Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW48: Foodie Books

Robin M

I but wound up instead with Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I figure I'm on a roll this year with alternative Londons, might as well visit Gaiman's version.

I had this out from the library in October, but it went back without me reading it.  I will await your review to see if I should check it out again.  I've only read one Gaiman - The Graveyard Book - so I'm not super familiar with him.

Well, you are in luck because I have a 3-year-old that would love to spend a few days with Auntie Stacia.  Warning - he's not potty trained.  Warning - he wakes up REALLY early. 

Let me just check out shipping rates and get back to you ...

Whew.  Can you tell it's been a long day?

This had me smiling!!  I remember the days when Aly was 2 & 3.  I would say the same thing to my mom!

• Like 11

I love that golden era style of mystery but have never read Nero Wolfe.  He was always a favorite with my grandmother and she was my book soul mate.  I'll read a Nero Wolfe for our foodie challenge.

Be forewarned that there may be some racism/sexism within these books.  It is unfortunately of the period but it can be a problem for some of our gentle readers.

• Like 10

Ladies -  I'm still sad about what happened to RIchard III.  Such a tragic story.  I feel a little bit silly talking about it but I feel like it's made me slightly depressed.  If I had a time machine I think I would go back and save him somehow. 

Possibly this is why I try to stick to fluffy books ... otherwise I end up at the kitchen sink crying over dead monarchs. 

I am right there with you!!  I sobbed through the last 100 pages of that book. I'm so mad at Shakespeare for his hatchet job on Richard III too, and I don't think I'll ever forgive Thomas More for his so-called "eyewitness" accounts of his reign - when he was like, 4 years old?!?

The fact that it's a real story makes it so much more impactful than something like Game of Thrones, doesn't it?

• Like 15

Ladies -  I'm still sad about what happened to RIchard III.  Such a tragic story.  I feel a little bit silly talking about it but I feel like it's made me slightly depressed.  If I had a time machine I think I would go back and save him somehow. 

I feel the same way! My heart goes out to him. As if what happened wasn't bad enough, he's been maligned ever since as  having been completely evil. I don't know if you read my Goodreads review, but that last paragraph is really about wishing it all turned out differently not just for Richard but for the princes and many other characters too.

I'm currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept. I borrowed the Kindle version almost as soon as I finished The Sunne in Splendour but must say I'm not as in love with this book. Maybe it's because with Sunne you know it's about Richard III. There are numerous characters but in the end it's really all about Richard. It even says so in the title. With Christ and His Saints I keep wondering if it's about King Stephen, Empress Maud, the time period and the war between them, the fictional character she added, etc. I don't really know what the problem is, but it's just not as - captivating? interesting? fascinating? - as Sunne. I wanted to love it but the love just isn't there.

• Like 14

I love that golden era style of mystery but have never read Nero Wolfe.  He was always a favorite with my grandmother and she was my book soul mate.  I'll read a Nero Wolfe for our foodie challenge.

Be forewarned that there may be some racism/sexism within these books.  It is unfortunately of the period but it can be a problem for some of our gentle readers.

I tried one Nero Wolfe book based on the warm recommendations of family and friends, but threw it across the room in disgust abandoned it because the assistant, Archie Goodwin, was an absolute misogynist jerk. Can't bring myself to try another.

• Like 13

I am right there with you!!  I sobbed through the last 100 pages of that book. I'm so mad at Shakespeare for his hatchet job on Richard III too, and I don't think I'll ever forgive Thomas More for his so-called "eyewitness" accounts of his reign - when he was like, 4 years old?!?

The fact that it's a real story makes it so much more impactful than something like Game of Thrones, doesn't it?

Yes.  That's it exactly.  It was a real person that suffered so much and then to be villanized through history but those Tudor jerks ... it's just too much. 

I feel the same way! My heart goes out to him. As if what happened wasn't bad enough, he's been maligned ever since as  having been completely evil. I don't know if you read my Goodreads review, but that last paragraph is really about wishing it all turned out differently not just for Richard but for the princes and many other characters too.

