Menu

s/o Christmas gift ideas

athomeontheprairie

The other thread has me thinking about Christmas and how none of my kids want anything. And consequently, how I have no idea what to purchase. We have no tv, and no real stores nearby to browse. My kids are dd11, dd9, ds5, ds3

Can we make a list of toys, items, your kids want or currently have and love?

I have a 6yo.  His current faves are:

Magnetic blocks

Anything space-related

Movement toys (we have a billibo, foot maze, hammock, swing, plasmacar)

Tools (real things he can use)

What he is getting for Christmas:

a Haba hammering shapes set

Star Wars action figure to go with his collection

new bike

kinetic sand

book set

room kit - waste basket, calendar, desk items, blanket

8 yr old ds:

Legos

Remote control car (maybe)

Anything football related

10yr old dd:

Legos

Football

Emoji stuff

12yr old dd:

Not sure? Have random/small stuff for her. Not sure what she wants?

2yr old ds:

Educational toys

Diecast cars

20 yr old dd:

Massage gift cards

Football shirt

Money

• Like 1

DS 14

More snap circuits (he just discovered them this summer)

David Ortiz poster

Red Sox jacket

Mork & Mindy Season 2 dvd

Baker Street Board Game

Mutes for his drum set (though, arguably, that's more for me)

I'm not sure what else...

His stocking stuffers so far include: a pen that smells like popcorn (though if he gets braces this fall, I'll have to re-think that), a small notebook, drum sticks, socks, and a Snoopy washcloth that I just finished knitting.

My 9yo dds' favorite Christmas present last year:  soft furry beanbag chairs that matched their bedrooms.

I'm not sure what to get this Christmas.  I would like at least one surprise, but honestly, these kids have basically seen it all.  :P  One of my kids likes books, so I will probably get her a new series or two.  She also likes MLP and still plays with popular dolls (everafter high or whatever is the thing these days).  The other is harder to please.  She basically wants to be a 17yo fashion model, but that's not happening, LOL.  Well, she might like a new computer game.  And money.  :P

I am thinking I might set them up with bank accounts as part of their financial education.  I think they would like that, and it would be meaningful.  Guess I should start looking into what the banks offer.

It's really expensive but dd15 has been using Lego robotics stuff at school and she thinks ds9 would love it. Not going to happen here, but if you have the budget and multiple kids that will get use out of it...

Ds9 wants a dart board. I think he would use it too, it's just that it seems like a disaster waiting to happen (property damage, sibling damage etc etc).

My boys really don't need toys and I'm not sure what to put on their lists. So far I have...

9yo: swim gear for swim team, Legos, lots of board games, books, something Harry Potter related, wood burning kit, swim poster

7yo: lots of board games, books, Legos, better keyboard for piano practice, something Harry Potter related, tree swing, beginning photography books

My plan this year is experiences vs the normal stuff. It will be loosely based off of the 12 days of Christmas.  I'm not sure if these will be given all at once or on 12 consecutive days.  The trick is coming up with the 12 days!

These are still ideas

Day 1 A partridge in a pear tree - Golden wrapped pears

Day 2 Two turtle doves - 2 Dove chocolates

Day 3 Three French Hens - Chick-fil-a trip or choosing own homemade truffle @ local French bakery

Day 4 Four Calling Birds - Personalized of some kind, possibly pre-paid phone cards for the teens, whistles or toys for the younger children

Day 5 Five Golden Rings - Visit to Krispy Kreme

Day 6 Six Geese a Laying - Plastic golden eggs filled with $ or tickets to something

Day 7 Seven Swans a Swimming - new towel sets for each child 

Day 8 Eight Maids a Milking - hot chocolate bar

Day 9 Nine Ladies Dancing - Dance Charades Game

Day 10 Ten Lords a Leaping - popcorn and rented movie night

Day 11 Eleven Pipers Piping - https://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/allsorts-and-comfits/liquorice-pipes-novelty-old-school.html

Day 12 Twelve Drummers Drumming - drum shaped gift box with family activities 

I hope to also include tickets to an event or vacation spot.

