Menu

$2 appetizers

saraha

Bacon wrapped pineapple is awesome.  Only need a package of bacon, and a can of pineapple.  You might could pull that off at Aldi's or someplace similar.  

So where do you live?

Again, floored by these low prices.  I can't ever find bacon for under $4 a pound.  I don't think I could even find a can of pineapple for under two dollars.

• Like 1

So where do you live?

Again, floored by these low prices.  I can't ever find bacon for under $4 a pound.  I don't think I could even find a can of pineapple for under two dollars.

Southeast.  And it really depends the store.  I'd have to work at it to get that low.  Canned pineapple is easily 89 cents, though.

• Like 1

So where do you live?

Again, floored by these low prices. I can't ever find bacon for under $4 a pound. I don't think I could even find a can of pineapple for under two dollars.

I'm paying at LEAST $8.99 a pound for bacon around here. A year or so ago it went even higher. Maybe there's a pig shortage down here.

And the yeast...which is the most expensive part. Still should bring one under $2 though.

This would put it over $2 - but maybe to demonstrate a serving option - a bottle of olive oil and Italian spices for a dipping dish. The oil and spices would be staples to add to the pantry and use more than once, and could be picked up anytime in the weeks prior to when needed.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot about another one that is very popular here.  Tortilla roll ups.  In its easiest form, flour tortillas with flavored cream cheese.  Roll up, cut into little pieces, voila.  I don't love these, but lots of people, do.

Another variation that I do like is crescent rolls and cream cheese.  Unroll crescent rolls and cut each into 3ish pieces (you are going for tiny).  Spread with flavored cream cheese.  Sweet or savory works.  Roll them up and bake according to the package.  These are addictive!  Cream cheese has been pricey lately, but you can use half the container (then use the rest for sandwiches or bagels for your kids).  

And yet another is frozen biscuits.  This works really well if it's a meal, but snacks work, too.  Everyone loves biscuits.  Bonus points if you have time to bake right before you go to the party so they are warm.  The brand I buy is Mary B's, and I usually get the "thins" or "tea size."  They are $3.29, and a basket of those is enough, even without butter or jam.  That just pushes it over.

Oh!  and corn dog muffins.  Jiffy mix and cut up hot dogs.  You can make them mini or full size.

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 2

At the moment, I could easily do a bunch of egg salad sandwiches cut into triangles, if I already had mayo and seasonings (I use mayo, curry, and garam masala, or, if I know the group is less adventurous, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper, maybe a bit of chopped dill pickle). We have a local bread outlet with good bread $1.29 a loaf (if you can afford three at a time, it's 3/$2.97, I buy three loaves at a time, keep it in the freezer, and thaw slices as I need them)--this is for Nature's Own, Cobblestone Mill, Great Value, so name brands included, and they usually have whole wheat, rye, sourdough, bagel thins, tortillas, etc, not just white bread. Some days they will have a selection of loaves for 69 cents, but those would be best toasted, IMO. I just bought eggs at Walmart---37 cents for a dozen, 56 cents for 18! That is much, much lower than I've seen in many years and cheaper than the 79 cent a dozen that I thought was really good at another grocery store. So, a loaf will give 20-24 slices including the heels, leaving off the heels would yield 9-11 sandwiches cut into fourths, so 36-44 appetizers.

Cream cheese pinwheels, again, if seasonings are available, as Aldi often has cream cheese/neufchatel for 89-99 cents for 8oz. Soften and mix with various seasonings, maybe some finely chopped vegetables if available, spread on the tortillas above, roll up, chill, and slice into pinwheels. The same filling could be used for the sandwiches.

Caramelized onions are inexpensive but take preplanning and can really punch up the flavor of a lot of things. I like to make a big batch when onions go on sale for less than a dollar for a three pound bag, then freeze them in ice cube trays or little mounds on wax paper. Once they're frozen, I transfer to ziplocs and keep in the freezer to pull out and put on sandwiches or in recipes. This recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caramelized-onion-spread uses them with cream cheese and could be spread on toast points or the seasoned saltines. They would go well in the pinwheels, or mix with sour cream, mayo, a bit of salt, and pepper to make a dip to go with the seasoned saltines.

