Menu

s/o Options (2nd semester) since Landry has closed

I thought I would start a spin-off thread where people can share options for what they are going to do for second semester now that Landry has announced it is closed.

Please add others you are aware of. I'll try to keep the first post updated with new links.

Some of the Landry teachers are gathering on FB to connect with students and families and share information:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519089804771785/

Also, Google Doc where some teacher contact info can be found.

Latin info on teacher found & posted here.

German teacher Faith Cruz posted her contact info here and possibly on Facebook. Her class info can be found here.

Spanish 2 teacher, Sra. Ana Carmona, will finish out the semester. If you need contact info, see this post.

Geoffrey McComb taught a variety of Accounting/Business/Computer classes. Info on him & those classes can be found here. 

Veritas Press is offering their courses for $249 for Spring semester and $50 toward 2017-2018 classes for Landry families. (Live online meeting info in this post & below)

8:00pm EST on 12/29/16 and 8:00pm EST on 1/2/17

To attend click on this link:  https://vpsa.adobeconnect.com/_a1082483207/vsameetingroom/

High School Math Live is offering a deal for second semester for stranded Landry families.

LIVE Online Math is offering several options for Landry families including free access to video courses, a custom transition course or joining an ongoing class. Details in this post.

Writing options

Open Tent Academy will work with Landry families. For a list of spring offerings, look here or here (not sure which one is the correct listing). Make sure to contact the director (info in this post) before signing up for special Landry family pricing.

Attuneup - info posted here.

Excelsior Classes has opened with a list of teachers (seemly mostly from Landry) to try to finish the year.

Jana Bontrager opened Big River Academy where she's offering (for now) mostly her own English classes.

Both "LIVE Online Math" (liveonlinemath.com) and "The Potter's School" (pottersschool.org) have offered for teachers to use their systems for nominal fees so that they can still teach spring classes.

Update:  Potter's School is offering the classroom platform free to current Landry teachers.  Families would pay a registration fee and tuition determined by the teacher.

Intro to Electricity - Interest in the class? See this post.

*INTENSIVES* - especially science - check here as some families are trying to make them work.

Other options:

Schoolhouse Teachers has been mentioned as a source for inexpensive online classes, run by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine people.

Homeschool Connections (Catholic provider - so at least a prayer at the start of class, like Landry did) offer prerecorded classes (called "unlimited access") along with tests and answer keys for $30/month. They have a huge catalog of classes including Latin, German, Spanish and all the typical high school sciences. They also offer live courses (but registration for those closes a week prior to class & their classes start the week of Jan. 9th). Special offer extending registration for live classes (including coupon code for $20 off a live course in this post.)

Art classes:  https://www.iguanaacademy.com/

Ideas for art by Hunter.

Funda Funda Academy (run by WTM boardie merylvdm) offered to help with any courses they offer that you need. They offer Biology 1, Spanish 1 and 2, Photography, Government, Scratch and Python Programming, Computer Applications (Digital Literacy), Economics, World Geography. Email her or PM her.

AIM Academy run by Debra Bell posted some info on their set-up here.

Memoria Press is offering 50% off their Spring courses & will try to work with you on full year courses if they have room in them. (You won't be able to search for the full year courses since they already have up 2017-2018 classes. But, if there is a full year course listed for next year that would help you this year, contact them.) More info in this post.

Some families are going to try to do a teaching co-op on Facebook. More info here.

Groovy Kids offers unique online secular classes. They are offering a limited time discount as listed in this post.

Some free options are listed in this post by 8FilltheHeart and this post by Hunter.

Hillsdale has some online courses for free.

Latin info on teacher found & posted here.

German options can be found here. 

