Menu

$2 appetizers

saraha

I have been teaching a budget cooking class for new/inexperienced snap recipients for over a year now, and this month's class is about appetizers.  If you only had $2 to spend on a snack/appetizer to take to a party/gathering, what would you take?

Thanks!

ETA:  I would love all ideas, from easy to more complex, as they can be used at different times over the course of the year,

Thanks!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 5

I have been teaching a budget cooking class for new/inexperienced snap recipients for over a year now, and this month's class is about appetizers. If you only had $2 to spend on a snack/appetizer to take to a party/gathering, what would you take?

Thanks!

I want to add that it is really awesome you do this!!

• Like 12

Thanks!  I am brain storming a big list that they can put in their binders to refer to if they have an occasion to bring something.  It is important to my students that they feel like they are contributing to the gatherings, more than a bag of chips. KWIM?

• Like 3

Thanks, our church sponsors it and it has been a great volunteer activity for me, it is nice to get out of the house and do something non-kid centered.  We make and sample everything in class, and the participants get to take home all of the leftover ingredients.  So they get a free meal, learn a little something, and usually get free food in the form of a brand new bottle of spice that has a teaspoon taken out of it, half a gallon of milk that we use one cup of etc.  We are making a couple of things to try in class, but I also wanted to make a handy reference list to add to their binders.

• Like 5

My problem with dips, is that they have to buy the chips.  Our local grocery store doesn't have chips for less than $2 unless it is the cheap pretzels.  So the whole thing (including dippers) has to cost $2. We can get a box of saltines for $1 though

Dip and veggies. Carrot sticks are inexpensive.

Hummus (using canned garbanzo beans makes it super easy, but I make big lots and freeze the beans instead of buying canned)and carrot sticks are good. I have a friend who uses peanut butter in place of the tahini. Tastes good to me!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

$2 budget is very, very hard.  If they can stretch it to $3, they have a lot more options.  I think at $2 you are stuck baking a very basic flour based recipe with margarine and canola oil:

rosemary breadsticks

apple spice muffins

carrot cake muffins 

zucchini fritters: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/zucchini-fritters/

If they can find a good sale or have $3:

broiled pears/baked apples (if you can find a good in season fruit sale)

strawberry & bananas (presentation is nice!): https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43065740159736600/

pears: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43065740163386440/

grape snakes & banana penguins : https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43065740163386428/

strawberries: yogurt hearts https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43065740161465843/

• Like 2

a fruit platter or fruit salad.

Fresh fruit is received usually very well at parties. Just stay away from expensive berries. At this time of the year, under $2 can be an orange  + an apple + a couple of bananas. In the summer, water melon is cheap.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

There's a restaurant by our house that does these baked saltine crackers with some kind of spice seasoning. They're like crack. So addictive. My mom makes some type of oyster crackers in a ranch type oil mix she bakes at Christmas. Also amazing and addictive. I think either or those would be cheap. I can try and find a recipe from her if you need it.

I would bake a loaf of bread. Right now I can buy 5lbs of white unbleached flour for .89.  I only need approx 2.5 cups of flour to make bread. There are approx 20 cups of flour in a 5lb bag. That means it costs pennies for a loaf of bread.

And the yeast...which is the most expensive part.  Still should bring one under $2 though.

• Like 1

And the yeast...which is the most expensive part.  Still should bring one under $2 though.

If...and I understand this is a big if...you have access to a co-op style market where you can buy bulk then yeast can be super cheap.  When I have been at my poorest my co-op membership was my best friend.  I have absolutely bought .25 worth of yeast.  I was always buying very small amounts of grains etc, just enough to get me to the next payday and it was always very inexpensive.  I am sure they knew me as the crazy lady who bough .50 of rice...but that was all I needed/could afford.

I did have to pay 10$ a year for my membership over 10 years. But I was always able to find the 10$ at some point. And at this point I am a lifetime member so no more paying.  I always had the option of paying off the 100$ membership vs paying it off over the 10 years. I just took the payment option.

• Like 3

If...and I understand this is a big if...you have access to a co-op style market where you can buy bulk then yeast can be super cheap.  When I have been at my poorest my co-op membership was my best friend.  I have absolutely bought .25 worth of yeast.  I was always buying very small amounts of grains etc, just enough to get me to the next payday and it was always very inexpensive.  I am sure they knew me as the crazy lady who bough .50 of rice...but that was all I needed/could afford.

