Menu

Can we talk Sunday School curriculum?

sweetpea3829

Our church has asked me to evaluate and choose sunday school curriculum.  This is an area that is way out of my knowledge-base.  Can anybody offer some insight and suggestions on what we might want to consider?

The sunday school teachers have forwarded to me two different programs to consider.  One is from Orange, and the other is from Word of Life.  

I'm also open to other suggestions. 

• Like 1

If your denomination has a publisher, I'd start there.  As mentioned above, Augsburg Fortress is a Lutheran publisher, ELCA to be exact.  A Missouri-Synod congregation (also Lutheran) would probably be more comfortable with materials published by Concordia Press.   

Get several samples (at least one per age grouping) from the sources you are considering then compare and contrast them.  Consider which most closely reflects the overall feel of your church.  Does one or the other seem easier to teach? Which one appeals most to you and why?  

Our church has asked me to evaluate and choose sunday school curriculum.  This is an area that is way out of my knowledge-base.  Can anybody offer some insight and suggestions on what we might want to consider?

The sunday school teachers have forwarded to me two different programs to consider.  One is from Orange, and the other is from Word of Life.  

I'm not familiar with those programs. But since this is the internet forum for geeking out on the philosophy of education, here's a podcast on the subject of the purpose, and best methods of choosing, resources for Sunday School! ( :lol: )

But seriously, parts of the podcast are denominational-specific, but I like the two main overall points. Pick resources which respect the language and message of the Bible, and understand the goal to be providing children the content to make further connections for their later spiritual growth.

hth

I highly highly recommend The Gospel Project

OUr church back in FL had been using Children Desiring God but everyone was struggling with the nitty gritty of it.  We had stacks and stacks of papers, printouts, coloring pages, and informaiton but it was very difficult to pull it off and make it gel throughout the classes.  

Finally we switched to The Gospel Project and they are still using it 6 years later with great success.  The Gospel Project is not expensive and there are different seasons/editions to choose from so that children rarely need to repeat the same information.  If they do it would be several years apart.  There is a beautiful video that accompanies each lesson and the teachers manuals are easy to work with.  Children K-6 can be combined for the main lesson and then split up into Smaller Group times so that they can have something geared to their level which includes a lesson and hands on activitiy to reinforce the lesson.

There is also a Gospel Project curriculum for teens, and even adults! If you want the whole church can be focused on similar theme during Sunday School hour.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.  It was a joy to teach and the children were really learning their Bible, and The Gospel- not focused on Bible Heroes or How to Be Good, or Good Character, but on the person of God, the Word of God and the Salvation through Jesus Christ- The Gospel.

• Like 3

Does the Gospel Project have Sunday School and Kids Church materials? We have two services with two kids programs and we don't duplicate the activities because of overlap. We use Group publishing for complementary Sunday School and Kids Church materials, but we have to do SO much tweaking to make it work.

I am not familiar with these, and there doesn't appear to be samples on the web sites. :-(

I think Bible Study Guide for All Ages can easily be adapted to a classroom.

I highly highly recommend The Gospel Project

OUr church back in FL had been using Children Desiring God but everyone was struggling with the nitty gritty of it. We had stacks and stacks of papers, printouts, coloring pages, and informaiton but it was very difficult to pull it off and make it gel throughout the classes.

Finally we switched to The Gospel Project and they are still using it 6 years later with great success. The Gospel Project is not expensive and there are different seasons/editions to choose from so that children rarely need to repeat the same information. If they do it would be several years apart. There is a beautiful video that accompanies each lesson and the teachers manuals are easy to work with. Children K-6 can be combined for the main lesson and then split up into Smaller Group times so that they can have something geared to their level which includes a lesson and hands on activitiy to reinforce the lesson.

There is also a Gospel Project curriculum for teens, and even adults! If you want the whole church can be focused on similar theme during Sunday School hour.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was a joy to teach and the children were really learning their Bible, and The Gospel- not focused on Bible Heroes or How to Be Good, or Good Character, but on the person of God, the Word of God and the Salvation through Jesus Christ- The Gospel.

Thank you for sharing. I use Good News Club materials for our Sunday school for much of those same reasons. I'm going to look into TGP.

• Like 1

Depends on the age/grade.

I like Abeka's Joyful Life for prek.  https://www.joyfullifesundayschool.com/  

I like Standard Publishing's Heartshaper for Kinder and 1st.  http://heartshaper.com/

I like Abeka's Joyful Life again for 2nd and 3rd. Or Heartshaper again.

