Menu

5 yr vs 4 yr high school, if returning to brick and mortar

Janeway

Oldest son was supposed to return to school, maybe. The decision had not been made. I wanted him to go in to 9th grade. I brought in the work he already did, including the books he read, and they visited with him and reviewed everything. They concluded he belongs in the 10th grade. 

I get it. He really already read their entire 9th grade reading list, from lit and history. He also has completed algebra 1 and geometry with mastery (he only missed 2 problems total in the end, on the finals from their classes). He has covered enough of the biology to not "need" that. I did not even mention that son has already been doing Latin, which most of their students will take in 9th, but can take later if need be. 

BUT, son is only 14, and turning 15 shortly after the cut off date. Fine. And son is definitely mature enough to handle the higher grade. But I guess my home school plan had involved the entire senior year doing DE classes. I cannot really see him going off to college at 17, almost 18 yrs old. But if he graduates at 17 yrs old, he cannot take community college classes that first year unless he wants to become ineligible for freshman scholarships. 

When son got to spend time with the various teachers today and in the classrooms (school has not started yet, he was there for entrance testing and placement and such) he ended up really liking the school and saying he wanted to go. BUT, if he goes, he will be placed in 10th grade. Which means, only 3 yrs left to graduation...AKA..only 3 years left to his childhood! 

I feel like if he were in the regular public school, he would have access to so many AP classes that he would easily be able to go through and not graduate until he is solidly an 18 yr old, and then start college when he is 18, almost 19 yrs old. 

They did say I could just not teach the 10th grade courses this year (just pick alternative courses, like astronomy for science instead of what they teach) and then the next year, he could go in to 10th. Son just likes the school and would like to attend. Fact is, my "high school plan" basically is quite similar to their curriculum (their program is pretty standard) but then an extra year for DE added on at the end. 

WWYD? 

What does he think about being a younger 10th grader?

I will have two that will turn 17 the week they graduate, and are going to college 3 months later.  While I cringe a little at the numerical age, their maturity level is just fine for that course.  (Dh and I both left home before 18, so it runs in the family..lol.)

Edited by The Girls' Mom

What does he think about being a younger 10th grader?

I will have two that will turn 17 the week they graduate, and are going to college 3 months later.  While I cringe a little at the numerical age, their maturity level is just fine for that course.  (Dh and I both left home before 18, so it runs in the family..lol.)

He says he is fine with it. But, while going in to 10th grade now might be fine, suddenly graduating at 17 yrs old and heading off to college would not be so fine and he has no idea what that will be like.

Is the school open at all to you saying that you would like him to be with his peers?  If he hasn't been in public school, there is something to letting him spend one year acclimating and just worrying about learning how to do that part.

I can imagine it would be difficult to start in 10th grade and be a year younger... OTOH I don't want him to be bored.

BUT

keeping him  home and 'not teaching him 10th grade' just doesn't make sense.  A year off of math? Are they nuts?  I get their point, but to me that seems like the least useful option. 

Is this a school without many resources?  My local high school has plenty of kids who are working a year or two ahead in math or science or whatever and they keep them as much as possible with their peers.  They allow them to race ahead where they need to, but try to keep them together socially when possible.  And they have a lot of AP classes so the kids who need it can do those at an early age. So your son would be ahead in math, but take gym with the other 9th grade boys, for example.  Especially in math the kids seem to be all over the place. My son is a year 'ahead' and he ain't no math wiz, I can tell you. About a quarter of his math class are kids who are 'young' for the class. In 11th grade, his current grade, is when they really start to split off for all the AP math classes.  DS1 will NOT be taking an AP math class...thank goodness.

Edited by redsquirrel

Is the school open at all to you saying that you would like him to be with his peers?  If he hasn't been in public school, there is something to letting him spend one year acclimating and just worrying about learning how to do that part.

I can imagine it would be difficult to start in 10th grade and be a year younger... OTOH I don't want him to be bored.

BUT

keeping him  home and 'not teaching him 10th grade' just doesn't make sense.  A year off of math? Are they nuts?  I get their point, but to me that seems like the least useful option. 

