Menu

I made a commitment to not waste anymore food - not going well so far.

momee

I've been recognizing the amount of food I end up tossing = whether it is because I was going to make something and didn't, or didn't label the food correctly, or just laziness :(

I was trying to be efficient and think ahead so I boiled a dozen eggs  I then went upstairs to "rest" my eyes for a few minutes while they cooled in water.  12 hours later I came downstairs to find a pot full of cool water holding twelve happy boiled eggs!

I have to throw them out, right?

No, not if they are hard boiled. We routinely leave out hardboiled eggs for a day or two.

ETA: I just read the official stuff that one should not even eat hardboiled eggs left out for more than a couple of hours. I will personally ignore that advice, but don't want to pass on information that goes against the so-called experts.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 7

I used to toss far more.  Then I got serious and meal planned and got a deep freeze.  I was very good about it for a long time.

I am slipping again. 

Produce is the worst.  I am bad about using it all up.  Too much effort to chop and wash and clean up after.

I think the eggs are fine.

Don't feel too bad, I threw away half of a big bowl of tossed salad last night because I made a bigger bowl than we are used to in order to have it already prepared. We didn't eat it up as fast as I thought and some of the veggies in it went bad. Not doing that again. Maybe prep veggies separately. 

• Like 1

I think the eggs are fine.

Don't feel too bad, I threw away half of a big bowl of tossed salad last night because I made a bigger bowl than we are used to in order to have it already prepared. We didn't eat it up as fast as I thought and some of the veggies in it went bad. Not doing that again. Maybe prep veggies separately. 

I wouldn't toss the eggs.  Unless your house is extremely hot at night? 

As far as wasted food goes, I do try to use up food right away since leftovers tend to get shunned here by everyone other than me.  But if for some reason I have to toss food that has gone bad, I compost it.  Many cities even have compost projects now. 

I would eat the eggs. When I was a kid we would dye Easter eggs, my parents would hide them that night, we'd find them the next morning, and we would arrange them in baskets. They got thrown in the fridge sometime Easter night or even the next morning. 

The amount of food we waste is shameful. A few days ago I threw away a couple pounds of chicken that went off in the fridge. That hurt. 

• Like 1

I would use the eggs. I am also trying to stop throwing away food. I think I have some cilantro that will have to be tossed. Ds was supposed to chop it for me to freeze, but he forgot. Grr. Maybe I can salvage some of it.

You can keep your herbs in a vase like fresh flowers. They stay nice for longer, plus you see them. No out of sight, out of mind. 

• Like 5

I've always kind of prided myself on how little food we throw away, but I just learned that the refrigerator  makes a big difference for me! We just moved, and my new fridge is a side-by-side in the corner. I've never had one of those before. It feels so cramped! I feel like I can't see what I have and I have to take stuff out of the fridge just to get a good look at what's in there. It's this weird learning curve that has made my food waste go up simply because I have not been rotating through things properly. Who knew?

ETA: The above is just chit-chat. I was not suggesting you get a new fridge. I realize now that it might sound like that.  :o

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 3

I do the herb thing - it does make a big difference in using them if you see them and can touch them, lol.  When they're in a bag in the crisper = forgeddaboutit.

I put the eggs in the fridge.  I have one with stomach bug today = she hasn't eaten an egg yet.  Now if anyone else gets sick - we'll all be blaming the eggs  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

I've been recognizing the amount of food I end up tossing = whether it is because I was going to make something and didn't, or didn't label the food correctly, or just laziness :(

I was trying to be efficient and think ahead so I boiled a dozen eggs I then went upstairs to "rest" my eyes for a few minutes while they cooled in water. 12 hours later I came downstairs to find a pot full of cool water holding twelve happy boiled eggs!

No, hardboiled eggs are fine. I regularly let my cool in the sink for hours and then put them away when I get around to it. They're a very stable protein even at room temperature. The boiling helps kill any bacteria that would spoil other meat and the shell acts like a nice barrier to that too.

We have fresh eggs from our chickens and regularly leave them on the counter before the fridge for several days or more.

To hard boil and avoid the green discoloration around the yolk, we bring it to a boil and turn it off. The eggs are supposed to sit for 20 minutes, but they routinely sit longer. Even if we do follow up with an ice water bath, we have been known to leave hard boiled eggs out over night. We have never gotten sick from any of these practices.

Think of the thousands of years before refrigerators. There is a reason we know about things like yogurt. :)

Edited by Susan in KY
  • Like 4

I always thought that boiled eggs needed to be refrigerated but then went on vacation with my mother-in-law.  She boiled up a bunch of eggs for a picnic lunch and then I put them in the cooler.   She looked at me like I was crazy.  She and my fil have extensively traveled (lots of third-world countries) and she said that there are millions of people all over the world for which a boiled egg is the perfect portable food mainly because it does not have to be refrigerated.  I learned something new.  I still refrigerate mine most of the time, but I don't worry if they sit out for a bit.

We just moved, and my new fridge is a side-by-side in the corner. I've never had one of those before. It feels so cramped! I feel like I can't see what I have and I have to take stuff out of the fridge just to get a good look at what's in there.

I feel the same way. I hate my side-by-side. I've had one in the past, and said I'd never get one again, but the sunken LED lights at the top changed my mind. (I was so tired of the fridge light fixtures making it hard to place tall things like milk.) And we couldn't find a non side-by-side with the sunken LED lights. So we bought the side-by-side, and I regret it every day. I hate not being able to easily see what is in my fridge. Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

I always thought that boiled eggs needed to be refrigerated but then went on vacation with my mother-in-law. She boiled up a bunch of eggs for a picnic lunch and then I put them in the cooler. She looked at me like I was crazy. She and my fil have extensively traveled (lots of third-world countries) and she said that there are millions of people all over the world for which a boiled egg is the perfect portable food mainly because it does not have to be refrigerated. I learned something new. I still refrigerate mine most of the time, but I don't worry if they sit out for a bit.

My dad hates refrigerated food and is on low-carb diet. Mom boils up a dozen eggs each week, puts them in an egg carton, then puts them in the cupboard for quick lunches or snacks for him.

One thing that really helps me with things like the eggs (or anything in the oven or simmering) is to set a timer. I've been trying to train myself to do it every single time. I get distracted easily when I don't stay in the kitchen, and it's amazing how many times a timer has helped me remember something before it was overcooked or burned.

• Like 3

I was trying to be efficient and think ahead so I boiled a dozen eggs  I then went upstairs to "rest" my eyes for a few minutes while they cooled in water.  12 hours later I came downstairs to find a pot full of cool water holding twelve happy boiled eggs!

Get chickens. :D  They alleviate food guilt because, we reason, nothing really goes to "waste" - just chicken food. ;)

• Like 2

Wanted to report we are all still alive.  No problems at all and that kid with the stomach bug thinks she ate something while in town.  YAY!

In spite of soaking in cool water overnight, the hard boiling still saved us :)

Edited by momee
  • Like 2

No, they're fine, and I would eat them. You don't really need to refrigerate hard boiled eggs.

I was trying to be efficient and think ahead so I boiled a dozen eggs I then went upstairs to "rest" my eyes for a few minutes while they cooled in water. 12 hours later I came downstairs to find a pot full of cool water holding twelve happy boiled eggs!