Menu

Glasses causing dents in head

klmama

I've worn the same glasses for 16 hours a day, every day, for over a year.  They have spring-loaded earpieces, and they never slide down.  Great, right?  However, last night when I was massaging my temples I discovered that the earpieces have given me deep indentations in the sides of my head from about an inch behind my eyes to the front of the ear.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  I don't get headaches any more than I used to, but it's weird to feel those deep grooves where it should be smooth. 

I've got dents there too! I thought they were just naturally occurring but I think they are from glasses. My glasses wearing dh has them too but my non-glasses wearing dd does not. Doesn't answer your question, but I'll be interested to hear what others say.

I wear glasses, and don't have dents.  But a few months ago, I adjusted my glasses - made them a bit tighter - and was horrified to realize I had dents, exactly like you've described!  I noticed them one night, and it was quite a shock.  I think it was because I had tightened them, and they were squeezing my head a bit.  I had also gained a bit of weight.  I have readjusted the way they sit, and lost some weight - no more dents.  :)

It's very common, especially if you have a head shape that requires tighter/more curved earpieces on your glasses to keep them from sliding down your nose (like me!). The dents aren't something anyone else notices, at least :)

I've worn glasses pretty much continuously since I was 15.  I have dents.  My current glasses aren't tight at all (annoyingly so, as they won't hold an adjustment).  I think it is just like my wedding ring "scar" as I like to call it.  After wearing the same ring for 24 years straight, I have a deep indentation where my ring sits, that doesn't go away.  (When dh and I were separated, I didn't wear it for months and the dent didn't go away)

• Like 1

I've worn glasses since I was in 2nd grade. No dents, here. 

ETA: 

Wait - I may have just found a dent. I've always thought of it as more a bump, but maybe it's just the raised part beside the dent. Hmm....

Edited by TechWife

I've worn glasses for thirty-plus years, and I have curved dents behind my ears (not in front). I just realized this recently, actually. It feels very bony back there, not fleshy, and it feels as if the grooves have actually been worn into my skull. It's not pleasant for me to think about that, but since they are in a place where no one will notice, I can pretend they aren't there.

If they were in front of my ears, along the side of my face, I might make some adjustments to my glasses. My glasses actually do not touch the side of my face or head at all until they get to my ears. The next time you choose frames, maybe you could find some that don't hug your face.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/22/2016 at 6:02 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

No I do not have dents, but the glasses do not touch the sides of my head until right at my ears

Same here. I have a bony nose though and have two dents where the nose pads have sat for forty years. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Oops. Zombie thread.

Yep.  As the OP, though, I'll update to say that I adjusted the earpieces to curve out a bit.  Now they make contact with my head starting just above my ears.  I don't have the deep side dents anymore; all of the denting is behind my ears now where it's covered by my hair.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...