Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW45: bookish babble

Robin M

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having trouble keeping up with the thread ... Stacia, and OnceUponATime, I hope you ladies feel better soon. I wish I could have y'all over for coffee and tacos and putting your feet up.

At last done with my collected poetry of Matthew Arnold. My girls have been on fire for poetry lately, which has made me reach for some things I haven't read in years. We read and took apart some Ferlinghetti the other day; and we all read a little Whitman together, with the girls writing their own pieces afterwards in Whitmanesque manner. We've dipped into Milton and Housman lately (bits of Paradise Lost led to the inevitable quotation from "Terence, This Is Stupid Stuff"--we tend to go sideways a lot.) Wee Girl, who used to tell me she hated poetry, has exempted Stevenson, and Belloc's cynical silliness, from that judgment, as well as "songs," which made room for me to slip a classic songbook into her reading pile. Hey, the Nobel committee thinks it counts.

I think I will dedicate the next few years to poetry and clothing. A little Housman that came to mind Wednesday morning, as unaccustomed drizzle dripped through Central Texas:

Then I saw the morning sky:

Heigho, the tale was all a lie;

The world, it was the old world yet,

I was I, my things were wet,

And nothing now remained to do

But begin the game anew.

Halfway through Dostoevsky's Devils; probably not able to finish by the weekend though.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 15

Regarding 18th century reading.... I'm a fan of Walpole and Radcliffe, Sterne and Richardson, but I can see how others might not be. But some other less obvious suggestions: for a spicy read, there's Roxana, and Fanny Hill. Marquis de Sade, if you can stand it. For poetry, Blake and Burns and Byron. And the immortal Wordsworth, and the opiated Coleridge. Lots of good women's writing besides Austen: Fanny Burney, Maria Edgeworth, Charlotte Lennox. Lady Mary Wortley Montagu is someone to get to know. A General History of the Pyrates, by Defoe (probably). Oh so much good reading.

• Like 13

Regarding 18th century reading.... I'm a fan of Walpole and Radcliffe, Sterne and Richardson, but I can see how others might not be. But some other less obvious suggestions: for a spicy read, there's Roxana, and Fanny Hill. Marquis de Sade, if you can stand it. For poetry, Blake and Burns and Byron. And the immortal Wordsworth, and the opiated Coleridge. Lots of good women's writing besides Austen: Fanny Burney, Maria Edgeworth, Charlotte Lennox. Lady Mary Wortley Montagu is someone to get to know. A General History of the Pyrates, by Defoe (probably). Oh so much good reading.

But, but, but---Smollett!!  I'm thinking of reading Humphry Clinker, VC.

Also, let's add Fielding to VC's list.  Tom Jones is one of my favorites.

• Like 12

But, but, but---Smollett!! I'm thinking of reading Humphry Clinker, VC.

Also, let's add Fielding to VC's list. Tom Jones is one of my favorites.

Oh, I thought those were obvious. ;) No, actually, thanks for catching that.

Dh wants me to add Newton's Principia Mathematica (in English). And Hume's Treatise and Inquiry. Okayyyyyyy....

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 13

Isn't Austen 19th century? At least as far as the publication date of her best known books?

• Like 9

I've got a bad, bad case of election-induced attention deficit disorder. I open my laptop to check on this thread, then can't stop myself from checking facebook, and then move to the news, after which I get really depressed and return to the safe haven of this thread. But I can't wrap my mind around 18th century literature -- I can't really settle down and focus on anything for terribly long, so decided I need a reading-diet of simple, straightforward mysteries. 

My library visit yesterday yielded a Kate Burkholder mystery, another Mary Russell entry and as well as something new, the first Simon Serrailler mystery by Susan Hill. And when I finish those I still have 2 or 3 more Phryne Fisher titles in my dusty stack. I plowed through Among the Wicked yesterday, the 8th in the Kate Burkholder series.  It wasn't anything terrific, but it was an easy read with familiar characters, and it kept me away from the temptations of the internet.