My sister makes a simple cheese ball with softened cream cheese or neufchatel and chopped fresh green onions (about 69 cents a bunch, IIRC), maybe a little salt. That might make a good spread.

Have you seen Leanne Brown's cookbook, "Good and Cheap: eat well on $4 a day"? The first edition is available as a free pdf, but she has an updated 2nd edition that can be ordered. It's designed to help someone on SNAP benefits add variety to their meals. She has a number of variations of deviled eggs and popcorn (separately, not together ;)) in the first one. https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/

• Like 5

Saltine crackers topped with thin slice (1/4") of a milky way, snickers or other thick candy bar that goes for under $1, topped with another thinnish slice of banana.  Sprinkle with cinnamon if you have some.  I think you could stretch one candy bar and 1 large banana onto at least 16 crackers.  Alternative: saltine topped with the banana slice and then a dollop of shelf-stable chocolate or vanilla pudding on top (4pk at Aldi for 89 cents, like Snack Pack). The banana might start to make the cracker soggy so they should be served soon after making them.

$1 package of hot dogs or a box of Banquet brown n serve breakfast sausage (this goes on sale for $1, and Aldi makes a knock-off that is $1.19 or something?), cut up and sauteed with one small coarsely chopped onion and one small coarsely chopped bell pepper.  Likely the hot dogs/sausage are fatty enough to not require the use of extra butter/margarine.  You could skewer a piece of meat + onion + pepper on toothpicks to serve.

If you can find generic frozen blueberry waffles for 0.99, this would be another option to serve cut up on skewers with a section of breakfast sausage.  The blueberry ones are usually a little sweeter than regular waffles, so it will help people to miss the syrup less... The Banquet brown n serve comes in maple flavor which might help too.

Canned pineapple chunks (less than $1/can at Aldi) wrapped in the very thin Buddig brand ham that is sold in a 2 oz bag, I think it is $1 or so at a regular grocery store and Aldi has a similar item for 50 cents? Serve on toothpicks. Alternative: wrap the thin meat around cheese cubes if you can find an 8 oz block of cheese on sale for $1.50...

How about dipping various things in melted chocolate chips?  I think a bag of chocolate chips is $1.29 at our Aldi.  A package of fig newtons or sugar wafers go for 89 cents there so that is really close!  I think they would look nice and taste really good half-dipped in chocolate.  I've heard of people dipping potato chips, or cheese curls, or Doritos in chocolate, too.  Labor intensive, but pretty cheap...

Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 4

I'd suggest a few boxes of Jiffy corn bread made with eggs -- I see boxes for $0.50 each.

Another thing to think about is that Dollar Trees have food in them. You can make quesadillas -- flour tortillas + cheese. Black beans + tortilla chips. Pasta + sauce. Spiced nuts. There's usually Marie Callendar's biscuit mix available, as well (you just add water). DS10 loves to make "punch" from Jumex Mango Nectar and sprite-like soda. 

For building a pantry, the Dollar Tree has a wide variety of spices.

• Like 3

saraha--it was a church based class for women. I taught it on/off for a few years, in different guises...."Kitchen basics", "freezer meals", "$5 suppers". Our church ran/runs a commodity type pantry for needy families. Some/many of them also received WIC but not SNAP and were dependent on the pantry for almost all of their food needs for a period of time with the goal of working to self-sufficiency by being able to manage their budgets. It was always a diverse group---young single mothers with multiple kids from unstable backgrounds, young married student couples, middle aged families out of work, families under super tight budgets for one reason or another. Some came from stable backgrounds and had some experience cooking, many did not have basic skills. They were all people who wanted to be there, but in working with them, a lot of those foundational skills of budgeting, planning, preparing food using basic skills were not in place. With the older families, diabetes and proper nutrition were big issues. Sometimes significant food allergies also complicated life.

