Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW48: Foodie Books

Robin M

Alright ladies, put on your thinking caps. We have five weeks left in the year and time to start brainstorming ideas for the new year.  Yes, we'll do another bingo.  Still working on those prezzies. They'll be along eventually.   We're heading into year 2017 and our 8th round, so something surrounding numbers?  Hi brow, low brow, flufferton and arthurian, seasonal or steampunkish, undersea or outerspace, innerspace or sense of place.   Who is up for guest posts and ideas you want to discuss. Start shooting out ideas and we'll see what sticks.

I'm definitely up for a guest post. I'm not sure what subject to proffer, but we will be reading most of the Shakespeare history plays along with background readings on the historical context, so I could do a post on one of those, maybe? 

Or, hmm, I read a lot of post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction, I could write about that sub-genre.

As far as Bingo, I love it, all but the Arthurian square!  :001_rolleyes:

I really enjoy the classic read-alongs, Jane's Passage to India month was a highlight of the year. Author flavors are good too. I love the idea of author flavors from different continents/regions around the globe.

Ideas for next year (bingo or themes):

Female adventurers

Spies

Art

Folktales

Biography

An author you think you hate but would be willing to try a different book from...

Ugly cover

Banned books (of course)

October spooky reading (of course)

Those are all fantastic ideas!

• Like 13

I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I'm still not sure what I think, mainly because as a dog lover a particular development bothered me.

The main character as well as his classmates were very realistic (None of the classmates are characters but they're sometimes discussed or described by the MC). I worked with autistic kids, including three severely autistic boys, in my first teaching job. Throughout my teaching career I had a few students on the spectrum even though my field was really intellectual disabilities (the R word is actually on my university degree but it was used professionally at the time). Often ex. ed. teachers are given students that aren't classified in the field they studied, which is how I ended up with autistic kids in my classroom.

ETA: It was my first teaching certificate not my degree that uses the now out-dated term.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 13

I haven't been reading much the last couple of days because I ended up being obsessed with the instant pot idea. Recipes and waiting for it to arrive has been much of the last couple of days. I haven't even read an entire cookbook just bits all over the place and lots of blogs. My first food is cooking, rice. I told my husband I needed it for rice. One of his friend's wanted me to buy a rice cooker and I said this would be better. More interesting if nothing else! Report is in, the rice is really nice. Dd says like Chinese restaurant rice.

I did finish another in my Savannah Reid (character) series reread Peaches and Screams https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1962530.Peaches_and_Screams. Enjoyable but dated in the way things are before they become classic. Plan to continue.

Trying to read the first DCI Banks and finding the first bit a slog. I love the TV show and may not be able to switch to the book series.

Next year.....Everyone's ideas sound great. I would love to do Steampunk again. Maybe Scandinavian authors of suspense/police procedural. Certainly an area I plan to explore a bit more next year. Robin, if you want me to do a guest post I would be happy to. No ideas on what but willing. :)

• Like 11

Each month I enjoy reading the What We're Reading column on the Word Wenches blog.  Here's the most recent one:

What We're Reading in November!

One of the commenting authors recommends a mystery that is currently free to Kindle readers: Sign Off (Caught Dead in Wyoming, Book 1) by Patricia McLinn

Regards,

Kareni

I really enjoy that blog but tend to forget about it until someone here brings it up again. So thank you for being the one to do it this time. :)

I see that one of them is reading the latest in one of my favorite historical mystery series - the Charles Lenox mysteries.

I haven't been reading much the last couple of days because I ended up being obsessed with the instant pot idea. Recipes and waiting for it to arrive has been much of the last couple of days. I haven't even read an entire cookbook just bits all over the place and lots of blogs. My first food is cooking, rice. I told my husband I needed it for rice. One of his friend's wanted me to buy a rice cooker and I said this would be better. More interesting if nothing else! Report is in, the rice is really nice. Dd says like Chinese restaurant rice.

I did finish another in my Savannah Reid (character) series reread Peaches and Screams https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1962530.Peaches_and_Screams. Enjoyable but dated in the way things are before they become classic. Plan to continue.

Trying to read the first DCI Banks and finding the first bit a slog. I love the TV show and may not be able to switch to the book series.

