Menu

s/o Options (2nd semester) since Landry has closed

(Very) temporarily suspending ads ONLY for threads affecting Landry Academy families. Lots of advertising in this thread but will allow it for the moment.

Also check out wtmacademy.com.  :)

SWB

(Very) temporarily suspending ads ONLY for threads affecting Landry Academy families. Lots of advertising in this thread but will allow it for the moment.

Also check out wtmacademy.com.   :)

SWB

Thanks!  It's keeping me in the know particularly since I am not on facebook.   :)

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 1

FYI, for Latin this is the email I got from the teacher Mrs. Thomas.  If you need her email address and have not heard from her directly you can PM and I will get it to you.  I haven't heard anything since Sunday when I got this but if anyone needs more info can post.  :)  Hope she can pull it off!

Dear Families & Students of Latin IA, IB & II,

Thank you for your patience and kind emails (and some phone messages!) It was my son's 7th birthday and I tried to keep it as normal as possible (while trying not to panic!)  This group email list was retrieved for me and I am very grateful to be able to send some sort of communication to you. 
I have been trying to salvage my saved pages of assignments and assessments. I had downloaded the class grade books, so I can send Fall semester grades to you. Some students were still in the middle of finishing assignments. I am not sure if anyone is still able to login and interact with the class pages at this point. I may have to send midterm makeup assignments by email.

How to continue for the Spring semester:
I am willing to continue teaching the Latin classes, right where we left off, and I hope to be able to start the week of 1/9/17.  I am hoping to keep to the same Tuesday and Thursday schedule as well.   I have been trying to put together classes for my oldest daughter, so I am sensitive to the fact that parents had already paid for classes and now have to pay more money to continue them.  So, I am looking at the best options for continuing our classes at the most affordable choices.  (I have been working without pay, like other Landry teachers, but realistically the electric and internet bills still need to be paid to stay online.  The real reason of course is the wonderful students.)
So, there have been several options offered for Landy families. A problem specific to our Latin classes is that NONE of the options use the same textbooks Latin Alive I and II, and it would be very difficult for students to switch half year to another curriculum (vocabulary, grammar, translations.)  I am looking at the hosting platforms to see who can host our classes reliably, at the best cost, and still have control over using our same textbooks for continuity.

I read on fb that Greg Landry approached Veritas Press Scholars Academy as an alternative. Veritas has an excellent reputation, but they are expensive. Students would be enrolled in Veritas classes with Veritas, not Landry teachers, and using Veritas curriculum. For Latin, they are not using the same textbook Latin Alive, so that would be a significant problem midyear. Personal note: I know a mom whose son was in Veritas online for algebra and loved it, but again, she said it was very expensive.  

Potters School uses their own system (not Haiku Super Power Learning), but they generously offered Landry teachers free space to teach with a reduced enrollment fee for families. The drawback here is that teachers seem to be concerned that we can't recreate a full semester on a new system in a week's time, and that once the semester is over those classes stay on Potters School site (which is not yet hiring Landry teachers. It's on an as-needed basis. And like everyone else, they do not use the same Latin textbooks.) Personal note: I know a mom whose daughter took French with Potters and loved it, midrange on pricing. 

Some teachers have joined Excelsior Academy as independent contractors, and they are using the same classes as they taught at Landry (so I am hoping this means Haiku Super Power Learning.) Excelsior seems like a solid option because it was started by a Landry teacher (Jodi Guerra, you'd see her name at the bottom of the class powerpoint slide template) and has Susan Gleason, who was the chair of the Foreign Language Department, and other Landry teachers. They offered a reduced fee of $120.

Big River Academy is a start up for some teachers (not sure of their learning platform) and I think they are asking $150.

Virtual Homeschooling Group has generously offered free classroom space with recordings (I think it's the old Blackboard collaborative we used before Adobe) linked to private teacher Haiku Super Power Learning accounts. The fee is by donation to VHSG and some payment to the teachers. The rest is free. This may be a good enough option for Spring semester, as some teachers are already setting it up and it could be ready in a week for classes to start on time. Our classes would be the same with Haiku weekly pages and assignments, and a weekly live classroom meeting, and a saved recording.  VHSG is run by dedicated volunteers, so with their other classes, you get out of it what you put into it.  My oldest daughter is signed up for the 'at your own pace" Saxon algebra, so this requires significant parental involvement to keep students on track.