Almost invariably the following was true for my class participants:

1. They had not had much exposure to vegetables beyond bagged salad or heating up a bag of frozen vegetables.

2. The concept of calculating price per portion/price per meal was new to them.

3. They had had very little exposure in the kitchen.

4. They wanted to learn, and were willing to try new things but were afraid to show what they didn't know.

5. They were willing to eat samples.

I don't think this is an issue exclusive to lower income groups. Doing away with "home economics" in schools several generations ago has had an effect. People don't know basic cooking, budgeting, or childcare. It should be required for everyone!

• Like 8

I don't think this is an issue exclusive to lower income groups. Doing away with "home economics" in schools several generations ago has had an effect. People don't know basic cooking, budgeting, or childcare. It should be required for everyone!

True.  But I took home ec and we didn't learn about any of those things in home ec. 

• Like 2

True. But I took home ec and we didn't learn about any of those things in home ec.

Same here. My sons had home ec in middle school. It was learn to turn a washing machine on, make instant pudding and prep a carrot. High school was humorous...the scouts were learning meat cuts, making full meals from scratch (the most processed thing they had was pancake mix) over a camp fire after pricing them, on the weekends, then 'learning' to crack an egg or make a Jiffy muffin mix at school. Full inclusion courses here do not help to prepare for independent living.

Same here. My sons had home ec in middle school. It was learn to turn a washing machine on, make instant pudding and prep a carrot. High school was humorous...the scouts were learning meat cuts, making full meals from scratch (the most processed thing they had was pancake mix) over a camp fire after pricing them, on the weekends, then 'learning' to crack an egg or make a Jiffy muffin mix at school. Full inclusion courses here do not help to prepare for independent living.

Yeah in home ec we learned microwave pudding recipes.  We did make a homemade pie crust with canned filling.  How many desserts is a person going to make, ya know?  And in the microwave?  Silly

We did not discuss personal fiance, budgeting, or childcare.  We did learn a few basic hand stitches.  I suppose that was somewhat useful because I still do know how to hem pants.  Although I hate doing it so much that after I discovered hemming tape I don't do it anymore!!!

I had home ec in middle school. We learned some basic nutrition - though the information out of the FDA at that time was not all that healthy - basic cooking skills and some baking. We had a field trip to the super market and had to price items out to stock a kitchen with basic foods including herbs so we would have an idea what that might be like in the future. We cooked eight full meals which were sampled by the faculty. Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread, salad, and fruit. The others meals were similar. Nothing too elaborate but always including a salad or cooked vegetable and often some kind of fruit as well. We baked muffins, cakes, and cookies as well as being drilled on kitchen hygiene and safety. We also learned to mend clothing and sewed aprons. The guys had to take the class too. They moaned and groaned about it so to appease their pathetic protests, the teacher told them they were learning to cook for the buddies for Super Bowl parties, and instead of making aprons let them make sport's themed throw pillows for their rooms.

So everyone in my middle school went to high school knowing some basic kitchen survival skills.

Of course with the supreme emphasis on standardized testing that program went the way of the dodo along with woodworking, metalworking, electronics, the CNA program,the EMT program for high school seniors, most of the music and art, the finance and banking program, the early child development program, and the general first aid and cpr class for students not interested in pursuing an EMT license but looking at careers where it might come in quite handy.

The school used to offer a very large variety of coursework which served its students and community well. Sigh....

I think the single biggest issue with cooking from scratch is that it isn't economical until the start up costs have been absorbed. This thread has me thinking that for Christmas I need to hit the thrift stores and buy pots, pans, kettles, baking dishes, and mixing bowls plus utensils and kitchen tools then the dollar store for basics like garlic powder, minced onion, salt, pepper, and a few others plus aluminum foil,box it all up, and take it to the food pantry. I think that if we want to help people eat better on very limited funds, they are going to need help getting started before they can be taught to cook healthfully. It is easy for those of us that cook well to forget that we have this capability because we have access to stocked kitchens outfitted with all the necessary hardware to make it possible.