I did not mean not teach him. I meant just not teach him what they are doing in 10th grade. For example, they don't do astronomy or environmental science, so he could do that. And they would be doing world history (second half) and he could do world geography instead. That sort of thing. 

BUT

Is this a school without many resources?  My local high school has plenty of kids who are working a year or two ahead in math or science or whatever and they keep them as much as possible with their peers.  They allow them to race ahead where they need to, but try to keep them together socially when possible.  And they have a lot of AP classes so the kids who need it can do those at an early age. So your son would be ahead in math, but take gym with the other 9th grade boys, for example.  Especially in math the kids seem to be all over the place. My son is a year 'ahead' and he ain't no math wiz, I can tell you. About a quarter of his math class are kids who are 'young' for the class. In 11th grade, his current grade, is when they really start to split off for all the AP math classes.  DS1 will NOT be taking an AP math class...thank goodness.

Yes, it is a very small school. So everyone takes the same classes each year with the other students in the grade. 

Is the public school an option? My friends 14 year old is starting in a new school and is doing AP stuff as well as taking Spanish at a local college as he is ready for that level. He will still be a freshman though. Academically he could likely start college all around, maturity wise, freshman is a good place for him.

Oldest son was supposed to return to school, maybe. The decision had not been made. I wanted him to go in to 9th grade. I brought in the work he already did, including the books he read, and they visited with him and reviewed everything. They concluded he belongs in the 10th grade. 

I get it. He really already read their entire 9th grade reading list, from lit and history. He also has completed algebra 1 and geometry with mastery (he only missed 2 problems total in the end, on the finals from their classes). He has covered enough of the biology to not "need" that. I did not even mention that son has already been doing Latin, which most of their students will take in 9th, but can take later if need be. 

BUT, son is only 14, and turning 15 shortly after the cut off date. Fine. And son is definitely mature enough to handle the higher grade. But I guess my home school plan had involved the entire senior year doing DE classes. I cannot really see him going off to college at 17, almost 18 yrs old. But if he graduates at 17 yrs old, he cannot take community college classes that first year unless he wants to become ineligible for freshman scholarships. 

When son got to spend time with the various teachers today and in the classrooms (school has not started yet, he was there for entrance testing and placement and such) he ended up really liking the school and saying he wanted to go. BUT, if he goes, he will be placed in 10th grade. Which means, only 3 yrs left to graduation...AKA..only 3 years left to his childhood! 

I feel like if he were in the regular public school, he would have access to so many AP classes that he would easily be able to go through and not graduate until he is solidly an 18 yr old, and then start college when he is 18, almost 19 yrs old. 

They did say I could just not teach the 10th grade courses this year (just pick alternative courses, like astronomy for science instead of what they teach) and then the next year, he could go in to 10th. Son just likes the school and would like to attend. Fact is, my "high school plan" basically is quite similar to their curriculum (their program is pretty standard) but then an extra year for DE added on at the end. 

WWYD? 

I don't see any problems with it. He's mature enough, the school says he can enter as a sophomore, he's good with it...I just don't see the problem.

There is nothing magic about being 18 years old. To make him wait, IMHO, is to punish him for being mature and academically strong (which is partly your success, as well).

Surely your son could take just a couple of classes without becoming ineligible for freshman classes.

• Like 3

I did not mean not teach him. I meant just not teach him what they are doing in 10th grade. For example, they don't do astronomy or environmental science, so he could do that. And they would be doing world history (second half) and he could do world geography instead. That sort of thing. 

You could do discrete math (number theory, probability, all the not-in-the-calculus-sequence stuff) with some algebra/geometry review thrown in if you go that route. 

Edited by katilac

If he is graduating high school at "almost 18", he is really not that much younger than many regular students. the cutoff date is arbitrary.

you can always decide on a gap year if it turns out he is not mature enough/does not want to go to college right away.

I do not understand the "only 3 years left to his childhood!" remark. Childhood ends  gradually and transitions into an exciting life of greater freedom and experiences. And certainly a high school junior is no "child" anymore either. 