Next year.....Everyone's ideas sound great. I would love to do Steampunk again. Maybe Scandinavian authors of suspense/police procedural. Certainly an area I plan to explore a bit more next year. Robin, if you want me to do a guest post I would be happy to. No ideas on what but willing. :)

Although I've still been reading fiction I'm right there with you on Instant Pot reading. I picked up two pressure cooker books from the library yesterday and have been scouring websites and cooking blogs for recipes. I've yet to try rice but that's one of the things I was excited about being able to make in it. Glad to hear your report that it works well. 

I wish the DCI Banks series would come to AcornTV or Amazon or something. Our PBS station leaves shows up for a limited time and I often miss some of the British shows I want to watch. I should check my library for DVDs. I too tried one of the books but wasn't impressed. Sometimes, though rarely, tv adaptations of certain books are better. I think that's also the case with the Sidney Chambers books vs. the Grantchester tv series. I can't wait for the next season of Grantchester but I wasn't crazy about the book I tried to finish.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 11

Each month I enjoy reading the What We're Reading column on the Word Wenches blog. Here's the most recent one: What We're Reading in November!

One of the commenting authors recommends a mystery that is currently free to Kindle readers: Sign Off (Caught Dead in Wyoming, Book 1) by Patricia McLinn

Regards,

Kareni

I finally gave in and subscribed to the Word Wenches eletter! This month all the books were of interest. Thanks for the Caught Dead in Wyoming freebie. It was one that I was about to go hunting for!

• Like 8

Foodie related:  I got an InstantPot about a year and a half ago, as we were redoing the kitchen and I needed to have some devices to cook with (so I rationalized) and it quickly became an indispensable tool.  We eat a lot of beans here (holdover from my veg days) and we live on a farm so we have a lot of roosters hatched and dispatched...and the IP does a great job making broth from those tough mean boys.  Honestly I think the best feature about it is its saute function, though.  The pressure and speed part are just gravy to me.  And yes, I have made yogurt in it with our goat's milk...and even made a couple forms of cooked cheese (ricotta, quark).

So, sure, make your rice, as it does that wonderfully, mumto2! 

• Like 10

Question for those of you who read Georgette Heyer myssteries - Do they need to be read in any particular order? When I was at the library yesterday I checked out Behold, Here's Poison because it was the only one on the shelf. I see that in Kindle format that have more and all are available. Should I step back and read another one first, or can I start with the one I have?

• Like 11

I was able to finish listening to Northanger Abbey while packing last week.  That makes 5 out of 6 Jane Austen books I've managed to listen to in 2016.  And it's been so fun!  Henry Tilney must be one of the more patient heroes of an Austen novel.  Even Mr. Knightley loses his temper with Emma.  Catherine Moreland manages to be naive while at the same time feeling that other people just might not be acting right.  She needs some more confidence in herself as she is actually a better judge of character than she thinks.  I'm hoping to finish Emma before the end of the year! 

I had hoped to get more reading in last week seeing it was Thanksgiving Break  but filling in for Skye at work really took up some time :)  I'm glad that I picked an easy, fluff read for the week!  Venetia by Georgette Heyer was a perfect book for break.  It was a reread, but still totally enjoyable!  This time I really felt Edward's condescension!  Yuck!  Anyway, this book ranks up there with The Grand Sophy, Cotillion, and Sylvester as favorite Heyer's.  

And Venetia makes 52!!!!!  This is the first time I've hit 52 before December  :hurray:  To be fair, I have done 10 audio books this year, and I counted the three children's banned/challenged books that Stacia and I read as one book.  I always feel like "listening" to a book doesn't count  :blush: :lol: I've started my Christmas book for my IRL book club, and I need to start Anne of Avonlea this week too for our co-op class.  I don't know what I'll read for fun!  

Yay - Angel!  I think audiobooks totally count.  I find that I actually pay more attention to an audiobook than a paper book - you can't skim long scenic descriptions in an audiobook.

I forgot to include my audiobook listen of last week -

Amy - thank you!!for recommending the audio version of  The Parfit Knight by Stella Riley and read by Alex Wyndham. I loved it! good story, the heroine wasn't a flake and the hero was an honorable man, the secondary characters were interesting as well. I just bought and downloaded the audio for the next book in the series, The Mesalliance.

So happy you liked it!  I just downloaded The Messalliance too and plan to start it as soon as I'm finished with my current audiobook. 