Coursera has a Medical Technology course & many others. Mentioned here.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 10

From Chris L on FB:

I'm so touched by the outpouring of support by the online home-school community.
We have received offers by both "LIVE Online Math" (liveonlinemath.com) and "The Potter's School" (pottersschool.org) to use their systems for nominal fees so that we can still teach our spring classes.
Of course, Greg Landry has written about Veritas (www.VeritasPress.com) as well.
Teachers are busy considering these and other options.
I'm hoping to connect with my students/families about my plan soon.

AND:

Of course, members of our own faculty have gone on to create their own systems so they can continue to teach.

Check out Excelsior Classes (excelsiorclasses.com) and Big River Academy (www.bigriveracademy.com).

• Like 4

Y'all might consider contacting WTMA and see if they'll offer anything. After all, it's affecting a bunch of boardies so they might step up and help as well. 

Linked below is an old thread that has lots of on-line options listed.  If anyone sees anything on that thread that you have used and think might help with the Landry situation in particular, could you post the link to that option plus a brief review on this thread?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499321-talk-to-me-about-online-class-options/page-2?do=findComment&comment=7364554

• Like 2

There is info and a link below from Veritas Press about a conference call Dec. 29 and Jan. 2 re: how they are helping Landry families.

Families of Landry Academy,

We became aware of the difficulties that Landry Academy was
having recently and contacted Greg Landry to see how we might
help in these very difficult times. We have now had several
conversations and emails with Greg Landry as we have discussed
how to make the best of this for everyone.

There is one thing that is clear from our conversations: he is
heartbroken to see this happen and has done everything he knows
to do to avoid it. He is now doing everything he can to help you
in an orderly transition and to minimize the interruption of the
education of your children and to minimize its financial toll on you.

Before going further I should tell you about Veritas. Veritas is nearly
20 years old. We are a curriculum and online course provider for
classical education. Of nearly 100 teachers around 2/3 have
advanced degrees. All of them love teaching.

Learnmore about us at www.VeritasPress.com

When we became aware of this difficulty we sought, with Greg, to
create an outcome that would help you, the teachers and, ultimately
GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Kingdom. There are two direct benefits weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve agreed to offer
you.

1. Extraordinary pricing on second semester courses (spring 2017).
2. A way to use generic credits you have already purchased for
the 2017-18 school year.

For your convenience we have scheduled two identical meetings in
our large online meeting room to share the details. Hopefully, one of
them will fit your schedule. The meetings will take place at:

8:00pm EST on 12/29/16; and

8:00pm EST on 1/2/17

To attend click on this link:

http://vpsa.adobeconnect.com/vsameetingroom/

Then log in as a guest. Enter your first and last name. If you arrive
before the host, a screen will indicate that the host has yet to arrive,
and when the host does arrive, you will be automatically let into the
room.

Please pray for Greg and his wife, this has been a very trying time
for them. Please pray for the teachers, their circumstances vary, no
doubt, but many are dependent on their teaching to pay their bills.
Please pray for all the families and students as plans and changes
are made. Finally, please pray for us at Veritas, that we might do all
we can do to serve you well as we seek to fulfill our mission of
Restoring culture to Christ one young heart and mind at a time.

We look forward to working with you.

Marlin Detweiler
President
Veritas Press, Inc.
1805 Olde Homestead Lane, Lancaster PA 17601
(800) 922-5082
(717) 519-1974
www.VeritasPress.com

• Like 3

Some of the teachers are exploring using the platforms from Live Online Math or Potters School, which have offered that use for nominal fees, in order to continue to teach the classes that they started in August.

There is no easy solution. :(

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

Just posted on FB page:

Have you heard of SchoolHouse Teachers? It is an online source of over 300 classes for all ages. It is run by The 
Old SchoolHouse Magazine. My kids take some courses from it, but I will now be trying to compensate from my losses at Landry with other classes.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

I am updating the first post (as I have time) with all these updates.

[i do not have Facebook & doubt I'll have time to make the Veritas Press meeting tonight, so if someone can post when they have an update, that'd be great.]

• Like 2

This is so sad and also so scary. 