I kept thinking about how people must have reacted to tragedy throughout the books.  The number of children that die was staggering. At the end I was surprised by how much I disliked Edward - he was such a dynamic interesting character but so self-centered that he caused all that turmoil. 

And don't get me started on Elizabeth Woodville.  Ugh. 

• Like 14

I've enjoyed re-reading a couple of books ~

A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses Book 2)  by Laura Florand; I will soon run out of her books to re-read.  (Some adult content)

"Ruthless. That was what they said about Damien Rosier. Handsome. Wealthy. Powerful. Merciless. No one messed with his family, because to do so they would have to get through him. No one thought he had a heart. Not even the woman he gave his to.

Cynical. That was what they said about Jasmin Bianchi. A top perfumer of her generation, Jess had achieved commercial success by growing a protective shell over a tender heart. The one time she cracked it open to let Damien in, he crushed it—after a night of unbelievable passion.

Lovers. That one magical night couldn’t survive the harsh light of dawn. When Jess woke up to discover the man in bed beside her had stolen her company, she fled.

Enemies. Now she’s come to the south of France with something of his. If he wants to reclaim both his family heritage and the woman who walked away from him, he’s going to have to fight as dirty as only Damien can.

But Jess knows how to fight dirty, too. And these days, she has nothing left to lose.

Certainly not her heart."

and Astounding!  by Kim Fielding.  This is a male/male romance with some out of this world elements.  (Adult content)

"Carter Evans is founder and editor-in-chief of Astounding!—a formerly popular spec fiction magazine currently in its death throes. Not only can he do nothing to save it, but stuck in a rathole apartment with few interpersonal connections, he can’t seem to do much to rescue his future either. And certainly all the booze isn’t helping. He snaps when he receives yet another terrible story submission from the mysterious writer J. Harper—and in a drunken haze, Carter sends Harper a rejection letter he soon regrets.

J. Harper turns out to be John Harper, a sweet man who resembles a ’50s movie star and claims to be an extraterrestrial. Despite John’s delusions, Carter’s apology quickly turns into something more as the two lonely men find a powerful connection. Inexplicably drawn to John, Carter invites him along on a road trip. But as they travel, Carter is in for some big surprises, some major heartbreak… and just maybe the promise of a good future after all."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I recommended The Sunne in Splendour to my one Yorkshireman friend.  Your glowing reviews, though, got me wondering if any of you (Amy, Kathy, Rose, or anyone else) have read Hilary Mantel's books on Thomas Cromwell (Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies)?  Despite all his machinations, Cromwell's home life (and all those dead children, and wife!) and his person were treated exceptionally sympathetically.  I enjoyed those two books immensely but my Yorkie friend *hated* them.

• Like 12

I recommended The Sunne in Splendour to my one Yorkshireman friend.  Your glowing reviews, though, got me wondering if any of you (Amy, Kathy, Rose, or anyone else) have read Hilary Mantel's books on Thomas Cromwell (Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies)?  Despite all his machinations, Cromwell's home life (and all those dead children, and wife!) and his person were treated exceptionally sympathetically.  I enjoyed those two books immensely but my Yorkie friend *hated* them.

I really liked the Mantel books, which was tough for me because I tend to be very sympathetic to Anne and she's not a particularly sympathetic character. I really, really liked how Mantel takes you "behind the eyes" of Cromwell and motivates all his machinations.  And in the end, he gets what he "deserves" does he not?  

Another series that has you kind of hating on the Tudors by the end.

• Like 14

I'm currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept. I borrowed the Kindle version almost as soon as I finished The Sunne in Splendour but must say I'm not as in love with this book. Maybe it's because with Sunne you know it's about Richard III. There are numerous characters but in the end it's really all about Richard. It even says so in the title. With Christ and His Saints I keep wondering if it's about King Stephen, Empress Maud, the time period and the war between them, the fictional character she added, etc. I don't really know what the problem is, but it's just not as - captivating? interesting? fascinating? - as Sunne. I wanted to love it but the love just isn't there.

Well, that's good to hear now. That book has been on and off of my TR list. I think I'll skip it based on your review of it so far.

