Menu

Vent: Vaccination Pricing

goldberry

DD needed her TDAP booster.  She had an appointment scheduled at our regular family doctor, but not to see the doctor, just for the nurse to give the shot.  She wanted a flu shot also so I told her to go ahead and ask for it.  I gave her my cc to pay.

The bill was $197!!  I started looking online, and Walgreens offers TDAP booster for about $65 and flu shots for $30-35.

I'm on the phone now, but so far they are saying, "yeah, we just charge more...."  I know last year we paid $35 for the flu shot there.  So really, the TDAP was $162??  I could even see $20 more than Walgreens... but $100 more?  For one vaccination?

How stupid that I didn't price shop, but I had no idea my family doctor was going to be price-gouging..  :glare:  I'm on hold-hell right now...

Back with #1 child, the doctor's office had me down for "no insurance." The bill for her vaccinations was something like $50 for five - including administration. When I pointed out that we did have insurance, the new bill was for something just over $500. Every single vaccine went up by leaps and bounds and the admin charges went out the window. My insurance paid every dime of the $500. 

Same exact service, completely different prices.

I bet the difference in price is because they CAN charge that much through your insurance.

• Like 4

That's pretty typical. Our state passed a bill relating to this very topic, to subsidize the fees for vaccines by the state for children to increase access. Unfortunately the offices can still charge a storage and administration fee and it's usually at least $20 per vaccine for a normal pediatric office, which can add up when you're getting a bunch done at once.

It makes it essentially free at public health and most of the larger chains, thankfully, as well as schools. But I was annoyed they got around the legislation for what amounts to a 10 cent syringe, refrigerators they already paid for, and three minutes of office time I'm already being billed for!

I got mine for free at the pharmacy. The insurance will pay for the entire thing if you do that. BUT the pharmacy won't do kids so I had to pay for both kids. $40 total.

Yeah, corporate policy limits the age of vaccine administration in a lot of those chains even though their pharmacists are usually trained and certified to administer vaccines either through their schooling, CE course, or both. It really varies and some will do some ages (3+) and some not any juveniles at all.

I got mine for free at the pharmacy.  The insurance will pay for the entire thing if you do that.  BUT the pharmacy won't do kids so I had to pay for both kids.  $40 total. 

I checked and it starts from age 16 at the pharmacy here, so the kids and I were able to go.  Husband and Mum got it for free at the doctor (she's ancient and he has asthma).  

• Like 1

Wow! I did have to pay $15 once for my DS to get a shot of something at our dr office, but that was because they don't actually have a nurse to give injections. The dr (who is really a PA) gives the shots and that costs us more.

In our area, the local public school gives immunizations free to all students, even stuff like flu that is not required to attend school.

I've been taking the kids to target for flu shots, just because it's easier than making an appointment. That is fairly inexpensive. I've also done Costco-- I think that was $15.

I'm now on different insurance than the kids (they are on dh plan, I just qualified for insurance through work this year). My plan has shots for free (HMO).

I had that happen once too. I think it was a dTAP even. After changing insurance and networks, we continued to go to the same pediatrician with ds who had some long term health issues. We set him up with an in-network dr too, but went to the Dr. that knew his whole story for checkups and issues that related. They told me he was due a tetanus booster and I said go ahead. It cost over $200! I was so mad they didn't tell me that before they gave it! They knew we were out of network and would have to pay. I could have gotten it free at his in-network doctor's office.  :svengo:

Back with #1 child, the doctor's office had me down for "no insurance." The bill for her vaccinations was something like $50 for five - including administration. When I pointed out that we did have insurance, the new bill was for something just over $500. Every single vaccine went up by leaps and bounds and the admin charges went out the window. My insurance paid every dime of the $500. 

Same exact service, completely different prices.

I bet the difference in price is because they CAN charge that much through your insurance.

Bunny trail alert :-) 

This is one example of why we need to reconnect the consumer with health care costs in order to lower the costs for everyone involved.   To be honest, I'm guilty of not price shopping.  We use Walgreen's Pharmacy since it's close and convenient.  Although they're an expensive pharmacy, it doesn't change the out of pocket cost for us.  I also don't shop for medical services beyond whether they are in network or not.  

Here is a list of what the shots actually cost the doctors or clinics. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/awardees/vaccine-management/price-list/ There are two prices, one is what the CDC pays the manufacturers for the Vaccines for Children program (free vaccines for kids who have no health insurance, also for those on Medicaid). The other is what the manufacturer charges a doctor or other private service (CVS, Walgrens, Target). 

Vaccines at places like Target or CVS are loss-leaders for them. They are often losing money on the vaccine because they know people are likely to "just stop and get something" when they are there. 

At a flu clinic in our office we charge $20 plus a admin fee (I think it's $10 or $15). We make no money off the vaccine itself. The admin fee covers the cost of paying the nurses, office staff, doctors, overhead on the office, etc. When people say "it's just a shot, plus the syringe" they tend to forget all the other costs. 

I do think the prices at the OP office sound high. But I will say insurance is so wacko that often we do charge what we know they will pay. They don't pay for so much stuff that it becomes a game of charging as much as we can get for other things. 

• Like 5

Costs are terrible. I paid $250 for antibiotic ear drops for my hubby. Ouch!!