We have cooking classes through the community center offered by 4H. The community center kitchen is lovely. Three ranges, two convection ovens, one large upright freezer, two refrigerators, microwave, blenders, mixers, gadgets, tons of pots and pans, bake-ware. But many people potentially go home to barren kitchens where they cannot replicate what they make in class because they do not possess the necessities.

I need to go talk to the food pantry folks.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 13

I had home ec in middle school. We learned wome basic nutrition - though the information out of the FDA at thwt time was not all that healthy - basic cooking skills and some baking. We had a field trip to the super market and had to price items out to stock a kitchen with basic foods including herbs so we would have an idea what that might be like in the future. We cooked eight full meals which were sampled by the faculty. Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread, salad, and fruit. The others meals were similar. Nothing to elaborate but always including a salad or cooked vegetable and often some kind of fruit as well. We baked muffins, cakes, and cookies as well as being drilled on kitchen hygiene and safety. We also learned to mend clothing and sewed aprons. The guys had to take the class too. They moaned and groaned about it so to appease their pathetic protests, the teacher told them they were learning to cook for the buddies for Super Bowl parties, and instead of making aprons let them make sport's themed throw pillows for their rooms.

So everyone in my middle school went to high school knowing some basic kitchen survival skills.

Of course with the supreme emphasis on standardized testing that program went the way of the dodo along with woodworking, metalworking, electronics, the CNA program,the EMT program for high school seniors, most of the music and art, the finance and banking program, the early child development program, and the general first aid and cpr class for students not interested in pursuing an EMT license but looking at careers where it might come in quite handy.

The school used to offer a very large variety of coursework which served its students and community well. Sigh....

I think the single biggest issue with cooking from scratch is that it isn't economical until the start up costs have been absorbed. This thread has me thinking that for Christmad I need to hit the thrift stores and buy pots, pans, kettles, baking dishes, and mixing bowls plus utensils and kitchen tools then the dollar store for basics like garlic powder, minced oniion, salt, pepper, and a few others plus aluminum foil,box it all up, and take it to the food pantry. I think that if we want to help people eat better on very limited funds, they are going to need help getting started before they can be taught to cook healthfully. It is easy for those of us that cook well to forget that we have this capability because we have access to stocked kitchens outfitted with all the necessary hardware to make it possible.

We have cooking classes through the community center offered by 4H. The community center kitchen is lovely. Three ranges, two convection ovens, one large upright freezer, two refrigerators, microwave, blenders, mixers, gadgets, tons of pots and pans, bakeware. But many people potentially go home to barren kitchens where they cannot replicate what they make in class because they do not possess the necessities.

I wish I could like this more than once!

• Like 3

If it is a fancy sit down dinner where specifically hors-d'euvres had been requested, no, you don't bring sweets or bread.

But if it is a party without a warm sit down meal, "appetizer" is often used for "any food item that does not require sitting down at a table and holding two utensils". So, sweets definitely count. Whenever I bring bread, it is eaten quickly.

My typical experience is that appetizers are more on the savory side. Bread, if involved, is more of a base to something else. But I would definitely go for some homemade bread if it were there!

I am a break baker and I frequently bring a loaf of warm bread and a stick of butter if something like starters are requested. It always seems to be one of the first things to disappear. So, it can't be totally off base.

I would eat it........... just haven't seen it other than as a base for something else, such as bruschetta or spinach dip.

Another piece of lost knowledge is knowing what produce is in season locally. We are no longer seeing significantly lower in season prices, unless its something like yellow squash 0.79/lb in season, 1.99 as it comes in and goes out or is produced elsewhere. A mealy apple out of cold storage isnt any different than first of the season. Hard to know when frozen is better nutritionally.