Well, The Food of Love is full of sexy food and a couple of lusty Italians youths. One is a shy chef, the other is the chef's friend, a waiter pretending to be a chef in order to make a conquest of a young female American, who is looking for a conquest of her own. I'm only on chapter four and the author has already named almost every kind of pasta, four different sauces, wines, pastries, and a number of ways to serve coffee. I've also learned that when in Rome you eat Roman food, not food from other cities. Plus, there are important differences between the different kinds of restaurants. It is a very sensual, very Italian comedic story. Hopefully, it will stay lighthearted.

Report back when your done because that sounds delightful!

Alright ladies, put on your thinking caps. We have five weeks left in the year and time to start brainstorming ideas for the new year.  Yes, we'll do another bingo.  Still working on those prezzies. They'll be along eventually.   We're heading into year 2017 and our 8th round, so something surrounding numbers?  Hi brow, low brow, flufferton and arthurian, seasonal or steampunkish, undersea or outerspace, innerspace or sense of place.   Who is up for guest posts and ideas you want to discuss. Start shooting out ideas and we'll see what sticks.

I'd be happy to be a guest poster again next year. 

I think it might be fun to do a "book picked for you by another BaW member" next year again.  The two books assigned to me this year I loved!!  (Sunne in Splendor and The Eyre Affair)  Neither were books I would have picked up on my own and they would have sat forlornly on my to-read shelf until I got sick of looking at them and deleted them. 

Question for those of you who read Georgette Heyer myssteries - Do they need to be read in any particular order? When I was at the library yesterday I checked out Behold, Here's Poison because it was the only one on the shelf. I see that in Kindle format that have more and all are available. Should I step back and read another one first, or can I start with the one I have?

They can be read in any order.  I will warn you if you haven't read any of her mysteries before that they have a much different feel than her Regencies. 

• Like 14

I think we should all read a book about finance because I have four in my to be read pile and haven't got around to them yet.

Rosie, no one wants to think about FINANCES near CHRISTMAS!!   :lol:  :lol:   Or after Christmas...or at tax time...or during summer break...hmmm...I guess I NEVER want to think about finances  :P

I read plenty in that vein; my reading history is rife with books on d8ing and m8ing.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol:

Yay - Angel!  I think audiobooks totally count.  I find that I actually pay more attention to an audiobook than a paper book - you can't skim long scenic descriptions in an audiobook.

I am just the opposite!!  So far I can only listen to books I know really well!  I'm a daydreamer and NOT auditory, so I'll be off in my own little world and then realize that I missed Gandalf's great line or Elizabeth Bennett's witty one  :rolleyes:   I don't have good retention with the audio books.  But I'm trying to improve that a little.  

• Like 11

Re audio books: They definitely count! I can only listen to them while driving or keeping busy. I listen while folding laundry, chopping vegetables, doing general basic housework, even knitting or crocheting.

Congratulations to all who recently reached or passed 52 books!

They can be read in any order.  I will warn you if you haven't read any of her mysteries before that they have a much different feel than her Regencies. 

Thanks. And if you mean Regency romances no, I haven't read them. Romance novels aren't my thing, no matter the time period. I don't mind if a mystery (especially historical) has some romance in it like the Lady Emily, Lady Julia Grey, or Captain Lacey books, as long as the romance isn't the focus of the novel. 

• Like 12

About Inspector Banks:  I started reading these Peter Robinson novels in the late 90's, early 00's, long before the television program was made.  While I like the TV program, I much prefer the novels which are far more complex than the time limitation the dramatization allows.  But I am really wondering if part of the problem is how one discovers the series--books or television.

On that note, I have a hard time seeing the televised Inspector Banks (Stephen Tompkinson) outside of his role as Father Clifford on Ballykissangel!!  :lol:  I fully expect him to go to Fitzgerald's and ask Assumpta for a pint!

• Like 11

Re audio books: They definitely count! I can only listen to them while driving or keeping busy. I listen while folding laundry, chopping vegetables, doing general basic housework, even knitting or crocheting.

Congratulations to all who recently reached or passed 52 books!

Thanks. And if you mean Regency romances no, I haven't read them. Romance novels aren't my thing, no matter the time period. I don't mind if a mystery (especially historical) has some romance in it like the Lady Emily, Lady Julia Grey, or Captain Lacey books, as long as the romance isn't the focus of the novel. 

I had to laugh at that because before I found GH I didn't read romances either.

Well ...

This is awkward.

Especially since two of her romances on the way to your house right now.  If you find that you hate them then go ahead and re-gift them or pass them onto someone else. 