What does HE want?

• Like 4

Here are some things I'd consider when evaluating the options. What does the high school gave in terms of honors or advanced classes.

My dd took algebra and geometry in middle school and still took 4 years of math in high school. Likewise, she already had foreign language credits in middle school and took 3 more years--she could have taken a fourth year, but had some conflicts.

Is the high school saying your ds would actually run out of classes to take and that's why he should go with the 10th grade placement.

Does your ds have an idea about his post high school goals. If the plan is to start at cc and transfer I don't think it matters if he graduates in three or four years. However, if he plans to start at a four year school, it depends on what he's interested in studying and where.

What is your dd's maturity level. I know some families like holding off graduation due to maturity issues. However you can also deal with this issue using a gap year.

Based on some of your other posts, if this school is a fit, I'd enroll him.  He's not that young for grade (Disclaimer:  I have an October birthday and graduated at 17, so I find it difficult to see a problem with it).

If at the end you think that he could use a bit more incubation before going off to college, you could have him do a gap year.

• Like 2

Here are some things I'd consider when evaluating the options. What does the high school gave in terms of honors or advanced classes.

My dd took algebra and geometry in middle school and still took 4 years of math in high school. Likewise, she already had foreign language credits in middle school and took 3 more years--she could have taken a fourth year, but had some conflicts.

Is the high school saying your ds would actually run out of classes to take and that's why he should go with the 10th grade placement.

Does your ds have an idea about his post high school goals. If the plan is to start at cc and transfer I don't think it matters if he graduates in three or four years. However, if he plans to start at a four year school, it depends on what he's interested in studying and where.

What is your dd's maturity level. I know some families like holding off graduation due to maturity issues. However you can also deal with this issue using a gap year.

exactly the issue. They say he cannot take 10th grade level courses unless he is in tenth. And they are a small school so there would be nothing left to take in 12th unless he went up a grade level. They only offer 4 years of a language. They have a total of 4 or 5 year long courses they offer for science. There are only the four courses (year long) for social studies, so no alternative courses to take. So, the regular public school has world history, preAP world geography, regular world geography, and AP human geography as options for ninth grade. This small school only has World History 1 for ninth grade. It sounds like their English is integrated with the world history so their literature selections are ones that my son already did last year. So freshman English is not even an option. If he were to go to the regular public school, world history could still be an option because it would be all of world history in one year instead of just the first half. Freshman English would still be an option as it would not be mixed with the world history. And, World Geography would be a great option. And he would still have AP world history he could take the second year. So a lot of options. In math, at the regular public school, he could take AP statistics and AP Calculus BC before he graduates. In science there are tons and tons of options.

Yes, she said it's a small school and the kids take pretty much all the same classes in 9th, 10th, and so on. 

I don't necessarily think it's too young. My oldest graduated at 17 and went off to college a month after turning 18. My youngest will graduate at 17 and go off to college two weeks before turning 18. 

iirc from other posts, I think there are some maturity concerns with this student, but I myself would prefer to deal with them as needed when he graduates with a gap year or whatever.  dd was itching to go her senior year, we would have all lost all minds if there would have been another year to deal with. 

And, as far as post high school goals, he has no idea as to what he wants to do. He will go to college, and we already know where as he will be at a state university that is not too far away and has support services specific to the autism.

Yes, she said it's a small school and the kids take pretty much all the same classes in 9th, 10th, and so on.

I don't necessarily think it's too young. My oldest graduated at 17 and went off to college a month after turning 18. My youngest will graduate at 17 and go off to college two weeks before turning 18.

iirc from other posts, I think there are some maturity concerns with this student, but I myself would prefer to deal with them as needed when he graduates with a gap year or whatever. dd was itching to go her senior year, we would have all lost all minds if there would have been another year to deal with.

He is actually very mature in his behavior. But I worry about his coping skills and social skills and how stressful it will be to head to college too early.