*snip*

I think the single biggest issue with cooking from scratch is that it isn't economical until the start up costs have been absorbed. This thread has me thinking that for Christmas I need to hit the thrift stores and buy pots, pans, kettles, baking dishes, and mixing bowls plus utensils and kitchen tools then the dollar store for basics like garlic powder, minced onion, salt, pepper, and a few others plus aluminum foil,box it all up, and take it to the food pantry. I think that if we want to help people eat better on very limited funds, they are going to need help getting started before they can be taught to cook healthfully. It is easy for those of us that cook well to forget that we have this capability because we have access to stocked kitchens outfitted with all the necessary hardware to make it possible.

We have cooking classes through the community center offered by 4H. The community center kitchen is lovely. Three ranges, two convection ovens, one large upright freezer, two refrigerators, microwave, blenders, mixers, gadgets, tons of pots and pans, bake-ware. But many people potentially go home to barren kitchens where they cannot replicate what they make in class because they do not possess the necessities.

I fully agree with this. And strongly urge you to check with your local pantry folks. But, speaking as someone who has both volunteered AND been on the receiving end of the food pantry system in my city - even if you donate it, it's probably not going to get to the type of food bank recipient that you are describing. Here, all spices go to the communal dinner places / soup kitchens. The pots & pans would either be donated to Goodwill or possibly the battered women's shelter. The local food pantry just isn't set for handing out those type of items. 

• Like 1

Saltine crackers topped with thin slice (1/4") of a milky way, snickers or other thick candy bar that goes for under $1, topped with another thinnish slice of banana. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you have some. I think you could stretch one candy bar and 1 large banana onto at least 16 crackers. Alternative: saltine topped with the banana slice and then a dollop of shelf-stable chocolate or vanilla pudding on top (4pk at Aldi for 89 cents, like Snack Pack). The banana might start to make the cracker soggy so they should be served soon after making them.

$1 package of hot dogs or a box of Banquet brown n serve breakfast sausage (this goes on sale for $1, and Aldi makes a knock-off that is $1.19 or something?), cut up and sauteed with one small coarsely chopped onion and one small coarsely chopped bell pepper. Likely the hot dogs/sausage are fatty enough to not require the use of extra butter/margarine. You could skewer a piece of meat + onion + pepper on toothpicks to serve.

If you can find generic frozen blueberry waffles for 0.99, this would be another option to serve cut up on skewers with a section of breakfast sausage. The blueberry ones are usually a little sweeter than regular waffles, so it will help people to miss the syrup less... The Banquet brown n serve comes in maple flavor which might help too.

Canned pineapple chunks (less than $1/can at Aldi) wrapped in the very thin Buddig brand ham that is sold in a 2 oz bag, I think it is $1 or so at a regular grocery store and Aldi has a similar item for 50 cents? Serve on toothpicks. Alternative: wrap the thin meat around cheese cubes if you can find an 8 oz block of cheese on sale for $1.50...

How about dipping various things in melted chocolate chips? I think a bag of chocolate chips is $1.29 at our Aldi. A package of fig newtons or sugar wafers go for 89 cents there so that is really close! I think they would look nice and taste really good half-dipped in chocolate. I've heard of people dipping potato chips, or cheese curls, or Doritos in chocolate, too. Labor intensive, but pretty cheap...

I think the pineapple wrapped in the inexpensive ham lunch meat is a great idea.

• Like 1

Another piece of lost knowledge is knowing what produce is in season locally. We are no longer seeing significantly lower in season prices, unless its something like yellow squash 0.79/lb in season, 1.99 as it comes in and goes out or is produced elsewhere. A mealy apple out of cold storage isnt any different than first of the season. Hard to know when frozen is better nutritionally.

Sometimes I think it should be a dang crime to sell produce that is out of season.  Chances are it tastes terrible and won't improve with sitting there. 

I always wonder who eats it.  Sometimes I forget and I'll see something and think wow it looks so nice and I buy it and then bring it home and it's not edible.  This is especially true with fruits.  I hate fruits and this is one reason why.  They never taste right to me.  BUT they are often pretty good when in season.