Eta: adding to the list. :D

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

My inclination for kids who don't want much would be - don't buy much!  Or go to an experience instead. 

This year my dd11 wants a chess board and a chess book.  My ds6 wants a working toy accordian. My dd8 wants a toy she say in a commercial - I may not get that, it looks to me like it would be a disappointment.

• Like 1

My dd always wants art supplies and is thrilled to get new Prismacolor pencils and sketch pads. She also likes Warrior Cats books, stuffed animals and fleece blankets. She seems to think she should get a new fleece blanket each year. The kind where you take two pieces of fabric and tie the fringes or sew the seams--we've done both. She likes to pile them on her bed to sleep on. I think we're growing a princess here. lol.

Kapla blocks, if you get a lot of them, are great for all ages.  My husband even likes them.  There are art book quality design books for things go build with them.  About 400-500 of them plus some books would make a great family gift.

REI has a lot of technical quality outdoor gadgets and clothes and equipment of very good quality.  Great for the non-electronic among us.  Who wouldn't want some very light weight backpacking stuff, for instance?

Family Pastimes has excellent cooperative games for all ages.

I'm hoping I can talk DD into new bedroom furniture (her changing table is holding toy snakes in her closet) once IKEA opens. Somehow, a room that worked for a kid moving out of a convertible crib/toddler bed is a little young for a middle schooler. So far, she hasn't bitten, though.

• Like 1

Well, she did get a bedroom set as an early Christmas present.

She wants a bike, she outgrew her old one.

She loves subscription boxes and my mom gets her Boodle and IbBeautiful.

She pays for her own subscription to Owl Crate.

I purchased a 3 month subscription for another tween box.

There are a TON of books she wants, but at about 7 dollars each we can handle that.

A couple of vet games for her DS.

A couple of board/card games.

Some arts and crafts.

socks from Sock It to Me

Some items from etsy shops

A couple of magazine subscriptions

Clothes..

My plan this year is experiences vs the normal stuff. It will be loosely based off of the 12 days of Christmas. I'm not sure if these will be given all at once or on 12 consecutive days. The trick is coming up with the 12 days!

These are still ideas

Day 1 A partridge in a pear tree - Golden wrapped pears

Day 2 Two turtle doves - 2 Dove chocolates

Day 3 Three French Hens - Chick-fil-a trip or choosing own homemade truffle @ local French bakery

Day 4 Four Calling Birds - Personalized of some kind, possibly pre-paid phone cards for the teens, whistles or toys for the younger children

Day 5 Five Golden Rings - Visit to Krispy Kreme

Day 6 Six Geese a Laying - Plastic golden eggs filled with $ or tickets to something

Day 7 Seven Swans a Swimming - new towel sets for each child

Day 8 Eight Maids a Milking - hot chocolate bar

Day 9 Nine Ladies Dancing - Dance Charades Game

Day 10 Ten Lords a Leaping - popcorn and rented movie night

Day 11 Eleven Pipers Piping - https://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/allsorts-and-comfits/liquorice-pipes-novelty-old-school.html

Day 12 Twelve Drummers Drumming - drum shaped gift box with family activities

I hope to also include tickets to an event or vacation spot.

Eta: adding to the list. :D

Just wanted to say that I love this idea and I'm stealing it.

As my other thread I need birthday ideas for Dd (11) because this is what I want to do for Christmas. A caboodle box with all girls stuff in it, manicure set, lighted magnifying mirror, good tweezer, nice hand lotion, and a few other things like that. Someone mentioned fugi instax mini camera so I've added this time Christmas list. She also showed me a couple of things at hobby lobby she liked.

Edited by lynn

In the past my 12yo wanted Bionicles and Legos regularly. This year he wants The Silmarilion and a calendar with the maps of middle earth. What happened here?

I only have older boys now. They are very difficult to buy for. Plus, they don't like getting clothes for Christmas. Specialty snacks from Trader Joe's are usually a hit. New headphones and books are regularly requested.