I don't know I feel like it's my duty to convert as many people as possible to reading GH but I guess I do ...

• Like 13

Foodie related:  I got an InstantPot about a year and a half ago, as we were redoing the kitchen and I needed to have some devices to cook with (so I rationalized) and it quickly became an indispensable tool.  We eat a lot of beans here (holdover from my veg days) and we live on a farm so we have a lot of roosters hatched and dispatched...and the IP does a great job making broth from those tough mean boys.  Honestly I think the best feature about it is its saute function, though.  The pressure and speed part are just gravy to me.  And yes, I have made yogurt in it with our goat's milk...and even made a couple forms of cooked cheese (ricotta, quark).

So, sure, make your rice, as it does that wonderfully, mumto2!

I do plan to make more things especially black beans for ds. He isn't a veggie but that's his fill up food of choice normally. They are a pain in the slow cooker so he generally eats a couple of cans a week. That is what we do with my left over rice! lol. Since they don't have them in our local grocery stores I have a standing Amazon order. Homemade are so much nicer.

I offered to try tonights pork loin in the instant pot and three no votes rang out loud and clear from different area's of the house. Not sure if I'm insulted or not!

About Inspector Banks:  I started reading these Peter Robinson novels in the late 90's, early 00's, long before the television program was made.  While I like the TV program, I much prefer the novels which are far more complex than the time limitation the dramatization allows.  But I am really wondering if part of the problem is how one discovers the series--books or television.

On that note, I have a hard time seeing the televised Inspector Banks (Stephen Tompkinson) outside of his role as Father Clifford on Ballykissangel!!  :lol:  I fully expect him to go to Fitzgerald's and ask Assumpta for a pint!

I discovered Banks because Tompkinson was in it but it was more a case of being thrilled to see a familiar face on my TV. One night he was just there! It took me awhile to figure out British TV takes a TV guide to navagate because shows start at odd times like 6:50, with no commercials frequently. A dvr recorder solved my issues. ;)

I love BallyK! Seeing Tompkinson in a different role doesn't bother me but this is being said by the person who is happily watching Peter Davidson ( my favourite Dr. Who possibly) in all his Detective roles.....currently enjoying The Last Detective. I didn't like the book series that the show comes from either. Perhaps it is how one discovers the characters.

Btw, I have moved on to The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern. Someday I may read the Inspector Banks series but not now.

• Like 9

I'm out of likes!

As much as I'm enjoying the books I've been reading, I think I'm going to give myself permission to put them aside for some time and read something shorter and easier. Life has been all over the place and I'm rarely finding more than 15-20 minutes to read before I fall into bed. At this rate I won't finish these tomes until summer. 

Tail of the Blue Bird may prove to be one of my favorite books of the year!  Before I started reading it,  I noted that there is a glossary online which I pulled up on my tablet.  But looking up the untranslated words in the story proved to disrupt the natural rhythm of Nii Ayikwei Parkes' novel.  So I decided to focus on context which I think is the right decision.

Thanks for mentioning these books. MIL would like me to send her a list of books I want for Christmas and I'm going to add Tale of the Blue Bird to it. (I'm also adding The Plover thanks to you. Perhaps you should just email my MIL directly next year?)

I think I might have seen a mention on the Tor site, and saw that there was a short story and planned to read it first, but then we spontaneously decided to go to the movies last night and so I watched it cold, with almost no foreknowledge other than a one-sentence "it's about a linguist that helps communicate with aliens during first contact"  And I'm glad I didn't know more! It was really mind-blowing, I've been thinking about it nonstop and I dreamed about it last night, but I don't want to spoil it for anybody. I did read a discussion last night that highly recommended the short story after seeing the movie, because the themes are more fully developed and there is less distraction - of course they threw in some military and international drama in the movie that wasn't in the story. This is a case where I'd actually suggest seeing the movie before reading, if you're planning to do both, because the movie unfolds in such an amazing way.

Ok, 'nuff about the movie till everyone sees it who wants to!!

We loved this movie! I agree it was mind-blowing and I have also spent hours thinking about it and the meaning of certain aspects of the story. There are so many interesting theories one can come up with! (Being vague here because of spoilers.) Amy Adams was a perfect casting decision, Jeremy Renner less so.

Can anyone recommend a few good thrillers/suspense/action novels for my son?

