwise, someone would have done it by now. In the meantime, as consumers, we have to just look for the best of the less-than-ideal online class options we have available. (And supplement with a native speaking tutor.)

The WTMA German class has worked fine for us.

And DS current French teacher is not native but he's doing really well for her.

I don't think, for beginner classes, one needs perfect accent. You can be a French person and suck at teaching French.

We do have native conversation practice on the side but that's because I want DS to maintain.

Edit: that schedule, except for the 0.5 credit grammar (we don't study grammar) seems about right to me for a liberal arts kid...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

This is pretty much my dd's schedule for next year for 9th grade although half of the classes will be at home and there are a few substitutions. She's taking physics instead of biology for example and a different math. She'll do Analytic Grammar instead of a class. but I'm not planning to give her credit for that. Plus, she'll have a different elective instead of PE. We have her set with 8 credits for next year.  

ETA:  She isn't a STEM kid  :001_smile:

Edited by jjeepa

The WTMA German class has worked fine for us.

And DS current French teacher is not native but he's doing really well for her.

I don't think, for beginner classes, one needs perfect accent. You can be a French person and suck at teaching French.

We do have native conversation practice on the side but that's because I want DS to maintain.

Edit: that schedule, except for the 0.5 credit grammar (we don't study grammar) seems about right to me for a liberal arts kid...

Non-native can work, but I still don't think it's ideal. We were good with Mme Starosciak at TPS. She had a good accent and did a great job of keeping up with her French... reading, trips to France,....   Ideally, though, I'd love a class with a teacher who was a native speaker.  They can teach ahead. They're more likely to correct written work with a fine-toothed comb.

I wish I knew why there aren't more online classes taught by native speakers. Online classes are not limited to locally available teachers. I would imagine that there are native French teachers willing to teach. Maybe it's harder to hire non-US citizens.

Edited by yvonne

Foreign language is listed as 3x weekly! That's a plus. Don't see that too often!

That was the set-up last year. In the course descriptions, they specify that this year's classes are 2/week and 1 hour 15 minutes long (rather than 3 50-minute classes per week like last year).

ETA:

Upon further inspection, looks like German & Latin are three times per week, but French is as I described above. Total instruction time for the week is the same (150 mins).

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 2

This is pretty much my dd's schedule for next year for 9th grade although half of the classes will be at home and there are a few substitutions. She's taking physics instead of biology for example and a different math. She'll do Analytic Grammar instead of a class. but I'm not planning to give her credit for that. Plus, she'll have a different elective instead of PE. We have her set with 8 credits for next year.  

ETA:  She isn't a STEM kid  :001_smile:

Yes, if you are doing it at home you have some flexibility, though. WTM has a reputation of being intensive.

Online classes are not limited to locally available teachers. 

Susan did address this issue in a thread about the failure of Landry Academy. This may be the reason, Yvonne, for a dearth of native speakers. It does sound like the whole teacher-hiring process is more difficult than it would seem:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/?p=7370470

• Like 1

I'm looking at DD's intended 9th grade schedule... and if you put Latin in the writing and grammar slots, count music lessons for the music theory (she's working through that textbook this year), and count team her sports and cross training as phys ed, the workload would be the same.

So... I guess it isn't overwhelming. I looked up a couple of high end private high schools, though, and they only have 5 or 6 classes a day. They all generally require community service hours out side of class, and religion or ethics courses, though.

Susan did address this issue in a thread about the failure of Landry Academy. This may be the reason, Yvonne, for a dearth of native speakers. It does sound like the whole teacher-hiring process is more difficult than it would seem:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/?p=7370470

I did see see that thread.  It was very eye-opening.  From our side, the consumer side, it seems like it would be a slam dunk for online foreign language classes to use teachers who are native speakers. Unlike a b&M with a pool limited to a radius of perhaps 50 miles, an online teacher could be anywhere. I didn't realize there were so many hurdles to hiring out of state teachers, though, until Susan provided the other side of the picture. 

Still, most online providers do employ teachers from different states. There must be a qualified, native French speaking teacher available somewhere in the US. That's why I'm thinking it could be that most are not necessarily US citizens, and that may throw yet another wrench into the hiring situation.

I'm sure the online providers most often mentioned here hire the very best teacher for each subject that they can find. I imagine that the WTMA (and TPS and WHA and VP) foreign language teachers are qualified and good teachers. I just wish I could find a higher level French class with a native speaker. :)

• Like 1

Does anybody have any experiences with Ms. Ostaff as a teacher?

Yes.  Dd has Ms. Ostaff for Ancient History.  This is my Dd's favorite class BECAUSE of Ms. Ostaff.  Dd isn't really into history, but loves the way Ostaff teaches.  Teacher is open to helping in any way possible.  She also gives students many chances to get a good grade.  A lot of papers, but teacher gives options of "pre-review" of the paper, as well as a "post-review" option to improve the grade.  Dd has taken full advantage of the pre-review and as a result has never needed the post-review.  Ostaff will not be teaching history next year which completely bummed out Dd.  I HIGHLY recommend Ostaff.  She is awesome!  We both wish she taught more classes!

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

I'm sure the online providers most often mentioned here hire the very best teacher for each subject that they can find. I imagine that the WTMA (and TPS and WHA and VP) foreign language teachers are qualified and good teachers. I just wish I could find a higher level French class with a native speaker. :)

Isn't there anything like Homeschool Spanish Academy or 121 Spanish for French? Those are both online schools based in Guatemala and Venezuela that use Skype to tutor online. HSA is even a-g accredited and they both have set curricula, they're not just freelance tutors to practice chit chat with. I imagine wages in France or Belgium would be too expensive, but surely someone in Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire has glommed onto this market?

I HIGHLY recommend Ostaff.  She is awesome!  We both wish she taught more classes!

Oh good! She's teaching AOPS Geometry next year. Up until now Trinqueta has had Mrs. Quintero and she was a bit worried about switching math teachers. I'm glad Mrs. Ostaff comes so highly recommended.

• Like 1

Isn't there anything like Homeschool Spanish Academy or 121 Spanish for French? Those are both online schools based in Guatemala and Venezuela that use Skype to tutor online. HSA is even a-g accredited and they both have set curricula, they're not just freelance tutors to practice chit chat with. I imagine wages in France or Belgium would be too expensive, but surely someone in Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire has glommed onto this market?

Or in Martinique!

Not that we could find. French classes have been hard to locate. I keep hearing about TPS being good, but then I learned they don't correct written work. 🤔

I have been wondering if it's possible to get like minded kids and create custom classes.

I just want to add that I am keeping my fingers crossed that WTMA will eventually offer AP French.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

We've been a little disappointed that classes my daughter had looked forward to taking have been removed from the following year's schedule.   :sad:

Historian's Craft and Philosophy & History of Science are two that come to mind...

My ds was interested in the Philosophy and History of Science class.  Not sure he would have even been able to work it in but it sure looked interesting.  We were happy with some of the additions, though.  

• Like 1

My ds was interested in the Philosophy and History of Science class.  Not sure he would have even been able to work it in but it sure looked interesting.  We were happy with some of the additions, though.  

So many great looking options, so little time!! 

I need more guinea pigs  children!

• Like 2