Menu

would you complain about a barely full CSA box?

blackjackoaktree

The whole point of a CSA is that you share in the farm's ups and downs. I've been a member of various shares over the years and understand that. I just recently tried a new one that is very local. Prices ran about $800 for a 1/2 bushel organic share for 18 weeks + weekly eggs.

We are near 10 weeks now and have yet to receive a share that covers the bottom of the box. It was a bundle of sad, shriveled kale the size of my fist, two green tomatoes, a few zucchini, some green onions with little bulbs, a few potatoes- and a lot of empty box.

Now, I'd understand if the farm was having trouble. However, They frequently post pictures of their produce. I see what they offer at the farmer's market where the box is picked up. I see photos of their other farmer market locations featuring produce I never see in the box. I see them sell large kale and chard leaves, but only small, wilted leaves are in the box

What would you do? I am non-confrontational, but I feel like the CSA has taken the members' money to improve their farm, they are putting the choice produce for sale, and only including what's left in the share.

Is this common? I can also understand that if you have 100 shares, but only a few bushels of herbs or green beans or tomatoes, you can't put that in your crop share. It's just that in four different parts of the state in four different CSAS prior, I have never had this issue. I've had a CSA go out and harvest wild purslane from their yards to fill boxes if they didn't have enough produce.

I know I will not reorder this next year and will not reccomend them. However, I am unsure if I should complain to them or even complain on localharvest.

• Like 1

Wow - that's nuts.  Yes - you would expect up and down over time.   That is an extremely expensive CSA for so little.  I think we pay closer to $600 for ours.  Yesterday for example we got a dozen ears of corn, 4-5 lbs tomatoes, 4 onions, 3 peppers, some herbs, kale, 2 cukes, 1 zucchini, 1 eggplant, a melon, a bag of beans, broccoli.  6 eggs.  Mushrooms every other week.  We do pay extra for egg and mushroom share.  Our boxes are absolutely gorgeous.

Here's a pic of a box a few weeks ago ....

https://www.facebook.com/blackbrookfarmstead/photos/pb.397942217006218.-2207520000.1471017251./832669103533525/?type=3&theater

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

For what you describe? Yes, I'd complain. We belonged to a CSA for a few years and they made sure to put enough items in the box to make it worth the $$. So in the winter, they'd add in produce they had frozen (like tomatoes or applesauce or something like that). Here's their website so you can get an idea of what they put in the CSA boxes. The veggie share is $500 for a full share (huge) for 17 weeks.

http://www.petesgreens.com/good-eats-other/good-eats-csa

• Like 2

Maybe you could start by asking them to verify what should have been in the last box or two. Also check that they are using boxes that have approximately a bushel sized volume. If they have produce at the farmers market to sell them they surely aren't "short" of produce (you could even say something like that in a friendly tone). Then state that you don't feel you are getting your money's worth, not is this an isolated incidence. Then sees what they say in return.

Before you call, decide what might satisfy you. Money back, full refund, $800 worth of kale, whatever. Because regardless of how they reply, you want to be ready with what their solution should be.

I stink at this process in person, but thinking it out as an uninvolved person on the anonymous internet always seems easy.

• Like 7

I know I will not reorder this next year and will not reccomend them. However, I am unsure if I should complain to them or even complain on localharvest.

This is why you should tell them. You don't have to call it complaining—it's just alerting them to why you won't be continuing with them, so that they know their product is causing them to lose business and possibly other business by losing your recommendation. Then they know that there's something their customers want them to improve.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

Yes, I think what you are describing is really clearly unethical - they are cheating you.  I've had CSA shares where there was a hard year and that affected the box, but not like you are describing.

I did have a friend who had a share with a really big CSA.  They diversified into two types of boxes, the regular one, and one just for staples.  My friend had the regular box but she stopped getting enough staples in it - clearly they were diverting that stuff into the staples only boxes.

She didn't renew with them.