He asked for books for Christmas :hurray:  yay! but now I'm kind of stuck on what to get him. He's 26 and hasn't read much in the past several years and I would hate to give him clunkers that will turn him off to reading, kwim? He doesn't want audiobooks. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Any of the Jack Reacher books. No, they're not deep, but they're very good and addictive.

Bird update:

The gannets, having flown from their summer breeding grounds along the Eastern coast of Canada, are here. (And by here I mean the Atlantic where they will spend the winter.)  We have our first gannet of the season at the shelter.  It is robust juvenile that unfortunately got caught in some fishing line.  Damage to its tail feathers has resulted.

I adore gannets.

Nice photo and article on them here (courtesy of National Geographic).  Your interesting fact of the day:  the Wright Brothers studied gannets at Kitty Hawk when designing their plane.

I was biking over to the shelter to drop something off when I encountered the rehabber in the salt marsh where she was releasing a cormorant. Success stories are always good. 

Jane, thanks for the info about gannets. We were also happy to see the white crowned sparrows are at our feeder after being gone all summer. I get so excited when they come back.

• Like 12

Report back when your done because that sounds delightful!

It is fun, but parts of it are extremely blush worthy. There is a lot of symbolism associated with food, directly and indirectly, some that never would have occurred to me. 😳 I'm slightly embarrassed to be reading it. The truth is I think that everything sounds beautiful in Italian.

PSA: It's Mark Twain's birthday today.🎉

• Like 11

Well ...

This is awkward.

Especially since two of her romances on the way to your house right now.  If you find that you hate them then go ahead and re-gift them or pass them onto someone else. 

I don't know I feel like it's my duty to convert as many people as possible to reading GH but I guess I do ...

Oh, don't feel awkward. I will definitely give them a chance. I don't hate romances, they just aren't my thing. I recently read a novella that Kareni linked and I read one of ktgrok's Harlequin romance novels, and enjoyed both.

Thank you for thinking of me and sending them.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

Jane, thanks for the info about gannets. We were also happy to see the white crowned sparrows are at our feeder after being gone all summer. I get so excited when they come back.

This is so funny -- I was going to post the same thing about how happy I am each year when the white crowned sparrows return, but I was thinking how unsexy they are in comparison to gannets!

Dh and I saw Arrival the other day and also really loved it. It is definitely a movie you need to go into without any background information or spoilers. 

• Like 9

Btw, I have moved on to The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern. Someday I may read the Inspector Banks series but not now.

I did back away from the Inspector Banks series for a while.  The books were getting darker and I could not handle them.  Flufferton they are not!

This is so funny -- I was going to post the same thing about how happy I am each year when the white crowned sparrows return, but I was thinking how unsexy they are in comparison to gannets!

I am spoiled living in the land (or on the island) of sexy birds.  Gannets are ferocious though.  Think of them as the dominatrices of the avian world!

I really enjoy the classic read-alongs, Jane's Passage to India month was a highlight of the year. Author flavors are good too. I love the idea of author flavors from different continents/regions around the globe.

Thanks for saying this.  It was a highlight of the year for me too!

• Like 11

I can't resist mentioning foodie books I've enjoyed: Ruth Reichl's early books, On Rue Tatin by Susan Herrmann Loomis, and My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz (another favorite genre of mine is memoirs by ex-pats :) ).

Currently almost done with Merry Hall by Beverley Nichols, and starting Orthodoxy by GKC.

ETA: The mention of Hilary Mantel above (I'm catching up!) reminded me that I also brought her book "The Giant, O'Brien" (from the local library) along on my current trip to Utah, and I hope to read it before our upcoming visit to the Hunterian Museum (among other places), where his skeleton is on display (he was promised a Christian burial, but Mr Hunter's obsession with obtaining his bones led to betrayal). Looks like a fascinating but depressing read ...

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 10

Jumping in here to confess I just had a book-related spending accident.

It involved Cafe Press.

1st I typed in "bird" to their search engine and found two 'bird nerd' presents for my spouse.

2nd I typed in "chorale" for two presents for DS.

3rd I typed in "books and reading." I just bought 2 presents for myself...

It involved Cafe Press.

1st I typed in "bird" to their search engine and found two 'bird nerd' presents for my spouse.

Missing your "like" button.

• Like 9

I'd like to see specific links.  You can probably cause another spending accident (or three).

I originally thought you'd written "... a book-related spEEding accident" which really caught my attention.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I finished a mystery today which I very much enjoyed; I'll recommend it. 