I like books by Stephen James for 4th and 5th (he does a lot of madlibs and reader's theater and stuff.)  https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Stories-Preteens-Storytelling-Library/dp/0784716315

I only know for Pre-K and K.  For the last few years we used Hands-On Bible. It is not very meaty. There is lots of hands-on (hence the name) but I just felt like overall it was not great. ETA: I found it highly moralistic (God wants you to be nice!!) which is one reason I disliked it. 

This year we are using something different.  I am hearing from the other teachers that this one involves A LOT of preparation.  Lots of supply gathering.  I have to teach this coming week so I can come back and post and let you know.  

Anyway, not much help, but prep and supplies is something I would look at. 

Edited by cintinative

Well, as a Sunday school teacher myself for youngsters (2 - 8 yo), I would consider the following:

1.  Does it have an activity book.

2.  Coloring pages would be nice (but I guess one can always get them free online).

3.  Perhaps a teacher's manual

4.  Perhaps songs for the little ones

5.  Perhaps a student workbook

6.  Accuracy in what your church believes in

7.  Memory verses

8.  I like programs that has visual aids.  I've bought stuff from BSGFAA to help aid in my teaching.  For example, the books of the bible summary cards.

9.  Timeline

10.  I like felt figures http://www.bettylukens.com/collections/bible-sets-1/products/basic-bible-set as a hands on learning thing.

I know a lot, but I don't think you can please everyone.  :) 

Does the Gospel Project have Sunday School and Kids Church materials? We have two services with two kids programs and we don't duplicate the activities because of overlap. We use Group publishing for complementary Sunday School and Kids Church materials, but we have to do SO much tweaking to make it work.

Gospel Project does not have both Kids Church and Sunday School.  You can use it for either one.  For Kids Church, you would include the Worship Songs Video.  For Sunday School we had less time and therefore didn't always include the worship songs.

I wish I could recommend another one, so you would have two that are awesome, but The Gospel Project is the only one I've ever used that was just plain awesome, easy to use, with projects and activities that actually work and really reinforce the lesson, etc.

We recently attended a church that used orange. I thought I would love it, but it left me wanting more too many times. My kids had lots of fun, but I didn't feel they were really engaging with the Bible or being drawn into the lesson. The other thing I don't like about Orange is that it is subscription based, so it is not a one time purchase. We actually didn't end up staying in that church. I am not familiar with the Gospel Project. Our current church uses something different, and I am not sure the name, but I will tell you my kids are growing more now, especially in worship.

However, I taught childrens church a few years ago in a different state, and we used the Hands On Bible curriculum. Some things I really like about it were:

They have an attention grabber that engages kids immediately. Then they break into smaller groups to dive into the word at age appropriate levels with only two grades together. Then we did some hands on activities and demonstrations that really helped both visual and kinesthetic learners. The other thing I really liked was that we read out of the Bible together and got into the Word. I taught third and fourth graders, and they were really able to engage with the Bible reading and apply it. There were some Socratic type teaching methods too. So, we had all the kids come together for singing and prayer at the beginning and then broke off into groups. The groups were also great to help us interact with the students on a smaller scale and get to know the kids more and do prayer requests, etc.

The downside is potentially requiring more volunteers, and that it did take a little reading and prep beforehand for the group leaders, but these leaders took ownership too instead of just being "helpers" to a burnt out children's pastor. Also, the material didn't get stale because they moved to new material in new classes every couple years, but it can be a one time purchase.

I know there are others I am not familiar with, but those are my experiences.

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling

We use Orange for our k-5 Sunday School and I love it.  The stories are very engaging and the kids really are getting it.  I am constantly going back and asking them about previous lessons and they remember.   We have it set up with a large group activity that ties into the theme of the month or the particular story.  We then do a music time and after that is our lesson.  I love using the props and the slides that they suggest. The kids really love when I have props.  After the lesson we practice our memory verse and then break into small groups.  During the small group times kids work on an age appropriate activity and they do some sharing and prayer time.

My parish publishes its own program after failing to find one that worked for what we needed.

But - I think before looking at programs, you have to be really clear about what your needs are.  And you might need different programs for different aspects of your Sunday School.

Obviously your group's theology is going to be important, whatever program you want will have to be compatible.

What age groups of kids, how many, will they be in a group together, separate classes, or what?

What are the main goals of your SS?

Who are the teachers, and what is their background?  What kind of help or resources will they need?

How much time will they have, will it be variable?  Will it be during Sunday service or at a separate time?

How much money do you have to spend, and what other kinds of resources does your group have - are there a lot of art supplies, room for dramatizations, do you need something that will be inexpensive to use?

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1