Classical Learning Resource Center and Scholars Online posted that they offer Latin courses, but with their teachers and different textbooks than Latin Alive.

There are a few smaller sites like funcation academy ($25-50 per month), classesbybethplus ($42 a month, I think and they could host), open tent academy (starting up Spring 2017, offering 50% off their classes, possible hosting) and homeschoolworks4u (they posted a need for a Latin I teacher and they might host Landry classes.)

I just got the link for Virtual Homeshooling Group, so I am trying it out this weekend.  I am waiting to hear back from Excelsior.  I will email as soon as I can with more information.

And for those of you who are getting the information in drips and drabs, here is what I know:
The last official emails I received from Landry were about enrollment (my children) and encouragement for the Spring semester, and then an abrupt cancellation notice for teachers, saying that Landry had reached the end of their resources.  In November, teachers' weekly pay was reduced to 20%, and then it simply stopped, and we were emailed that it would catch up to us in January.  We were encouraged to plan for the Spring semester, and that everything would be running smoothly. 
I rarely spend time on facebook, so I was a little slow to read the news. Landry has closed, the main page is down, our gmail accounts are closed, and teachers have little or no access to the class pages. As far as I have read, Greg Landry had to pay a large tax fine to the IRS for having teachers as independent contractors instead of employees, and his legal representation thought the case would be settled in his favor, but it was not.  The Landry farm and property is for sale at auction.  He is not returning emails or communicating.  Some of the long time teachers have set up a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519089804771785/  and it is called Jeremiah 17:8 Homeschool Online Cooperative, so that families can connect with teachers.

My email inbox has been very busy. I appreciate all of your emails and encouragement. God is sovereign over all things.
Blessings for a Happy New Year, 
Elizabeth Thomas
  • Like 2

Thanks RootAnn. Still looking for a free option for second semester Survey of American Literature. One of our kids was halfway through with Jess Woods class. She was the English chair at Landry and we can't continue with her for $140.

Is this a high school level course? Pm me if so. I have a suggestion.
  • Like 2

Okay, I'm trying to keep the first post updated with options & contact info. It is getting pretty hard to wade through.

Is there anyone else who is still looking for a continuing course, a teacher, or a free option for something they were taking or plan on taking? That way, people can see if they can help your specific needs.

Special thanks to those who are cross-posting from Facebook. Some of us aren't on there & we appreciate the spreading of the news. Hopefully, if people on FB don't have the same info we have on here, y'all are cross-posting with a link to this thread, too.  :grouphug:

I did see someone cross-post on FB to this thread a day or so ago. I can post again when I'm on later today.

• Like 1

In case anyone is looking for Mr Dally, ASL teacher, he posted on the Facebook page. Additionally, he sent out class registration information emails tonight if you are interested in continuing with him for Spring semester for ASL. Classes start next week! :)  If you need his email address, please PM me. Happy to help. Or you can check the Facebook page and just search "dally" -- posts about his classes and his personal comments will be displayed. He doesn't have everyone's email addresses so you will probably need to email him in order to receive a registration email.....

I paid $748.00 in advance without enrolling my student in the Landry classes yet (because these credits were for future classes) and now I am out this money I paid in advance with NOTHING to show for it. For my family, that was a major investment in my student's education.

My student was excited to begin keyboarding class this week in our homeschool so he could participate in the upcoming Landry classes. :sad:

Purchase Confirmation                                                              Date: 6/25/2016

Landry Academy

PO Box 5

Duck River, TN 38454

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your purchase:

Eli,________ 5702 Generic Online Class Semesters Summer 2017 and beyond (02) Two Generic Online Class Semesters Summer 2017 and beyond UPCOMING $780.00

Coupon Redeemed:

Credit Applied: $32.00

Amount Paid:  $748.00 

In addition, I paid for myself and 3 other homeschool moms to attend a discounted Mom's Science Retreat for March 2017, which will not be happening now.

:confused:

What recourse do I have?

Edited by Merry Poppins

I paid $748.00 in advance without enrolling my student in the Landry classes yet (because these credits were for future classes) and now I am out this money I paid in advance with NOTHING to show for it. For my family, that was a major investment in my student's education.

