Menu

Things someone said on this board that helped or made an impression on you.

J-rap

Whaaa? I have tried this before to save time but it made the pasta awful and mushy.

Did you use gluten free? I'm pretty sure they said it wouldn't work with gluten free.

I do it all the time now with regular old Skinner or other type dried pasta though and by the time it boils it's usually done within a minute or two. 

ETA: Here's a link http://altonbrown.com/cold-water-method-pasta-recipe/

Also,The Food Lab book by the seriouseats guy has you cook pasta this way for his mac n' cheese recipe. 

Edited by texasmom33

Years ago I learned to always ensure I had actually swallowed my beverage completely before even THINKING about reading ANYTHING posted by or commented on by RemudaMom.  Nuff said!  :lol:

Eons ago, Janice in NJ always closed her posts with something along the lines of, "Enjoy your little people."   :wub:

• Like 9

Dab rum behind each ear and put on your big girl panties - Remudamom

Develop rhino skin - Peekaboo (this isn't quite right but I know that she had rhino skin and it has helped me to get some too.)

Pass the bean dip - Joanne

Be the duck - I'm afraid that I can't remember who this came from

Jean, I think it was you who once said something to the effect of 'maybe trailer park to ivy league is too big a jump in one generation'

I think about that often. It goes with the marathon and child you have comments for me - work with what I have, do what we can, but don't kill myself along the way.

• Like 3

Milovany and Patty Joanna and a couple other ladies made a serious impression on me starting about 5 years ago. In threads about religion and various hot button issues, they always came across as so humble and truly caring about how others felt. They were so gracious with people. They didn't have to be right. Through them, I discovered Eastern Orthodoxy and now this many years later, my entire family is Orthodox. They were truly a blessing to me and helped in changing my life forever.

• Like 6

Jean, I think it was you who once said something to the effect of 'maybe trailer park to ivy league is too big a jump in one generation'

I think about that often. It goes with the marathon and child you have comments for me - work with what I have, do what we can, but don't kill myself along the way.

I don't think it was me but it sounds like good advice! 

It's not something she wrote or said but something she did. MariannNOVA opened her home to my DD, DGD and me for a much needed vacation. Without her kindness, we never would have been able to afford a trip that summer. It was my first time to visit NOVA and DC and I will be forever grateful to her for her friendship and the memories we were able to make.

• Like 9

Well, well, well....I googled for some of the above referenced Nan in Mass threads I've never read and low and behold some other very interesting threads came up in the search. The stuff I missed around here......I thought things could get rowdy now. Apparently I missed out on the Wild West days. And this was only a few results! :)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/tags/forums/well-trained%2Bmind%2B101/

Holy heck, you turned up the genisis of TeA and also the carpeting post! I never get tired of them! Never!

ETA: AND a political thread from the pre-political-thread-ban in which the candidates and ire surrounding them sounds remarkably similar to 2016, even though we didn't know what a bad choice actually was back then....

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

Holy heck, you turned up the genisis of TeA and also the carpeting post! I never get tired of them! Never!

ETA: AND a political thread from the pre-political-thread-ban in which the candidates and ire surrounding them sounds remarkably similar to 2016, even though we didn't know what a bad choice actually was back then....

I sat in my car at dd's practice tonight and began wading through the original TeA thread. Oooooh my.......I couldn't stop laughing at points. I'm still not through the whole thing. Oh how I wish the hyper links still worked. I can't even imagine some of the gold on those. 

Wow. That's... awesome. This articulates my concerns exactly. Thank you!

Ditto! I get eye-rolls because in local groups, I'm the one beating my drum to this tune.

"Create a culture of diligence." That's brilliant. Thank you, hillfarm. I miss seeing you around the boards.

• Like 4

I've been really encouraged in my year-ish time here in my homeschooling mentality. I hope I can think of specific users to mention. 

But as I'm reading the past few posts about taking homeschooling more seriously, not excuse-making, striving for excellence etc. I want to say something and I'm not even sure I can articulate myself properly. 

I'm glad that people are encouraged by the words of the linked-to poster. But it discourages me if I take it personally. I can only speak from what I think is somewhat the other side of it. I came to this board last year with my oldest being 6. I am getting better now, thanks to a lot of you, but I was agonizing over the adequacy of my homeschooling endeavors. Still am sometimes but it's getting better. 