But back to that 18th century literature. My Wednesday quartet recently has been reading through all of Mozart's early quartets. Reading -- the word used when you gather to play for fun rather than rehearsing for a performance. Yep. I am (half-heartedly) suggesting I've got the 18th century covered!  :nopity:  :D Don't think I can cover the Arthurian bingo square with music, though. There are no productions of Camelot in my near future!

• Like 15

Jenn, may I respectfully suggest that many people I know are responding to the election by resolving to volunteer in their community and join Audubon? The news is not all bad. Sometimes it takes a traumatic event to change people's behaviour. n the lighter side. I suggest a rereading of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Keep your towel handy and don,t panic. : ) And I don't see why you can,t read music for your 18th century box. It is still reading.

Nan

• Like 13

I was trying to find an "I" book for the A to Z Challenge, and though I ran across a couple good options, I decided to try Illumine by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.  I bought this for Skye last year for Christmas, but she hasn't read it yet.  It was a long book at 599 pages, but the formatting was unique so their wasn't really 599 pages of reading.  I give it kudos for imagination.  The storyline picked up about a third of the way through when a virus was introduced.  The format, while unique, made it hard to attach to the characters, that and I didn't feel a large amount of character development.  Overall, though, it was just ok.  The last 20 pages or so ended up salvaging the book.  Though most of the really bad language was blacked-out in a redacted form, there was still plenty left which was off-putting.  I don't like to see that in a YA book.  I'm not sure I get the praise that this book received.

I finished Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery last night.  I wish I had had the time to really savor this.  Though it's a reread, it has been awhile and it's such a joyful read.  I adore Anne!  Aly and her friend are reading this for co-op (we are going to go through the whole series), and I am looking forward to sharing and discussing the books with them!  So many quotes and morals!  Just delightful!

• Like 11

Yesterday I finished Take Me Home Tonight (Rock Star Romance Book 3)  by Erika Kelly.  It was a pleasant read and I enjoyed it; however, it might have benefited by being twenty percent shorter.  (Adult content).

"Calix Bourbon might seem like a free spirit, but that’s all a front. In reality he’s just trying to keep his fractured family together while working as a session musician. When Blue Fire hires him to replace their keyboardist, Calix is determined to make the most of the opportunity—but he can’t help being distracted by the band’s sexy personal chef.

Mimi’s temporary gig is great, but she has her heart set on auditioning for a televised cooking show. There’s just one problem: she only has a week to acquire the skills necessary to survive the competition. Luckily, the band’s new keyboard player can teach her exactly what she needs, in the kitchen and in the bedroom..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

... I decided to try Illumine by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.  ... I'm not sure I get the praise that this book received.

I read about a third of Illuminae before giving up.  I had been attracted to the book because of the epistolary format.  Had I been in a different frame of mine or were there not more compelling books awaiting me, I might have continued on; however, it also did not live up to my expectations.  

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I was trying to find an "I" book for the A to Z Challenge, and though I ran across a couple good options, I decided to try Illumine by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.  I bought this for Skye last year for Christmas, but she hasn't read it yet.  It was a long book at 599 pages, but the formatting was unique so their wasn't really 599 pages of reading.  I give it kudos for imagination.  The storyline picked up about a third of the way through when a virus was introduced.  The format, while unique, made it hard to attach to the characters, that and I didn't feel a large amount of character development.  Overall, though, it was just ok.  The last 20 pages or so ended up salvaging the book.  Though most of the really bad language was blacked-out in a redacted form, there was still plenty left which was off-putting.  I don't like to see that in a YA book.  I'm not sure I get the praise that this book received.

I read about a third of Illuminae before giving up.  I had been attracted to the book because of the epistolary format.  Had I been in a different frame of mine or were there not more compelling books awaiting me, I might have continued on; however, it also did not live up to my expectations.  