I the food pantry closest to me. They do have a family that is a regular there, living in a camper, who could and would use kitchen basics. They told me to wrap it all up for Christmas, and they would make sure the next time the family visited, they pick it up. I can't help everyone, but I can help one family have better nutritional options.

• Like 6

I the food pantry closest to me. They do have a family that is a regular there, living in a camper, who could and would use kitchen basics. They told me to wrap it all up for Christmas, and they would make sure the next time the family visited, they pick it up. I can't help everyone, but I can help one family have better nutritional options.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You have totally inspired me with this.  I think  I am going to set our "old lady squad" at church on collecting kitchen tools at yard sales this summer.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 4

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You have totally inspired me with this.  I think  I am going to set our "old lady squad" at church on collecting kitchen tools at yard sales this summer.

Love this. 

If I might add one more item to look for at yard sales - a good blender / food processor. You would not believe how many recipes require one of the two of these to make work well. Especially if trying to eat healthy.

And maybe a crockpot too. I see them pretty cheaply, and they are a huge help for mom who might be working / etc to get dinner on and ready on time. 

• Like 2

Sometimes I think it should be a dang crime to sell produce that is out of season.  Chances are it tastes terrible and won't improve with sitting there. 

I always wonder who eats it.  Sometimes I forget and I'll see something and think wow it looks so nice and I buy it and then bring it home and it's not edible.  This is especially true with fruits.  I hate fruits and this is one reason why.  They never taste right to me.  BUT they are often pretty good when in season.

I have grown up in a country without any out-of-season produce and without any imports. Wrinkly apples, onions, carrots and cabbage get old fairly quickly. There is nothing in season in northern climates for a large part of the year. 

We try to eat as seasonal as possible (strawberries and tomatoes in February are just not good), but are grateful that we are no longer forced to stick to seasonal produce. I actually do like to eat the occasional salad between October and March. And to get some produce that is in season elsewhere in the world.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Sometimes I think it should be a dang crime to sell produce that is out of season. Chances are it tastes terrible and won't improve with sitting there.

I always wonder who eats it. Sometimes I forget and I'll see something and think wow it looks so nice and I buy it and then bring it home and it's not edible. This is especially true with fruits. I hate fruits and this is one reason why. They never taste right to me. BUT they are often pretty good when in season.

I agree. Moldy cauliflower, way past prime green peppers, rusty green beans, and moldy grapes arent worth putting out for sale (just to mentiom what I am seeing lately). I am ready to turn a porch into a winter greenhouse just for salad. And artichoke...who is paying 2.50 for a small artichoke? Its treated as a gourmet item here, as is kohlrabi. I also grew up with only in season veg, but we preserved from the garden. Canned was not in the budget.

Back to the appetizer...one could buddy up with another. For 2 each, cheese and a pound of grapes.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I agree. Moldy cauliflower, way past prime green peppers, rusty green beans, and moldy grapes arent worth putting out for sale (just to mentiom what I am seeing lately). I am ready to turn a porch into a winter greenhouse just for salad. And artichoke...who is paying 2.50 for a small artichoke? Its treated as a gourmet item here, as is kohlrabi. I also grew up with only in season veg, but we preserved from the garden. Canned was not in the budget.

Back to the appetizer...one could buddy up with another. For 2 each, cheese and a pound of grapes.

I tried turning my porch into a greenhouse in winter.  It didn't work!  I think it's just too cloudy during winter here.

Well appetizer night went great!  Thank you all so much for all of your help! 

Ok, next month is lentils... who has more suggestions for me?  I have never made lentils before.  Around here, that is "weird" food, but it was a request from one of the participants

• Like 5

Ok, next month is lentils... who has more suggestions for me?  I have never made lentils before.  Around here, that is "weird" food, but it was a request from one of the participants

My grandma made a yummy simple lentil soup: brown lentils, potatoes, carrots, some onion (and maybe some leeks if you have on hand). Very inexpensive. One lb of lentils (under $1) makes a huge pot. Try adding some vinegar and sugar when you're eating.