I hope all online schools are assessing their own situations and will learn from this catastrophe. These that are starting brand new right now---how are they hiring teachers--as employees--so quickly? I hope they aren't making the same mistakes.

Anyway, for any teacher from Landry who wants to offer his or her classes through the spring, they should check into Coursesites. It is a free learning management system with lots of perks---including free, live meeting software. I've used it for my physics course for three years. Pass the word on to the teachers you come into contact with. 

:grouphug:

• Like 8

I am updating the first post (as I have time) with all these updates.

[i do not have Facebook & doubt I'll have time to make the Veritas Press meeting tonight, so if someone can post when they have an update, that'd be great.]

Will not be able to make the meeting tonight either but would love to hear what they say.  I will try to make the second one but with weddings and other family events to attend over the next few days I don't know.  If I do, I will post here.

I am so sorry for all of you In this predicament. If you cannot find an affordable option, don't forget about opencourseware (free), seeing if your library has Great Courses lectures (free), Audible has some GC lectures for cheap (I think I paid $5 for some of them.)

If anyone needs help pulling together resources for completing their courses at home, I'd be happy to help and I am sure others would as well.

• Like 8

Depending on what happens with T's teachers, I'm planning on using homeschoolconnectionsonline.com . They offer prerecorded classes along with tests and answer keys for $30/month. They have a huge catalogue of classes including Latin, German, Spanish and all the typical high school sciences.

• Like 5

I looked over the course offerings from Veritas and none of them are what I need. My daughter was doing a creative writing type of class. The only writing type class offered by Veritas also includes Shirley Grammar (Shurley Grammar? Neither spelling looks right....). So, I think I'm going to skip the meeting tonight because none of the offerings with Veritas are really going to fit the bill for what my daughter was wanting in a class. She is very disappointed as she was very excited about this class. 

So I have no idea what to do. I only had one semester of writing planned for her and she was going to do Landry for the second semester. I'm tired of the Writing and Rhetoric books from CAP and wanted something different for this semester before we start The Creative Writer next year. Maybe I should just jump into that book now. 

I just don't know what to say about all the families that had multiple classes planned with Landry or who had multiple generics. I feel just sick for all of them. I only have to worry about one class and it's not a huge deal........but I'm so sad for everyone who is stressed and scrambling. 

Big group hugs to everyone!  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 8

Some libraries offer free subscriptions to Gale courses. The courses run for 6 weeks with 2 lessons a week. Each lesson has a quiz. There is a final exam at the end. A certificate is awarded. last summer, I took a couple novel writing classes and a research class and was pleased with them.

http://solutions.cengage.com/GaleCourses/

Annenberg has video courses. These are free streaming videos. There is no proof of completion. I have used Western Civ and Chemistry. All subjects. These are sometimes even better than the Great Courses. Someone was looking for art? I think there is an art history course.

https://www.learner.org/resources/browse.html

A free writing course based on the book Writing Tools.

http://www.newsu.org/courses/writers-workbench

Udemy has Wheelock and Henle Latin courses. If you put the courses in your wishlist, but don't buy them right away, the prices drop to $10-$15 each. I don't think there is any proof of completion, but I'm not sure.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

If your library has Hoopla, they have some of the Great Courses. My library allows 10 videos a month and has the art and Ancient Greek courses.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 8

I am reeling.  Landry was my main option for my two teens next year.  They are mid year through a Spanish 2 course.  I'm out $1200 in generic semesters.  I had narrowed down options until both teens would be taking three courses at LA next year.

There are many places trying to take in teachers and many teachers still trying to find places to go.  I am hopeful that by mid-next week quite a few more will have homes elsewhere or students will have more options at least.  I hope people will continue to post here as changes and additions occur.  Hopefully some will work for you.  

And yes, losing existing classes and generics stinks to high heaven.