Regards,

Kareni

I had just picked this up from the library, but now it's going back in the bag. Thanks for saving me the effort . . . it's not really a format I enjoy anyway.

• Like 8

I just finished a very enjoyable book by Sherry Thomas; it is the author's first contemporary romance.  (Adult content)  If you have an interest in the Lord of the Rings books, this will hold even more interest for you.

The One in My Heart  by Sherry Thomas

"When Evangeline Canterbury meets the gorgeous, intriguing doctor next door, all she wants from him is a bit of distraction, to help her get over a few rough days.

Her one-night stand, however, has other plans: He needs an accomplished and presentable girlfriend to bring before his parents—and for six months of her time, he is willing and prepared to spend an obscene amount of money.

Nothing but trouble can come of such an arrangement. But can Eva stop herself? Or will she fall headlong in love with a man who will leave her when their contract expires with a smile, a check, and hardly a backward glance?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I've got a bad, bad case of election-induced attention deficit disorder. I open my laptop to check on this thread, then can't stop myself from checking facebook, and then move to the news, after which I get really depressed and return to the safe haven of this thread. But I can't wrap my mind around 18th century literature -- I can't really settle down and focus on anything for terribly long, so decided I need a reading-diet of simple, straightforward mysteries. 

My library visit yesterday yielded a Kate Burkholder mystery, another Mary Russell entry and as well as something new, the first Simon Serrailler mystery by Susan Hill. And when I finish those I still have 2 or 3 more Phryne Fisher titles in my dusty stack. I plowed through Among the Wicked yesterday, the 8th in the Kate Burkholder series.  It wasn't anything terrific, but it was an easy read with familiar characters, and it kept me away from the temptations of the internet.

But back to that 18th century literature. My Wednesday quartet recently has been reading through all of Mozart's early quartets. Reading -- the word used when you gather to play for fun rather than rehearsing for a performance. Yep. I am (half-heartedly) suggesting I've got the 18th century covered!  :nopity:  :D Don't think I can cover the Arthurian bingo square with music, though. There are no productions of Camelot in my near future!

I found the Kate Burkeholder series to be oddly distracting last summer also. I think I have said this before but you would enjoy the Julia Spencer Fleming series also. The first book in that series is a necessary read although I didn't particularly care for it, I listened to most of the series and the first one repeated the amazement that a woman priest can exist way too many times. The story was good but those scenes really tempted to stop!

I found the audio book for the first in your Susan Hill series. I plan to give it a try as soon as I finish The Twelve, all 25 or so hours of it. Since I can't seem to read it I decided to listen to it while doing my Christmas Crafting.

I just finished reading the second in a series, Charlaine Harris' Midnight Series, that I had completely forgot about. Day Shift was pretty good considering that I remembered very little of the ongoing story line. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25250449-night-shift. I put the last one on hold so I can read it before I forget it all again! Finding completed series really is easier......

I did finish listening to The Muralist https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25074713-the-muralist by BA Shapiro. It was sad overall with rays of hope. Much of it took place in New York's art world during the 1940's. A young Jewish French artist was the central character. Her frantic attempts to get visas for her European family members much of the story. Mental illness of the extremely gifted was another theme. Does it need to be present for that level of creativity? Thought provoking but not fabulous. I'm not trying to write a review that gets many here to read this book! ;) I only gave it three stars......

• Like 9

Perhaps it was just the timing, but I really enjoyed Steinbeck's political satire The Short Reign of Pippin IV. Very silly. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. But VC or Mr. VC might enjoy it. Should I send it your way?

Hang on, I think we might actually have it lurking around here in a collected Steinbeck. Off to check...

• Like 7

The other 18th century book I thought about reading is A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft.

I've got that to read for 18th century slot too. Amazon has a free kindle version of it.

I've been in a major funk for the better part of the week and am now seeking feel good, comforting, uplifting, inspiring reads for the foreseeable future.