My student was excited to begin keyboarding class this week in our homeschool so he could participate in the upcoming Landry classes. :sad:

In addition, I paid for myself and 3 other homeschool moms to attend a discounted Mom's Science Retreat for March 2017, which will not be happening now.

:confused:

What recourse do I have?

You can try contacting your credit card and disputing the charge, if you paid by CC.  We paid by check and have no recourse.  There is a lot written about this on the other thread: Landry Financial Problems.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

There is a lot written about this on the other thread: Landry Financial Problems.

Could you please post a link to that thread? I did a search of the forums and it didn't show up. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind... found it here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632893-landry-academy-financial-problems/

Edited by Merry Poppins

There is a cross-post of the thread you linked that might be a better one to follow:  X-post Landry Academy Financial Problems.

Some credit cards will allow you to try to dispute a charge longer than six months - especially if it is a "service." You'll want screen shots, copies of emails, anything to prove you paid for a service and didn't receive it.

I don't know if you'll be successful, but you can certainly try. Contact your credit card company to ask them to help you. The group who did a "group buy" of 100 credits in September is disputing their charge, but won't know for a couple more months if it is successful (from what I've been told) because Landry has a window of time where they can fight the dispute. Plus, Landry doesn't have the money to give refunds, so I'm assuming the credit card company would have to cover the loss.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone, 
I just found out about this tragedy a few days ago and have been thinking about everyone a lot. My heart goes out to all the teachers and families whose lives are topsy-turvy right now. And suddenly I had a thought, a way that I could easily help:  

I manage The Harvey Center, which is an association of tutors. We are very small this year, and so aren't using a lot of our online meeting account's potential. It would thrill me to be able to help with that part by providing free hosting of your class for the rest of this school year.

I realize that most of you teachers are getting your former Landry classes set up again at places like Big River. But if any of you former LA teachers need a free platform from which to teach this semester and for some reason don't want to join up with one of the new groups, I will be glad to talk to you about using our Wiziq account free for the remainder of the year. It just so happens that I have many tracks available and it's all paid for. This program works very much like GotoMeeting or Adobe Connect; it has an interactive white board, chat, microphone, and video.

I'm hoping to add lots of courses in the summer and the fall, so I'll be needing the conferencing power back at that point. But then you could consider becoming formally associated with us! We are independent tutors, who work together and support each other--we're not employees.

Just send me a private message telling me what class you were teaching and how many students you have. It would be easy for me to set you up, and I could even provide a webpage with all of your information. :)

Edited by Beth in Mint Hill
  • Like 8

Wow. Thank you Beth for your very generous offer.  I've forwarded your post to the FB page where Landry teachers and families are trying to connect regarding the spring semester.  The link to the FB group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519089804771785/ if you want to add more info than what's provided here.

Hello Everyone, 
I just found out about this tragedy a few days ago and have been thinking about everyone a lot. My heart goes out to all the teachers and families whose lives are topsy-turvy right now. And suddenly I had a thought, a way that I could easily help:  

I manage The Harvey Center, which is an association of tutors. We are very small this year, and so aren't using a lot of our online meeting account's potential. It would thrill me to be able to help with that part by providing free hosting of your class for the rest of this school year.

I realize that most of you teachers are getting your former Landry classes set up again at places like Big River. But if any of you former LA teachers need a free platform from which to teach this semester and for some reason don't want to join up with one of the new groups, I will be glad to talk to you about using our Wiziq account free for the remainder of the year. It just so happens that I have many tracks available and it's all paid for. This program works very much like GotoMeeting or Adobe Connect; it has an interactive white board, chat, microphone, and video.

I'm hoping to add lots of courses in the summer and the fall, so I'll be needing the conferencing power back at that point. But then you could consider becoming formally associated with us! We are independent tutors, who work together and support each other--we're not employees.

Just send me a private message telling me what class you were teaching and how many students you have. It would be easy for me to set you up, and I could even provide a webpage with all of your information. :)

• Like 4

I'm still looking for a replacement for Medieval history (High School).  My dd's teacher decided not to continue and the online format was a great option for us.  Her teacher was the only one teaching that and there was only one section.  She used the BJU press textbook which was divided nicely for each time period.

Any suggestions?   I have not found any other online schools that offer that.

Thanks.