• Like 3

I looked over the course offerings from Veritas and none of them are what I need. My daughter was doing a creative writing type of class. The only writing type class offered by Veritas also includes Shirley Grammar (Shurley Grammar? Neither spelling looks right....). So, I think I'm going to skip the meeting tonight because none of the offerings with Veritas are really going to fit the bill for what my daughter was wanting in a class. She is very disappointed as she was very excited about this class. 

So I have no idea what to do. I only had one semester of writing planned for her and she was going to do Landry for the second semester. I'm tired of the Writing and Rhetoric books from CAP and wanted something different for this semester before we start The Creative Writer next year. Maybe I should just jump into that book now. 

I just don't know what to say about all the families that had multiple classes planned with Landry or who had multiple generics. I feel just sick for all of them. I only have to worry about one class and it's not a huge deal........but I'm so sad for everyone who is stressed and scrambling. 

Big group hugs to everyone!  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Maybe BraveWriter would be a possibility for your writer? http://www.bravewriter.com/online-classes

• Like 2

I was planning on Landry for Spanish IV for my dd next year. Does anyone know of other options for Spanish IV that aren't too expensive? I've looked at the other links up-thread and can only see Spanish I and II listed in their course catalogs.

• Like 1

Any average-ish (not rigorous) recs for online British lit or world lit high school English?

What about Center for Lit? We haven't done an online class but I have a couple of their DVD courses. If you like their style you might check them out. 

What about Center for Lit? We haven't done an online class but I have a couple of their DVD courses. If you like their style you might check them out.

Thank you for this rec! I had not thought of it, and both of my students have completed Windows to the World so the style should be familiar to them. Putting it on the short list.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

That's pretty generous. I only paid $50 or so for the last batch of generics I bought. Veritas is a lot more per course but at least I would recoup all the Landry money.

$50 towards one course at regular price.  One generic redeemable per course.  Only good for 2017-2018 school year.  I think it depends on how many generic semesters you have banked.   ;)  They don't have to do anything, so anything is generous, but still difficult for those who have money out in many generic semesters.

ETA:  I will say that many people were quite rude to VP.  I think emotions were running high today for all involved with Landry.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

I am reeling. Landry was my main option for my two teens next year. They are mid year through a Spanish 2 course. I'm out $1200 in generic semesters. I had narrowed down options until both teens would be taking three courses at LA next year.

I saw the Spanish teacher on FB page

Ashley kae Stickel:

https://m.facebook.com/ashley.stickel?fref=nf&ref=bookmarks

Edited by historymatters

I saw the Spanish teacher on FB page

Ashley Stickel:

https://m.facebook.com/ashley.stickel?fref=nf&ref=bookmarks

I think someone is teaching Spanish at Excelsior.

Both Lynda Trotter and Ana Carmona are determining next steps as well. Here is Lynda's post https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519089804771785/permalink/1519205871426845/

ETA: They are putting together a list of teachers and where they will be now, as they get the information in. They are encouraging teachers to edit the document. People that know where teachers are can also edit the document, but told not to put in personal emails unless the teacher themself has already posted in the public forum. I hope this link works https://www.facebook.com/notes/1519089804771785/Next%20place%20to%20land..life%20after%20Landry%20/1519404981406934/

ETA 2: wrong link. It looks like it was removed. Maybe because of personal emails. 

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I was planning on Landry for Spanish IV for my dd next year. Does anyone know of other options for Spanish IV that aren't too expensive? I've looked at the other links up-thread and can only see Spanish I and II listed in their course catalogs.

What about HomeschoolSpanishAcademy?

• Like 1

I run FundaFundaAcademy - we don't have nearly as many classes offered as Landry, but if any of you need help with the ones we do offer, I will work with our teachers and give you the best deal we can if you already purchased from Landry. If your children are 1/2 way through a full year course and the teacher isn't continuing we will work with you so they can transition to the second semester of our full year courses.

We have classes for Biology 1, Spanish 1 and 2, Photography, Government, Scratch and Python Programming, Computer Applications (Digital Literacy), Economics, World Geography.