I also make a lentil soup with red lentils, sweet potatoes, canned tomato, onion and carrot. Also budget friendly. Can be spicy or with lemon juice.

Edited by regentrude

What did they end up making for appetizers?

Lentils are a staple food for the world... I'd go big on the ethnic foods. I just use the cheap, brown lentils for all lentil recipes, although if you have fancy lentils, those are great, as well. The big thing for me with lentils is spicing the heck out of them.  Some of my favorites:

• Like 4

My husband loves lentils with a ham bone and whatever scraps of ham we have on hand. I usually cook it in a crock pot with onion, shredded carrot, diced celery, water, beef or chicken bullion, and a dash of liquid smoke flavoring. It's very filling and comforting on a cold day. We usually have French bread with it.

• Like 3

OMG, I have failed at lentils relentlessly, time and time again, and then a friend who was visiting for Thanksgiving took one of my massive bags of organic lentils (on sale at Sam's . . .) and made the most wonderful soup!

She took some onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, and maybe some garlic, and sautĂƒÂ©ed it up to pretty tender. Then she added a bunch of vegetable stock (home made, but any could work, I just always have home made in the freezer . . . I think she actually uses water when she makes it at home, so I guess that's more frugal . . .), and threw in the vast quantity of tricolor lentils (any would work, but I had tricolor) and simmered it until the lentils were tender. Then at the end, she added a can of coconut milk! It was AWESOME and so delicious. And it was actually vegan! Totally rocked my world. She doesn't use recipes (damn her) and I haven't made it myself yet, so I can't give you any more details, but let me tell you, it was great!! So, I'd advise trying to google up a lentil-coconut soup recipe. :)

ETA: It definitely had curry in it and some other spices. :) 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 2

Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup lentils

2 cups chicken stock (water will do in a pinch)
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1 small onion, chopped
pepper to taste

-Combine everything in a smallish casserole dish. 
-Bake covered at 350 until tender (about 90 minutes). Also works as a crockpot meal - about 8 hours on low, a little less liquid. 

This is a good, filling meal when served over rice. Kids generally love it. If someone can't get past the lack of meat, add 4 ounces of cooked ground sausage and it's well received. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

Well appetizer night went great! Thank you all so much for all of your help!

Ok, next month is lentils... who has more suggestions for me? I have never made lentils before. Around here, that is "weird" food, but it was a request from one of the participants

Mjeddrah (or mujaddara) is a very easy and very delicious lentil dish. I prefer to make it with French lentils, but you can use regular brown lentils too. Another good lentil dish is petit salĂƒÂ© aux lentilles, which sounds fancy but is basically just lentils cooked with onions, carrots, celery, and some cured pork belly (or use bacon strips). For this dish French lentils are much better because of their firmness. If there are leftovers, it makes an excellent cold lentil salad the next day. Or you can make them into patties to fry or bake. Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

I posted a link for fried lentil cakes upthread. These go well with simple tomato soup. I make my tomato soup with a can of tomato sauce, half a can of coconut milk (or a can of milk can be used), some sugar, garlic and onion powder and basil.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

We love this lentil and rice recipe!  My kids sometimes ask for it instead of meat.  I use it in place of meat and beans for taco night, in either flour or crunchy corn tortillas.  It's really easy, really good.  I usually use white rice because that's what my people like, and I either cook it all for 25 minutes or cook the lentils like 10 minutes, then add the rice for an additional 20.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/tacolentilsrice.htm

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 2

Caramelized onions are inexpensive but take preplanning and can really punch up the flavor of a lot of things. I like to make a big batch when onions go on sale for less than a dollar for a three pound bag, then freeze them in ice cube trays or little mounds on wax paper. Once they're frozen, I transfer to ziplocs and keep in the freezer to pull out and put on sandwiches or in recipes. This recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caramelized-onion-spread uses them with cream cheese and could be spread on toast points or the seasoned saltines. They would go well in the pinwheels, or mix with sour cream, mayo, a bit of salt, and pepper to make a dip to go with the seasoned saltines.