FYI, for this there is an alternative. There are drops that have the same antibiotic that are generic that are for the eye but can be used in the ear. You can't use the ear ones in the eye, but you can the other way around. The eye ones don't have a steroid in them (the most commonly prescribed ear one does). The steroid helps sooth the pain a bit faster but doesn't do anything for the infection itself. And the eye drops are very cheap. For me, the ear ones were around $200 and the eye ones were $2. Yes, that's TWO dollars. 

That may only be rubbing salt in the pain of overpaying for you...but maybe it will help someone else reading the thread. 

• Like 8

I get the flu shot done at the pharmacy. It's not subsidised by the NHS and I only paid £7, which is about USD10.

Mine is free because I have asthma but most people in NZ either pay full price (or often their employer does) or don't get it. Kids vaccines are free if on the list (chickenpox isn't and some are only when there has been a recent outbreak).

FYI, for this there is an alternative. There are drops that have the same antibiotic that are generic that are for the eye but can be used in the ear. You can't use the ear ones in the eye, but you can the other way around. The eye ones don't have a steroid in them (the most commonly prescribed ear one does). The steroid helps sooth the pain a bit faster but doesn't do anything for the infection itself. And the eye drops are very cheap. For me, the ear ones were around $200 and the eye ones were $2. Yes, that's TWO dollars. 

That may only be rubbing salt in the pain of overpaying for you...but maybe it will help someone else reading the thread. 

The pharmacy won't just switch one for the other.  Do you have access to antibiotics without prescription where you live?  Or would the doctor write the prescription for the other drops? 

I wish I had known that. At the time I didn't really have time to figure all of it out. We had just come back from vacation and my hubby was in a lot of pain. He is now having to have surgery right after Christmas because of his perforated eardrum. So yay! We get to pay for that too! And he has to be put under which is totally freaking me out. As is the thought of sitting with six kids in the waiting room. I still haven't figured out childcare help and we have zero family close and most people I would ask will be out of town. But that's a totally different story. Next time I'll know to push hard about alternatives.

• Like 1

Yeah, corporate policy limits the age of vaccine administration in a lot of those chains even though their pharmacists are usually trained and certified to administer vaccines either through their schooling, CE course, or both. It really varies and some will do some ages (3+) and some not any juveniles at all.

The guy claimed it was a state regulation. 

:grouphug:  Sorry you have to go through all that. Hope it all goes through well with the surgery.

One thing I always tell patients is that I have no idea what meds cost. I know some that are really expensive but often it varies so much by insurance plan that I don't know what their particular prescription will cost. I always tell them to call our office if it's expensive and we can find a cheaper alternative. When you are at the pharmacy you can just say no to a medication after you find out the price and ask the pharmacist to call your doctor for a cheaper alternative. There are some things that isn't possible for but for most of the things I prescribe as a pediatrician it is possible.

I often don't know how expensive some things are until I get them filled for my own kids. The eardrops were one of those. I was shocked when I went to pick them up for my son. 

I wish I had known that. At the time I didn't really have time to figure all of it out. We had just come back from vacation and my hubby was in a lot of pain. He is now having to have surgery right after Christmas because of his perforated eardrum. So yay! We get to pay for that too! And he has to be put under which is totally freaking me out. As is the thought of sitting with six kids in the waiting room. I still haven't figured out childcare help and we have zero family close and most people I would ask will be out of town. But that's a totally different story. Next time I'll know to push hard about alternatives.

• Like 5

We do this a lot. If the price is over $50, our pharmacy will call our pediatrician to ask for alternatives automatically. Then the doctors office calls us to present us with the options. It works really well. Although we do pay for expensive drugs when needed.

:grouphug: Sorry you have to go through all that. Hope it all goes through well with the surgery.

One thing I always tell patients is that I have no idea what meds cost. I know some that are really expensive but often it varies so much by insurance plan that I don't know what their particular prescription will cost. I always tell them to call our office if it's expensive and we can find a cheaper alternative. When you are at the pharmacy you can just say no to a medication after you find out the price and ask the pharmacist to call your doctor for a cheaper alternative. There are some things that isn't possible for but for most of the things I prescribe as a pediatrician it is possible.

I often don't know how expensive some things are until I get them filled for my own kids. The eardrops were one of those. I was shocked when I went to pick them up for my son.

• Like 3

Wait.  I thought routine CDC recommended vaccines were considered preventative and so had to be covered under insurance 100% due to the ACA.  Even before ACA childhood vaccines have always been covered 100% by every insurance we've had.  Flu shot was not covered, but since ACA is has been on both insurances we've had since then.  This year we couldn't make the flu shot clinics at our regular doctor so we went to Walgreens and our insurance paid for it 100% there.

• Like 1

Wait.  I thought routine CDC recommended vaccines were considered preventative and so had to be covered under insurance 100% due to the ACA.  Even before ACA childhood vaccines have always been covered 100% by every insurance we've had.  Flu shot was not covered, but since ACA is has been on both insurances we've had since then.  This year we couldn't make the flu shot clinics at our regular doctor so we went to Walgreens and our insurance paid for it 100% there.

Some plans that don't pay for it 100% were grandfathered in.

I cannot complain exactly because overall our plan is not too bad, but yes we still pay copays for all routine.