In your case, I would actually ask for your money back, and show them just why, including the pictures.

my first inclination was 'you pays your money and you takes your chances".  But then I see that they are offering different product at the farmers market than what you are getting delivered. That's not acceptable.

Is there any way you can go to the market to get your share?  Our CSA had you come to the market and you just picked out your own stuff from what they were selling. They had a bit list of what you took and you just gave your name and picked out your produce.

And I would make a case first.  I would take a picture of what was in my box and get a shot of what they are posting on their website. Compare the two and ask for an explanation. And yes, to having a solution in mind.

Now, it is entirely possible that what they are posting on their site are old pictures and it's just advertizing.  I would also want to hear from other people in different CSAs locally to see if the reality is that this year sucks.  I know here we are having a terrible drought and I am sure that the CSAs are are struggling to provide much of anything at all.

I am sorry. I don't do a CSA these days, but we have always been very, very happy with what we got. Things were certainly never wilted..always extremely fresh and healthy. I can't imagine spending that much money and feeling ripped off.

Some weeks we get a list and some do not, but what is on the list does match. Last week we got three small patty pan squash, three golf ball or less sized  beets with green tops, three green onions with little bulbs at the end, and and a ziplock sandwich bag of green beans. We do pick up at the market but the boxes are prepacked.

I would speak with them, and depending on their response, post on local harvest.  Are you taking pictures of your weekly box? I would be posting those on local harvest of what you are actually getting.

Our previous CSA used photos of their boxes as advertising on their Facebook site.  It was obvious what should be in the weekly boxes, and it was a form of accountability for them.  

Shortages in boxes should happen because of things like unseasonal weather or an odd infestation that happened quickly and did a lot of damage before things came under control.  It should be explained, weekly, as part of the accountability for what is or isn't in the boxes.

Yikes! :(

Yes, I would voice my displeasure, but like a pp mentioned, it's easier making suggestions here than actually doing it in person. I'm very uncomfortable with confrontation and would be a nervous, shaking mess, but what you are receiving is totally unacceptable. It's like $3.00 worth of produce, maybe.

I agree, take your photos and lists of what you've received so far. I think they need to be called on it (nicely--but firmly--of course).

• Like 1

I don't do CSAs anymore, I liked the idea back when they first started. Kind of like a herd share, where a farmer divides up the milk from the cow between the owners, the farmer divides up the veggies between the subscribers. Back then, it was a way for farmers to manage their risk, knowing that they already have buyers for what they grow. They have a good year, you get lots. They have a bad year, it would be a little less and everything they had. 

But then I started seeing the farmers giving only the bare minimum of what was promised and selling heaps of produce on the side at the market. That didn't sit well with me (if it was a herd share we would call that fraud). So I did the math. I always ended up with almost exactly what I could have bought at the farmers market for the same amount of money. So, for example, if it worked out to $30 a week for my share, my box never had more than $30 worth of produce based on the farmer's market prices. No savings for me and I don't get to pick. The risk was all mine, the benefit theirs. 

• Like 4

I don't do CSAs anymore, I liked the idea back when they first started. Kind of like a herd share, where a farmer divides up the milk from the cow between the owners, the farmer divides up the veggies between the subscribers. Back then, it was a way for farmers to manage their risk, knowing that they already have buyers for what they grow. They have a good year, you get lots. They have a bad year, it would be a little less and everything they had.

But then I started seeing the farmers giving only the bare minimum of what was promised and selling heaps of produce on the side at the market. That didn't sit well with me (if it was a herd share we would call that fraud). So I did the math. I always ended up with almost exactly what I could have bought at the farmers market for the same amount of money. So, for example, if it worked out to $30 a week for my share, my box never had more than $30 worth of produce based on the farmer's market prices. No savings for me and I don't get to pick. The risk was all mine, the benefit theirs.

This is why I don't do a csa either. I can just go to the farmer's market each week and buy just what we want and will eat that week.