• Like 9

I recommended The Sunne in Splendour to my one Yorkshireman friend. Your glowing reviews, though, got me wondering if any of you (Amy, Kathy, Rose, or anyone else) have read Hilary Mantel's books on Thomas Cromwell (Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies)? Despite all his machinations, Cromwell's home life (and all those dead children, and wife!) and his person were treated exceptionally sympathetically. I enjoyed those two books immensely but my Yorkie friend *hated* them.

The pronoun usage (ambiguous 'he') drove me nuts in Wolf Hall. Not sure if I was accustomed to it or if the writing changed in the second book. Your post reminds me though that a third volume is due. Anyone know when to expect that?

• Like 9

I read (listened to) both and enjoyed them. Cromwell wasn't made to seem as sympathetic as Richard III, but Mantel did make him human. He too came out more complicated and less evil than history would have us believe.

The pronoun usage (ambiguous 'he') drove me nuts in Wolf Hall. Not sure if I was accustomed to it or if the writing changed in the second book. Your post reminds me though that a third volume is due. Anyone know when to expect that?

I heard a lot of complaints about this yet it didn't bother me. I wonder if listening rather than reading is what made the difference. One would think that would actually make it harder, but I didn't find it to be confusing.

• Like 13

Maybe that was my friend's issue too (the ubiquity of male-singular pronoun) now that you all mention it.  It wasn't for me; I think I had just re-read Middlemarch right before Wolf Hall and so I was primed for a more...well, a closer than cursory reading was required.   Maybe I am just naturally sloppy! but I ate those books right up.  And I wondered if the 3rd would be forthcoming, considering Mantel won the Booker for the first 2?

• Like 11

Huh, I'm usually uber-critical about style issues, but I don't remember being annoyed by all the "hes."  

I am annoyed, however, that I can't find any recent word on when book 3 is likely to be released - 2015 is clearly no longer the correct answer.

Not as annoyed as at GRRM re: GoT.  I'm afraid the dude will die before he finishes the series. I hate when that happens.

• Like 14

I was able to finish listening to Northanger Abbey while packing last week.  That makes 5 out of 6 Jane Austen books I've managed to listen to in 2016.  And it's been so fun!  Henry Tilney must be one of the more patient heroes of an Austen novel.  Even Mr. Knightley loses his temper with Emma.  Catherine Moreland manages to be naive while at the same time feeling that other people just might not be acting right.  She needs some more confidence in herself as she is actually a better judge of character than she thinks.  I'm hoping to finish Emma before the end of the year! 

I had hoped to get more reading in last week seeing it was Thanksgiving Break  but filling in for Skye at work really took up some time :)  I'm glad that I picked an easy, fluff read for the week!  Venetia by Georgette Heyer was a perfect book for break.  It was a reread, but still totally enjoyable!  This time I really felt Edward's condescension!  Yuck!  Anyway, this book ranks up there with The Grand Sophy, Cotillion, and Sylvester as favorite Heyer's.  

And Venetia makes 52!!!!!  This is the first time I've hit 52 before December  :hurray:  To be fair, I have done 10 audio books this year, and I counted the three children's banned/challenged books that Stacia and I read as one book.  I always feel like "listening" to a book doesn't count  :blush: :lol: I've started my Christmas book for my IRL book club, and I need to start Anne of Avonlea this week too for our co-op class.  I don't know what I'll read for fun!  

Here's my 52 list...

*01.  Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (classic - the Arctic, Switzerland, Germany, England, Scotland - 18th century)

*02.  Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan (children's book - historical fiction - Norway - 20th century)

*03.  Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (BaW rec - Nigeria - 19th century)

*04.  The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (classic - reread - England -  18th century)

*05.  Harry Potter  and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - reread - England)

*06.  Lost Empire by Clive Cussler (Zanzibar, Tanzania, USA, Madagascar, Indonesia - 21st century)

*07.  The Original Miss Honeyford by M.C. Beaton (BaW rec - England - 19th century)

*08.  Bab: A Sub-Deb by Mary Roberts Rineheart (BaW rec - dusty - USA - 20th century)

*09.  A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (classic - BaW Feb. author - Italy and England - 20th century)

