Menu

Speaking of cold weather...

thermostat temp?  

1. 1. thermostat temp?

• 66 or below
    • 75 or higher

I am in Chicago, so we get cold. I keep it set at 72. I don't like keeping it that hot. It costs too much, but I have a son with sickle cell disease. Sickle cell gets worse when it is too cold. It seems we have a lot less time in the hospital if I keep it at 70 or 72. I would rather have the heating bills than hospital stays.

We have gas heat and in the day it's set at 68. we have horrible drafts from the windows(some with no curtains to help) and it's chilly in here. Even me, who's always hot/sweating, is cold this winter! I had it at 66 at night, but dh complained so much I moved it up to 68 as well.

I wish we could keep it lower, but the kids and dh are cold. (isn't that they make sweater/sweatshirts?)

66-68F during the day, thermostat at the top of our open stairwell. Then 65F in the evening and 63F at night.

The kids' fleece pjs keep them comfortable at night, and they sometimes wear a fleece pullover during the day. I wear multiple layers, including leggings under my dress, and drink hot tea, and I do chores when I feel cold. My husband wears a thick shirt-jacket as a second layer when he's home. We always have a warm lap blanket to pull over our legs when we're sitting. In the evening I tend to wear wristwarmers -- knitted mini-sleeves that keep my wrists and lower hands warm.

On a sunny day at 30F or higher, our sunroom is warm and cozy by afternoon, and even helps heat the house -- but not today with high clouds and temps in the 20s all day, sigh.

We set ours for 68 during the day. It's set for 65 at night. In our old house, we did 65 during the day and 62 at night, but it seems much colder in our new home. Maybe I should have the thermostat checked. This couldn't possibly be because we're getting older!

Lisa

I have everything set for 68 but I am positive ti is never that. I have six thermostats and none seem to very reliable. So I am wearing sweats and socks and a sweater. But I am a wuss. I have spent the last twenty years in the south (DEEP) or in the Southwest. This negative windchill thing is killing me!

Well, I voted 66 or under, but it does fluxuate. I keep it around 63-64 during the day. Hubby bumps it up to 66 when he gets home (and then he feels all toasty when the heat kicks on! LOL!) I get up in the AM, see him off, and then go set it back to 64. We're in Northern AL, and this past few days the poor HVAC hasn't shut off at all. Brrrrr! Fortunately, we don't really need it too much the rest of the time.

what do you set your thermostat at?

btw ours is set at 67 degrees.

I keep ours around 68. DH likes it warmer than I do - he would put it up at 70 or 71 if I would let him. :D Fortunately, it's really not that cold here. Most of the time I wear short sleeves and sometimes even shorts.

We keep our thermostat at 70 day and night. I used to turn it down at night but I HATED getting up with a crying child and FREEZE! yuck. It didn't help that our house is all hardwood floor... COLD!! I guess that makes me a wimp.

Then again... I live in Canada... where it was recently -22* (yes, you read that right!!) Fahrenheit this past weekend. I'm practically in the Arctic! ahhhhhh

Just thinking about the weather outside is making me want to reach for a coffee...

I wish I could save money by turning down the temp at night... :(

Well, I voted 68, but that's not quite right. The thermostat is in a funny place, so we set it at 68 but the main floor of our house is actually about 63. It really is 68 upstairs, though. I think the upstairs is better insulated than the downstairs. We have quite a lot of window caulking and stuff to do down here, along with all the duct-work insulating and floor joist insulating that is currently going on in the basement.

We set the thermostat at 55 at night.

I wear wool slippers, long pants, and a fleece pullover and still feel cold. This house is just plain, old cold. My nose is cold, if that tells you anything. Fortuately we don't pay for the heat.

The benefit of a cold house, of course, is that in the summer the a/c almost never runs.