I am working with a set of serious limitations, probably the biggest of which is a household income closer to the poverty line than anyone I know trying to do something besides cruise-control survival mode. And we can philosophize about how money doesn't really matter, and it may not in theory, but it sure as heck affects every single thing in your life. 

Financial situation combined with weak, fractured, unsupportive extended families, messy, difficult personal histories, a cycle of poverty situation, living in ghetto area and bad school district in a tiny home, plus a "spirited" toddler (screaming, destruction)... not only leaves us with very limited choices in our life, but also puts us in a position where homeschooling looks like biting off more than we can chew to everyone. 

I am not flippant about educational neglect. I am not saying "We haven't done school in 6 months, but LOL whatever, they'll learn somehow." I don't even personally believe in the premise of unschool, that kids will naturally learn what they're supposed to. I believe some pressure needs to be applied. That said... we are not "rigorous" enough for some people, no doubt. We don't get much academics done sometimes and it worries me.

What has encouraged me the most is when people here have said that I really can homeschool.

• Like 3

I am not flippant about educational neglect. I am not saying "We haven't done school in 6 months, but LOL whatever, they'll learn somehow." I don't even personally believe in the premise of unschool, that kids will naturally learn what they're supposed to. I believe some pressure needs to be applied. That said... we are not "rigorous" enough for some people, no doubt. We don't get much academics done sometimes and it worries me.

:grouphug:

Your kids are still little and just doing what you can do is fine!  I don't even think you can or should be rigorous at that age. 

• Like 3

I think this is the point. You aren't flippant. You are intentional. That *is* creating a culture of diligence.

Good job.

I agree! You are still carving out a system for your own family.

I think the linked post may be directed in part at folks who still operate with a lower elementary instructional mindset when their children reach middle and high school age - the expectation of "learn through play" has to mature at some point if a student is going to be academically successful.

The first year is the hardest - hang in there! You will stretch and gain comfort with time. There's a world of difference between comfortable and complacent.

• Like 3

What has encouraged me the most is when people here have said that I really can homeschool.

pinkmint, I've been reading your posts here on the forum for a while now, and there is no doubt in my mind that you can homeschool.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 9

I've been really encouraged in my year-ish time here in my homeschooling mentality. I hope I can think of specific users to mention.

But as I'm reading the past few posts about taking homeschooling more seriously, not excuse-making, striving for excellence etc. I want to say something and I'm not even sure I can articulate myself properly.

I'm glad that people are encouraged by the words of the linked-to poster. But it discourages me if I take it personally. I can only speak from what I think is somewhat the other side of it. I came to this board last year with my oldest being 6. I am getting better now, thanks to a lot of you, but I was agonizing over the adequacy of my homeschooling endeavors. Still am sometimes but it's getting better.

I am working with a set of serious limitations, probably the biggest of which is a household income closer to the poverty line than anyone I know trying to do something besides cruise-control survival mode. And we can philosophize about how money doesn't really matter, and it may not in theory, but it sure as heck affects every single thing in your life.

Financial situation combined with weak, fractured, unsupportive extended families, messy, difficult personal histories, a cycle of poverty situation, living in ghetto area and bad school district in a tiny home, plus a "spirited" toddler (screaming, destruction)... not only leaves us with very limited choices in our life, but also puts us in a position where homeschooling looks like biting off more than we can chew to everyone.

I agree with what everyone above is saying Pinkmint. We've all been reading your posts. You aren't who that thread is intended to address. You have time. Lots of time. But there are some people like SeaSider and others pointed out who play lax through high school and then are surprised their kid is at a disadvantage. I don't think that's where you're headed judging from your posts.

I agree! You are still carving out a system for your own family.

I think the linked post may be directed in part at folks who still operate with a lower elementary instructional mindset when their children reach middle and high school age - the expectation of "learn through play" has to mature at some point if a student is going to be academically successful.

The first year is the hardest - hang in there! You will stretch and gain comfort with time. There's a world of difference between comfortable and complacent.

