Menu

Plane travel with 1 month old?

Moonhawk

So, there is a business conference in March that we (DH and I) need/want to go to. This is seriously impactful on our business, and I will be very disappointed/ticked if I don't get to go, and my DH will not be able to get as much out of it without me there [even taking into account that I'll be taking care of a newborn while there]. 

My parents could watch the other 3 kids (once I break this to them, ha). We would need to take the yet-to-be-born newborn, who will be approximately 1 month at the time.  It would be a 1.5 hour flight, we would stay in the hotel of the conference. I will be breastfeeding, and I know from past experience I won't be able to leave the baby that young.  I did return to work with all my kids after 4 weeks; this is my first kid where I'm not working outside the home. 

Has anyone traveled with a 1 month old? What do you suggest/warn?  I've traveled with a 6mo, but 6 is a lot bigger than 1. On the crazy-o-meter, how crazy is this? 

Disclaimer: if there are complications with the baby, if the baby comes too late, if the baby is sick, etc., I won't go, and my DH will. So, yes, that is something we know, that sometimes we can't plan for this type of thing and every baby is different.  I'm trying to plan for the hoped scenario of both of us going.

• Like 1

It is always safer for children if you can book an extra seat for them, rather than doing in arms. If you do carry them, be sure to check the car seat in a box like the one you purchased it in so that it isn't damaged by baggage handlers.  It is true the babies cannot be in carriers during take off and landing, but otherwise the carrier is really nice and also helps for privacy while nursing.  I have flown a couple babies that young and it has always been easy.   Be sure you consider the minimum age your baby might be (2 weeks over due date?) and be prepared not to be up to full strength. You might need to arrange extra assistance or rides in the terminal so you don't have to walk so far. 

• Like 5

I traveled with all of mine (I have six) anywhere from 10 days to six weeks old. Newborns are a piece of cake to travel with, although with the first of course you think it was terrible, then you do it with an 18 month old and a newborn and realize the newborn was a piece of cake. Use a back pack for a carry on so your hands are free. Tickets and money and ID in a small cross body purse. Baby in wrap or ergo or similar is easiest. Check the car seat unless you buy a seat. Pack wipes and diapers and a lightweight change of clothes for everyone in your carry on. Good luck.

• Like 2

I was allowed to have my baby in the car seat provided it had the sticker saying it was approved for air travel. For such a short trip, I'd probably not buy a seat, but you can see if there are empty seats nearby. It will be too young to be vaccinated so I'd want to keep it under a blanket as it will still be flu season.

• Like 1

Like previous posters, I have found flying with itty bitties to be very easy.

Carry on an extra outfit for them and an extra shirt for you.  I also found it helpful to have a sweatshirt or something to wad up on the arm rest to prop my arm on while baby nurses for most of the flight.

Wendy

• Like 2

I love traveling with newborns. It's crawling age to about two that gives me hives.

Of course booking the child their own seat and flying with a car seat is the absolute safest, but my funds don't usually extend that far. I skip flying with strollers and wear all my babies. Most airlines will let you wear baby in flight, except during takeoff and landing. The exception is Delta; technically they don't allow baby wearing in flight at all. It's unevenly enforced by the flight attendants, but I try to avoid Delta just in case.

Newborns usually pass out the whole flight, and you don't have to pack toys or any random distractions. I even get to read something on the plane if I'm only flying with an itty bitty - bliss!

• Like 1

We took DD on a short flight (scheduled time is one hour, actual time in the air is approximately 35 or 40 minutes) when she was  3 months old or just past that. We took her from where we live (Cali, Colombia) to Bogota, Colombia to go to the U.S. Embassy.  We waited until then. She was in excellent health. The delay for the trip was a precaution.  As I recall, her Pediatrician (he's now  in California) suggested that my wife put a hole in a Pacifier, so DD could get air by sucking on the Pacifier, as she was accustomed to.  If adults have problems with the pressurization in the aircraft, they can try to clear their ears in other ways, but for a young baby, that was what he suggested. We had no problems. There was an issue going through Security in Bogota, with her in her Stroller, for the return flight,  but I do not remember what that was.  

NOTE: i am a former airline employee.  We always purchased a ticket for DD when she was under two years of age and she was in her Approved Car Seat, strapped into her seat belt.  For safety reasons ,I am violently opposed to babies carried in their parents arms.  If the aircraft should get into CAT (Clear Air Turbulence), or, worse,  a Survivable accident, the baby will not survive the impacts. If you do this, PLEASE spend the money and buy a seat for your baby.