A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series)  by Sherry Thomas

There is nothing graphic in this book but (highlight to view) infidelity and child sexual abuse are part of the story.

"USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas turns the story of the renowned Sherlock Holmes upside down…

With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London.

When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She’ll have help from friends new and old—a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her.

But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society’s expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind."

Now I'd like to read my favorite Sherry Thomas book, her historical romance Delicious, as one of the characters from that book is named in this book.  It's possible that there is more overlap as some other names seem familiar.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I'd like to see specific links.  You can probably cause another spending accident (or three).

I originally thought you'd written "... a book-related spEEding accident" which really caught my attention.

Regards,

Kareni

The book-related spEEding accident actually happened to a friend. She was listening to one of the Harry Potter audio books, it got to a tense part, and she put the pedal to the metal. $200 speeding ticket... She's grounded (at the age of 72!) from listening to Harry Potter while she's driving.

As to book-related links... This bag and this travel mug are headed my way.

The book-related spEEding accident actually happened to a friend. She was listening to one of the Harry Potter audio books, it got to a tense part, and she put the pedal to the metal. $200 speeding ticket... She's grounded (at the age of 72!) from listening to Harry Potter while she's driving.

Yikes!  I imagine a dull or boring book might have her doing 25mph on the freeway and be equally dangerous.

As to book-related links... This bag and this travel mug are headed my way.

Very nice!  I hope you'll enjoy them.  Your friend needs a bag that says Beware the Bookish Driver.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I do plan to make more things especially black beans for ds. He isn't a veggie but that's his fill up food of choice normally. They are a pain in the slow cooker so he generally eats a couple of cans a week. That is what we do with my left over rice! lol. Since they don't have them in our local grocery stores I have a standing Amazon order. Homemade are so much nicer.

I offered to try tonights pork loin in the instant pot and three no votes rang out loud and clear from different area's of the house. Not sure if I'm insulted or not!

I discovered Banks because Tompkinson was in it but it was more a case of being thrilled to see a familiar face on my TV. One night he was just there! It took me awhile to figure out British TV takes a TV guide to navagate because shows start at odd times like 6:50, with no commercials frequently. A dvr recorder solved my issues. ;)

I love BallyK! Seeing Tompkinson in a different role doesn't bother me but this is being said by the person who is happily watching Peter Davidson ( my favourite Dr. Who possibly) in all his Detective roles.....currently enjoying The Last Detective. I didn't like the book series that the show comes from either. Perhaps it is how one discovers the characters.

I have just started reseaching insta pot... Might be letting DH know that it's going on my Christmas list ...

I have been rereading/listening to all the Cat Who books this year.  It's been wonderful.  I think they've aged very well. 

Do you have a favorite in the series?

It involved Cafe Press.

It happens to the best of us.  Show us pictures when your accidental purchases show up. 

I have a fondness for Corduroy.

I have a fondness for him too.  :wub:   Such a sweet wonderful little story.  It's one of DS's favorites right now. 

• Like 9

Finished:

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer -  It was wonderful.  Some super funny parts. 

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford - This was so silly and just delightful.  I don't even know how to describe it.  An alternate history 1980's UK with time travel and some strange science fiction tidbits and lots of classical literature references.  I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I was smarter and more well read.  It was so clever that I just knew I was missing out on funny names and puns because I hadn't read enough books.  If you don't like absurd then this is not the book for you.  (Thanks for the recommendation Stacia - it's only taken us about six years but we found a book that crosses both of our beloved genres!)

• Like 13

I like the idea of a classic book read-together next year. Hopefully I will participate this time!

(Thanks for the recommendation Stacia - it's only taken us about six years but we found a book that crosses both of our beloved genres!)

:thumbup1: :lol:

I finished Kurt Vonnegut's Palm Sunday tonight. Overall, I liked many (but not all) parts of it. It's a collection-ish mix of essays, letters, speeches, short stories, etc.... Much of it is very typically Vonnegut. As usual, he has wise, witty, & wry words about the human condition as we go through this thing called life. Recommended for Vonnegut fans (but it's not what I'd recommend as a first book to read from him).

• Like 11

I have been rereading/listening to all the Cat Who books this year.  It's been wonderful.  I think they've aged very well. 

Do you have a favorite in the series?