More side dish-y, but could work for potlucks and the muffins could be appetizers.

Applesauce jello - package of jello made with boiling water, but you add in applesauce instead of the cold water at the end. Refrigerate as usual. Looks pretty on the Christmas table if red or green.

Sweet corn bread muffins. Wouldn't be $2 if you need to purchase oil, but the jiffy mixes can be purchased for about 50 cents each. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-corn-bread-muffins

ETA: These would work if they had built up a spice cupboard. I took them to an office potluck one time; they were a hit.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/savory-italian-rounds

As you can tell, I am not much of a scratch cooker either, so all of these are really easy to make. And now I see we have moved on to lentil day...

KarenNC, thank you for this. I didn't know what to do with the onions I bought for some recipes for Thanksgiving. I don't use them a whole lot, but I can caramelize them and freeze them. Thanks!

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 1

We use lentils instead of meat for a vegetarian/vegan Shepherds Pie. Uses up all those bits of leftover veggie side dishes from the week.

Also, lentil and (plain old ground) sausage soup. I toss in the greens in our fridge that are past salad-prime, plus, once again, leftover cooked veggies.

• Like 1

What did they end up making for appetizers?

Hummus made with peanut butter, potato skins (we mashed the leftover potato innards with milk and margarine), vegetable tray and sausage balls (talked about stretching meat) and they were given the list of $2 appetizers.  As a class, they brainstormed more appetizer ideas to add to their list and binders, and had a great class.

Eta: there were some participants who were surprised about using the inside of the potatoes for something else!  Then they decided, well, there will be less waste if we make potato skins first, then serve the insides the next day.  I don't know if I recommend eating potato skins that often, but really, I could get behind that....

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

OMG, I have failed at lentils relentlessly, time and time again, and then a friend who was visiting for Thanksgiving took one of my massive bags of organic lentils (on sale at Sam's . . .) and made the most wonderful soup!

She took some onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, and maybe some garlic, and sautĂƒÂ©ed it up to pretty tender. Then she added a bunch of vegetable stock (home made, but any could work, I just always have home made in the freezer . . . I think she actually uses water when she makes it at home, so I guess that's more frugal . . .), and threw in the vast quantity of tricolor lentils (any would work, but I had tricolor) and simmered it until the lentils were tender. Then at the end, she added a can of coconut milk! It was AWESOME and so delicious. And it was actually vegan! Totally rocked my world. She doesn't use recipes (damn her) and I haven't made it myself yet, so I can't give you any more details, but let me tell you, it was great!! So, I'd advise trying to google up a lentil-coconut soup recipe. :)

ETA: It definitely had curry in it and some other spices. :)

This recipe I use sounds similar?

Lentil Soup

1 small onion, chopped

1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated

2 cloves minced garlic

2 cups lentils

2-3 cups zucchini or yellow squash

4 cups vegetable broth

1 14 oz can coconut milk

1/2 of a 6 oz can of tomato paste

2 tsp curry powder

heavy pinch cayenne pepper

heavy pinch nutmeg

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for a couple of hours or until everything is tender.  This is easy to throw into a crock pot; set it on low for 4-6 hours.  I like to puree the soup in a blender at the end.  Yummy!

Lentils are an ingredient that could sneak into just about anything, so long as they have been precooked.  I bet you could make burgers from cooked lentils mixed with ground meat and an egg or two as a binder, to stretch your protein dollars further.  Lentil puree could be added to dips, sauces, smoothies, doughs, and I doubt most people would notice.

• Like 2

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for a couple of hours or until everything is tender.  

Just a comment on this method of preparation:

if things are boiled, nothing reaches a temperature higher than the boiling point of water, and you cannot get a Maillard reaction that creates the delicious browning flavors because that requires higher temperatures. 

I recommend sauteeing the onions and maybe celery and a carrot or leeks in oil first, at high temp, to get some browning and develop the flavors - then add liquid and the remaining ingredients and simmer. Makes a big difference to flavor and is something that greatly enhances a dish without costing extra.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6