I agree too, Pinkmint. Also, the way you do what you do can "look" different. I was talking to one of my boys today about his workload as I explained my philosophy to him. Something along the lines of: One reason you can get done with your work fairly early every day is that nothing we do is busywork. Every single thing we do has a purpose. That purpose feeds into the goal that the things we do will either help prepare you for a job/life, further schooling/training, or enrich your life so that you understand things you need to understand (i.e., history, some science). We don't do activities or worksheets or studies just to fill up time or make it to a certain number of hours. That also means that in the early grades we concentrate on being very strong and solid in reading, writing (though adjusted for the child with dyslexia), and math. Science, history, social studies, art, etc., are done more informally through real life, lots of books, read-alouds, documentaries, lego, craft items kept on hand, and videos. So even now our school day is short, but in the early years it only took 1-2 hours to cover everything that was formal. The informal things could be covered by making sure toys and activities were utilizing imagination, creativity, and feeding interests. That didn't take a lot of time or effort on my part, because though I provided the materials, I didn't usually direct the activities.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

Sorry to back to back post, but I also wanted to say that this board was the place where I learned that it is not only acceptable to treat educating my children as a full-time job (with time set apart for it, the rest of life managed around it, professional development prioritized, ect), but necessary to look at it that way to be long-term successful. I have people in my life that look at my homeschooling as a hobby or a cute idea, but not as a serious, lifestyle changing endeavor. It's nice to have a place to go where people understand.

Hear hear!

• Like 1

Well, the second most important thing I've learned here is never, ever, under any circumstances take Ambien. (Every word of this thread, but especially posts 1, 12, 15, and, forgive me, but I :001_wub: post 44.)

The most important thing I've gotten from these boards was Kareni's help when my first born was a senior and applying to college. She kept me out of a mental institution, and that's no exaggeration. Lee Binz's materials helped too, but it was Kareni's personally writing me that made me able to breathe. I will forever be grateful to her.

Agreeing w/ the quotes on the best curriculum is the one that gets done and teach the child you have. Other great quotes posted or in signatures that I first read here include:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

"Our goal is to raise great adults, not hip teenagers."

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." 

"It's your funeral." (SWB wrt getting the TM for WWS. Never heard it before seeing that video and still love that phrase.)

Guest Hollow helped save science for one of mine for a season. Corraleno's creative ways to cover subjects helped me be brave enough to carve out a unique path for one of mine without being so paranoid about checking boxes. Still, some days I want to check boxes!

I'd never seen the RG "Hey, Girl" memes until this board. Still love them and miss being able to post them. 

Somewhere here I learned about DIY cleaning solutions, esp. Clean Showers and Clorox spray for toilets, but after reading this thread, I will search for Quill's post on how to clean a bathroom! (Can we demand links be included if at all possible?)

Because of you good folks I want a Speed Queen and an Instapot. I have a WTM wish list on Amazon and even have some lists named after some of my favorite posters here. I won't reveal who those posters are, lest they think I'm a stalker.  :auto:

*Reserving the right to add to this post/thread as I think of things.* 

• Like 4

Thanks to this board I've been using camelcamelcamel which has helped me place orders. I can be indecisive but when I see the trend with the prices I have a fairly good idea of what prices are normal for the item. I got ds a Christmas sweater for under $8 this week that sometimes costs as much as $30 according to the chart. Now I'm going to try to track the Christmas dress I want for dd that I can only find for $50 (even on ebay). I just won't get that dress if it doesn't go down lol. It has no tracking history so far.

ETA: Ok I can't find an email alert for when the price dropped but I noticed it drop in my "saved for later" part of my cart. I'm not sure if they actually alerted me but if nothing else I can track the trends. I still love this tool for that. Oh I see there were two listings for it and the one I bought was not the one I was tracking lol

Edited by heartlikealion

I have to vote for "the best curriculum is the one that gets done", also. It made me think of my family differently . The best vegetables are the ones that get eaten, the best housework...ect. Letting go of perfectionism and making progress instead of stressing about what isn't getting done. I am a much happier person now.

I owe so much to the boardies on the LC and high school/ college boards. Thanks Onestep, OhElizabeth,Creekland , and oh so many others. You are amazing people who take the time to share and it has made such a difference in my life!

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 4

Not exactly what you asked, but over the weekend someone posted on FB looking for zipper repair shop for her backpack.  I suggested she contact the manufacturer if it was a brand name as I had "heard" that LLBean and LandsEnd would repair or replace them.

She said it was a Nike, and yes, they were going to take care of it!  Thanks Hive, on her behalf.

• Like 2