It's been so long since I read most of them it wouldn't be fair to pick. I remember previously classing the really early ones in sort of an interesting background/that's where the cats came from category. Currently discovering they are REALLY GOOD and don't deserve the background label.

Do you have a favorite?

• Like 9

I finally had a chance to take another look at Kareni's Word Wenches link from yesterday. Did you guys know Barbara Michaels is Elisabeth Peters? If I did I forgot! I think I must have read some of these back in my Gothic Romance days. Anyway I have added Aimee Come Home to the list.

Also The Bollywood Affair was great. Fluffy reading but according to my Goodreads I gave it a five, which in my terms means it was done very well for the genre it is. I firmly believe that even fluff deserves fives when well done! :) ;)

Here's Kareni's link again http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2016/11/what-were-reading-in-november.html

• Like 11

Am I the only one who noticed she hasn't picked up History of the Renaissance World since February and is now binging?

Ahem. I have picked up HoRW often since February but I am behind.  I doubt if I'll have the book finished by year's end but maybe I should keep the faith. 

This brings up another question for the BaWers:  now that we have (almost) finished Susan's histories, is there another Read Through the Year in the offing?

• Like 12

This brings up another question for the BaWers: now that we have (almost) finished Susan's histories, is there another Read Through the Year in the offing?

I have finished HoRW :hurray: and was wondering the same. After three years of having a weekly history reading assignment, not having any is feeling a bit funny :D.
  • Like 12

My 30yo niece is moving to Melbourne later this month for a year long adventure down under.  I'd love some book suggestions from the Aussie BaW delegation, or anyone else for that matter! 

She doesn't need a book, she needs a web link: http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

Give me a yell if she wants to get out of town. We might be able to arrange a road trip. :)

Happy Sunday dear hearts! This is the beginning of week 48 in our quest to read 52 books. Welcome back to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also below in my signature.

52 Books blog - foodie books: Thanksgiving is over and even though our tummies are stuffed with turkey and more, we're heading into the season of food. All kinds of Christmas and Hanukkah and winter celebrations on the horizon so figured I'd present a mini challenge. Pick a book with food in the title or about food. It can't be a straight forward cookbook because that's just too easy. You have several ways to go with ingredients, seasoning, artistic creations, sensations, and other gastronomical delights. There are plenty of fun non fiction titles - Cravings, Fresh off the Boat, Relish, In Defense of Food, The Man Who Ate Food, Relish and Salt, as well as plenty of fiction titles such as

when%2Bin%2Bdoubt%2Badd%2Bbutter.jpg

Or one of my favorite series which you can argue isn't food, but talks about food and provides recipes at the end of the book - The Coffeehouse Mysteries by Cleo Coyle.

cleo%2Bcoyle%2Bcoffeehouse%2Bmysteries.j

Or how about this delightful book full of magical realism and yummy recipes

pomegranite%2Bsoup.jpg

I'm getting hungrier by the minute. *grin* Find all kinds of interesting books searching on Goodreads for Foodie Books, Popular Food Fiction, Food in Book Titles as well as Bustle's 13 Books All Food Lovers Should Read, plus Bon Appetit's 20 New Food Books to Read.

~cheers~

History of the Renaissance World - Chapters 85 and 86

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 47

I'm a big fan of Nigella Lawson's book How to Eat. Part memoir, part cookbook, part menu making instruction, I found it a fascinating read a number of years ago - 10 maybe. I still make baked chicken her way. I love her writing style, though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 11

The pronoun usage (ambiguous 'he') drove me nuts in Wolf Hall. Not sure if I was accustomed to it or if the writing changed in the second book. Your post reminds me though that a third volume is due. Anyone know when to expect that?

When I read Wolf Hall, I posited that it was purposeful on Mantel's part. Now I don't remember why. Let me find my review. Ah, yes, here it is: http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/2013/12/book-review-wolf-hall-by-hilary-mantel.html

Cromwell's antecedents were obscure too.

I should read Bring up the Bodies. Hmmmm.

• Like 11

My 30yo niece is moving to Melbourne later this month for a year long adventure down under.  I'd love some book suggestions from the Aussie BaW delegation, or anyone else for that matter! 

No recommendations here, but what a wonderful experience for your niece.  I hope she has a great time.

From Tor.com:

The Towers of the Sunset by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is the Tor.com eBook Club Pick for December!