*10.  Beauty by Robin McKinley (fairy tale)

*11.  The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry Gabrielle Zevin (USA - 21st century)

*12.  The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (fairy tale)

*13.  The Bobbsey Twins Toy Shop by Laura Lee Hope (children's book - USA - 20th century)

*14.  Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs (BaW rec - USA  - 21st century)

*15.  Be Joyful by Warren Wiersbe (non-fiction)

*16.  Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings (fantasy - reread - audio)

*17.  The Hawk and the Jewel by Lori Wick (reread - England - 19th century)

*18.  The Night Villa by Carol Goodman (dusty book - England & Italy - 1st & 21st century)

*19.  Magician's Gambit by David Eddings (fantasy  - reread - audio)

*20.  Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings (fantasy - reread - audio)

*21.  Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (non-fiction)

*22.  The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert (USA - 20th century)

*23.  The Willow Valley Kids: The Treasure Hunt by Jean Pennington (children's book - USA - 20th century)

*24.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - reread - England)

*25.  Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper (fantasy - England - 20th century)

*26.  Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings (fantasy - reread - audio)

*27.  Jaws by Peter Benchley (reread - USA - 20th century)

*28.  Jackaby by William Ritter (BaW rec - USA - 19th century)

*29.  The Lost World by Michael Crichton (reread - USA, Costa Rica - 20th century)

*30.  Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*31.  Meg by Steve Alten (reread - Pacific Ocean & USA  - 20th century)

*32.  The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - England)

*33.  Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon (non-fiction - England & Egypt - 19th & 20th centuries)

*34.  Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*35.  The Mystery of History Volume 4 by Linda Lacour Hobar (non-fiction - 18th, 19th, 20th,  21st century)

*36.  The 6th Extinction by James Rollins (USA, Brazil, Antarctica - 21st century)

*37.  Women's Ministry in the Local Church by J. Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt (non-fiction)

*38.  A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (reread - USA - 20th century)

*39.  Nasreen's Secret School & The Librarian of Basra by Jeanette Winter and Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle (children's picture book - Iraq & Afghanistan - 20th & 21st century - banned/challenged )

*40.  The Judas Strain by James Rollins (USA, Italy, Christmas Island, Turkey, Iran, Cambodia - 21st century)

*41.  Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*42.  Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley (England - 20th century)

*43.  World War Z by Max Brooks (China, USA, Japan, Canada, Russia - 21st century)

*44.  Squashed by Joan Bauer (YA - USA - 20th century)

*45.  New Spring by Robert Jordan (fantasy - reread - audio)

*46.  For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (YA - England(?))

*47.  Persuasion by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*48.  Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (sci-fi - YA)

*49.  Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (classic - reread - Canada - 19th century)

*50.  The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (Mexico, USA, Albania - 20th century)

*51.  Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (classic - reread - audio - England - 19th century)

*52.  Venetia by Georgette Heyer (reread - England - 19th century)

• Like 21

I forgot to include my audiobook listen of last week -

Amy - thank you!!for recommending the audio version of  The Parfit Knight by Stella Riley and read by Alex Wyndham. I loved it! good story, the heroine wasn't a flake and the hero was an honorable man, the secondary characters were interesting as well. I just bought and downloaded the audio for the next book in the series, The Mesalliance.

• Like 11

Can anyone recommend a few good thrillers/suspense/action novels for my son?

He asked for books for Christmas :hurray:  yay! but now I'm kind of stuck on what to get him. He's 26 and hasn't read much in the past several years and I would hate to give him clunkers that will turn him off to reading, kwim? He doesn't want audiobooks. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 9

This is the first time I've hit 52 before December

Yay! Congratulations, Angel.

Can anyone recommend a few good thrillers/suspense/action novels for my son?

It's may not quite be what you have in mind, but I found Andy Weir's The Martian  to be thrilling, suspenseful, and full of action.  My adult daughter enjoyed reading it after having seen the movie.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Well, you are in luck because I have a 3-year-old that would love to spend a few days with Auntie Stacia.  Warning - he's not potty trained.  Warning - he wakes up REALLY early. 