• Like 2

I graduated at 17 and was offered an early graduate grant. I don't know if something like that would be available in your state, but it might be worth looking into. If he wants to go and is mature enough to handle 10th, I wouldn't hold him back.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

DS already  had 2  years of college (dual enrolled) and was starting his Junior year in college the week he turned 18. At 21 he is half way through his MA. 

I graduated high school and had 12 credits of college at 17 (before dual enrollment was allowed). 

He is on the younger side, but still quite firmly in the normal range for 10th grade. 

There are some great advantages to being where you are academically, but there are some things you miss out on as well.  Dual enrollment is very, very common in our area, so starting community college at 16yo is so common that it isn't even seen as an accelerated student any more.  That means these kids are going to university at 17/18 as a Sophomore or Junior and taking 300 level classes.  

Do not let the freshman scholarships keep him down. And don't worry about being 17 at university. It is quite common.  If he seems especially immature, have him take a gap year if needed. 

I wouldn't hesitate to put him in school, but I would also encourage him to play a 5 year bachelors degree if you really want him to stall out a bit.  Maybe have him do a full double major or even just following some passion classes vs only for the major so he has an extra year.

I'm also trying to understand the whole 'he doesn't know what he wants to do' thing. Don't colleges accept undecided majors anymore? And anyway I once read that like 70% of college students change their major at least once. So he could go in as one thing and change it within his first year of regular core classes. Those classes everyone takes like English 1101/1102 and Biology 1101/1102. Why would that not work?

I wouldn't worry about his age. I'm not shocked by the idea someone could graduate at 17. We have a family friend who is starting at Auburn University this year. She just joined a sorority. She won't be 18 until October.

I'm also trying to understand the whole 'he doesn't know what he wants to do' thing. Don't colleges accept undecided majors anymore? And anyway I once read that like 70% of college students change their major at least once. So he could go in as one thing and change it within his first year of regular core classes. Those classes everyone takes like English 1101/1102 and Biology 1101/1102. Why would that not work?

I wouldn't worry about his age. I'm not shocked by the idea someone could graduate at 17. We have a family friend who is starting at Auburn University this year. She just joined a sorority. She won't be 18 until October.

It's not that he needs to know now or even when he applies to college. However, if he does know, that might make assessing various paths through high school easier. If a student thinks they want to attend engineering school and they don't take certain math and science in high school to at least get a strong introduction, they may not have the transcript to apply or the academic foundation for success once they get there. So, if at 14 a student thinks she may want to study computer science or Japanese or writing, it might be good to plan some of her high school academics to lead that direction.

• Like 1

It's not that he needs to know now or even when he applies to college. However, if he does know, that might make assessing various paths through high school easier. If a student thinks they want to attend engineering school and they don't take certain math and science in high school to at least get a strong introduction, they may not have the transcript to apply or the academic foundation for success once they get there. So, if at 14 a student thinks she may want to study computer science or Japanese or writing, it might be good to plan some of her high school academics to lead that direction.

Oh! That makes sense. My kids are in plain state schools so we didn't need to college search for specialized fits. All they needed was good grades and testing scores.

• Like 1

I feel the same as the OP. But we can do 2 years of DE here free and retain freshman scholarship status for applying to colleges. I personally would not mind if my kid is a little more mature when I send him to a dorm living situation.

Eta b and m high schools here are much more flexible and I think can well serve a very wide range of students. From ivy bound on down.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I went to a brick & mortar school my whole life. Why would being 17 make him ineligible? Is that a thing? I was 17 when I graduated high school. I was younger than most and had skipped K due to a weird cut off date thing. But I know sometimes it happens where a graduate is 17. I liked being younger, it made me feel less stressed about taking longer than 4 years to finish college. I think I did it in 4.5? I stuck around at my community college an extra sem. to get my AA before I transferred. I didn't know my major immediately.

I skipped pre Alg. so I was always a grade behind the majority in my math classes in high school. A couple others were in my grade in the room, but not many. I liked it. I wouldn't worry so much :)

If this were MY son (whom I know better than I know YOUR son), I would go for the 9th grade.  