I'm still looking for a replacement for Medieval history (High School).  My dd's teacher decided not to continue and the online format was a great option for us.  Her teacher was the only one teaching that and there was only one section.  She used the BJU press textbook which was divided nicely for each time period.

Thanks.

WTMA offers this.  Probably not with the same materials and it normally runs Sept to May but there is a delayed version.  I don't know how that works on WTMA.  Maybe it is recorded and your daughter could do the recorded version?  Or join mid-year at a reduced price?

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/classes/history-medieval-world/

https://wtma.orbund.com/einstein-freshair/scartma/available_class_list_by_course.jsp?subjectid=4007599&pageType=0&id=66

• Like 2

Thanks.

Not online, but there are three lecture series on the Middle Ages by Philip Daileader through The Great Courses/Teaching Company which are excellent - Early Middle Ages, High Middle Ages, Late Middle Ages.  Your library might have them, and Audible has them for very low prices. 

• Like 2

I was wondering if you were considering adding more Spanish classes next year? I'm looking for Spanish IV for next year and have had 1 suggestion up-thread but all the other places offering classes suggested earlier seem to stop at Spanish II.

I checked in with our Spanish teacher and she is going to offer Spanish 3 in 2017/18 and Spanish 4 the following - so sorry, can't help for next year.

We do have a special landing page for Landry people now - http://www.fundafundaacademy.com/go/landrya/

We will give discounts based on how much was paid originally and how much each teacher has offered to do. We will also forgo our admin costs . This will apply for now and for 2017/2018. We are happy to accept generics for any of our classes.

• Like 3

German options

Oklahoma State University German Online program.  They have placement tests, but it probably would not work to try to test into the middle of a level.  This is a pretty good German program.  Not specifically for homeschoolers, but has worked well with them in the past.

Deutsche Welle German Courses - Free online courses.  Placement took to help you figure out what level is most appropriate.  These resources are designed for adults or young adults. Content might be less interesting or appropriate for younger students.  http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469

BBC Learn German courses and podcasts.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/

The Well-Trained Mind Academy has a few openings for Spring 2017 in our German 1 class. Academy policy is to allow withdraws with full tuition refund up to one month into the semester, and we also offer monthly payment plans.

Please email us at [email protected] for more information.

-Elizabeth Weber Edwards, German instructor 

Possibly some students who were formerly taking Landry Academy courses will find an option with a course from TTUISD. Their "Online" courses are Asynchronous, which is a lot different than a Synchronous course.   

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but creativelive.com is having a sale on pre-recorded live classes, including some for Photoshop and other courses that could potentially be useful for a career.  The sale ends today.  Sorry I didn't post sooner.  I just got sent the info today.  

Also, they are starting some new live classes.  I think sometimes those are free.

https://www.creativelive.com/about

• Like 1

To follow up on Elizabeth's posts...can I address concerns that many families now have about online instruction?

We opened The Well-Trained Mind Academy three years ago, as the next logical development of the services we offer here at the Well-Trained Mind companies. The Academy  (www.wtmacademy.com) is financially stable and CPA-supervised. Our highly-qualified faculty is properly compensated, because teaching is a skilled and valuable profession. The Academy offers a generous refund policy; all students are able to withdraw after the first month with a full tuition refund. We also offer interest-free payment plans so that tuition is not due in a single lump.

The Well-Trained Mind Academy is now taking mid-year registrations for our history, literature, and writing classes. Students are welcome to register for full-year courses at mid-year if parents feel they would benefit from the second semester (no testing or pre-reqs). Our one-semester courses in study skills, advanced grammar, and Socratic discussion also have available seats. 

Our classes are live and interactive, conducted on Blackboard (great preparation for college!), with full grading and instructor reports. Our Dean, Dr. Julia Kaziewicz Collier (julia@welltrainedmind.com) is more than happy to answer any academic questions you might have.

SWB

To follow up on Elizabeth's posts...can I address concerns that many families now have about online instruction?

We opened The Well-Trained Mind Academy three years ago, as the next logical development of the services we offer here at the Well-Trained Mind companies. The Academy  (www.wtmacademy.com) is financially stable and CPA-supervised. Our highly-qualified faculty is properly compensated, because teaching is a skilled and valuable profession. The Academy offers a generous refund policy; all students are able to withdraw after the first month with a full tuition refund. We also offer interest-free payment plans so that tuition is not due in a single lump.