I did have to pay 10$ a year for my membership over 10 years. But I was always able to find the 10$ at some point. And at this point I am a lifetime member so no more paying.  I always had the option of paying off the 100$ membership vs paying it off over the 10 years. I just took the payment option.

Yeah the three packs of yeast are over $2.  I think that's a total rip.

• Like 1

Yeah the three packs of yeast are over $2.  I think that's a total rip.

it totally is.  These days I buy a pound of yeast at the co-op for 4$ and it lasts me a year, more or less. I keep it in the freezer so it stays fresh. But, if I didn't have the 4$ to spend on yeast, I could also buy as much or as little as I wanted at the same co-op. Those dinky packages are criminally overpriced. You are better off buying a pound and splitting it with friends.

Or, for as much as those packages cost, if you buy the pound and only use a quarter of it, you are still probably ahead of the game. I'd rather toss half than buy those packets, because I'd still get my money's worth.

• Like 4

We live in a in a one grocery store town in a rural area.  Prices are higher out here than in the big city an hour away. You can usually get carrots for $1/lb, celery for $1.59 a package, onions 3lbs for 1.99.  A box of saltines will cost $1.  I don't really know how that compares to other areas.

• Like 1

it totally is.  These days I buy a pound of yeast at the co-op for 4$ and it lasts me a year, more or less. I keep it in the freezer so it stays fresh. But, if I didn't have the 4$ to spend on yeast, I could also buy as much or as little as I wanted at the same co-op. Those dinky packages are criminally overpriced. You are better off buying a pound and splitting it with friends.

Or, for as much as those packages cost, if you buy the pound and only use a quarter of it, you are still probably ahead of the game. I'd rather toss half than buy those packets, because I'd still get my money's worth.

When I baked bread more regularly I bought the jarred yeast.  It was a bit of an investment up front, but overall was much less expensive.  I kept it in the fridge.  That's just probably going to be a major turn off price wise for people on a very tight budget. 

We live in a in a one grocery store town in a rural area.  Prices are higher out here than in the big city an hour away. You can usually get carrots for $1/lb, celery for $1.59 a package, onions 3lbs for 1.99.  A box of saltines will cost $1.  I don't really know how that compares to other areas.

Just priced those here.  I chose the cheapest options.  Carrots would be $1 a pound.  Celery $1.99 per bunch.  $2 per 3 pounds of onions (on sale this week).  $1.99 for the cheapest box of saltines (store brand).

• Like 1

I think the underlying problem is that doing any of that completely from scratch often requires you to lean against the pantry you already have.  So, if you are using an egg in baking, it's that you already have eggs in your house. Likewise, most of the fruit stuff above doesn't use an entire container of fruit---you use less, but present it well--but it presupposes that you are either already have fruit in your house or you're setting aside some for breakfast/snacks later on in the week.  

I taught a very similar class some years ago....and it's those foundational skills of planning, maintaining portion size, etc. that makes $2 appetizers work.  One also generally has to have a working oven, and a few kitchen tools as well.  We found the working oven (and knowing how to work said oven) to be a challenge.

• Like 9

I think the underlying problem is that doing any of that completely from scratch often requires you to lean against the pantry you already have.  So, if you are using an egg in baking, it's that you already have eggs in your house. Likewise, most of the fruit stuff above doesn't use an entire container of fruit---you use less, but present it well--but it presupposes that you are either already have fruit in your house or you're setting aside some for breakfast/snacks later on in the week.  

I taught a very similar class some years ago....and it's those foundational skills of planning, maintaining portion size, etc. that makes $2 appetizers work.  One also generally has to have a working oven, and a few kitchen tools as well.  We found the working oven (and knowing how to work said oven) to be a challenge.

Yeah when I think $2 I think $2 without relying on a well stocked pantry.  If my budget is very tight I probably don't have a well stocked pantry.

• Like 2

Yeah when I think $2 I think $2 without relying on a well stocked pantry.  If my budget is very tight I probably don't have a well stocked pantry.

This is the premise we are working under, that they would need to go buy the ingredients.  On the flip side, by creating a master list of options, hopefully this will help get their juices flowing to work with some ingredient they already have, or think ahead to that party at the daycare next week and what will I take.

• Like 4

Are the crackers served soggy or wet? I was expecting them to need to be baked.

They're definitely not soggy or wet. I would compare the oily level to that maybe of Ruffles? I found this recipe as well, which does bake them. I'll ask my Mom what she does when I talk to her later today. You would think I would've paid more attention to how she does it, but I usually just snarf them down and am happy someone else made me a snack for once.  :blush:

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/recipe/hidden-valley-oyster-crackers/