• My son needed more time to mature, physically.  Smart as a whip, but physical development came later for him.  That's the genetic pool he was given.
  • Turns out that with one exception, all the other boys his age had been red-shirted, so he was the youngest in his class by 6 months.  That is a big difference.  
  • It was a harsh entry going into school from homeschool; tons of paperwork, rules, plans, etc.  An earlier entry would have given him time to master the mechanics before the heavy classload started (10th/11th).  It also would have given time to do all the things we needed to do rather than cramming them into a 7-month very stressful period (PSAT, ACT, SAT, drivers ed.)
  • He was young for his grade, and would have gone to college at barely 18.  HE needed more time to mature.  
  • He drove later than the rest of his class, which limited his social interaction which was the point to BEGIN with. 
  • ANNNND, when he graduated college, he would have been 21, which is not a baby, but it doesn't make any difference whether 21 or 22, in the scheme of a career, but he would have another year of maturity under his belt.  

As with everything, YMMV.  

What about just having him attend for three years (through what they would consider his graduation) and then having him do a homeschool senior year with you and making his homeschool graduation his official graduation.  

Another option would be to have him graduate in three years then do a gap year where he interns or volunteers, works some and takes one or two DE classes if you want to keep him in "school mode."

Edited by cera2
  • Like 1

What about just having him attend for three years (through what they would consider his graduation) and then having him do a homeschool senior year with you and making his homeschool graduation his official graduation.  

Another option would be to have him graduate in three years then do a gap year where he interns or volunteers, works some and takes one or two DE classes if you want to keep him in "school mode."

You can't choose your official graduation to be at a later time if a school graduates you. 

If this were MY son (whom I know better than I know YOUR son), I would go for the 9th grade.  

• My son needed more time to mature, physically.  Smart as a whip, but physical development came later for him.  That's the genetic pool he was given.
  • Turns out that with one exception, all the other boys his age had been red-shirted, so he was the youngest in his class by 6 months.  That is a big difference.  
  • It was a harsh entry going into school from homeschool; tons of paperwork, rules, plans, etc.  An earlier entry would have given him time to master the mechanics before the heavy classload started (10th/11th).  It also would have given time to do all the things we needed to do rather than cramming them into a 7-month very stressful period (PSAT, ACT, SAT, drivers ed.)
  • He was young for his grade, and would have gone to college at barely 18.  HE needed more time to mature.  
  • He drove later than the rest of his class, which limited his social interaction which was the point to BEGIN with. 
  • ANNNND, when he graduated college, he would have been 21, which is not a baby, but it doesn't make any difference whether 21 or 22, in the scheme of a career, but he would have another year of maturity under his belt.  

As with everything, YMMV.  

:confused1:

What difference does it make if he starts high school in 9th or 10th in regards to tests like this? I took an ACT but that was like, senior year? I took driver's ed my senior year as well, though you can take it sooner. I didn't have a car in high school and wasn't in a big rush. Even if you took the tests earlier than senior year, I don't think they'd need to be taken in 9th or 10th.

• Like 1

You can't choose your official graduation to be at a later time if a school graduates you. 

No, but he could attend school for 2 3/4 years, then pull him out before graduation.  At the beginning of his senior, they'll have a lot better idea of whether he'll be ready for college the next year.  If he has matured and wants to go, then apply to colleges and let him graduate.  If they decide he needs another year, pull him from school before his senior year ends, and finish those courses at home, and give him homeschool credit for them. Then do another year of homeschool enrichment courses, and dual credit at the community college, if it's available, and have him apply to colleges for the following year.

I have no idea how this would work.  I'm just trying to think outside the box.

:confused1:

What difference does it make if he starts high school in 9th or 10th in regards to tests like this? I took an ACT but that was like, senior year? I took driver's ed my senior year as well, though you can take it sooner. I didn't have a car in high school and wasn't in a big rush. Even if you took the tests earlier than senior year, I don't think they'd need to be taken in 9th or 10th.

It was just the way it worked out for us.  YMMV.