Either pm me or email me (you can find the email on our website)

Edited by merylvdm
  • Like 5

For those of us using Latin Alive, not sure who can help.  I have reached out to WHA, Schole Academy for those who use that curriculum but not holding my breath. Any other ideas I haven't thought of?  VP is not going to work for us and the other mentioned in previous posts use Wheelocks too.  :(  Anyone else out there looking to figure out Latin?  Might end up having to switch but to what?  Other options are Henle and going MP route...but how do they compare?  Uhh!!  Any thoughts would be great for those up on their Latin more than I.  :)

A possible option for some: Hillsdale's online courses. https://www.hillsdale.edu/academics/online-courses/  The price is right.  :hurray:

They're also in the midst of a Shakespeare teaching series currently (on Lecture 6). Should be posted on the site when complete.

Also the one from Prof. Connor from GC is excellent: How to Read and Understand Shakespeare.

For those of us using Latin Alive, not sure who can help.  I have reached out to WHA, Schole Academy for those who use that curriculum but not holding my breath. Any other ideas I haven't thought of?  VP is not going to work for us and the other mentioned in previous posts use Wheelocks too.  :(  Anyone else out there looking to figure out Latin?  Might end up having to switch but to what?  Other options are Henle and going MP route...but how do they compare?  Uhh!!  Any thoughts would be great for those up on their Latin more than I.  :)

Veritas Press uses LA I in their Latin Transitions 1 class, and LA II in the Latin Transitions 2 class. I can't afford this option. 

Besides, my son was in Latin 1A-only covering the first 16 chapters for the full year. My plan was to then put him in 1B for the remaining chapters in 17/18 and Latin II the following year. I don't know of any other forum which breaks it down with that slower-paced option and I don't think anyone has heard from her, yet.

On the FB page for teachers, word has been sent out for her attention, so I am waiting. Either way, I think I'm going to have to get the DVDs and the CD-or find the pronunciations at Quizlet (but do I want to take that time?) Thankfully, I already own the TG. I have the syllabus for 2nd semester; wish I had 1B's, but oh well. I suppose it's not rocket science to map out the last half of the book for 17/18. However, I need to save up for WHA, Schole's, or VP's Latin Alive 2 class, if another doesn't pop up by then, or maybe we'll continue. I don't know. I just need to look focus on finishing out his 2nd. Semester.

I'll post if Elizabeth Thomas shows up...

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 2

Anyone had their child in the Intermediate Art class? I was contacted by the Intro to Art teacher, but after comparing syllabi, she thinks my dd is too advanced. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'll keep looking at the free options posted above. Didn't really have time yesterday.

BTW, my dd already uses Youtube "How to..." videos, but she needs more order and accountability. My co-op hasn't the option. My dd really didn'[t care too much for the Artistic Pursuits style.  :banghead:

Thanks

Dr. Sonya Brouillette sent out information that she is trying to reorganize her science classes and the camp she had scheduled for May, but she leaves on a trip in just a couple of days.  She may need to start classes mid-January instead of January 9th and is not yet solid on where or when her classes will occur.  She seems committed to making them happen, though.

• Like 1

Anyone had their child in the Intermediate Art class? I was contacted by the Intro to Art teacher, but after comparing syllabi, she thinks my dd is too advanced. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'll keep looking at the free options posted above. Didn't really have time yesterday.

BTW, my dd already uses Youtube "How to..." videos, but she needs more order and accountability. My co-op hasn't the option. My dd really didn'[t care too much for the Artistic Pursuits style.  :banghead:

Thanks

I was hoping Tim Chambers could help you out.  I am linking his art place below.   He left Landry a while back to help Iguana paint.  He was an excellent teacher.  DD learned a lot from him.  However, it looks like there are only beginner classes offered at this time.  I am linking it anyway in case it might help someone else.  If I think of anything else or hear from anyone I will post.

https://www.iguanaacademy.com/