Ask your Pediatrician what he or she suggests, regarding a one month old going on that trip. Babies do not have a lot of immunity to protect them from infections.

ETA: Just before she was 6 months old, we made a trip with DD from Cali to Bogota to Atlanta to Las Vegas to Dallas/Ft. Worth to Atlanta to Bogota to Cali. No problems on that trip. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 5

The air travel part - no problem, that's much easier than with a toddler.

I'd be more concerned about the conference part. With a 1 mo old, I was a sleep deprived zombie, and attending a conference would have been completely pointless for me. Also, staying in a hotel with an infant who cried inconsolably for several hours every night would have been very stressful for me - it was bad enough at home.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

The air travel part - no problem, that's much easier than with a toddler.

I'd be more concerned about the conference part. With a 1 mo old, I was a sleep deprived zombie, and attending a conference would have been completely pointless for me. Also, staying in a hotel with an infant who cried inconsolably for several hours every night would have been very stressful for me - it was bad enough at home.

This. DH and I travelled to a professional conference with a 10 wk old. The flights were a breeze. The hotel was the problem. My parents even stayed at the same hotel to watch dd during the day while we attended meetings, and she pretty much cried non-stop. They were so embarrassed when hotel security knocked on their door to see if they needed directions to a pharmacy, etc. And this was during the daytime. After that, they loaded her into the stroller and walked her through the hotel and connected conference center during the days. In hindsight, I should have just stayed home. Maybe if your baby is with you it will go better, but I don't think it would have helped in our situation.(She cried like that for everyone, including me and DH.)

• Like 1

We moved from WA to AZ when my oldest was 4 weeks old.

The flight was 1.5 to 2 hours. I made sure to feed her during take off.

We didn't have any issues.

I don't remember being tired but I'm sure I was since she'd been delivered by c-section 

and I was still recovering. Probably why I don't remember!  :p

• Like 1

Just to offer some hope, I have attended a traning conference and a homeschool conference with two different young babies with no issues.  I mean, it was obviously more work than if I traveled by myself, but it didn't make me miserable or make me unable to focus or get stuff out of the conferences.

It seems like from your OP you're prepared to deal with the individual baby or circumstances you end up with, just wanted to say that it's not always a disaster.

• Like 1

Traveling with newborns is easy but I do like getting them their own seat if possible, if the flight is longer than four hours. My arms get worn out. That's less of an issue if your husband travels with you though. The extra space I tend to use mostly when nursing them as it is more comfortable for me. For shorter trips we just have them as lap babies.

We took DD on a short flight (scheduled time is one hour, actual time in the air is approximately 35 or 40 minutes) when she was 3 months old or just past that. We took her from where we live (Cali, Colombia) to Bogota, Colombia to go to the U.S. Embassy. We waited until then. She was in excellent health. The delay for the trip was a precaution. As I recall, her Pediatrician (he's now in California) suggested that my wife put a hole in a Pacifier, so DD could get air by sucking on the Pacifier, as she was accustomed to. If adults have problems with the pressurization in the aircraft, they can try to clear their ears in other ways, but for a young baby, that was what he suggested. We had no problems. There was an issue going through Security in Bogota, with her in her Stroller, for the return flight, but I do not remember what that was.

NOTE: i am a former airline employee. We always purchased a ticket for DD when she was under two years of age and she was in her Approved Car Seat, strapped into her seat belt. For safety reasons ,I am violently opposed to babies carried in their parents arms. If the aircraft should get into CAT (Clear Air Turbulence), or, worse, a Survivable accident, the baby will not survive the impacts. If you do this, PLEASE spend the money and buy a seat for your baby.

Ask your Pediatrician what he or she suggests, regarding a one month old going on that trip. Babies do not have a lot of immunity to protect them from infections.

ETA: Just before she was 6 months old, we made a trip with DD from Cali to Bogota to Atlanta to Las Vegas to Dallas/Ft. Worth to Atlanta to Bogota to Cali. No problems on that trip.

I bought a seat for my 6 month old to Europe, no problems. I didn't when he was one and we flew east to west coasts in the US. Everything turned out fine, but we did hit some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. He was sitting in the aisle because he needed to crawl around, and just flopped right over. Then I had to get back to my seat with him. It really made me appreciate all the rules about safety (not that I didn't before). They don't always know when turbulence is coming till it's too late. What I thought was a tad bizarre is that on the way back from Europe, they checked to see if my car seat was airline approved, and if it wasn't they said I would have to hold him. Surely even an unapproved car seat is better than baby in arms. It was approved so it was fine.