In other news, we have to change our Thanksgiving menu from turkey to seafood. A flock of 7 wild turkeys keep visiting our deck and peering in the door at us.

I found the Kate Burkeholder series to be oddly distracting last summer also. I think I have said this before but you would enjoy the Julia Spencer Fleming series also. The first book in that series is a necessary read although I didn't particularly care for it, I listened to most of the series and the first one repeated the amazement that a woman priest can exist way too many times. The story was good but those scenes really tempted to stop!

I found the audio book for the first in your Susan Hill series. I plan to give it a try as soon as I finish The Twelve, all 25 or so hours of it. Since I can't seem to read it I decided to listen to it while doing my Christmas Crafting.

I see I have the first title, In the Bleak Midwinter, in my "to be read" list at goodreads, and it is in the library system in town, so I'll get to it soon! Thanks for the reminder.

I'm 6 or 7 chapters into the Susan Hill book, but sleep took over last night and I couldn't get any farther. 

Off to preside over my quilt guild's meeting this morning! 

• Like 11

I finished Aunt's aren't Gentlemen, which was delightfully madcap slapstick humor. I've started Inferno by Dan Brown. I had read Angels and Demons and the Davinci Code many years ago when my then teens were interested. Since then I've ignored his books. But since Inferno is coming out in theaters, and I read Dante last year, I thought I would give it a try, with the condition that I could quit if I hated it. Then I saw that mumto2 gave it four stars on goodsreads and I was encouraged. So, far it is fast paced and has the mark of a captivating story, as long as you can suspend disbelief.

• Like 12

I've been in a major funk for the better part of the week and am now seeking feel good, comforting, uplifting, inspiring reads for the foreseeable future.

In other news, we have to change our Thanksgiving menu from turkey to seafood. A flock of 7 wild turkeys keep visiting our deck and peering in the door at us.

I hope that you'll find a comforting book and that the major funk will soon be a thing of the past (or at least demoted to a private funk).

I hope you enjoy your new Thanksgiving dinner plan.  My advice: don't visit the ocean or an aquarium in the next two weeks.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Last night I finished Break My Fall by Jessica Scott which was a pleasant read but not one of my favorites by this author.  (Adult content) 

"Violence

I'm addicted to it. It's how I feel alive. It's the only thing that's real any more.
And now I have to sit around and discuss it like it's physics or calculus. I can't do it. I can't pretend that it's some sterile academic topic. Violence isn't sterile. It isn't calm. It's pulsing. It's alive.
It's my drug.
Until I met Abby, I never wanted anything beyond the next fight. Never considered that I might finally find a way back to the land of the living.
Now? Now I find myself dreaming of a woman with golden eyes.
But I can never be with her. Because I am not whole. And I never will be again.
But I cannot stay away.
And loving her might finally be what breaks me. "

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 6

Feel better Stacia and Onceuponatime (and anyone else I might have missed).

:seeya: shukriyya - Good to see you. Glad you popped in.

JennW, I've been hiding in fictional worlds. My online time has been mostly spent on Goodreads, Amazon kindle forums, and here. I might just live in this world forever. 

I didn't realize that the Grantchester book is a collection of short stories. Apparently they made full episodes out of each story, though I thought each episode was based on a full novel. The stories are okay, not great (the tv series is actually better imo), but it's good when I want something quick to read.

I started listening to One Corpse Too Many, the second Brother Cadfael book. I downloaded Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man free from Audible, but I couldn't get into it. I'll try again another time. 

• Like 12

I finished up The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise today. The front cover says it is hilarious. I didn't find it so. It was mildly amusing, except for the fact that the memory of a horrible personal tragedy runs like thread through the whole story dampening any humor. Also, the book needed an editor. The author used a couple of phrases repeatedly that made it sound like she hadn't given much thought at being original with her words. Three times people "collapsed into a deck chair."