• Like 1

$800 = $44+/week. What you list would be $15-20 organic at my grocery store....and almost all of my veggies would be from local farms. I'm not sure about the eggs---the eggs might be from a bit further out. Even premium farmer's market prices would only drive that up to $25. I really do urge you not to just let this go.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The whole point of a CSA is that you share in the farm's ups and downs. I've been a member of various shares over the years and understand that. I just recently tried a new one that is very local. Prices ran about $800 for a 1/2 bushel organic share for 18 weeks + weekly eggs.

We are near 10 weeks now and have yet to receive a share that covers the bottom of the box. It was a bundle of sad, shriveled kale the size of my fist, two green tomatoes, a few zucchini, some green onions with little bulbs, a few potatoes- and a lot of empty box.

Now, I'd understand if the farm was having trouble. However, They frequently post pictures of their produce. I see what they offer at the farmer's market where the box is picked up. I see photos of their other farmer market locations featuring produce I never see in the box. I see them sell large kale and chard leaves, but only small, wilted leaves are in the box

What would you do? I am non-confrontational, but I feel like the CSA has taken the members' money to improve their farm, they are putting the choice produce for sale, and only including what's left in the share.

Is this common? I can also understand that if you have 100 shares, but only a few bushels of herbs or green beans or tomatoes, you can't put that in your crop share. It's just that in four different parts of the state in four different CSAS prior, I have never had this issue. I've had a CSA go out and harvest wild purslane from their yards to fill boxes if they didn't have enough produce.

That is not acceptable.  Personally, I would complain to the CSA owners directly and I would post a negative review, as well.  At the very least, I think you should tell them honestly why you will not be renewing with them or recommending them to others.   It may be that they do not understand that they owe their CSA members first picks, or that they are unaware of what an acceptable share should look like, or it could be they meant to rip off members all along.  Either way, they should be told that what they are doing is unacceptable.

Thanks, everyone. I am going to start taking pictures of the rest of the boxes. I did take a shoddy one on my phone of the last one to post to family and ask their opinion, but I mostly got a lot of, "Well it's your fault for trusting someone!" Which is ridiculous, since I've participated for a long time now!

Thanks, everyone. I am going to start taking pictures of the rest of the boxes. I did take a shoddy one on my phone of the last one to post to family and ask their opinion, but I mostly got a lot of, "Well it's your fault for trusting someone!" Which is ridiculous, since I've participated for a long time now!

It's not your fault for making a business transaction in good faith and having the other party not fulfill their part of transaction satisfactorily. 

• Like 4

Some weeks we get a list and some do not, but what is on the list does match. Last week we got three small patty pan squash, three golf ball or less sized beets with green tops, three green onions with little bulbs at the end, and and a ziplock sandwich bag of green beans. We do pick up at the market but the boxes are prepacked.

Oh, wow. I'd definitely tell them that you are not satisfied with the amount and variety you are receiving and you'd like a refund. Edited by momto10blessings

Are you going to continue accepting the boxes with a small amount in the them and just take pictures? Please speak up before you get your next box so the rest aren't small.

Wow, that's crazy!  The farm I frequent packs up the CSA boxes first and then sells what remains at farmers markets and at their farmstand.  When they have an over-abundance of something they often give extra to CSA members as well.   Two years ago they had an excess of winter squash, so CSA members were encouraged to add a half-bushel box of squash of their choice for a few weeks.

It's definitely not the norm.  You should say something.   I personally would have a hard time saying something in person, but I wouldn't have any trouble sending an e-mail.  Maybe that will be easier for you to do. 

ETA:  Is there any chance that they offer lesser shares?  Perhaps they have you confused with someone who only paid for a half share or  single person share?  That would at least give you something to ask about in person.  

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 5

As others have said that does not sound right.  We are in a drought here but our CSA boxes have been full.  We get a full share and split it with our neighbor but I still get at least a crate full of product.  Our CSA does not sell their produce it all goes to the CSA which is nice.  They also have a bunch of u pick which is great too.

I would bring the matter up with the CSA and ask what is going on.  You can do better at a local farm market. I would not wait long to talk to them either.  When you get this week's share if it is still light you should talk to them at that point.