• Like 2

Last time I flew with a little bitty, the flight attendant told me baby could NOT be in carrier during take-off and landing. I had to be holding baby in arms. Otherwise, easy peasy. Bring extra clothes for everyone and some ziplock bags in case you need stink containment.

This is worth noting. Our worst baby flying experience was taking sleeping babe OUT of the Ergo for takeoff. Plan ahead :)

• Like 1

For what it's worth I've flown with a baby in a wrap and just wrapped my arms around my torso and they were fine with it. The baby was just covered with a blanket draped over the wrap and probably looked like a baby in arms.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I bought a seat for my 6 month old to Europe, no problems. I didn't when he was one and we flew east to west coasts in the US. Everything turned out fine, but we did hit some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. He was sitting in the aisle because he needed to crawl around, and just flopped right over. Then I had to get back to my seat with him. It really made me appreciate all the rules about safety (not that I didn't before). They don't always know when turbulence is coming till it's too late. What I thought was a tad bizarre is that on the way back from Europe, they checked to see if my car seat was airline approved, and if it wasn't they said I would have to hold him. Surely even an unapproved car seat is better than baby in arms. It was approved so it was fine.

Normally, people who do not purchase a ticket for a child under 2 will get away with it, and everything is OK.  Sometimes, in the cockpit, they know, because another flight is at the same altitude they are at, a few minutes ahead of them, and has reported Turbulence to the Controller. Those are the lucky times...  Sometimes, there is absolutely NO advance warning, and the aircraft is in severe CAT (Clear Air Turbulence).  That can be, and sometimes is, fatal, to one or more passengers or crew members.

One can only imagine the horror of a parent losing a child that way. It would be more than tragic...

Here are several examples. 2 of the people, I know personally:  My girlfriend was working as a Flight Attendant, on a Boeing 747, between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Honolulu. The aircraft was over the Pacific Ocean.  They hit CAT.  She was in the aisle, working, when that happened. She told me that she hung onto a seat, with every bit of strength in her body, praying that she could continue to hold onto the seat and not be thrown into the ceiling of the aircraft.  Here's another story: A man I know who flies frequently was in the restroom of the aircraft. I think they were somewhere over South America when this happened.  They got into CAT.  He thought he was going to die, in the restroom of the aircraft.  Years ago, a passenger was killed, I think the aircraft was over Montana or Wyoming at the time, when the aircraft hit CAT.  There are more recent episodes of people being killed or injured, that you will find, if you Google that...

The bottom line is that this is very rare, but that there is extreme risk for a child under 2 who is not in a car seat, if the aircraft hits CAT, or, worse yet, if the aircraft is in a Survivable Accident.  If that were to happen, no matter how much the Mother or Father believes that they could hold onto their child, it would not be possible for them to hold onto their child under those circumstances.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice!  

Biggest problem I see with getting a seat for the baby is that I can't reserve the ticket now -- I have no birth date nor name. Even the sex may change, you never know :) I need to reserve tickets now to get the best price, I guess I can call the airline directly for the 3rd ticket and see what we can do.  

If I can't get a ticket for the baby, would you advise putting baby in a wrap when not nursing/takeoff/landing, would that be a safer alternative than just in arms?  I've never been the most successful wrap person (and 1 month is a little young I think?) but am willing to practice if this would be the best option available.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice!  

Biggest problem I see with getting a seat for the baby is that I can't reserve the ticket now -- I have no birth date nor name. Even the sex may change, you never know :) I need to reserve tickets now to get the best price, I guess I can call the airline directly for the 3rd ticket and see what we can do.  

If I can't get a ticket for the baby, would you advise putting baby in a wrap when not nursing/takeoff/landing, would that be a safer alternative than just in arms?  I've never been the most successful wrap person (and 1 month is a little young I think?) but am willing to practice if this would be the best option available.

If you are not able to buy a seat for the baby and have him/her in a car seat, strapped into the seat belt, then I would suggest a carrier that is on your chest, so you can sit in your seat and the baby will be somewhat more secure, than if you just were holding him/her in your arms. That is incredibly dangerous, in case of CAT, or, worse yet, and much less likely, a survivable accident.

The chances of your flights encountering CAT (Clear Air Turbulence) is enormous, in contrast to the possibility of one of your flights being in an accident, which is a minuscule risk.

• Like 1