Menu

Crafting with kids for Christmas gifts-What would you like?

Ms Brooks

DD has been making soap. I put her soaps up on Etsy, but no one is interested.  :huh: Everyone we've given the soap and body butter to love what she has made, but no one is buying online. I even tried eBay for her. No luck. 

She still likes making soap. Now she wants to make Christmas gift baskets for her friends, grandparents, etc. I want her to make stuff people will use. A lot of spa gift baskets include candles, I'd never use a candle so I don't suggest it. I don't want to limit her, so I am asking what you like and don't like in a spa gift basket. So far she is going to include soap and body butter.

Thanks for your ideas.

If I was absolutely going to receive soap, I would prefer it to be some type of decorative soap for the sink. I am very selective about bath products because I have sensitive skin. So like, you could put the soap out in a dish by the sink for anyone to use (guests, other family members). One shaped like holly and berries or a snowman or a flower or whatever might be cute.

That's not really answering the question but I think spa gifts could be hit or miss so I guess she needs to know if people will use the stuff. I read "grandparents" and I'm thinking "does this mean grandma or grandpa? Will they both use it?"

• Like 1

Peppermint oil sachets in the bathroom can be used to dissolve odors. Homemade hand scrub with aloe gel, coarse salt, and unscented baby oil is nice.

Do you want non spa ideas that are useful as well? If so, read on. Lavender or cedar wood sachets are good for closets or drawers. One year I made wool yarn balls for clothes dryer use. I gave everyone 3 each in a basket with other practical things. Everyone raved about them, even a year or two after I gifted them. I am thinking about making more for those same people this year. The static clean benefit lasted only a few months for the ones I kept, but 3 years later I still use the same ones in the dryer. They still help with wrinkles and drying time.

• Like 1

Here's a pattern for a crocheted soap coat http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2011/12/little-gifties.html#links

Thanks!

I have a wax cube warmer that I love, so I'd love some yummy smelling wax cubes.  Can she make those?  But you'd have to make sure the recipient was into that.

Wax cube warmer? Will have her look this up. Thanks.

Peppermint oil sachets in the bathroom can be used to dissolve odors. Homemade hand scrub with aloe gel, coarse salt, and unscented baby oil is nice.

Do you want non spa ideas that are useful as well? If so, read on. Lavender or cedar wood sachets are good for closets or drawers. One year I made wool yarn balls for clothes dryer use. I gave everyone 3 each in a basket with other practical things. Everyone raved about them, even a year or two after I gifted them. I am thinking about making more for those same people this year. The static clean benefit lasted only a few months for the ones I kept, but 3 years later I still use the same ones in the dryer. They still help with wrinkles and drying time.

I make the dryer balls. Neighbor has sheep. It takes some time to make good, felted dryer balls. Useful and not just spa is a good idea. Thanks.

I would use gifts of spice mixes (for adding to hot drinks like coffee hot choc or apple cider) or dry rubs for meats in a heartbeat.

Wow. A useful gift basket for the right older friends--neighbors-- might be the way to go. Thanks.

A teenager once made me one of those bags with stuff inside that you warm up in the microwave and put on aching spots. That got a LOT of use before we lost it in a move. Probably the best homemade gift I ever received (save some various blankets I've gotten over hte years)

Yes, these are nice. Mine has rice in it and they are very easy to make. Washcloth sized and 1/2 washcloth size (rectangle) are good for crampy areas. 

Can she make some chocolate candies to go in the spa basket and maybe an inexpensive cup with tea bags? 

• Like 1

I love sugar scrubs, and use them.

What about felted soap? We used Martha Stewarts's instructions one year, and they were gorgeous.

We like making bath fizzies, or bath bombs, too. Put them in large silicone molds. Martha Stewart's recipe worked for us.

Lotion bars are nice as well.

• Like 1

If I was absolutely going to receive soap, I would prefer it to be some type of decorative soap for the sink. I am very selective about bath products because I have sensitive skin. So like, you could put the soap out in a dish by the sink for anyone to use (guests, other family members). One shaped like holly and berries or a snowman or a flower or whatever might be cute.

That's not really answering the question but I think spa gifts could be hit or miss so I guess she needs to know if people will use the stuff. I read "grandparents" and I'm thinking "does this mean grandma or grandpa? Will they both use it?"

I agree.  I have family members who react to certain scents, and I have sensitive/dry skin myself.  Small decorative soap would be more useful in our house.  A washcloth is really useful, too!

Since we don't use specialty spa/bath products much here, I have some non-spa, but still "pampery" ideas to round out your baskets...

One year my kids made a fresh stove-top potpourri mix for all our neighbors at Christmas.  Something like this, in a decorative cellophane bag with instructions.  It really does make the whole house smell heavenly.  http://lizoncall.com/2014/11/06/stove-top-potpourri-recipe/

How about including a pretty little sampler of homemade candies?  Rock candy is fun to make.  Or homemade biscotti, or dipped pretzels, or a "gourmet" popcorn ball.  Chocolate dipping spoons. http://www.instructables.com/id/Vintage-Chocolate-Dipping-Spoons/

If you go with the tea/coffee/dipped spoon route, a mug with a homemade cozy would be a great addition.

Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 1

If she sews and chooses to include a mug, she could a mug rug to include in each basket. It's big enough for a mug and a small snack. She can do a simple design or a complex design and she could even upsell the basket by customizing them, if that's something she has time to do. 

• Like 1

Specialty soaps--gritty gardeners' soap, dry skin oily soap, pine smelling guy soap, lavendar smelling gal soap, red and green Christmas soap. 

Hair rinse (rosemary steeped in water, then strained, and with a touch of organic ACV.  Keep refrigerated.)

Felted soap on a rope for the shower.

Maybe find a creamer at a thrift store to pour the hair rinse from?

• Like 1