Let me just check out shipping rates and get back to you ...

Whew.  Can you tell it's been a long day?

:grouphug:

And send him on. I could watch him a few days & read all sorts of fun books! :)  (As well as visit the jumpy play places. I really miss those -- the ones that were big enough for parents to play on too -- now that my kids are bigger!)

Let me know the ship date, though, so I can load up on caffeine first! :lol:

And Venetia makes 52!!!!!  This is the first time I've hit 52 before December  :hurray: 

Congrats on 52, Angel!

bananapiano.gif

• Like 10

I tried one Nero Wolfe book based on the warm recommendations of family and friends, but threw it across the room in disgust abandoned it because the assistant, Archie Goodwin, was an absolute misogynist jerk. Can't bring myself to try another.

Ugh, did not know this. I've not read the books only seen the series with Maury Chakin as Nero and Timothy Hutton as Archie. Thank you, ladies, for pointing this out. 

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 9

I know he has seen the movie of The Martian, maybe he'll be up for the book.  I know his brothers have all listened to the audiobook of Ready Player One and liked it a lot so I bet he'll like the book. And I've heard good things about the Boys in the Boat - that sounds like one for him, too!

Thank you both!

• Like 9

Some currently free Kindle books ~

A historical romance:  Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane Book 1) by Elizabeth Hoyt

another: The Secret Heart (No Better Angels, Book 1)  by Erin Satie

Contemporary fiction/romance: The Five Stages of Falling in Love  by Rachel Higginson  (there are other free books by this author)

A contemporary romance:  Ready to Fall (Lovestruck Librarians)  by Olivia Dade

A thriller: Situation Room  by Jack Mars

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Bird update:

The gannets, having flown from their summer breeding grounds along the Eastern coast of Canada, are here. (And by here I mean the Atlantic where they will spend the winter.)  We have our first gannet of the season at the shelter.  It is robust juvenile that unfortunately got caught in some fishing line.  Damage to its tail feathers has resulted.

I adore gannets.

Nice photo and article on them here (courtesy of National Geographic).  Your interesting fact of the day:  the Wright Brothers studied gannets at Kitty Hawk when designing their plane.

I was biking over to the shelter to drop something off when I encountered the rehabber in the salt marsh where she was releasing a cormorant. Success stories are always good. 

• Like 16

One consequence of having unboxed all my Georgette Heyer books is that when my current reading is not engaging, it's so easy to pull one off the shelf . . . 

Last night I grabbed Penhallow.  It's a mystery, but different from her other country-house mysteries, the detective/detecting bit isn't the focus. It's all about the characters and scene. Some of the most vivid character and room descriptions you'll ever read, all going to build up the psychological situation. The victim is a selfish, brutish invalid. Everyone in the house had reason and opportunity to kill him. Which of the many possible suspects did the deed? And why now?  This is probably her darkest book, but I've always loved it for the characterization and psychological realism. It's more of a PD James style mystery than an Agatha Christie style mystery.

• Like 13

Taking a cue from Mothersweets (and yes, even *I* liked Ready Player One so I would recommend that to your young man), my daughter is reading The Family Romanov right now and l-o-v-e loves it.  Ack.  I handed it to her on a bit of a lark last week (we are doing Early Modern using Oak Meadow 7 as a spine with lots of sidesteps with SoTW and Human Odyssey) and our trip through the Great czars (peter and catherine) last week before Thanksgiving scratched some itch for her.  Even though the Romanovs in question are not of this time period...it got me thinking she's ripe for more nonfiction history reading like it.

Really, it's some of the first reading she's doing that's not Quirky Plucky Kid (or Animal) in Impossible Situation kind of reading.  Nope, it's got (gasp) ADULTS in it, doing bad things, in an interesting period of time/part of the world she knows little about.  She's nearly 13, consumes mostly those apocalyptic or highschoolers-behaving-badly YA pop fiction for her free reads.  This book received the Orbis Pictus award...but wonder if your collective wisdom can perhaps share any other books as inviting as this one?

• Like 11

... my daughter is reading The Family Romanov right now and l-o-v-e loves it. 