We're happy to announce that our eBook Club pick for December 2016 is The Towers of the Sunset, the second book in L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s fantasy Recluce Saga. Why Book 2? Because The Magic of Recluce , the first book in L.E. Modesitt, Jr's long-running fantasy series series, is currently on sale for $2.99! This way, Tor.com Ebook Club members can get two books for three bucks! (Although if you don't want to buy Magic, that's also fine. The Towers of the Sunset can stand alone as its own story and introduction to the Recluce Saga.) This title will be available for download from December 1st to December 7th; for legal reasons the offer is only open to readers in the U.S. and Canada, but all are welcome to join the conversation on Tor.com throughout the month!

and

7 Great Binge-Reads for Long Holiday Stretches  by Stubby the Rocket

"It happens to us all: those hurry-up-and-wait stretches of time where we’re stuck on the train/tarmac/traffic jam, or our device is out of power, or we just need to disengage. Moments like these are perfect for marathon-length reads; those big big books and series that draw you in completely, which are so engrossing that the Earth turns without you.

And sure, The Lord of the Rings definitely fits that bill, but odds are you’ve already read that! What else does the trick? Below, the Tor.com staff shares some of their favorite marathon reads...."

After all, I'm certain that you're sitting twiddling your thumbs wondering how to fill the copious time you have at your disposal.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

My 10 year old son just helped me make jambalaya base.  It's now resting for 2 hours before we finish it.  And it smells SO good.  Ham, chicken, sausage, onions, garlic, herbs, spices... It's making me hungry!  :lol:

Book #118: Free Souls by Susan Kaye Quinn.  That's the last of the Mindjack trilogy (though there is a novellas/short stories/extras set I'm reading now).  I loved it.  It was the best one.  It turned out just how I wanted it to in the end, but there were several times in there I was absolutely sure it wouldn't.  And there was one thing I totally didn't see coming at all.  Well written.  I'm glad I gave the first book a chance (it was a freebie I got ages ago).

Book #119: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart.  That was also the last of the trilogy (there's a prequel we started last night).  It was as good as the other two.  The boys loved it.  They were so happy there was still one more book to read.

Book #120: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  I listened to it on audiobook.  I never listen to audiobooks.  I just can't focus.  Apparently, the exception is when I am doing something utterly mindless.  We've been redoing my daughter's bedroom for months and I had to fix the edges of the triangles on her wall and that took about 40 hours.  So that's why I started listening to Order of the Phoenix.  In July.  I finished it yesterday.  I'm really not a fan of audiobooks.  But I am, of course, a fan of the book.  I love Harry Potter and Order is my favorite of the series.

My record for most books read in a year is 126 (set last year).  I don't think I'll beat it this year.

• Like 13

Hey, Dawn.  :seeya:  Good to see you popping in!

I'm reading another dusty from my stacks...  Sjón's The Whispering Muse. With its mix/retelling of the story of Jason & the Argonauts, I can already say that this is definitely a book Rose would enjoy reading.

16059539.jpg

Already celebrated far beyond his native Iceland, the novels of Sjón arrive on waves of praise from writers, critics, and readers worldwide. Sjón has won countless international awards and earned ringing comparisons to Borges, Calvino, and Iceland's other literary superstar, the Nobel Prize winner Halldór Laxness. The Whispering Muse is his masterpiece so far.

The year is 1949 and Valdimar Haraldsson, an eccentric Icelander with elevated ideas about the influence of fish consumption on Nordic civilization, has had the extraordinary good fortune to be invited to join a Danish merchant ship on its way to the Black Sea. Among the crew is the mythical hero Caeneus, disguised as the second mate. Every evening after dinner he entrances his fellow travelers with the tale of how he sailed with the fabled vessel the Argo on its quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece.

What unfolds is a slender but masterful, brilliant, and always entertaining novel that ranges deftly from the comic to the mythic as it weaves together tales of antiquity with the modern world in a voice so singular as to seem possessed.

And, I picked up a pile of books from the library today, so hopefully some good stuff lined up next....

• Like 10

Hey, Dawn. :seeya: Good to see you popping in!

I'm reading another dusty from my stacks... Sjón's The Whispering Muse. With its mix/retelling of the story of Jason & the Argonauts, I can already say that this is definitely a book Rose would enjoy reading.

16059539.jpg

And, I picked up a pile of books from the library today, so hopefully some good stuff lined up next....

I may have finally made friends with Tapatalk. Maybe.

• Like 10