The Well-Trained Mind Academy is now taking mid-year registrations for our history, literature, and writing classes. Students are welcome to register for full-year courses at mid-year if parents feel they would benefit from the second semester (no testing or pre-reqs). Our one-semester courses in study skills, advanced grammar, and Socratic discussion also have available seats. 

Our classes are live and interactive, conducted on Blackboard (great preparation for college!), with full grading and instructor reports. Our Dean, Dr. Julia Kaziewicz Collier ([email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>) is more than happy to answer any academic questions you might have.

SWB

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Several more providers have posted information that they'd like to help Landry students. Wilson Hill has a (weird - my opinion) survey posted to current families.

Center for Lit says to contact them if you are still looking for literature classes. (They have American Lit, but it will probably be more $ than continuing with the Landry teacher.)

If you find a class that might work, but is too much $$, I think it is worth contacting the provider to see if you can get a discount due to the Landry closing. Good luck to all who are still looking!

• Like 3

Several more providers have posted information that they'd like to help Landry students. Wilson Hill has a (weird - my opinion) survey posted to current families.

I agree, I contacted Wilson Hill on my own to see if they could help us out any.  They informed me that I would have to pay the full $600 for a half of a semester!  :eek:  I declined!  Thankfully, our current teacher came through for us.  Just fyi thought that was pretty steep for a class already in session, too much for us!!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!,

I am the Director of Memoria Press Online Academy. We are truly sad to hear about the situation at Landry Academy. We would like to offer a 50% discount on all Spring 2017 classes to families from Landry. You can see those classes here and all you have to do is enter LANDRY at checkout. You can see all of our Spring 2017 classes here: https://goo.gl/7QyBW3

We are also glad to have Landry Academy students join some of our existing full-year classes, we'll just need to check enrollment. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at onlineacademy@memoriapress.com and I'll be glad to help.

All the best,

Scott Piland
Director
Memoria Press Online Academy

https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/

Edited by scottmpiland@gmail.com
  • Like 2

In case anyone is still interested in enrolling with some of the former Landry Academy teachers that ended up using Excelsior as their platform, registration ended today at noon ET and classes start Monday...if you have not yet registered and wanted to, please contact them ASAP or they may not let you register.

http://excelsiorclasses.com/classes/#spring17

Open Tent Academy has registration open until January 20th I think.

http://www.iewwritingteacher.com/registration-table

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone is interested in asynchronous classes, but we are offering English, literature, writing, psychology and music history and theory if there is enough interest. There will still be an option for live guided group study sessions, but we are trying to offer these classes at a very reasonable price for homeschooling families. Thus no extra equipment needed :) For discussion we will be using private message boards on the school system, and assignments and videos will be posted there.

The website is www.jolivaden.com

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
34 minutes ago, Thatpersonyes said:

Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware bc i was shocked by.this after several recommendations. I do not want someone else to go through this.

Her name is Eva Lynn Goldstein-Meola. She is the founder of Open Tent Academy. She handles most the classes there. I am posting this bc someone recommended her and i mean you may use her. I hope you form your opinions. This is my experience  I tried tutoring with her. She knew how many kids from the start, said she def would not charge me what she normally does and she offered a price and I agreed. Started, trying to get used to it. She was upset we didnt do stuff that was not in her directions. She brought up how she did me a favor on the price and she didnt know it was 4 kids. I have emails proving otherwise. When i asked her to have patience and please send clear directions. She dropped us. Blamed it on my disabilities being difficult. Honestly through 6 diff email exchanges she gave different excuses, every time after I disputed her and said thats not what was said. 

I thought we really clicked with her and she engaged my kids and I liked how she taught. Yes it was a lot of IEW and I dont understand the importance of KWOs. But she seemed really nice and like she knew what she was doing. I never got to find out.  I wish she was accomodating for people with disabilities and also stuck to her agreement. 

I think she was just looking for a way out bc she regretted charging me what she did. She brought it up in several emails. I didnt see her dropping us for that. I mean it was even her that came up with the amount. Sucks. Id post the screenshots of the emails but it wont let me. 

You need to stop posting about this. You are unhappy but it feels wrong to me that you are dredging up old posts so you can talk badly about this teacher. It’s different if someone is asking. No one is. 

• Like 1