... This book received the Orbis Pictus award...but wonder if your collective wisdom can perhaps share any other books as inviting as this one?

I haven't read that book, but my first thought would be to see what else the author has written that might also suit.  The author's The Great and Only Barnum: The Tremendous, Stupendous Life of Showman P. T. Barnum and Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart would doubtless be worth investigating.

I'll recommend books by Albert Marrin.  You can see some of his titles here though he has many more. Your library may well have some that are out of print.  Ah, here's a more complete list.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I know he has seen the movie of The Martian, maybe he'll be up for the book.  I know his brothers have all listened to the audiobook of Ready Player One and liked it a lot so I bet he'll like the book. h!

What's fun about the audio book is the narrator. Wil Wheaton was the perfect choice to narrate this book.

• Like 9

I have finished A Man Called Ove. It's one of this year's favorites for me. Highly recommended.

A few days ago I started No Exit and Other Plays by Jean-Paul Sartre. I found it in the thrift store last week. For foodie week, I checked out The Food of Love by Anthony Capella. It was on one of my goodreads recommendation lists. It is touted as a Cyrano deBergerac kind of story. We shall see.

• Like 11

Ummm, no. It's RC Bray who does the narration for The Martian, and does a fine job.

Wil Wheaton does the reading for almost all of John Scalzi's books, such as Red Shirts.

The Martian yes, but I bolded Ready Player One, which is narrated by Wheaton. Probably should have deleted the part of the quote that included the Martian. I didn't realize I left it in there.

• Like 8

Currently free books for Kindle readers ~

I read and enjoyed a different book by this author: The Traveling Man (The Traveling Series #1) by Jane Harvey-Berrick

This is a lengthy fantasy that looks intriguing: The Dragon Star (Realms of Shadow and Grace: Volume 1) by  G.L. Breedon

Described as G-rated urban fantasy: Dreamthief (Fairy World MD Book 1)  by Tamara Grantham

"Chosen by London Radio BBC 4 as a "BEST READ" – Dystopian apocalypse, Dystopian Adventure": The Forever Man - Pulse  by Craig Zerf

I'd previously posted the first novel in this now free trilogy: The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Series, Books 1-3: Justice Calling, Murder of Crows, Pack of Lies  by Annie Bellet

Christian young adult fantasy by a young author: Spark (Legends of the Shifters Book 1)  by J.B. North

A young adult fantasy that is likened to Dune and Dragons of Pern: Sands (Sharani Series Book 1) by Kevin L. Nielsen

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I just finished a book I found moving and also eye opening on the subject of domestic abuse; I recommend it.  In the author's note, she discusses the fact that she was born into an abusive home.

It Ends with Us: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

"SOMETIMES THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU IS THE ONE WHO HURTS YOU THE MOST

Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up - she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, and maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, but Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan - her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

With this bold and deeply personal novel, Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching story that breaks exciting new ground for her as a writer. It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 7

Well, The Food of Love is full of sexy food and a couple of lusty Italians youths. One is a shy chef, the other is the chef's friend, a waiter pretending to be a chef in order to make a conquest of a young female American, who is looking for a conquest of her own. I'm only on chapter four and the author has already named almost every kind of pasta, four different sauces, wines, pastries, and a number of ways to serve coffee. I've also learned that when in Rome you eat Roman food, not food from other cities. Plus, there are important differences between the different kinds of restaurants. It is a very sensual, very Italian comedic story. Hopefully, it will stay lighthearted.

• Like 8

Who was Louisa May Alcott and what is her famous book Little Women about?

"Women growing up in 19th Century Massachusetts were not expected to be particularly influential, or to fight for human rights, but Louisa May Alcott, one of the best-known female authors of the time, was rarely one to conform to type.

Alcott, who was born 184 years ago on Tuesday, became a famous feminist and campaigned for the abolition of slavery. She is best known, however, for writing Little Women, the iconic children's book that inspired millions.

Google has commemorated her birthday with a special Doodle displaying the characters of Little Women, who were based on Alcott's own family...."

Another currently free Kindle book.  This one is a coming of age book of a young gay man in the early nineties.