Next up, Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P.G. Wodehouse. I need some humor while I'm blowing my nose, which is pretending it is a faucet.

If PG Wodehouse can't heal you then nothing can.  Just in case maybe some lemon tea too?  And honey? 

Hope you get feeling better.

Jenn, may I respectfully suggest that many people I know are responding to the election by resolving to volunteer in their community and join Audubon? The news is not all bad. Sometimes it takes a traumatic event to change people's behaviour. n the lighter side. I suggest a rereading of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Keep your towel handy and don,t panic. : ) And I don't see why you can,t read music for your 18th century box. It is still reading.

Nan

I love this!

I finished Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery last night.  I wish I had had the time to really savor this.  Though it's a reread, it has been awhile and it's such a joyful read.  I adore Anne!  Aly and her friend are reading this for co-op (we are going to go through the whole series), and I am looking forward to sharing and discussing the books with them!  So many quotes and morals!  Just delightful!

Anne was one of those books that I wish I had read when I was 10.  I read it as an adult and loved it but I feel like there would have even been more magic in the book if my silly 10 year old self would have read it. 

• Like 10

Feel better Stacia and Onceuponatime (and anyone else I might have missed).

:seeya: shukriyya - Good to see you. Glad you popped in.

JennW, I've been hiding in fictional worlds. My online time has been mostly spent on Goodreads, Amazon kindle forums, and here. I might just live in this world forever. 

I didn't realize that the Grantchester book is a collection of short stories. Apparently they made full episodes out of each story, though I thought each episode was based on a full novel. The stories are okay, not great (the tv series is actually better imo), but it's good when I want something quick to read.

I started listening to One Corpse Too Many, the second Brother Cadfael book. I downloaded Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man free from Audible, but I couldn't get into it. I'll try again another time. 

I'm trying to limit myself to one Brother Cadfael book a month so I can enjoy them for at least a year.  Otherwise I'm going to just listen to them back to back because he's my new literary crush. 

I didn't know that Amazon Kindle had forums.  I should investigate those because anywhere that people are talking about books is a place I should be.

• Like 8

Popping back in to say hi. 

Ds and I finished reading The Paper Magician. It's been likened to The Night Circus but I don't see the similarity, really. Night Circus was written to an older audience, too. I'm currently reading The Sisters Weiss. It's middling. Listening to The Miniaturist. It's good. 

Feeling Leonard Cohen right now. What a heart!

Shukriyya, I just want to say I have loved seeing your aviator today when I have checked on the thread. Made me smile. Great to see you here! :grouphug:

• Like 9

Regards,

Kareni

I almost gave it up after over 200 pages.  Then I realized that I at least wanted to know what happened or if they were just going to float around in space forever, and it was going quickly, and (more importantly) it was the "I" book I had picked for the A to Z challenge.  :lol:

I had just picked this up from the library, but now it's going back in the bag. Thanks for saving me the effort . . . it's not really a format I enjoy anyway.

I didn't mind the format, though it really doesn't allow for any flow of the book or deep character development...hmm, maybe that means that I did mind the format.  

Anne was one of those books that I wish I had read when I was 10.  I read it as an adult and loved it but I feel like there would have even been more magic in the book if my silly 10 year old self would have read it. 

I did read it  as a kid, and boy did I identify with Anne's imagination!   :laugh: I was so pleasantly surprised that I still felt the magic of it as an adult!

• Like 8

#110: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart.  This one was just as good as the first in the series.  The boys love these books (we read them at bedtime).  I love the puzzles.  The boys have fun trying to solve them before the kids in the book can.

#111: The History of the Renaissance World by Susan Wise Bauer.  Loved it!  I never knew much about the Crusades and definitely not that there were crusades within Europe.  I was struck by how much like Jihad the Crusades were as far as "infidels" and rewards in heaven/absolution of sin.  I learned tons of other things, but the Crusades stuff was the biggest "wow, I never knew pretty much any of that..."

• Like 9