• Like 8

The Martian yes, but I bolded Ready Player One, which is narrated by Wheaton. Probably should have deleted the part of the quote that included the Martian. I didn't realize I left it in there.

D'oh (slapping forehead).  I see that now -- so sorry! I just saw the words "Martian" and "Wil Wheaton" and blithely ignored the rest. 

In other news for you fan girls out there...Lin-Manuel Miranda is producing film adaptations of Patrick Rothfuss's King Killer Chronicles!! Let the squeeing commence! From the article at Tor.com

• Like 9

Alright ladies, put on your thinking caps. We have five weeks left in the year and time to start brainstorming ideas for the new year.  Yes, we'll do another bingo.  Still working on those prezzies. They'll be along eventually.   We're heading into year 2017 and our 8th round, so something surrounding numbers?  Hi brow, low brow, flufferton and arthurian, seasonal or steampunkish, undersea or outerspace, innerspace or sense of place.   Who is up for guest posts and ideas you want to discuss. Start shooting out ideas and we'll see what sticks.

• Like 12

I'm still working on The Elder Races series, having just finished #7, Night's Honor.  I have taken a short detour for the new Kim Harrison book, The Operator, #2 in the Peri Reed Chronicles.

I finished The Operator a few days ago.  Personally, felt like a slog getting through as it seemed she kept going in circles.  Exhausted by the end of the story.   

• Like 8

Geez. Next year seems kind of imaginary atm.  :huh:

I think we should all read a book about finance because I have four in my to be read pile and haven't got around to them yet.

I think everyone should read Terry Pratchett, because that's why I didn't get around to reading the finance books.

Thoroughly enjoying The Miniaturist. The story gets more and more complex, or rather the characters do and those I thought rather one dimensional are turning out to be quite compelling after all. The plot thickens, too. I am loving the pace, the time taken to describe landscape, nuances, and the stillnesses and silences passing back and forth between the various characters.

• Like 13

I finished The Operator a few days ago.  Personally, felt like a slog getting through as it seemed she kept going in circles.  Exhausted by the end of the story.   

I finished The Operator earlier today, and exhausted is a good way to describe the feeling I had, exhausted and confused (but maybe that part is just me).    :willy_nilly:

• Like 8

We're heading into year 2017 and our 8th round, so something surrounding numbers?

2017 happens to be a prime number, so a post dealing with numbers/math sounds like a plan.  I nominate Jane to do a post.  (Aren't I a nice person?)

Since it will be the 8th round, maybe you have to read something w/ an 8 -- books can include an octopus, a spider, an octet, an 8-ball, or an 8-track tape.

I read plenty in that vein; my reading history is rife with books on d8ing and m8ing.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 16

Alright ladies, put on your thinking caps. We have five weeks left in the year and time to start brainstorming ideas for the new year.  Yes, we'll do another bingo.  Still working on those prezzies. They'll be along eventually.   We're heading into year 2017 and our 8th round, so something surrounding numbers?  Hi brow, low brow, flufferton and arthurian, seasonal or steampunkish, undersea or outerspace, innerspace or sense of place.   Who is up for guest posts and ideas you want to discuss. Start shooting out ideas and we'll see what sticks.

Why, yes, I would love to volunteer!

Since it will be the 8th round, maybe you have to read something w/ an 8 -- books can include an octopus, a spider, an octet, an 8-ball, or an 8-track tape. :lol:

Funny you should mention this. Sy Montgomery's Soul of an Octopus on is my TBR list.

2017 happens to be a prime number, so a post dealing with numbers/math sounds like a plan.  I nominate Jane to do a post.  (Aren't I a nice person?)

I read plenty in that vein; my reading history is rife with books on d8ing and m8ing.

Regards,

Kareni

Snort! 

I absolutely loved the readalong I hosted earlier in the year for A Passage to India.  My personal inclination is to focus on a single classic over a month but if our fellow readers would prefer an overview of books within a category, I could do that instead.  Numbers and math as Kareni suggested or a broad view of Eastern European lit (something I have been meaning to do for a while now) are two possibilities.

Also--are we doing Secret Santa again?

• Like 14